Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice has resistances to all schools

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 31, 2009
Why does ice have resistance to all schools in thier gear when no other school is offered this? I often baught gear from the crown store for this coming up through the levels.

Now that I am max I can't find gear that compares to ice. As a life wizard I get resistance to death and myth and each of those to the others. Fire and storm resist each other as well as ice but nothing else. Even balance only has resistance to the elements but not the spirit schools.

So why has ice been given this special resistance to all schools?

I'm not trying to hate on ice wizards cause this is something I have always tried to look for in my gear. As it stands right now I have 7 resist to all schools while I was working with an ice wizard that had 38% resist to all schools. He had more health then me more pip% then me and was dealing more damage. My crit was slightly better and I can heal.

I really figured school gear was set up restrictive for a reason but ice does seem to have an edge hear and I'm just curious as to why that really is.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, I am not exactly sure what school you are, but if you are using crown gear, that lowers the damage you do, for the universal resistance.

Now, as for ice doing more damage than you and you not being ice? You are doing something seriously wrong then!

But never fear, KI has addressed this issue with the upcoming release of WinterTusk! Yay for all schools, sorry ice!

Anyways, Ice does have the lowest damage, the lowest critical chance, yes, more health, but should not have a higher power pip chance than any other school, once again, you must be doing something wrong. Not sure exactly what items you are using, but that would probably explain all your differences!

The only benefits Ice has now, in live realm, is universal resistance and Health! That's it, nothing else!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Tragamite wrote:
Why does ice have resistance to all schools in thier gear when no other school is offered this? I often baught gear from the crown store for this coming up through the levels.

Now that I am max I can't find gear that compares to ice. As a life wizard I get resistance to death and myth and each of those to the others. Fire and storm resist each other as well as ice but nothing else. Even balance only has resistance to the elements but not the spirit schools.

I'm not trying to hate on ice wizards cause this is something I have always tried to look for in my gear. As it stands right now I have 7 resist to all schools while I was working with an ice wizard that had 38% resist to all schools. He had more health then me more pip% then me and was dealing more damage. My crit was slightly better and I can heal.

I really figured school gear was set up restrictive for a reason but ice does seem to have an edge hear and I'm just curious as to why that really is.

Ice has this edge because it is about their only one. They get minimal accuracy boost, minimal damage boost, minimal power pip percentage, etc. Or, you can go with crafted that gives you better (but still terrible) accuracy, critical chance, and damage boost at the expense of some or all (depending on if you go full crafted gear or only one or two items) of your resistance. I hope this helps to explain the issue.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Ice is all about defense: high health, high resistance, good shielding. That is its forte. To compensate, it doesn't have a lot of attack power.

Giving the same to other schools would be unfair: Fire and Storm have strong attacks. Life has strong healing. Balance has many shields, traps, and blades. Myth has minions and double-attacks. Death has life-stealing. To give any of those global resistance wouldn't be fair to the others.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2011
Defender
Oct 31, 2009
So if I didn't clarify I am life wizard level 60 crafted hat and robe that boosts my life and death magic. I am wearing boots from the baconator set. I have the crown life blade crafted ring death mastery necklace and level 56 antheme (working to improve this item) I use my Satyr that improves my pip by 5% as well as accuracy and spritely.

I switched from the gear that gave me resistance to death and myth I don't remember the name of the gear.

I have a 78% while the ice had 80%

My big argument with life is that healing does not win battles. Now while healing helps me survive long enough to deal the damage to win a battle sometimes I loose cause of how my cards align.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
Tragamite wrote:

OBVIOUSLY, Ice is the school of protection/resistances. Towershield absoulutely and plainly demonstrates this.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Tragamite wrote:
So if I didn't clarify I am life wizard level 60 crafted hat and robe that boosts my life and death magic. I am wearing boots from the baconator set. I have the crown life blade crafted ring death mastery necklace and level 56 antheme (working to improve this item) I use my Satyr that improves my pip by 5% as well as accuracy and spritely.

I switched from the gear that gave me resistance to death and myth I don't remember the name of the gear.

My big argument with life is that healing does not win battles. Now while healing helps me survive long enough to deal the damage to win a battle sometimes I loose cause of how my cards align.

Ok, now, while your resistances have been lowered because of your gear, you have what? 120 critical attack, very high critical blocks.

