Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Times in a row Insane Bolt has Killed caster.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 08, 2009
Here's a method I've seen some people do:

1. Use the tower shield on yourself (when you are strongly debuffed).

2. cast the Insane Bolt spell.

3. If it backfires, you won't take so much damage. If you survive, heal, quickly!

4. If it doesn't backfire, boom, one thousand damage coming right up!

All though, I do agree that 20% backfire chance is a little much. Maybe 10, 15% would be tolerable. But 20% is pretty much guarenteed to backfire at least once in a battle. I suggest you only use it in a dire situation.

Best of luck,

Tabitha Spiritsong

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
I think people are complaining way to much about this spell. Of course it would have to do 10,000 to yourself if your unlucky, its suppose to kill you if you dont do the thousand. This is a last ditch spell in case your health is low. BTW you cant use a storm shield on yourself to protect you. Its MOON damage not storm. Was just kinda wondering why your boost attack to storm works for moon but storm shields don't protect you????

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
darthjt wrote:
You know, for people giving advice on how to post and not be insulting, some of you should not take things so personally either!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if they are wrong!

What is important, is that we don't take things personally. Remember, you can only read words, so you don't always get the true meaning behind them.

Some things are sarcastic, some things are blunt.

As far as Insane bolt is concerned, it is not a spell that is meant to be used every single round, that would certainly make storm too overpowered!

However, since everyone spams storm shields and storm does not have a good DOT spell, this is one possibly way to bypass those shields!

There is a risk though, now, some are very unfortunate, but those are usually the ones that cast this spell every round or every other round, yes you will die!

I personally, think this is a great spell!

I agree completely. I dont think that this spell is meant for every round. Storm was already wild and this is a perfect spell for a crazy storm wizard. ( like me ) This is my favorite spell in the whole game cause of its unpredictability. Glad at least someone else like this spell. :D

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
hp1055cm wrote:
I think it is a useless spell too. Why does it do 10X damage to yourself anyway? Seems like it should be the other way around. What a let down for Storm - Two useless spells.

A "Hail Mary" spell? yeah, how often do you need that, and you are going to stock you deck with those and not discard them so you have them when you have only two pips and low health... yeah that happens all the time. Myself I would use Bats with Gargantuan or Wild Bolt with Gargantuan; or better yet use a shield or a fairy.
imagine this scenario: you're in a fight with a tough boss solo and your health is 200 and you have no heal cards in hand with low pips. The boss has 1500 health left and ready to attack. Insane bolt gives you a small chance to hit for 1700 with damage boosts and kill where you had no chance before. What other school has anything like this.

I think this was a great move by KI and adds a truly fun and unique spell to storms arsenal. I want to congratulate the team for this update, new world, new spells, new pets, new crafts :) thx for making a great game even better.

Explorer
Dec 21, 2008
now a days about every person has over 2,000 health including the bosses. The insane bolt is too strong to kill the caster. I sugest kingsisle to make it2,000 to yourself or the enemy instead of us diviners dieng ever round. Today my insane bolt killed me 2 or 3 times in a row. I was fighting a boss over 3,000 life. It turned out that I killed myself.I think this is too unfair . 10,000 to our selves. Us diviners do have low life and that is the issue.

MathewBoomhammer lvl 60

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
waleedprw wrote:
now a days about every person has over 2,000 health including the bosses. The insane bolt is too strong to kill the caster. I sugest kingsisle to make it2,000 to yourself or the enemy instead of us diviners dieng ever round. Today my insane bolt killed me 2 or 3 times in a row. I was fighting a boss over 3,000 life. It turned out that I killed myself.I think this is too unfair . 10,000 to our selves. Us diviners do have low life and that is the issue.

