Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire overpowered/ Ice is not

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
I am sick of everyone complaining about ice. Why dont you all take a good look at which school is really dominating pvp, it is not ice, it is fire! There is no good way to shield against fire, the DOT's just keep knocking out the shields and then with efreet you can not get in a good hit. Watch some duels with ice and you will see they are not the ones winning.

Defender
Feb 17, 2009
legomaster01 wrote:
I am sick of everyone complaining about ice. Why dont you all take a good look at which school is really dominating pvp, it is not ice, it is fire! There is no good way to shield against fire, the DOT's just keep knocking out the shields and then with efreet you can not get in a good hit. Watch some duels with ice and you will see they are not the ones winning.

Well, all schools are pretty well balanced. It depends on the skill of the dueler.

Thomas Swiftthistle, Legendary Ice

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
legomaster01 wrote:

Fire isn't overpowered either. No one is. Fire wizards have some very good strategic options and very good damage. However, they are like every other school and have their weaknesses as well. Ranked PvP is like an unlimited class mixed martial arts fight where 90 pound fighters can square off against 300 pound gorillas. Sometimes you will find that you are just simply outclassed in terms of gear or treasure card prep. That's just the way it is. Some classes have more obvious winning strategies than others and so you will see wins more frequently as people learn how to compensate. Some schools are just more popular for a while.

I mean seriously... I almost never saw ice wizards wandering around before Celestia was released. Frankly, I rarely saw much shielding or defense in the game before then either (the actual game, not PvP as I didn't follow PvP back then). Once Celestia hit, however, everyone dusted off their ice wizards because a heavy defensive strategy was finally useful and no longer considered a waste of rounds.

Wintertusk is about to be released now. Things will change again, possibly drastically. The new triage spell is going to really wreak havoc with many, many wizard's strategies, but fire is likely to be the worst hit in the beginning since DoTs are kind of its bread and butter. But we'll see... its hard to tell how it might turn out until it actually goes live.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Legomaster01,

Since I have started playing my Level 60 Ice in PvP, I have had some great battles. I could always hold my own against Fire, Storm, Death, and Balance.
Life battles would often just take too long, and I would end up just lettting them win sometimes.
Myth was an entire different story, as Myth often would take me down.
Ice needs to blade, and can't against Myth, and therefore has no power to take a Myth out. Give a Myth a life Amulet, and it will most likely take an Ice out each and every time.
Now, because of the new Myth Amulets, every Wizard can stop Ice from Blading up, which makes Ice useless in the ring against any Wizard.
Hence, I have retired by Ice, and now just use my Balance.

While I will agree, Fire is a Powerful Wizard, I have never seen them as dominating. With a Fire, it all depends on what type of Wizard it is fighting. I think that is true for each Wizard, it can do well against some, while having trouble with others.

I'm beginning to believe that all the complaints on PvP are correct, but I just couldn't see it till now. It's not that one Wizard is too overpowering, it's the way that PvP matching is set up. PvP is matching groups up, that should clearly not be matched up. This is simply wrong, and it needs to be fixed before anything else is done to the Gear or spells.

Putting in a group with a rating of 700 against a group ranked at 1230 is not fair. I don't care what anyone has to say in this area, it's just wrong. I have watched group after group, or 1v1 after 1v1 get matched up and outclassed over and over. You can see the anger when someone is being dominated in PvP, and you feel sorry for them. I am not complaining obout the Spammer of Infection or Weakness, here.

No Warlord wants to play someone outside of their class, and going against a Commander or Captain is a waste of time. No Commmander or Captain or lower wants to go against a Warlord with that level of experience.

KI needs to stop stetching out the search, and keep it limited to Captain against Captain, Commander against Commander and Warlord against Warlords. Then you are matching up a resonable level of experience against another level of reasonable experience. These would be fair matches, not the waste of time battles that I have watched over the last (8) to (10) weeks.

Looking for replies on this, as I would like to let KI know the players feeings on this one.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
Fire is not overpowered. It is just as strong as all the other schools. It is nice that you realize that, no matter how you look at it, ice isn't over powered. But you are just doing the same thing with fire. Fires DoT attacks are very weak, and although they do get rid of shields easily, they do not inflict very much damage. As for Efreet, all you need to really mess up fire is a couple of weakness spells. (I found this out by battling balance monsters.) You are entitled to your opinion however, and if you think Fire is more powerful than the other schools, that is perfectly fine. However, it is not so powerful that it MUST be removed from the game. If you look in the right places, there are plenty of ways to defeat a fire wizard.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I enjoy playing practice 4v4 PvP, and when given the option I sit across from fire all the time unless I know the players are the type that is built for high damage and meteors all the time.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Oh no! Now the villain is your humble pyromancer!

