Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making PvP more fair

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1. The team that goes first gets too large of a first play advantage. An easy solution to this would would be to only let the last two players on the first team play first, then the other team, and then the last two players on the side playing first. This isn't that complex as a beguile on the third person achieves this sort of play order already.

2. In terms of beguiles and dispels, either remove them from pvp (or at least from 3v3 and 4v4 pvp), or always enable to them to cast first regardless of what side a player is on. Contrarily, they could be made to play last. The point is though they should be made equally effective whether a person is on a side that goes first or last.

3. Pets that remove shields should be made so that all double and triple shields are removed when the pet casts. I find it very unfair that when my pets remove shields they only tend to ever remove one of the double or triple type shields which typically are never of benifit to my school if they are removed or not.

4. I think if a player has a stun on them and their pet casts anything, their pet should effectively rid the player's stun upon its casting. This enables being stunned to be less of an issue, while beniffiting the team that goes last a bit cause they have more time for their pet to remove the stun than those who go first. Keep in mind those that go first still have first chance to stun and still get to see what shields and stuff are in place, so any little bit of going last pet advantage is appreciated.

5. If you have any player on your ignore list, you should not be paired against them in PvP or even given the option to sit at their table or them having the option to sit at yours.

6. an anti-beguile/anti-dispel bubble should be added to the game... not necessary if beguile and dispels are removed from PvP unless game opponents use dispels and beguile enough to justify the bubble.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
*sigh* Read this entire post, because many of your ideas were good :D :D :D , but some were rather inadequate :( . Impressive logic with your ideas, by the way. The team that goes first gets too large of a first play advantage. I have heard that a million times. Even though the team that goes first gets an advantage, it isn't as big as people say. I have won many pvp duels going second. I'm not saying that idea was bad, but it just didn't sound adequate for the game. In terms of beguiles and dispels, either remove them from pvp (or at least from 3v3 and 4v4 pvp), or always enable them to cast first regardless of what side a player is on.This would just destroy strategies for both sides of the duel. The Spritely pet talent took far too long to cast, and confused people. There have been a lot of posts about that. This would most likely get the same reaction from people.Pets that remove shields should be made so that all double and triple stuns are removed when the pet casts I find it very unfair that when my pets remove shield they only tend to ever remove one of the double or triple type shields which typically are never of benefit to my school if they are removed or not. Well, the person who played the shields meant to block 3 spells, not one spell that would be REALLY weak....I think if a player has a stun on them and their pet casts anything, their pet should effectively rid the players stun upon its casting. This enables being stunned to be less of an issue, while beniffiting the team that goes last a bit cause they have more time for their pet to remove the stun than those who go first. Keep in mind those who go first still have first chance to stun and still get to see what shields and stuff are in place, so any little bit of going last pet advantage is appreciated. Now THIS is a good idea. It would give the stunned team a chance to catch up to the other team, and not all people have pet cards, so it is completely fair. However, along with the stun, the pet card should also remove the stun shield, because if it didn't remove the shield too, the other team would be GIVING you something to help you win. If you have any player on your ignore list, you should not be paired against them in pvp or even given the option to sit at their table or them having the option to sit at yours.Another good idea :D An anti-beguile/anti-dispel bubble should be added to the game... not necessary if beguile and dispels are removed from pvp unless game opponents use dispels and beguile enough to justify the bubble.Removing beguile and dispel from pvp wasn't a good idea, but this is! I like the thought of being given a chance to get rid of dispel. But it should be a school card, and remove only dispels for your school.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer 8)

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
7. Different rules should apply to 1v1 matches than to say team matches such as 4v4. A lot of complaining is being done that it is too hard to kill people in 1v1 matches and against good players the matches last four hours or more or until someone simply quits. This is not the case with 4v4 play though that seems to play about right except for the abuse of chain stuns, beguiles by the side going first, heavy over use of dispels, people joining to flee on purpose to downrank if their friends aren't at their table, and the like. At present the same rules for 1v1 play apply for 4v4 play, that is there aren't any rules, and this not only makes things play unfair but also gets people to argue all the time on the message boards as a good 4v4 idea is often a lousy 1v1 idea.

