Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Before start - viewing who you are up against

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
When a PvP match is to start players currently press an okay button. I think on that okay button page should be a display of who you are to be up against and in team play whether they are a randomly sat or a friends team.

This means no more heavily outmatched PvP games and if you know who cheats or who stalks or annoys you or are otherwise on your ignore list you can avoid them. If you are a level 30 and see a match that pits you up against a level 60 whatever you can simply decline after viewing who you will be up against. If you are on a randomly sat team and are placed against a friends sat team that likely has their entire strategy worked out in advance or is actually the same player playing all of their characters, you can simply decline.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
Something like this needs to be instituted. Just like in chess, playing against a stronger opponent can be a good learning experience, but you should have the option of going into it willingly.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
It would be nice to see the element or name. This is actually a good idea with more benefits than drawbacks. only drawback to this I could think of is:

Some people would try to pick opponents they know they can beat. Somehow there could be a way to abuse that. Kind of. But knowing the level would help a lot. This should be in ideas though and not PvP despite it being about PvP.

It's amusing meeting my friends in 1v1 ranked and seeing them go, "aww" XD

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
Actually it wouldn't be helpful at all... That's because people would use shields and more shields by knowing the other player's main school of focus.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
This would create a problem. Not only could you set your gear up to resist the opposing school to 80% in some cases but you can load anti school cards like dispels and shields. Some people set different decks for different schools so switching could be very easy. I could resist fire by 87% when I'm fighting fire and with regular gear there is just no way for them to win.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
travisAk wrote:
This would create a problem. Not only could you set your gear up to resist the opposing school to 80% in some cases but you can load anti school cards like dispels and shields. Some people set different decks for different schools so switching could be very easy. I could resist fire by 87% when I'm fighting fire and with regular gear there is just no way for them to win.

Oh ya, I do stuff like that during the 10 seconds before the fight starts if I can read the opponent based on gear. I switch in more of whatever shield, to lock them out. But at the same time, your opponent will have that opportunity by reading who you are. So it can balance itself out as you both have the ability to prepare for your opponent.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Daviato wrote:
Actually it wouldn't be helpful at all... That's because people would use shields and more shields by knowing the other player's main school of focus.

They would have to make the switch in the time after they sit at the table as I am unable to do any sort of changes when the accept box comes up. Wizard101 can also program it so no equipment changes can be made, and I think they should change it so that players can pre-select what equipment and what deck they want to use when their character enters the arena. Players should be able to play in their normal gear and not have to change into arena gear upon match start. How often have you heard in the arena, oh no, I have the wrong deck, I don't have the right pet, I am not wearing my right this or that?

All of those problems can be addressed and fixed by Wizard101.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
seasnake wrote:
Daviato wrote:

Players should be able to play in their normal gear and not have to change into arena gear upon match start. How often have you heard in the arena, oh no, I have the wrong deck, I don't have the right pet, I am not wearing my right this or that?

That is entirely the opponents fault. It is their fault for not being prepared in the arena. They overlooked something and walked right into a battle. No one should be there to pick up after them like a golf caddy. (A golf caddy is someone who picks up and carries the golfers tool for them from hole to hole)

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Oh ya, I do stuff like that during the 10 seconds before the fight starts if I can read the opponent based on gear. I switch in more of whatever shield, to lock them out. But at the same time, your opponent will have that opportunity by reading who you are. So it can balance itself out as you both have the ability to prepare for your opponent.
so now you have two players with a permanent efreet weakness on eachother? How would this never ending match be any fun? I've been in this situation before, If this were in ranked people would only choose to fight schools with weaknesses to theirs and the other would never accept. Sry but I think this is a bad idea. You want to know your opponent beforehand you can do it in practice.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
What you are refering to mostly applies to low level dueiling. At level 18 my myth wiz, Jared Drake, began dueling I got him to warlord before he hit level 20. The system then began pairing me with level 50 wizards who have no prior dueling experience. That is where the difference lies. They system is supposed to even out matches by matching a combination of level and rank. If it is getting to difficult to duel, maybe you should take a break and level...

Jared Drake
Level 56 Myth

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
seasnake wrote:
Daviato wrote:

Players should be able to play in their normal gear and not have to change into arena gear upon match start. How often have you heard in the arena, oh no, I have the wrong deck, I don't have the right pet, I am not wearing my right this or that?

That is entirely the opponents fault. It is their fault for not being prepared in the arena. They overlooked something and walked right into a battle. No one should be there to pick up after them like a golf caddy. (A golf caddy is someone who picks up and carries the golfers tool for them from hole to hole)

sometimes matches take awhile to start and sometimes you want to train your pet or play the game while waiting for matches to begin... it is a pain to have gear that you prefer to use in the arena that is different than your normal playing gear cause you always have to switch things over

Armiger
May 10, 2010
seasnake wrote:
CorbinW wrote:
seasnake wrote:
Daviato wrote:

sometimes matches take awhile to start and sometimes you want to train your pet or play the game while waiting for matches to begin... it is a pain to have gear that you prefer to use in the arena that is different than your normal playing gear cause you always have to switch things over

Well Seasnake, my suggestion is this, since you have SO much time to think about what is wrong with PvP and Spells and the Game in General, you use the time while waiting for a match to think of more things you would like changed, instead of doing other things, to where you are not prepared for your match.