Let me just say this:

My Pyromancer, Scarlet Ravensong, is very powerful. Yes, I am proud of the fact that she has 58% damage boost without sun spells or blades. Yes I am proud that she has nearly 100% accuracy without sun spells or accuracy charms. Yes, I worked really hard to craft gear that causes Scarlet to vaporize almost everything in her path. Why should I give up such hard-earned advantages in a PvP match? It IS all about ability and resources, isn't it?

BTW, I still have uneven performance in PvP, and haven't risen above Knight, so my gear doesn't exactly trump the skill of my opponents.

Can we just skip the whole "fire-is-overpowered whinefest and have a good time?

qbb/Scarlet

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Well i completely agree ice isnt overpowered, ice might even be underpowered if you ask me.

But on the fire note i think fire is still pretty fair, i mean i can see people that get really upset and think fire is overpowered because if your 1v1in a fire and they get first, its almosted guarenteed they will win, i lost to a fire not to long ago and that had been my first loss in a long time he was first and just efreeted everytime and i just couldnt get the weaknesses off. I definitly would say during the level 20-28 range in pvp fire is completely over powered because heck hound is just so devastating during those levels and you see if you have a wizard thats in those level that fire completely dominates the arena so if your talking about that specific range i agree with you. But over all fire is pretty balanced they crit a ton and have great damage but their crits and damage is just a shadow of how OP storm is

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:

Let me just say this:

My Pyromancer, Scarlet Ravensong, is very powerful. Yes, I am proud of the fact that she has 58% damage boost without sun spells or blades. Yes I am proud that she has nearly 100% accuracy without sun spells or accuracy charms. Yes, I worked really hard to craft gear that causes Scarlet to vaporize almost everything in her path. Why should I give up such hard-earned advantages in a PvP match? It IS all about ability and resources, isn't it?

BTW, I still have uneven performance in PvP, and haven't risen above Knight, so my gear doesn't exactly trump the skill of my opponents.

qbb/Scarlet
I have all legends, my fire, doesn't have 58% power boost by just gear because... It's not possible! Fire damage boost would be under 50%, not 58. Like mine I think is 48 or something, So obviously you dont have a fire.... ~James Iceheart Legend of all Schools.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
jmcjmc1 wrote:
I have all legends, my fire, doesn't have 58% power boost by just gear because... It's not possible! Fire damage boost would be under 50%, not 58. Like mine I think is 48 or something, So obviously you dont have a fire.... ~James Iceheart Legend of all Schools.

Hey jmcjmc1. Just wanted to mention that she could be obtaining 58% by using a specially hatched pet with her gear or a few other tricks. Just because it isn't standard doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
jmcjmc1 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Let me just say this:

qbb/Scarlet

Eh, I'll forgive that you called me a liar. I did mistake my boost, though. It's 47% without enchantments, blades, or traps.

Wintertusk may change that, though. I'm thinking I saw additional boost in crafted boots.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
My only problem with fire is Efreet's -90% to next attack. A spell that easily hits for 2-4000 damage and then punks your next attack to flower petals is a bit much. Granted it only hits one person but I'd much rather have a finishing blow trap placed on me then a you can't hurt me no matter how hard you try charm.

If I am faced against fire and I somehow survive an efreet attack it is near impossible to recover from. First off if your turn is first then you have a chance if not you can forget it. Cause I've wasted all my pips on an attach that did200 instead of killing and then to get a heal off on the next turn is near impossible.

If your first though then you might be able to pop a heal then wand off the charm and make another attack thi is if you can do that before you are hit with another!

Fighting against a boss I was hit with efreet 3 times before I was finally killed in the match. By the time I got the 6 pips for centaur I was hit with efreet so I healed instead.

Healing maybe the advantage of a life wizard but it sure doesn't win battles.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
jmcjmc1 wrote:

Hey jmcjmc1. Just wanted to mention that she could be obtaining 58% by using a specially hatched pet with her gear or a few other tricks. Just because it isn't standard doesn't mean it isn't possible.
Yeah i know but the attack boost cant go that high with a pet and there is no more tricks she said without blades traps or spells :P

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
jmcjmc1 wrote:
Yeah i know but the attack boost cant go that high with a pet and there is no more tricks she said without blades traps or spells :P

Attack boost can go that high with a pet. Standard level 58 gear gives it 46%, and a pet with both pain giver and fire giver can easily add another 12% damage boost, putting fire damage boost at 58% or higher.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
jmcjmc1 wrote:

Attack boost can go that high with a pet. Standard level 58 gear gives it 46%, and a pet with both pain giver and fire giver can easily add another 12% damage boost, putting fire damage boost at 58% or higher.
no it cant :P

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
Ice is not overpowered?No offense, but lets compare fire to ice... Fire gets terrible health, good damage, decent accuracy, puny resist to ice and storm, and gets pixie and link for healing and ok critical and block ratings, and Ice gets good health, ok damage, good accuracy, ok resist to all schools and ok critical and block ratings and pixie for healing, and you're saying that fire is overpowered compared to ice?

Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:

Let me just say this:

qbb/Scarlet

lol, honestly, just substitute ice for fire in your comments and it works for that school too. The point is, the whiners complaining about ice have no more reason to complain ( because ice is not overpowered), as someone complaining about fire. as you say, lets just skip the whole "ice-is-overpowered whinefest" ( I substituted ice for fire ), basically as I see it, if one is gonna complain about ice being overpowered, then you can pretty much say ALL schools are overpowered in their own way. and I would also like to point out that if they change ice then they will have to change all the other schools too, because fire will be then next one to get massive complaints against it, lol. so lets all try to just get alone. Sometimes you will win and then the next time you wont. get over it and move on folks.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
eddieandgalen wrote:
Ice is not overpowered?No offense, but lets compare fire to ice... Fire gets terrible health, good damage, decent accuracy, puny resist to ice and storm, and gets pixie and link for healing and ok critical and block ratings, and Ice gets good health, ok damage, good accuracy, ok resist to all schools and ok critical and block ratings and pixie for healing, and you're saying that fire is overpowered compared to ice?

Eddie,

I think that Ice is Powered just fine, when it's attacking more than one player or PvE.
Ice is clearly underpowered to fire in a 1v1 situation.
Clearly underpowered now in 1v1 in PvP, and I think the last 20 or so battles that I have watched clearly show that trend.

Fire can handle it's self well in both, as in Dragon and Effeet (sp?).
Since the release of WinterTusk, Fire does get good resist to Ice and Storm now.

The key is with the Amulets, Fire can put on the Life Amulet and can battle just about anyone now and do well.
Ice is now in trouble, as of the release of the Myth Amulet, anyone can use Earthquake. Ice has to Boost it's spells to do any damage, and not that is no longer possible. As soon as Ice starts to boost or shields, earthquake can removed in or the new Myth spell that anyone can get in a Treasure card.

So, while I don't think that Fire is overpowered, or any other Wizard is overpowered, I do think that Ice is now at a real disavantage in PvP.
No other Wizard needs to Boost like Ice does, as it's internal boost is also poor.

Joe.

Delver
Aug 10, 2009
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
jmcjmc1 wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:
jmcjmc1 wrote:

I now have 51% boost to my damage spells without charms or other enchantments. It can be done, it is being done, and it will get better with new gear. Thanks to the other wizards who backed me up earlier in the thread :)

Back to the original complaint about fire power: No, fire is not overpowered. You've just encountered someone with better PvP strategy than your own. Get a strategy, practice, and then try again.

About Efreet and his wonderful 90% weakness: Surviving Efreet is totally a pip watching thing. Don't cast a damage spell that uses all of your pips if you think the opposing Pyromancer is going to cast Efreet in the next couple of rounds. Shield up and save pips for a much needed heal, and then wand the weakness away. It's a simple matter of thinking ahead.

Scarlet Ravensong, Legendary Pyromancer

Defender
Nov 19, 2008
legomaster01 wrote:

dominating? ha! what a joke my fire is good at every thing in game BUT pvp. i can barly hold a candle to the people i face.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
KennethB wrote:
legomaster01 wrote:

dominating? ha! what a joke my fire is good at every thing in game BUT pvp. i can barly hold a candle to the people i face.

Well from what I have been reading the new school of complaints is storm! lol now they are getting all the complaints about tempest spamming. If its not one its the other. on the other hand, I have seen fire hit devastating damage with heckhound and fire elf, which can wipe out a legend in just a few rounds.

But on to the next round of complaints........

Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
legomaster01 wrote:

1. Fire dragon is only good when the enemy doesn't have a fire shield equipped
The majority of the dragons damage comes from the first blow, the over time damage kind of sucks

2. Efreet, we can shield easily against that threat, sure we get a huge weakness equipped, we can easily take that off with a weak wand spell, so yeah

3. How many pvp warlords have you seen that are fire? HUH?!?!

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
There Is Nothing Wrong WIth Ice. Ice IS Very Good at pvp, But so is fire. So Stop Fighting Which is Stronger. ( I Say Ice Is Stronger Though :D )

Tiffany Level 60 Ice