MathewBoomhammer lvl 60

The point of Insane Bolt (when it backfires) is to kill you. Lowering the damage it does to storm wizards no longer accomplishes that objective. Also, the more times you use Insane Bolt, the more times it will kill you. When you gamble those are the odds you take.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2011
I did a quick sampling on the insane bolt and used it for twenty times.
9 times I got hit. LoL. And I thought the chance to self destruct is 20%. So yeah, I don't use it.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2011
Alright I did another sampling or test on this spell.
I cast this spell thirty times and it hit me 14 times.

Combined this with my previous test, cast it 20 times and got hit 9 times. that is a total of 50 tries with the caster being hit 23 times. That is 46% of total.

first test, hit is 45%
second test is 46%

I am still going to test this but now it seems that the caster can be hit 46% of the time when he uses this spell rather than 20%

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
I have to agree with all the people who said shield yourself before using insane bolt.. It makes the most sense to me.. I was in pvp and someone used insane bolt and they killed themselves, and I won.. I felt bad for the guy, but I sat there and laughed my butt off for 5 minutes after the match was over.. The crowd got a pretty good laugh too- but I must admit- if they guy would have shielded himself before using it- he would not have died.

They did not MESS up insane bolt as I have read.. The spell was intended to be like this-

And yes- all schools did get new spells.. They aren't high level spells but WE ALL did get one.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
I think I should offer an opinion to this topic.
Insane bolt.
It isn't a spell that really carries much power, the risk of killing yourself is too high for consistant use, but that being said I do believe that it is a good spell.

It usually finishes people off and also causes some real anger from the other team :D

I'm glad about the new resists for all schools, it does help to neutralise ice a bit but I still think KI have quite a way to go before all schools are fair. The thing is with new spells and variation coming out all the time, it is nearly impossible to balance out all the schools, the two main schools that are used for PvP are storm and ice so little attention is paid to lower schools like life (not that life is any less important than other schools just that it is less often used in PvP)

But when it comes to PvE like the Waterworks nobody wants ice on their team, but everybody wants at least one life and as many storms as possible.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
i just got my spell last night and for this i hired 3 life henchmen (they kept dying) to try for? a spell i will NEVER EVER use! heck I wont waste pips on wild bolt since they changed it back in beginning of CL, this is WORSE!

ok- i have another storm in the fjord- guess what?? i am NOT going to bother getting the spell again - NOT WORTH IT

heck i rarely use the fire one - commited suicide the first time i used it - was against the krok queen- and fire's spell is NOTHING like this storm one

i have made sure my storms have all the extra power attributes i can buy or craft
pets help and auras/blades and i am successful, i dont even bother with that new blade spell- not worth the pip use- i'll use life/ice/fire spells but NO WAY the storms

ok- add that to not being able to make the WT crafted clothing and wow- Storm is really on KI's bad people list I guess-

i love my storms i really do!!

kira of many legends

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
Although i will say it would be nice if insane bolt did 1250, the fact that it can kill you is the reason why it wont end up like old wild bolt, constantly spamed in arena. If you truely think it is a good idea to have a 2 pip spell that does 1000 damage base without any consequence, then I suggest you think about what that would do to the balance of the game. For all those who want wild bolt back to the way it was, think about this. Wild bolt(10%accuracy)+level 58 celestia gear(26%)+unstopable treasure(30%)+star spells(10%)+pet abilities. Thats 76% accuracy before you even add the pet, to deal 1000 damage along with your damage boost. Wild bolt simply isn't fair the way it used to be with all the accuracy boosts, it was never intended to be something reliable. Thank you for listening plz search my name in the message bodies if you want to see more of my posts.

This message has been brought to you by Lost Souls, I think they died without playing wizard101.
5stepstoofar

Survivor
Sep 28, 2010
Honestly, as a storm wizard, I very often use Insane bolt as a "Last resort" spell. In other words, when I know i'm going to be killed next turn, or when I have no other way of winning. So, in situations where I have nothing to lose. If I kill myself, oh well, the other guy would have killed me next turn anyway.....if I hit him with it....he's dead.

