Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Times in a row Insane Bolt has Killed caster.

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
On day one, my record is five times in a row. This is out of around 11 total casting attempts.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
seasnake wrote:
On day one, my record is five times in a row. This is out of around 11 total casting attempts.

that's almost 50% of the time.

a 20% chance per casting is WAY too high to make this a spell worth taking a risk on. a 1% chance the first casting in any single battle (reset to base at the end of the battle), adding 1% more each time it's cast in a round, with an additional plus modifier based on how much damage each casting does, that would be valid. That way, the more you use it in a battle, and the more damage you do with it, the more chance there is for you to blow yourself up.

Right now, it's worthless.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
seasnake wrote:

a 20% chance per casting is WAY too high to make this a spell worth taking a risk on. a 1% chance the first casting in any single battle (reset to base at the end of the battle), adding 1% more each time it's cast in a round, with an additional plus modifier based on how much damage each casting does, that would be valid. That way, the more you use it in a battle, and the more damage you do with it, the more chance there is for you to blow yourself up.

I kind of like the idea of a base % chance at the beginning and having it become riskier each time casted at any particular table. 5%, 15% and 10% more each time after seams fair and fun.

The first five times I casted it went without killing me. The next five every single time. I've used it twice after that and they both didn't kill me. Not sure how others are fairing as one person's experience can be quite a bit different than what is the norm. I'm kind of proud I killed myself five times in a row as that is a bit comical.

Historian
May 01, 2010
seasnake wrote:

*sigh* i actually like insane bolt, not at first before i knew it was only 20% killing yourself,but anyway. he is just having some bad luck.
also crysatalwizard, it is supposed to be a HAIL MARY SPELLS so, with all hail mary spells, there is always a risk, and, reliable doing 1000-2000 for 2 pips? did you even look at that? i see that WILL be abused, if they changed it to that, and they would have to make it useless like wild bolt

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I think it is a useless spell too. Why does it do 10X damage to yourself anyway? Seems like it should be the other way around. What a let down for Storm - Two useless spells.

A "Hail Mary" spell? yeah, how often do you need that, and you are going to stock you deck with those and not discard them so you have them when you have only two pips and low health... yeah that happens all the time. Myself I would use Bats with Gargantuan or Wild Bolt with Gargantuan; or better yet use a shield or a fairy.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
hp1055cm wrote:
I think it is a useless spell too. Why does it do 10X damage to yourself anyway? Seems like it should be the other way around. What a let down for Storm - Two useless spells.

A "Hail Mary" spell? yeah, how often do you need that, and you are going to stock you deck with those and not discard them so you have them when you have only two pips and low health... yeah that happens all the time. Myself I would use Bats with Gargantuan or Wild Bolt with Gargantuan; or better yet use a shield or a fairy.

Would you use Bats or Wild Bolt if the enemy is double stacked with two Storm and two Myth shields (Balance bosses anyone???)? Insane Bolt is your friend in that desperate situation.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
LOLZ,

It's a lightning spell. It's supposed to be wildly unpredictable and potentially harmful to the user. Real lightning is just like that, isn't it? Try to harness its power at one's own risk...

Storm shield prior to using the spell should dampen its effects, if the spell works like Immolate.

Happy casting,

Scarlet Ravensong

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
LOLZ,

It's a lightning spell. It's supposed to be wildly unpredictable and potentially harmful to the user. Real lightning is just like that, isn't it? Try to harness its power at one's own risk...

Storm shield prior to using the spell should dampen its effects, if the spell works like Immolate.

Happy casting,

Scarlet Ravensong

Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but you do know it either deals 1,000 damage to the target or 10,000 damage to the caster?! I don't know about you, but I'm sure one would need more than a simple Storm Shield to counteract the spell if it went wrong. I like risky spells, but when you mix risky with "wildly unpredictable", the only place for that spell in the deck of any wizard, never mind a Diviner, is the discard pile. A ridiculously great risk for a somewhat ordinary reward? Who would take that?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but you do know it either deals 1,000 damage to the target or 10,000 damage to the caster

Was in battle with a storm the other day who cast it. She criticaled. She had no other boost on it and she did more than 42,000 damage to herself.

Hail Mary of spells? Okay, in real world terms, IF it was always available but ONLY if you ran out of spells and IF it was your only last ditch effort and IF...