8. Stiff downranking penalties should be added, if you flee from a side before the match is over, your character should be barred from ranked PvP for X amount of time. Everytime you flee should increase the PvP ban time.

9. Randomly sat teams in ranked play should never be matched against friends sat teams. It simply is unfair for random people to go up against teams that have every play pre-planned out as a group, or to be put against a single player controlling all four players on a side. This has always been one of the things that I hate most about ranked play. I also find it very unfair that you can't even choose what non-friends team you sit at and yet you are paired against friends teams. I would like to sit at and play against non-friends teams, but find the entire friends/non-friends matching system simply too unfair.

7. There should be a random sit continual PvP play option, where when you select it, according to your level and rank you are wisked from one match to another, and the match can be of any size table, though you could be given a 1v1 or team play only option box to check.

8. Anytime a player sits at a match and does not press start, if time runs out and they did not press play they are exited out of the table.

9. Any table that is created and does not begin play in twinty minutes of time is auto deleted. I simply hate that in non-ranked play that there are often over 100 tables in a category but 90% or so of them are simply for show with no intentions of playing.

10. I would like to see a unique player win and loss count in ranked PvP after reaching warlord. Once you reach warlord you should always be a warlord, but the ranking system should change at that level. Every unique win against a warlord after reaching warlord is worth a point, with a maximum of three points against any one warlord. When you play a warlord their name goes on your opponent list, seeable only by you if at all. When you lose against them you lose a point down to zero points and when you win against them you gain a point up to a three point maximum against any one warlord. The maximum is in place to limit the extent of players to cheat against their own characters, it won't stop such point cheating but it will at least limit it.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
I dont like number 8. Sometimes i have to quit duriing a match. Counts as fleeing. Not a good idea.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I think they should make it to where you don't lose rank for losing, I see no harm in this and many players who consecutively lose get discouraged.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
sionna11 wrote:
sigh

Please, not again. Either live with it or don't PvP.

lol, this is the attitude of every tyranical government... don't question, don't try to change anything, if you don't like it then it must be you...

Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
How can I possibly be a "tyrannical government"? I am one person. I don't normally PvP and I get tired of reading the whining about it that goes on in the forums.

"Ice is overpowered" "Healing shouldn't be allowed" "Whovever goes first wins"

If you want to win, develop a strategy, don't tell me I'm a government. That's puerile behaviour.

I have played ONE PvP match against someone who challenged me and thought he would win. He went first and I won. Think about it. Yes, I'm female and probably old enough to teach you better manners. Trust me, it IS you.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Seasnake,

I agree that you have a lot of good ideas, and they make sense from my point of view.
One item that I feel that you should have added, was the huge mismatch that KI allows in PvP.
No Captain should have to go up against a Warlord, no Private should go up against a Knight. No Corp should end up fighting a Commander, and I have seen this over and over.

I really feel that this is the first item that KI needs to fix in PvP.
Maybe after so much time, they could just say, "A match could not be found in your ranking" or something along those lines.

I have also seen people state, while the longer you wait, but that is not often the case. Many of these matches are done fairly quickly, and the person getting outclassed has no idea until they get into the match.

So, this is what I really feel that KI needs to look at asap.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2010
People pvp is broken we all no this, It is the most complained about thing in the game. They will not change the turn based style of play. They don't care if most of us hate the way pvp is set up. They never reply to any of the posts with any defense on the matter from there side, I take this as them not having anything to say about it.

WE can all agree that something needs to be done and there are so many great ideas posted by people that will work and make it better. Just how do we get KI to do it? Answer.........Find a new game. THEY WILL NEVER SORT IT.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Lion359 wrote:
Seasnake,

I agree that you have a lot of good ideas, and they make sense from my point of view.
One item that I feel that you should have added, was the huge mismatch that KI allows in PvP.
No Captain should have to go up against a Warlord, no Private should go up against a Knight. No Corp should end up fighting a Commander, and I have seen this over and over.