In no way is Insane Bolt usesless. It's storm's ONLY "last resort". Wild bolt is a last resort too I could say, but it's much less effective than Insane bolt, considering Insane bolt's chances of hitting for 1000 base damage is 50%. I've saved myself in pvp 3 times today using Insane bolt, when I would have lost otherwise. And I even played around and used it in the beginning of the duel, got a critical and ended the duel in the first round.......

So saying it's useless is kinda silly. Diviners should know that a risky spell is perfect for a risky, take chances kinda school, am I right, or am I right? :)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
LoganThunderblade wrote:
Honestly, as a storm wizard, I very often use Insane bolt as a "Last resort" spell. In other words, when I know i'm going to be killed next turn, or when I have no other way of winning. So, in situations where I have nothing to lose. If I kill myself, oh well, the other guy would have killed me next turn anyway.....if I hit him with it....he's dead.

In no way is Insane Bolt usesless. It's storm's ONLY "last resort". Wild bolt is a last resort too I could say, but it's much less effective than Insane bolt, considering Insane bolt's chances of hitting for 1000 base damage is 50%. I've saved myself in pvp 3 times today using Insane bolt, when I would have lost otherwise. And I even played around and used it in the beginning of the duel, got a critical and ended the duel in the first round.......

So saying it's useless is kinda silly. Diviners should know that a risky spell is perfect for a risky, take chances kinda school, am I right, or am I right? :)

Let's admit. Over time, the use of the spell will increase as storm wizards increase base health and who knows what other shielding spells are coming down the line. A level 90 storm wizard survival with this spell is likely greater than any current level 60 chances. But how many wizards will remember this spell in their deck when that time comes, or will it be forgotten like Soothe or Lightning Bats?

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Well, while I agree Insane Bolt has it's uses.... I rather stick with my chances of Wild Bolt.

I won't even bother questing Insane Bolt unless I absolutely had to undertake the quest to progress through the story.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

I personally DO NOT like insane bolt! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Its so funny when someone zapps themself for 20k damage. I'm sorry but i have to roll over laughing. I haven't learned this spell yet though, I was planning and waiting for the next world release but that could take forever and i need the spell :D so Hrundle Fjord, here I come. There is a storm wizard on the loose!!!!!!!!!!!

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
in my opinion insane bolt is only good if you are almost dead and the enemy will most likely kill you next round i have a true friend that is level 60 storm
and that's all he uses it for if i was storm i would only keep about three in my deck

Chase Mythrunner - level 60 myth - waterworks worrier

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
ok no one seems to understand the use of insane bolt or even wild bolt.

First of all you should not use these spells repeatedly or for two or more consecutive turns.

Wild bolt- its best to use it on the first turn; whether in PvP or PvE. Its a gamble. You could kill your opponent or you could just hit for 1 damage or 226/251 on the case of a gargantuan.

Insane bolt- this should be used when you are low on health and your opponent have the upperhand. If you zap yourself; you probably would have lost the match anyways or you could win by an insane move!

Thats it in a nutshell. For those of you who are spamming (using this spell excessively) this spell; you will find that you are at a disadvantage. Its a fail safe mechanism that i think KI put in place just to discourage this sort of behavior.

The more you use the spell, the more likely you are to kill youself; i think that is reasonable.

perhaps some other spells should be like this; the more you use it the greater chance you have of fizzling. Spell like dispels, weakness, smoke screen, plague, stuns, just to name a few.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I must say Nico, you hit the nail on the head on this one... Excellent post, very well said. Now, take the hint all you spam insane bolters!

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
darthjt wrote:
I must say Nico, you hit the nail on the head on this one... Excellent post, very well said. Now, take the hint all you spam insane bolters!

Yeah I must give kudos to KI. i think they sought to fix the problem of spamming these spells. If everyone was successfully hitting people with Insane Bolt, we'd have another massive outcry from PvP-ers on this forum about how storm is TOO OP and Insane bolt needs to be fixed.

