Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 27, 2009
I was playing through Keep of Ganolan on my life wizard, and when we were in the last fight I realized something. The white and black dragon it is a pokemon reference to Pokémon white and Pokémon black in both of these games the legendary pokemon is either black or white and it is a dragon type. I randomly noticed this too, so I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
In Firecat Alley, Anna Flamewright's house has a picture on the wall of a sun and a moon with only about half of each character showing in the picture. The artwork looks amazingly similar to the great 'Milk and Cheese' comics by Evan Dorkin. I'm pretty sure it's an homage.

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
It would be nice if in the new world, they named NPC people Thomas, Kimberley, Dillon, Charles, Phillip, and Lillian. If you watch cartoons from the nineties, you may get the reference.
(If you don't get it, shorten the names into nicknames and think animation cartoons that have babies in them)

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
jadestaff108 on Feb 2, 2014 wrote:
mooshu is china
Actually they say that Mooshu is a feudal Japan.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2014
Went through a couple pages of this thread....no doctor who fans? Anyone notice the red police box and "the Professor" outside of scotland yard? Obviously referencing The Doctor and his TARDIS. I know there's a quest in Zafaria to retrieve his sonic screwdriver (not sure how they phrase this). Anyone know if KI has to pay copyright for these eggs? Also somewhere in firecat alley there is a side quest which invloves retrieving a ring, and somewhere in the dialogue it says a long the lines of "one ring to rule them all", any LOTR fans?
Katie Smith lvl 33

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
raysofoprah on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Went through a couple pages of this thread....no doctor who fans? Anyone notice the red police box and "the Professor" outside of scotland yard? Obviously referencing The Doctor and his TARDIS. I know there's a quest in Zafaria to retrieve his sonic screwdriver (not sure how they phrase this). Anyone know if KI has to pay copyright for these eggs? Also somewhere in firecat alley there is a side quest which invloves retrieving a ring, and somewhere in the dialogue it says a long the lines of "one ring to rule them all", any LOTR fans?
Katie Smith lvl 33
Yep, LoTR fan here, I noticed the same thing.
Also I don't think you looked through the pages very well- the most common "easter egg" people like to post about is the Doctor Who one, and they all say the same thing: "I can't believe no one has posted this!" "why has no one said anything about the Professor, reference to Doctor Who?"
I don't think you guys are reading through the thread thouroughly, it's the topmost easter egg here There's at least one reference on the last six pages, I think. One page had four, I believe.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2014
Young and the Boneless quest by Henry Wellingbrook is a reference to Young and the Restless.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2014
Bone and the Beautiful quest by Henry Wellingbrook is a reference to the soap opera The bold and the beautiful.
Katie Smith level 34

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
Clumsy Sebastion L... on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
I was playing through Keep of Ganolan on my life wizard, and when we were in the last fight I realized something. The white and black dragon it is a pokemon reference to Pokémon white and Pokémon black in both of these games the legendary pokemon is either black or white and it is a dragon type. I randomly noticed this too, so I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this.
LOL, I had a friend who said that Stormzilla looks like a Pokémon, I tried to convince the person it was a Godzilla reference, but the person didn't seem convinced...

Survivor
Oct 23, 2011
ellhae31 on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Yep, LoTR fan here, I noticed the same thing.
Also I don't think you looked through the pages very well- the most common "easter egg" people like to post about is the Doctor Who one, and they all say the same thing: "I can't believe no one has posted this!" "why has no one said anything about the Professor, reference to Doctor Who?"
I don't think you guys are reading through the thread thouroughly, it's the topmost easter egg here There's at least one reference on the last six pages, I think. One page had four, I believe.
whoa! finally someone mentioned the ever annoyingness of the Doctor Who posts.
As amazing as it is a reference, I think the whole spiral knows about it now.

As for LoTR, does anyone think that the treants looks eerily similar to ENTS?

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
What Doctor Who posts? Seriously, in Wysteria the guy who tends the Pegasi is named Lapin, he's a rabbit, lapin is French for rabbit. There's a character in Krokotopia named Zam'fir. Zamfir in real life is or was (I'm not sure if he's still alive) a world famous Pan Flute player. Yes indeed a world famous Pan Flautist. They used to market his CD's...OK maybe not CD's I think they may have been cassettes or even 8 track tapes on TV late at night. There's one School of Life healing spell where the character who heals you plays a Pan Flute. Idk if he's world famous or not. Also the Ravenwood Fire Professor's last name is Falmea, which is an anagram of 'aflame' strangely enough.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
One of the the most obvious gems that I love is the level 58 pet quest for Forest Lord. The boss' creature class is wolverine, his entrance speech is "What are you doing here, bub?", and his name is Loguun. I simply loved this reference as Wolverine is one of my favorite Marvel super heroes. I never thought KI could have such a huge sense of humor. Keep up he wonderful work!