I really feel that this is the first item that KI needs to fix in PvP.
Maybe after so much time, they could just say, "A match could not be found in your ranking" or something along those lines.

I have also seen people state, while the longer you wait, but that is not often the case. Many of these matches are done fairly quickly, and the person getting outclassed has no idea until they get into the match.

So, this is what I really feel that KI needs to look at asap.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

I doubt people would have to wait so long to find matches if the system were made more fun and more fair to play. I had many in game friends who simply refused to play PvP cause they felt it needed work and played very unfairly. By having a system in place that seems more like playing monopoly with a banker that cheats, that is to say by having lopsided advantages of cards that work well only when going first and teams of people who are actually the same person or two controlling an entire side while the other team is completely random, people just don't find PvP as interesting or as fun as a balanced system. There aren't any leaderboards to go for, friends teams are pitted against non-friends teams that can't even choose to sit where they want, players often go last time and time again (my streak was over twenty times in a row and another person is now complaining about going first only once in over 30 matches). PvP needs work to which Wizard101 isn't doing. I wish they would make PvP a top priority, as I think the lack of an end game is killing the game.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
sionna11 wrote:
sigh

Please, not again. Either live with it or don't PvP.
I agree, besides, seasnake, (the poster of Making PvP more fair) keeps conplaining about stuff, no offense!

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
sionna11 wrote:
How can I possibly be a "tyrannical government"? I am one person. I don't normally PvP and I get tired of reading the whining about it that goes on in the forums.

If you want to win, develop a strategy, don't tell me I'm a government. That's puerile behaviour.

I have played ONE PvP match against someone who challenged me and thought he would win. He went first and I won. Think about it. Yes, I'm female and probably old enough to teach you better manners. Trust me, it IS you.
Well, unlike the others, Seasnake didn't just whine about it. He listed some ORIGINAL suggestions that he thought would help. And as for "Tyrannical government", he wasn't saying that you had the same ATTITUDE as one, he was just saying that he was trying to help out. However, maybe the "tyrannical" WAS a bit much. Also, what does being female have to do with anything?
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
sionna11 wrote:

I get tired of complaints as well, but all the complaints. The ones like, this boss is too hard, ice is overpowered, KI changes everything for the PvP whiners, etc... Whether or not I agree with seasnake, he is posting his views and suggestions about how to make it better from his perspective in the appropriate forum. Now, I don't think you're a tyrannical government, but what you did was akin to walking into the smoking section and telling a smoker there they shouldn't smoke.

Defender
Mar 06, 2010
i was in a pvp today on my level 33 storm. Someone used forest lord on us. I dont find this fair

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
FireGod299 wrote:
i was in a pvp today on my level 33 storm. Someone used forest lord on us. I dont find this fair

lol... perhaps you shouldn't be playing your level 33 storm against legendary opponents

Survivor
May 07, 2011
Hi new to this, probably been bought up b4 but this thread is recent...

Any chance KI can restrict swapping pets, its hopeless going up against a lev 5 pvp match or any other low level one for that matter when its just wait till 4 pips and ill show you what my uber pet can do that no one should have at this level.. and im not saying been able to xfer high level treasure cards is fair either but thats a fight for another day and at least they loose those..

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
mason2021000 wrote:
Hi new to this, probably been bought up b4 but this thread is recent...

Any chance KI can restrict swapping pets, its hopeless going up against a lev 5 pvp match or any other low level one for that matter when its just wait till 4 pips and ill show you what my uber pet can do that no one should have at this level.. and im not saying been able to xfer high level treasure cards is fair either but thats a fight for another day and at least they loose those..

lol, if you are playing PvP at level 5 you deserve to be hit by whatever comes up... level 5 takes what about twenty minutes to a half hour to obtain

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Two changes I'd like to see concerning arena play only (no change to regular game play) would be:

1. to remove pip loss when dispelled (dispels are fine when going first as compared to going last as long as the individual being dispelled does not lose their pips from it as the side going first can easily avoid such a pip loss).

