Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

NOT created equal...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 16, 2011
Shield and Charm spells are not created equal when it comes to all Elf Spells.
For instance: when you use a -70% fire shield and have a Fire Elf Spell cast against you, only the initial (first) hit is reduced by 70% but the following 3 hits are not reduced at all, but hit you at 100%. But, when an enemy uses a +30% fire charm and then casts a Fire Elf Spell on you, all 4 hits are increased by 30%, NOT just the first one. This happens on all elf spells (i.e. fire, ice, or storm).
One would think it should be the same for both shields AND charms. Either they both should increase/decrease spell damage on all 4 hits OR only the first hit equally. :-(

If you agree, please say so.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Firewalkur wrote:
For instance: when you use a -70% fire shield and have a Fire Elf Spell cast against you, only the initial (first) hit is reduced by 70% but the following 3 hits are not reduced at all, but hit you at 100%. But, when an enemy uses a +30% fire charm and then casts a Fire Elf Spell on you, all 4 hits are increased by 30%, NOT just the first one. This happens on all elf spells (i.e. fire, ice, or storm).
One would think it should be the same for both shields AND charms. Either they both should increase/decrease spell damage on all 4 hits OR only the first hit equally. :-(

I don't see any reason why the spells players cast should be identical to what the enemies cast even if they look the same.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Firewalkur wrote:

Shields and traps are both wards, and I think you'll find that they work in a similar fashion. Blades and weakness, on the other hand, are both charms and I think you'll find that they both work in a similar fashion. There is no disparity there...

Historian
May 01, 2010
Firewalkur wrote:

fire elf was halfway made to take away shields, halfway made to take a good amount of damage. since fire elf takes away shields, only the damage that that would have done is reduced, not the whole spell.

oh btw ki, could you make this true for dragon, i am tired of frost bones reducing all of dragons damage, not just the initial hit, by 50% when they have a tower up

Explorer
Oct 28, 2010
Changing the way charms and wards work would seriously hinder the DoT spells. The whole purpose of a DoT is to eliminate the shield and still be effective. Personally, I think the way it is currently works well. It forces players to think creatively when choosing their spells.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Firewalkur wrote:
Shield and Charm spells are not created equal when it comes to all Elf Spells. For instance: when you use a -70% fire shield and have a Fire Elf Spell cast against you, only the initial (first) hit is reduced by 70% but the following 3 hits are not reduced at all, but hit you at 100%. But, when an enemy uses a +30% fire charm and then casts a Fire Elf Spell on you, all 4 hits are increased by 30%, NOT just the first one. This happens on all elf spells (i.e. fire, ice, or storm). One would think it should be the same for both shields AND charms. Either they both should increase/decrease spell damage on all 4 hits OR only the first hit equally. :-( If you agree, please say so.
the fire elf and other DOT spells work as they should and as intended for blades and wards. if you want to reduce the damage for each hit, put up a shield each turn.the strategic point of them is to get rid of shields on the weak hit.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
As I see it, the weakness affects the entire spell because that is its effect to enchant the entire spell when it is cast, now the shields only work when they are hit, cutting back the damage from that hit, not give the user an overall effect for a duration. In other words, charms effect the entire spell, whereas shields effect the actual hit, no matter how big or small, it only work when it is hit and is not a "spell" enhancement card.