You have also elected to have a lower power pip chance to have the higher critical chances, higher critical blocks, 105% life accuracy, 100% death accuracy(I think, would have to check to be sure)! You still do a lot more damage than Ice can do, with the death amulet, you can attack and heal at the same time!

These are things you have chosen! Not what is given! Things will also change a lot when the wintertusk update is released!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
when playing storm, one thing becomes very apparent... everyone else has higher percent blades and traps than you do while typically having good storm resistance, while when it comes to health storm does not have any such compensating factor like larger resistances given its lower health

Armiger
May 10, 2010
seasnake wrote:
when playing storm, one thing becomes very apparent... everyone else has higher percent blades and traps than you do while typically having good storm resistance, while when it comes to health storm does not have any such compensating factor like larger resistances given its lower health

No, it has higher accuracy and higher damage compensating its health!

Adherent
May 20, 2010
This needs to be moved to PvP. Maybe a moderator will do so.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
mizzdrama101 wrote:
I'm death, I have all resistance also. :-D
What death gear has resistance to all schools? I can't seem to find any.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
colagada wrote:
This needs to be moved to PvP. Maybe a moderator will do so.

Why does this need to be moved to PvP we are discussing current game mechanics nothing about PvP. In my initial post I was working with this ice wizard not battling him in PvP.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Tragamite wrote:

Ok, now, while your resistances have been lowered because of your gear, you have what? 120 critical attack, very high critical blocks.

You have also elected to have a lower power pip chance to have the higher critical chances, higher critical blocks, 105% life accuracy, 100% death accuracy(I think, would have to check to be sure)! You still do a lot more damage than Ice can do, with the death amulet, you can attack and heal at the same time!

These are things you have chosen! Not what is given! Things will also change a lot when the wintertusk update is released!

I understand things will change with the expansion I have been playing on the test relm as well.

My crit block is 80 to all school and while I think that is pretty good I never seem to block storm while I usually block everything else. My crit for life is 120 and death is 130 and I've only had one death spell crit and it was a vampire. On life I almost always crit on heals but never on attacks except sword swipes.

I have tried to do my best to balance the pip chance with damage health and healing. While other gear gave me good pip it only offered resistance to myth and death. But what I end up fighting is fire and storm mostly. I didn't want anything to do with my craftable boots as they only offered block to life and whatever secondary school but I would lose the 30 to all by switching.

I agree it was my choice as to the gear I currently use but I was not offered an option where I could resist 30+% to all schools.

This would help me survive even that much longer as really only bosses ever throw a crit at you to block and like I said I always seem to miss the block against storm. At least I can crit heal me after the damage is dealt.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Tragamite,

Everyone has already explained this, but I just wanted to add one more point of view.
Let's say that you have seven people in a group, and you are number 7.
The first six people get steel balls to throw at you, but you only get a Ping pong ball.
Wouldn't you want a bit of resistance to the steel balls when they are thrown at you? When all you get to do is throw back ping pong balls...
Hence the reason that Ice has univeral resistance.

Joe,

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
Tragamite wrote:
but ice does seem to have an edge hear and I'm just curious as to why that really is.

Yes, Ice is an amazing school. I'm Ice myself, and although the damage it deals out is horrible, it is definitely a worthwhile school. Stacked with the correct blades, traps, clothing, etc., Ice can totally win anything. The only downside about Ice is having it as an opponent. Especially being Ice, and them having resist to all my attacks, it is quite rough indeed.

Ice is a great school. Again, the damage is not good; but with the correct strategies, Ice is amazing! If you love the resistance that much (and Ice can also have immense amounts of health-- I saw someone with 4,000 health without any potions or things like that), you should look into creating an Ice character. It depends on what you feel like doing.

I have also noticed that the other schools have resist to opposite/related schools, but not all schools. This is indeed odd, and it may be a bit unfair for Ice to resist to all...

Oh well, have a good time, enjoy adventuring the Spiral-- and if you want to start over with Ice, then good luck~

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
SilverAmarantine wrote:
Tragamite wrote:
but ice does seem to have an edge hear and I'm just curious as to why that really is.