2. to disallow the team going first from using attack cards on their initial turn... this allows the team going first to cast blades and shields but not to attack, and as the team going first is able to shield the team going last should be able to attack on the first turn... as it is now the team going first can attack on first turn knowing full well no shields orwill be upon the team going last.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
The only thing that might need to change, is the fact that it should be like a chess game. One player goes and then the next player goes. This would also go for team play, one team goes, then the next team goes.

As for Dispels, They are intended to drain a player of pips, not to be used as an expensive stun or smoke screen! If it was changed to turn base, then this would not even be an issue any longer!

Oh, one other thing I would like to see fixed, is that Cloak, should make whatever is cloaked, completely invisible to the opposite player. If it is a dispel, no blotted out charm by their head. If it is a shield, no blotted out shield around you, if it is a trap, no blotted out trap on them, and definitely if it is a feint, no double blotted out wards.

It is funny how people think that this makes it cloaked. Maybe if we were always playing little kids, that have never seen cloak before, but to experienced PvP players, it is a complete joke!

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
darthjt wrote:
The only thing that might need to change, is the fact that it should be like a chess game. One player goes and then the next player goes. This would also go for team play, one team goes, then the next team goes.

As for Dispels, They are intended to drain a player of pips, not to be used as an expensive stun or smoke screen! If it was changed to turn base, then this would not even be an issue any longer!

Oh, one other thing I would like to see fixed, is that Cloak, should make whatever is cloaked, completely invisible to the opposite player. If it is a dispel, no blotted out charm by their head. If it is a shield, no blotted out shield around you, if it is a trap, no blotted out trap on them, and definitely if it is a feint, no double blotted out wards.

It is funny how people think that this makes it cloaked. Maybe if we were always playing little kids, that have never seen cloak before, but to experienced PvP players, it is a complete joke!
This is a good idea Darthjt, got my vote. It's pretty easy to figure out what is cloaked after just a few turns. In a more experienced match it is a waste to train it. I would like to see it usable
On treasure cards as well. Great idea, this would solve dispel advantage and make cloak a worthwhile spell to train.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
I've only PVP'd a few times, but seems to me that, yes, it is unfair when a private is put up against a higher rank like a knight or captain, LOL, it's happened to me. I have no chance and lose the match. I am still a private and I have been playing for over a year now.
The only way I would see PVP being fair and being more about strategy than who has the better cards, would be to keep the ranks paired together. Private vs. Private, Captain vs. Captain, etc....
BUT here's the doozie.... just like in the regular game, certain ranks can only use certain cards. Just like when you're leveling with your wizard. Privates can only use level 1-10 cards, and so on. The higher the rank, the better cards you get to use. There should be special decks/health just for PVP.
In other words, it would be just like leveling your wizard in the game.
:D So what do you think?

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
If you guys don't like beguile, than don't fight Emily! ROFL!

Caroline Sunbright level 60 life
Laura Iceheart level 60 ice
Nicole Jadesword level 60 balance
Emily Spiritriver level 60 death
Brittany Rainriver level 46 storm
Alexandra Redleaf level 25 fire

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:
If you guys don't like beguile, than don't fight Emily! ROFL!

Caroline Sunbright level 60 life
Laura Iceheart level 60 ice
Nicole Jadesword level 60 balance
Emily Spiritriver level 60 death
Brittany Rainriver level 46 storm
Alexandra Redleaf level 25 fire

I have a legendary death character now and from what I can tell of beguile is that it really has very little to no real use in the actual game but has every bit of use in the PvP arena to pretty much cheat ones way to victory when death is incredibly powerful and has tons of PvP options without it.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2011
Dear supportes: Ice school is too good in pvp, no one can really 1v1 beat them because your update to their school is to pwefull and storm is pretty easy for ice to beat. So please give storm school better shields ,over-time spells. But most of all they need more health, a lvl 60 storm can only get 2300 not more as I've seen. So this is a pretty big problem for me and many other of my friends..from a grandmster storm