-Jordan ThunderGlade

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
I like how they made the Philosoraptor meme an NPC in Azteca. Its not really a hidden gem but pretty cool anyways. I just though I'd point that out.

-Jordan ThunderGlade

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I loved the Philosoraptor! The athame and wand shopkeeper in Zafaria's Baobab Market is named Old Duvai Silvermane. Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania, Africa is one of the most important paleoanthropological sites in the world. Eminent paleontologist Louis Leakey did a great deal of work there which was the basis for several of his books.

Survivor
May 23, 2013
hi there fellow wizards! i am Amber Rose(its a play on words figure it out) and i am a level 28 i am curious about the easter eggs i keep hearing about easter eggs can someone tell me what they are? please? i adore easter eggs.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
Wow, I keep finding eggs everyday. So, I was training my Polar Fox and when I shot it out of a cannon during the Grumpy Gobblers game it let out a strange yell. A yell that's very familiar to one of the ones from the "What does the fox say" video. I'm loving these eggs, this one had me chuckling for a good ten minutes.

-Jordan ThunderGlade

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
That's funny Silva! On a more somber note, there is a character in MooShu's Village of Sorrow named Binh Hoa. The Binh Hoa massacre occured in the Binh Hoa province of Vietnam in 1966 during the Vietnam War. 430 unarmed civilians were killed by South Korean troops. They consisted mostly of elderly people, women and children.

Explorer
May 22, 2011
The 'Wanted' posters in Marleybone show a picture of a cat and say: Wanted: For being Mean and Stealing Stuff! I got a real laugh outta that.
-The General

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Here's a couple. In Dragonspyre the quest to find the missing pet spider 'Cinder' is called 'She's A Little Runaway', which is the name of a huge hit single by BonJovi in the late 80's. In Azteca we get our crafting quests from a character named 'Oztomeca'. In Aztec society, the Oztomeca were a part of the merchant class. They were mainly tasked with importing goods. One of the goods they imported was pigweed, whose seeds were ground and mixed with honey. This mixture was used in the making of edible statues of the various gods to be eaten during their pagan rituals. Another name for pigweed is 'amaranth'. We are tasked to find amranth for one of the quests in Wintertusk.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2010
I love the fact that they made Marleybone a version of London in some type of eternal night. also that it is dogs instead of humans. i also like in Dragonspyre they had tons of different accents.

Alex Silverstone level 66 thaumaturge.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2013
Anyone notice the Monty Python reference in Avalon? Where the Black Knight says, after being defeated, "Ni! Tis only a flesh wound!" A scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Early in Khrysalis Part 2, we meet some Burrowers who speak in a strange patois, and use the term 'Grok'. This is a reference to a Sci-Fi novel by Robert E. Heinlein, 'Stranger In a Strange Land.' Later on we fight a boss name Taylor Coleridge. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was a British Poet and Writer who is famous for his epic poem 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner.' The dialogue that our Boss Coleridge speaks is a few stanzas from that poem.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
OOh and later on in K2, making our way across the ocean we come across the Deep Spawn, whose dialogue has a lot of apostrophes in it, and includes the term 'f'taghn' and refers to Morganthe as 'Morganthe Shogg'. This can only be a great reference to the works of H.P Lovecraft, the dialogue being Lovecraftian and the 'Shogg' being a reference to 'Yog-Shoggoth', one of the seminal Lovecraftian critters. Is Morganthe the coming of Yog-Shoggoth in female form? Will the Spiral prevail? Will there be more bugs once we get across the Ocean? Only time will tell!

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
Went through all the pages, and I can say 100% that this one has not been said.

Go to Mooshu, and in the athame/wand shop, the shop keeper's name is "Himoora Kenshin".

Translating the first name to Himura, and making it Himura Kenshin, this is the main character from a manga/anime series in Japan called Rurouni Kenshin (Wandering Samurai Kenshin).

Now people could say that is a coincidence, but nowhere in Japan's history was there ever a Himura Kenshin, so this leads me to believe that this character was added in for reference to the manga/anime series. And even in Japan, this would be a unique name. Lets not forget that Kenshin from the manga/anime series is a samurai. And Kenshin in Wizard101 is a shop keeper for weapons. Suiting, right? The only difference is that the one in the series is a male and the one in Wizard101 is a female.

Now if only KingsIsle could have added a cross shape scar on the left cheek of the character. ;)

Your friendly Wizard101 Pyromancer,
Seth NightFlame 98

Explorer
Oct 31, 2013
I'm not sure if it was mentioned but in marleybone "Barkingham Palace" is referring to "Bukkingham(Not spelled right, I know) Palace.