Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet training changes!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 05, 2011

Well, I personally despise the time I spend training my pets. I do not think that most people really want to spend their time playing these ridiculous mini games. If we wanted to do that then we would play something else. When I play W101 that is what I want to do. I want to level my wizard and move along story lines etc. I think pets should be trained with you as you fight. I think they need to gain small amounts of experience as you do with each battle. I would be fine with having to train your pet up to an adult the normal way in the PP first before this would happen, but after that you can choose to keep training in the PP for potentially faster xp gains or keep your sanity and get slower gains as you play through the game.

If all my pet ever got for any battle was 1 experience per monster then that would still be better to me than another mini game.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I agree 100% and a lot of posts have been made about the same subject. I don't mind training the pets, it gets boring after a while. I also have two accounts that equal 9 wizards, so that's a lot of time I spend training pets. I also don't train them higher then adults. One day I will go back and finish training, but right now I have a ton of pets I want up to teen.

Defender
Feb 28, 2010
Pet training is just another way for KI to make money. They will never change the pets to training along side you during quests, which makes sense as they are suppose to be there to assist you.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2010
jharber wrote:

Well, I personally despise the time I spend training my pets. I do not think that most people really want to spend their time playing these ridiculous mini games. If we wanted to do that then we would play something else. When I play W101 that is what I want to do. I want to level my wizard and move along story lines etc. I think pets should be trained with you as you fight. I think they need to gain small amounts of experience as you do with each battle. I would be fine with having to train your pet up to an adult the normal way in the PP first before this would happen, but after that you can choose to keep training in the PP for potentially faster xp gains or keep your sanity and get slower gains as you play through the game.

If all my pet ever got for any battle was 1 experience per monster then that would still be better to me than another mini game.

well i dont try to be rude or anything but to it seen just fare how it is i mean developers of this games . have to make the xtra cash some how to keep making this game better for us . and that dont come cheap. ki to me is a very responsable family game developer. ill say the minigames is fine for pets cuz keep our kids bussy in diferent things think of it like if it is another mission or quest or if you prfer challenge. and to the other coments about this same thing. why only post about the pet training. if the plants is about the same. but is just my oppinion to your post buddy.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
jharber wrote:

Well the game is offline at the moment, so here i am on the message boards. Hope I don't get banned lol.

Aww man! i said well again, oops, censored lol

Anyways, I totally and unequivocally agree with you jharber: the pet leveling system is the woist! I hate leveling my pets. It's monotonous, I want to fall asleep, i drink coffee, i pinch myself, i read PvP rants, anything to stay awake long enough to level that pet. But guess what? Dire news, the pet learned crafty or androit or some other silly talent, now i wish i had ginger ale instead and then go to sleep.

I think you are right; pets should gain exp from our duels. I have suggested that a long time ago, over at central i think, maybe even before CL

And so far only the CL pets are worth leveling. ALL the others have 70% passive talents but the CL pets will give you something useful all the way.

i think the pet Pavilion was probably rushed cause KI was loosing players due to boredom so they hustled in the pet pavilion until they could release Celestia to keep us interested but enough time have elapsed, they need to properly fix it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NicoUzumaki wrote:
jharber wrote:

Well the game is offline at the moment, so here i am on the message boards. Hope I don't get banned lol.

Aww man! i said well again, oops, censored lol

Anyways, I totally and unequivocally agree with you jharber: the pet leveling system is the woist! I hate leveling my pets. It's monotonous, I want to fall asleep, i drink coffee, i pinch myself, i read PvP rants, anything to stay awake long enough to level that pet. But guess what? Dire news, the pet learned crafty or androit or some other silly talent, now i wish i had ginger ale instead and then go to sleep.

I think you are right; pets should gain exp from our duels. I have suggested that a long time ago, over at central i think, maybe even before CL

And so far only the CL pets are worth leveling. ALL the others have 70% passive talents but the CL pets will give you something useful all the way.

i think the pet Pavilion was probably rushed cause KI was loosing players due to boredom so they hustled in the pet pavilion until they could release Celestia to keep us interested but enough time have elapsed, they need to properly fix it.

jharber, I am glad to see this post. I was just thinking about the same thing, and infact, posted it on central regarding botched plant harvests.

PP is the most boring thing in W101.
By the time I have run my pet 4 or 5 times I am so bored I am ready to go to sleep myself. Plus this is usually where I start having problems.