Face it - you lose nothing in this game but time if you die. There's no reason for a hail mary of anything. And you never run out of spells if you are intelligent and have a reshuffle card in your deck. And you never get to the point where you only have 2 pips and have to kill something fast. Wait a turn, you'll have more. It's one of those things that would be great in the real world IF magic worked and if you lost, you lost everything, forever. But in this game that's not the case. To simulate that, you' have to run the risk of having your character deleted if you didn't win the battle, so that you had nothing left to lose, might as well cast it and hope it worked.

And as far as this goes:

>Would you use Bats or Wild Bolt if the enemy is double stacked with two Storm and two Myth shields

Who cares how many shields they have on themselves? The game is only going to use one of each type. So he might have two storm shields, but only one is coming off in any round. And Insane Bolt is a MOON spell not a storm spell, a storm shield isn't going to stop it, and a myth shield never stops storm anyway.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I don't use it all the time, maybe 6 or 7 times total so far, but not once has it back fired on me yet. Are you trying to use this spell every round?

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
LOLZ,

Happy casting,

Scarlet Ravensong

Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but you do know it either deals 1,000 damage to the target or 10,000 damage to the caster?! I don't know about you, but I'm sure one would need more than a simple Storm Shield to counteract the spell if it went wrong. I like risky spells, but when you mix risky with "wildly unpredictable", the only place for that spell in the deck of any wizard, never mind a Diviner, is the discard pile. A ridiculously great risk for a somewhat ordinary reward? Who would take that?

Ya know, AH,

You regularly insult the intelligence of posters to these forums. What's new? Get over yourself.

I AM free to make an observation. I am free to disagree with you. And I AM free to say that "Yeah, Insane Bolt is just like real lightning". You are FREE to discard the spell, and you are FREE to ignore my post. Please do so frequently in the future.

It has nothing to do with my intelligence, just my opinion. Can you comprehend?

Scarlet

Armiger
May 10, 2010
You do realize, that the only shields to block this are the tower shields right? However, it only has a 20% chance to backfire!

So, it is not meant to be used every single time as an attack spell, because if you do that, you are bound to die!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Fortunately, since I refrained from training a storm wizard, it won't affect me, except as a new danger to prepare for in PvP.

You know, darthj, I did not know that Insane Bolt is a Moon spell. Given that specific, it would take a very strong tower shield to prepare for wildly unpredictable casting. Wouldn't a 90% tower be nice? I wonder if there's a crafted 90% tower shield? I have seen bosses use them...

Another question: How much resist to storm can a storm wizard get in gear? This might be something that crafted gear can provide. Did anyone check the new gear recipes in Wintertusk and calculate resist boosts?

Anyway, this leads me to questions for KI: (which I will also post in a new message)

Why did storm get a spell from a new school of magic? Did any of the other schools get new magic? I know that Life and Fire do not get new magic in Wintertusk. Is this favoritism toward Storm? Or is there more new magic to come???

Scarlet/Iridian/Moira

Survivor
Mar 06, 2011
IMHO, if an opponent was able to cast a 1000 damage spell on the FIRST turn, i would want some risk for them. Thats 2000 damage by turn 4 if they use it twice. Having said that, I do find that the reprocussion of failure is very steep. 10x the intended cast is rather crazy. i think a better option would be at most 4-5 thousand.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009

And as far as this goes:

>Would you use Bats or Wild Bolt if the enemy is double stacked with two Storm and two Myth shields

Who cares how many shields they have on themselves? The game is only going to use one of each type. So he might have two storm shields, but only one is coming off in any round. And Insane Bolt is a MOON spell not a storm spell, a storm shield isn't going to stop it, and a myth shield never stops storm anyway.

I assume your addressing me. By double stack, I mean two different types of storm shields and yes, bosses do this type of shielding (not every single one, but bosses that are or paired with Balance do this). Even so, lots of PvP wizards use that defense strategy too. Also, I do realize Insane Bolt is moon damage that was the point of my post. My comment was if an enemy (PvE or PvP) is double stacked with storm shields why would someone use Bats or Wild Bolt??? Insane bolt would be a better use (and no other schools were available).

Defender
Feb 28, 2010
You cannot use a storm shield with Insane Bolt... it might be lightning, but technically it's not a storm spell.. it shows right on the card that it is Moon Damage, it's an aura spell... so the only thing that will shield you is towers.. a -50 and -55 are not going to save a Storm wizard, and if so, it will be just barely.