As soon as people realize that, look, this spell could seriously kill you then they won't spam it. Whomever wishes not to use it because it is not reliable; DON'T USE IT! This means that you have been abusing the spell.

I seen people use it once and BAM. Luska got Zapped! They tried that again and WHAM, they got zapped! ROTFL

Use it at your own risk; that's the whole point of the "insane" behind the BOLT. You could very well be zapped so be prepared for that! :D

Shall we get on with it then?

Class is dismissed until next week

Survivor
May 17, 2009
actually there is one other defense against insane bolt that will work if you want to use the strategy. Now of course nobody is gonna stock there deck up with absorbs but there is a spell called ice armor ( 125 absorb damage per pip, 10% chance of fizzle) and also a better modified version of the spell called frozen armor ( 185 damage absorb per pip, 0% chance of fizzle). Since Insane bolt only cost 2 pips why not get to max pips and use frozen armor ( if you have an ice mastery amulet power pips will count for a lot). From there use a tower shield and cast away. If the 1/5 chance does come up where you are hit hopefully these 2 shields will block most of the damage. Also I just looked up the spell on the wiki ( I do not know if it was updated) but it says on the card that insane bolt IS a storm spell but it does moon damage, so thats why only diviners get the spell and storm shields will not effect the spell.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tomschase wrote:
actually there is one other defense against insane bolt that will work if you want to use the strategy. Now of course nobody is gonna stock there deck up with absorbs but there is a spell called ice armor ( 125 absorb damage per pip, 10% chance of fizzle) and also a better modified version of the spell called frozen armor ( 185 damage absorb per pip, 0% chance of fizzle). Since Insane bolt only cost 2 pips why not get to max pips and use frozen armor ( if you have an ice mastery amulet power pips will count for a lot). From there use a tower shield and cast away. If the 1/5 chance does come up where you are hit hopefully these 2 shields will block most of the damage. Also I just looked up the spell on the wiki ( I do not know if it was updated) but it says on the card that insane bolt IS a storm spell but it does moon damage, so thats why only diviners get the spell and storm shields will not effect the spell.

Because I believe the main issue with the wizard's complaints above, is that the casting wizard is using insane bolt on the first turn (since it only costs 2 pips). Not enough time to stack up Ice/Frozen Armor, but yes Ice Shield will work on a first turn situation.

Also, anyone can cast Insane Bolt as there is an amulet in Wintertusk that has the spell on it.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
This thing is nuts! I'd only ever heard of Insane Bolt, until I got a treasure-card version from a drop in Wintertusk- took a chance, and totally K.O.ed myself within the opening minutes of the battle; I'm actually kinda proud of it.

Slightly off-topic here: I have a diviner, though she is not my primary character and is still very low-level- do Storm wizards have higher odds of casting one of these successfully, or not? If someone can answer this (or direct me to someone who can), it would be much-appreciated.

Laura Shadowsong, Lv. 60 Legendary Sorcerer
Sestiva Stormblade, Lv. 6 Apprentice Diviner,
& my many other aliases.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
This thing is nuts! I'd only ever heard of Insane Bolt, until I got a treasure-card version from a drop in Wintertusk- took a chance, and totally K.O.ed myself within the opening minutes of the battle; I'm actually kinda proud of it.

Slightly off-topic here: I have a diviner, though she is not my primary character and is still very low-level- do Storm wizards have higher odds of casting one of these successfully, or not? If someone can answer this (or direct me to someone who can), it would be much-appreciated.

& my many other aliases.

Insane Bolt is a 100% accuracy spell. To my knowledge there is no way to affect the "hidden" percentage of whether you will kill yourself or not. No way to help yourself stay out of the deadly 20% for any school.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:

& my many other aliases.

I quite assure you my storm wizard does not at all believe it has a lower chance at zapping itself than non-storm wizards do. Five times in a row, lol.