Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A few questions for older players (14+)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
Do you ever wish the game didn't seem so geared towards young children? Getting called "young wizard" by pretty much everyone? Having bosses say things like "arghh! bested by a mere child!" when you aren't?

Don't get me wrong, I love Wizard101 because it isn't so complex, but do you think they could do a few small simple changes just to make it a bit more adult and older teen friendly? I know it's main demographic is younger people and families who want to play with their kids, but not their only demographic.

This is really just to see people opinions, or if anyone else thought about this also.

Thank you! :D

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
braineeakman wrote:
Do you ever wish the game didn't seem so geared towards young children? Getting called "young wizard" by pretty much everyone? Having bosses say things like "arghh! bested by a mere child!" when you aren't?

Don't get me wrong, I love Wizard101 because it isn't so complex, but do you think they could do a few small simple changes just to make it a bit more adult and older teen friendly? I know it's main demographic is younger people and families who want to play with their kids, but not their only demographic.

This is really just to see people opinions, or if anyone else thought about this also.

Well, I am "way over" 14+. And I quite enjoy being called "young wizard". It makes me smile. :D

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
When we start playing we are indeed very young wizards. As we move a long we are still young wizards. They are addressing our characters. At my age I find being called young wizard a treat. I am older. lol

Megan-who likes being called young immensely! :D

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I'm into my 50's, and it doesn't bother me any.

The characters in the game ARE young wizards. They're depicted as children, probably pre-teens or early teens (although I suppose that a wizard can look older by choosing white hair and/or a scary-looking face). The staff is simply staying in theme by using the term "young wizard".

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I don't see it as a problem when 'in character', I do see it as a problem when on these boards 'out of character'.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
Didn't even think twice about it...

Besides, we are all relatively young wizards - compared to Ambrose and our school professors.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
colagada wrote:
I'm into my 50's, and it doesn't bother me any.

The characters in the game ARE young wizards. They're depicted as children, probably pre-teens or early teens (although I suppose that a wizard can look older by choosing white hair and/or a scary-looking face). The staff is simply staying in theme by using the term "young wizard".

Have you looked closely at the character designs on our wizards? They all look like adults with stunted growth!

Community Leader
braineeakman wrote:

Hello,
I am as one might say it a much older player. You asked the question If I wished Wizard101 wasn't so gear for Younger Children? The answer is no. I came to wizard101 for the comic views and the for fun it gives. I saw the commercial for Wizard101 while kids were watching cartoons, I even asked does that look good? So we went and checked it out. From then on history.

I think of Wizard101 as a G rated Disney,Pixar or Dreamsworks movie, with all its slight of hand humor,who can ever resist a good movie. I also love the adult easter eggs( reference material) I find . ;)

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
braineeakman wrote:

Most of the people in the game are really old, so they call everyone young (no offense to the elderly.)

Survivor
Mar 20, 2010
I agree, at my age it is sort of fun to be called a "young wizard"! But as my wizards advance in level I sort of think of them as growing up. I have a level 31 Ice/Life and think of her as my "kick-all" young woman!

I found the game by accident, I have no real life friends or family who play so I am doing my best to solo the game and find deck strategy a real ADULT challenge! I am constantly changing my deck around. I love that I have a choice to do pvp or pets or gardening or spruce up my room. I don't do any of it, all my gold goes for my girls clothes and I love when I level up to where she can go SHOPPING! She is an Ice TANK!

I also really enjoy my Level 22 Balance/Death and am learning to appreciate my Level 12 Life/Storm. My Level 14 Storm/Life is possibly headed for the deleat button and I may do a Ice/Death. Ice was my first wizard and I have grown very fond of that shcool.

Love the game and love that anyone can play.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Well... I guess I am 14+, but I never really thought it was strange. Lol, I don't see much difference from me playing as an 11 year old than to any random guy making his character more buff than he is in real life in any other RPG. Which happens a lot, I would bet. Love the game so it doesn't really matter to me.

Taryn Dragonsong
Teenage Wizard.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
I just wish that when a NPC talks to us, that they would address the same way in both voice and text block dialect. For instance when a NPC says Wizard Shadowflame* in the text block, they say say young wizard with their voice.

*Shadowflame is the last name of one of my wizards.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
random1self wrote:
I just wish that when a NPC talks to us, that they would address the same way in both voice and text block dialect. For instance when a NPC says Wizard Shadowflame* in the text block, they say say young wizard with their voice.

*Shadowflame is the last name of one of my wizards.