This is once again a foolish spell by KI... it has no relevant use. It might be beneficial to use it on a last ditch attempt at killing an opponent, if you know that you are going to die if they get a chance to cast. This has about as much odds as Russian Roullette!

Survivor
Feb 04, 2011
Ah i got killed by insane bolt again! Is wizard101 trying to kill us? why do they have to make insane bolt like this? Wizard101 anybody why do you make this evil spell!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
052541savanah wrote:
Wizard101 anybody why do you make this evil spell!

Some designer thought it was a good idea. What they didn't think was how it would actually be used in the game. And now they're not listening to the players, either. They didn't listen during beta test, just made excuses, and they're not listening now. Just take it out of your deck and don't use it. It's a space waster.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Ya know, AH,

You regularly insult the intelligence of posters to these forums. What's new? Get over yourself.

I AM free to make an observation. I am free to disagree with you. And I AM free to say that "Yeah, Insane Bolt is just like real lightning". You are FREE to discard the spell, and you are FREE to ignore my post. Please do so frequently in the future.

Scarlet

All I was doing was disagreeing with you and this is what happens? *sigh* I give up. I try not to come off insulting or condescending, but it obviously isn't working. It's just the way I am. I've already apologized for it, and I'm not going to apologize again. Instead, I'm just going to leave so no one has to be insulted by me again. Bye, Forum. I knew thee well.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
geez, first they mess up wild bolt, now the insane bolt :?

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
Ya know, AH,

Scarlet

All I was doing was disagreeing with you and this is what happens? *sigh* I give up. I try not to come off insulting or condescending, but it obviously isn't working. It's just the way I am. I've already apologized for it, and I'm not going to apologize again. Instead, I'm just going to leave so no one has to be insulted by me again. Bye, Forum. I knew thee well.

Akihiro, out of all the people I've seen posting, you've definitely insulted a gargantuan amount of people (including me, I knew it well). Here's a suggestion. Insult less and you shall not be insulted as much. It's the simple fact of the universe.

No, you should not leave this Fourm, but you should just lay off on your well, "rude commenting".

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
mman17 wrote:
Akihiro, out of all the people I've seen posting, you've definitely insulted a gargantuan amount of people (including me, I knew it well). Here's a suggestion. Insult less and you shall not be insulted as much. It's the simple fact of the universe.

No, you should not leave this Fourm, but you should just lay off on your well, "rude commenting".

You just don't get it: that's the way I give feedback. I don't find the way I give feedback offensive, but without question others do. It's not that I refuse to change myself to appease strangers (although it's pointless and ridiculous), I simply can't. This is why I will continue reading the Forum's threads, but my fingers will stay off my keyboard.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

You just don't get it: that's the way I give feedback. I don't find the way I give feedback offensive, but without question others do. It's not that I refuse to change myself to appease strangers (although it's pointless and ridiculous), I simply can't. This is why I will continue reading the Forum's threads, but my fingers will stay off my keyboard.

Fairly simple fix, if you're interested. This is what I do at least.

1. write out what you want to say the way you want to say it.

2. step back, relax, re-read it, think

3. edit your post. revising out phrasing that might be too harsh, thinking about how it might hit someone else. Also fixing anything that is confusing or unclear.

4. step back, think, let the emotions go if there are any

5. re read again, edit again if necessary.

eventually you'll have a post that says what you want, and is phrased in a manner that is both clear and that won't get other people's ire up.

If necessary, have someone else read it before you post and point out where possible issues are that you might want to rephrase further.

once it's finished with revisions, post it.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
052541savanah wrote:
Ah i got killed by insane bolt again! Is wizard101 trying to kill us? why do they have to make insane bolt like this? Wizard101 anybody why do you make this evil spell!

because storm has really low health and they took bolt.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
You know, for people giving advice on how to post and not be insulting, some of you should not take things so personally either!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if they are wrong!

What is important, is that we don't take things personally. Remember, you can only read words, so you don't always get the true meaning behind them.

Some things are sarcastic, some things are blunt.

As far as Insane bolt is concerned, it is not a spell that is meant to be used every single round, that would certainly make storm too overpowered!

However, since everyone spams storm shields and storm does not have a good DOT spell, this is one possibly way to bypass those shields!

There is a risk though, now, some are very unfortunate, but those are usually the ones that cast this spell every round or every other round, yes you will die!

I personally, think this is a great spell!