Yes, Ice is an amazing school. I'm Ice myself, and although the damage it deals out is horrible, it is definitely a worthwhile school. Stacked with the correct blades, traps, clothing, etc., Ice can totally win anything. The only downside about Ice is having it as an opponent. Especially being Ice, and them having resist to all my attacks, it is quite rough indeed.

Ice is a great school. Again, the damage is not good; but with the correct strategies, Ice is amazing! If you love the resistance that much (and Ice can also have immense amounts of health-- I saw someone with 4,000 health without any potions or things like that), you should look into creating an Ice character. It depends on what you feel like doing.

I have also noticed that the other schools have resist to opposite/related schools, but not all schools. This is indeed odd, and it may be a bit unfair for Ice to resist to all...

Oh well, have a good time, enjoy adventuring the Spiral-- and if you want to start over with Ice, then good luck~

Ice is actually my highest level character after my main life wizard. And like ice, life doesn't do a lot of damage. I based on my observation from with this guy in my OP is that life is worse then ice except we can heal. But lifes heals can defeat an opponent.

At anyrate I'll be reevaluating my gear with wintertusk and see what happens.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Tragamite wrote:
Ice is actually my highest level character after my main life wizard. And like ice, life doesn't do a lot of damage. I based on my observation from with this guy in my OP is that life is worse then ice except we can heal. But lifes heals can defeat an opponent.

At anyrate I'll be reevaluating my gear with wintertusk and see what happens.

The two big things life has over ice is power pip chance and huge damage boosts with gear. Even though the base damage of life spells can still appear to be lower than ice, the gear damage boost puts damage significantly higher than ice and with better accuracy. With the better power pip chance, you can cast better damage spells more frequently than ice.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Yes, well, when you become Legendary, all schools will have universal resistance!!! So, the only benefits Ice has now, is Health, and critical blocks!!!

Anyone still want to say how Overpowering Ice is? Anyone?

Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
Tragamite wrote:

I dont think anyone mentioned this here yet, so I will. One of the reasons ice has universal resistance is because their higest hit spell, ice angel, has a taunt on it and when used on bosses etc,they tend to want to hit ice and not the other players, so ice needs the resist if they are always going to be made a target. thats just one reason. and as everyone has said, resist is pretty much what ice is all about. Take away its resist, then you should take away storms power, and fires dot's, etc get my point, it is what makes ice unique.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Yes, well, when you become Legendary, all schools will have universal resistance!!! So, the only benefits Ice has now, is Health, and critical blocks!!!

Anyone still want to say how Overpowering Ice is? Anyone?

actually since wintertusk came out with the new gear for everyone, (ice's new gear is a joke), all wizards have resistance comparable or close to ices's. so now KI has make ice a useless wizard to be unless they up its stats to be higher and more comparable to the other wizards. Ice is at the bottom in terms of advantages now, especially since it has lost its defense advantage and only has minor higher health. as for as shields, everyone can get a tower as well as the other shields, so tower is not an advantage and most schools can wipe out ice's extra (minimal extra health) with the major extra power boosts and critical boosts that all other schools get (except for ice). Wow, cant wait to see what schools everyone starts complaining about next. Another school will be on the chopping block, lol. All hail for generic schools! just take the uniqueness of one and give to all.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2010
After reading all these posts its apparent that many of you guys aren't even ice and yet you are judging it to be a very cheap school. As an ice wizard, we never really did all that much damage(until snow angel came out). Ice really isn't even that cheap if you think about it. We might have 1000 more life than our opponents but they have far more damage which counteracts it. While everyone here is talking about how "cheap" ice is, it is better if you think about it from the ice's point of view. Everything that made ice special is now slipping away as people get the same resistances and schools like balance and life are obtaining life close to that of ice. We still have the lowest damage of all the schools and everyone probably has learned to get tower shield by now. Everything about ice is already vanishing. So before you guys start complaining that is ice is cheap, think about it from our point of view.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
I am an Ice student and i used to have resistances to everything but now i have not one. Anyone know why?

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Yes I know this a May thread, but I'm still going to reply. Now all the level 60 gear for each of the schools has 19% resist to all schools if that makes you feel any better :-)

Caroline Sunbright legendary theurgist
Brittany Rainriver legendary diviner
Emily Spiritriver legendary necromancer
Laura Iceheart legendary thaumaturge
Nicole Jadesword legendary sorcerer
& 7 more wizzies