That would be really awesome, but it might take too long for the wide (and wonderful, may I add) cast of voice actors to record.
Backstory- I remember, as a young kid, playing those "educational" games, before allowed to play more combative stuff. They had the same kind of naming system as Wizard 101 does, and they did say each individual name. Only they.... Didn't. If someone said Shadowflame, it would have sounded like this:
Shadow......... Flame.........
Which taught me where to find the computer's "mute" button.
So honestly, I think Wizard101 is better the way it is

-Taryn

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
For any older player posting, I would like to say that kids (yes even teens 14+ are kids) want to be treated and thought of as an adult. All kids deep in there hearts wanna be treated and thought of as something "superior." So a kid will think of his/hers age as "old" so being called young can insult someone. So braineeakman, don't think of the NPC's as calling YOU young, but as them calling your wizard young.

P.S.
I know this because I am trying to fight this inner urge as many people do not appreciate it. Now you may think that it is just me, but I see people trying to act like "adults" everyday on wizard101.

Also sorry if I insulted any players, nor is that directed at you braineeakman.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Hi! I am 41 and play with my Daughter. It doesn't bother me to be called young Wizard. Feeling a bit old these days, hee hee! I also play World of Warcraft which is very complex and very adult so playing Wizard 101 is a breath of fresh air and more relaxing. Sometimes W.O.W can be really hard. Plus people are more friendly on Wizard 101!
I will play this game til I max out my levels I love it so much!

Survivor
Jun 25, 2008
i sort of agree. i am a teen player and get kinda annoyed with evryone calling me “young wizard” i think that when you enter your birthdate, if your 12 and under the npc's refer 2 you as a young wizard. but for 12 and up, your a wizard. and maybe even 30 and up like elder wizard or somrthing like that lol

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
For any older player posting, I would like to say that kids (yes even teens 14+ are kids) want to be treated and thought of as an adult. All kids deep in there hearts wanna be treated and thought of as something "superior." So a kid will think of his/hers age as "old" so being called young can insult someone. So braineeakman, don't think of the NPC's as calling YOU young, but as them calling your wizard young.

P.S.
I know this because I am trying to fight this inner urge as many people do not appreciate it. Now you may think that it is just me, but I see people trying to act like "adults" everyday on wizard101.

Why would they play if it bothered them

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
Hero
Jul 27, 2009
ok Young Wizard isn't a reference to age of person
it refers to Wizarding Age in the World of Magic.

so even if you are 100 yrs old and just started you are a young wizard.

again being called a child is not a reference to human age
but to wizarding age and until we are conferred into the Elder Wizarding levels we will be a Young Wizard

as a Wizard you are a Child of Magic

So Young Wizard Do Your Best.
remember you will always be a Child of Magic

oh those evil doers are so ignorant

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Err I give up.
I'm a teenager, but this really doesn't bother me. If it does anyone else, so be it, I'll leave you to it ;)

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
Paige MoonShade wrote:
braineeakman wrote:

Hello,
I am as one might say it a much older player. You asked the question If I wished Wizard101 wasn't so gear for Younger Children? The answer is no. I came to wizard101 for the comic views and the for fun it gives. I saw the commercial for Wizard101 while kids were watching cartoons, I even asked does that look good? So we went and checked it out. From then on history.

I think of Wizard101 as a G rated Disney,Pixar or Dreamsworks movie, with all its slight of hand humor,who can ever resist a good movie. I also love the adult easter eggs( reference material) I find . ;)

I agree. It kind of reminds me of Animaniacs. It was a kids cartoon with so many references added in for older viewers. It was one of those shows that an adult would seriously enjoy watching with their kids. They did the job so well in fact that I watched it regularly, and I have no kids.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:

P.S.

True, but all isn't quite the right word, lets change it to most. There are some that are smart and realize certain things at a younger age. :)

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
I like being refered to as 'young wizard' , i am VERY YOUNG at Heart, and my Mom said I never grew up LOL, I am a grand mom and I have passed to 60 mark, used to D&D , then RPG here, my wizard Keria Frostweaver is that character 'come to life' so to speak,
this game has given me a chance to just relax, have hours of fun, i 'socialize' with virtually only adults these days, many of the kids i first knew never returned, i will start 3rd year soon with the olest account
my grand son wanted this loaded , he was 5 1/2 then, i fell for the game and 2 days later subscribed, then a new one 6 months later

getting ready for a third account

So keep calling me YOUNG and maybe I can HOLD THE YEARS BACK longer LOL

keira

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
It has never bothered me. I actually did not think about this 'issue' until just now. And I been playing on and off since 2008.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
ellielee wrote:
Didn't even think twice about it...

Besides, we are all relatively young wizards - compared to Ambrose and our school professors.

Yep I agree w/this whole thing