It is a players responsability to be ready and prepared for the match, not KI's.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Well Seasnake, my suggestion is this, since you have SO much time to think about what is wrong with PvP and Spells and the Game in General, you use the time while waiting for a match to think of more things you would like changed, instead of doing other things, to where you are not prepared for your match.

It is a players responsability to be ready and prepared for the match, not KI's.

Never thought I would ask anyone for this on the forum but, Darth can I 1V1 against your fire? Sometime tomorrow? You make the date and whatever if you say yes.

I will of course, be using my myth. (As if I would even dare use another type of wizard.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
darthjt wrote:
seasnake wrote:
CorbinW wrote:
seasnake wrote:
Daviato wrote:

I play 4v4 a lot, and typically always have the gear I want on upon entering, but I still constantly hear from others on either side of the arena "oh, no, I forgot to change my this or that for arena play." I feel bad for the player and the player's team no matter which side they are on when this happens and it occurs frequent enough.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Never thought I would ask anyone for this on the forum but, Darth can I 1V1 against your fire? Sometime tomorrow? You make the date and whatever if you say yes.

I will of course, be using my myth. (As if I would even dare use another type of wizard.

Sure you can! Tomorrow is Friday, May 27th, say around 2pm est? Wu Realm!

Just look for John NightBringer, I will be in red.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
seasnake wrote:
darthjt wrote:
seasnake wrote:
CorbinW wrote:
seasnake wrote:
Daviato wrote:

I play 4v4 a lot, and typically always have the gear I want on upon entering, but I still constantly hear from others on either side of the arena "oh, no, I forgot to change my this or that for arena play." I feel bad for the player and the player's team no matter which side they are on when this happens and it occurs frequent enough.

Personally, if you ask me, it is an excuse if they lose, that is why they say it. Because most people can't stand to lose, so when they do, they want to have a reason, not that you won fair and square!

Explorer
Jul 14, 2009
If you could see who you were fighting i would never go in against a life or an ice.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, it is almost 3pm, I was a half hour late which is my fault, I got tied up in something and was a little late! Was hoping you would have waited for me. Guess we will have to reschedule if you don't show up soon.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
I could not agree more.

We should absolutely be able to see the player's RANK and LEVEL before OKing the match! This would allow players to decide if they want to risk fighting against an experienced player who has ranked down, because the loss in points is just so huge.

KI, you really need to think this one over, it's a great idea.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Well, it is almost 3pm, I was a half hour late which is my fault, I got tied up in something and was a little late! Was hoping you would have waited for me. Guess we will have to reschedule if you don't show up soon.

Oh yeah, i did wait. I was around commons and unicorn way even pet pavilion from 1:40 to about 2:20. i even asked a few times "nightbringer" but no answer. So I just gave up on it.

That's fine. It's hard to set up date with moderation on these forums. nevermind. If I see you around sometime, I'll bug you then.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Josh1128Sh wrote:
I could not agree more.

We should absolutely be able to see the player's RANK and LEVEL before OKing the match! This would allow players to decide if they want to risk fighting against an experienced player who has ranked down, because the loss in points is just so huge.

KI, you really need to think this one over, it's a great idea.

I think choosing who and who you are not going up against is part of a good PvP strategy. Cheating is going to occur no matter what you do, but at least the good players can avoid matches they feel just aren't right. Case in point, I just saw a badly equipped myth that was at level 48, the level required for earth quake, its win/loss record was over 1000 wins and something like 20 matches, and you just know it was likely only being used for dispels and earthquake type cards of a team that likely consisted of characters ran by the same person as something just didn't look quite right there.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Oh yeah, i did wait. I was around commons and unicorn way even pet pavilion from 1:40 to about 2:20. i even asked a few times "nightbringer" but no answer. So I just gave up on it.

That's fine. It's hard to set up date with moderation on these forums. nevermind. If I see you around sometime, I'll bug you then.

You guys need to choose an exact place to meet, for example, the unicorn statue on unicorn way.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
but only the level, i like how you can hide your element from them till you use it so when they try to shield they dont know what to choose. its a type of strategy some people use including me.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
ebilmage wrote:
but only the level, i like how you can hide your element from them till you use it so when they try to shield they dont know what to choose. its a type of strategy some people use including me.

I don't really need to know their school or equipment, but I want to know their names, their levels, and if they are friends sat or randomly sat as I prefer to sit on randomly sat teams while going up against randomly sat teams rather than ever sitting on a randomly sat team and going up against against the same person or a team that has everything pre-planned out.