I think that we should be able to train our pets in battle since that is the whole purpose of leveling them in the first place.

But I would say that our pets should earn anywhere from 10% to 25% of the xp we gain ourselves. Leveling them in PP to adult would be a good idea and then take them to battle.

We would still need to feed them, but the task would not be quite so disheartening when it comes to raising those plants that are supposed to give mega snacks but seem to have reduced drop rates.

Battling with our pets would be a lot more fun and I think most would find that even trying to complete those badges would be a little easier to deal with. And As Nico stated, the pets from CL are a little more advanced. Many of us have several pets we would like to train, but are not interested in spending hours a day in PP. Nor do we have the crowns for the mega snacks. I want to train mine, but would rather do it in BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope KI will take this under consideration since it will make things more productive.

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011

Just to add another point to this topic. I just leveled my sea dragon to epic. It was horrible and a huge waste of my time. I had high hopes that I would get something spectacular. I have gotten got pain-giver, spell-proof, and pierce monger so far and although I was not 100% happy with pierce monger it was alright overall, so I looked at sea dragons talents and decided he had so many other awesome ones and only one bad one (not really bad, but not good compared to the rest) I decided it would totally be worth it to train him to epic. When I got to epic what did I get? Health Gift!!! of course! I am sure a lot of people know how long it takes to get a pet to epic. I feel totally ripped off now honestly. This is just another reason that KI needs to change the way pets are leveled up. That is the last time I waste time getting a pet to epic. Is this really the way KI wants us to feel about their game? I don't think it is. :?

I feel like my poor sea dragon is tainted now lol

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
After almost 2 years away I came back to wiz101 to find many new changes, pets being one! I logged in and pubs that 2 of my 8 pets were adults while 3 were teen and the rest babies. I didn't do anything to level my pets I just logged in. These two pets were the ones that I used most in my time playing before my break. 

Honestly I thought that pets leveled as you used them at that point until I read all the new information about everything. 

I think that pets should level slowly with you as you quest and fast via the minigames. Personally I think the games should award 10-25 points as you play instead of just 4. Then with the added treats you could level a pet fast or just use it in your adventures and get 4-10 points per fight or kill. This would allow people the choice of leveling a pet. 

Additionally with pets I think they should have access to 5 skills 3 abilities and 2 stat improvements. 

Survivor
Oct 18, 2010
Pets that dont get really spectacular abilities by epic are huge let downs also buying mega snacks and getting nothing from pets like sea dragon or starfish or fierce hounds is the worse--Train to adult then let the pets gain experience and abilities in fights helping us, thats what I say. Wizard 101 finds away to make us spend money to no avail for us from every corner of this game- You do not get your money's worth or value for your time. This is a huge draw back to this pay to play game( because it is not free to play at all). When I give up hard earned money I expect to get value for it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
jharber wrote:

Just to add another point to this topic. I just leveled my sea dragon to epic. It was horrible and a huge waste of my time. I had high hopes that I would get something spectacular. I have gotten got pain-giver, spell-proof, and pierce monger so far and although I was not 100% happy with pierce monger it was alright overall, so I looked at sea dragons talents and decided he had so many other awesome ones and only one bad one (not really bad, but not good compared to the rest) I decided it would totally be worth it to train him to epic. When I got to epic what did I get? Health Gift!!! of course! I am sure a lot of people know how long it takes to get a pet to epic. I feel totally ripped off now honestly. This is just another reason that KI needs to change the way pets are leveled up. That is the last time I waste time getting a pet to epic. Is this really the way KI wants us to feel about their game? I don't think it is. :?

I feel like my poor sea dragon is tainted now lol

I know how you feel jharber. I worked to train a jellyfish hoping for spritely. By the time I got him to epic and that was without mega snacks which took well over 2 weeks I was so sick of the pet games I could scream then to NOT get spritely was just about the last straw. Plus I crafted ranks 4 and 5 snacks as well as some that I bought in the bazaar or took from my other wizards.

I have another Jelly that I have started and when I got him to teen, I got Health Gift of 13. I just really don't much care to continue with any pet training unless KI makes some changes. It is NOT FUN to train in the PP. Training there to adult would be ok if the rest of it could be done in battle.

I have seen a lot of comments on Central on this same issue. Players training their pets looking for certain talents then they don't get them. It gets very disheartening.

This needs to be CHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!