Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rivalries As Old As Time

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
Introduction

Storm. Fire. Ice. Death. Life. Myth. Balance.
The seven schools of legend. All with intense power and all with their secretive weaknesses. And each school with its myriad of followers, eager to learn and practice the art of their desired school.

But... with every school comes one that opposes it. And here, on this very thread we shall convey our love (and hate) for the branches of magic through a different form of PvP - the verbal kind.

Sharpen your tongues and ready your defenses, players.

Rules

Obviously, try to quell your aggression. Yes, I want your personal opinion, no matter how biased it may be, but don't get completely worked up. This is a discussion forum, not a battleground. If you have a problem with someone, I'm sure that you two can plan a one-on-one PvP match in an arena somewhere. Okay?

Like I said, this is a forum for discussion. Naturally, everyone has different opinions and its perfectly natural to defend your own opinion, but don't shoot down someone's opinion just because they don't agree with you. That's completely rude. I've seen this happen on other threads and I don't want to happen on mine. My job here is to make up coalesce, not split apart.

Alright, I think that's all covered. Now to get us started, let's have our first discussion question!

Question

Now this question is more for fun and to set the mood than anything else. The situation is rather long, but you need to read it to fully understand the question.

Say you are a Legendary wizard of your chosen school, and in order to defeat Malistare, you and a Legendary from each school is sent to beat him. Malistare, however, has pulled a last-ditch attempt to defeat Merle Ambrose - he has brainwashed your entire team into thinking that Merle is evil and now you're on a rampage, programmed to completely destroy all of Wizard City (by ALL of Wizard City I mean the streets - Unicorn Way, Triton Avenue, Haunted Cave, Cyclops Lane, Firecat Alley, Dark Cave, Colossus Boulevard and Sunken City. Not Ravenwood or the Commons, because you would have to be crazy, suicidal, and/or just not bright to attack Ravenwood). So with all that said: which one of the Legendary wizards would do the most collateral damage? And which one would do the least amount of damage?

Have fun.
- - Vashiane (Llewella Mancer, Adept Diviner; Kestrel Mancer, Initiate Necromancer; Iridian Mancer, Initiate Thaumaturge)

Defender
May 17, 2009
Storm would do the most amount of damage. While their weakness is low health, they hit hard and fast, if they load a deck with tempests they can kill on the first turn, and can easily regain lost health. I might say life or ice would do the least amount of damage, but I am unsure about it.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
The Diviner would do the most collateral damage. Why? Accuracy.

As a Legendary Wizard, the smart Diviner would give him/herself access to greater accuracy and a better chance to do damage. Storm is also wild and crazy, and can release a massive amount of destructive power in one flick of a tail *cough* Leviathan *cough*.

Ice and Life would do the least collateral damage, because in a group, doing damage wouldn't be a Thaumaturge's, or a Theurge's, thing. A Thaumaturge's thing would be to be a tank and soak up any hits that his/her teammates might have coming. A Theurge's game would be to repair that tank if it gets scratched up, or act as a medic for any cheap shots inflicted upon the actual damage-dealers.

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and Military Strategist

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Excellent post.

Points of clarity please.

Does "collateral damage", as being used here, extend to the "unintended but unavoidable" property damage (buildings/infratructure) as well as the "accidental" prosecution with extreme prejudice of innocent, untargeted bystanders, how unfortunate, happening to be occupying an organic life-form within the targeted area at the scheduled time of our ... "assignment"?

The mission calls for the destruction of every street ... one would think that includes the infrastructure as well as the biology. Does it?

If we have been sent to DESTROY Wizard City ... how can there be any "collateral (ie; "unintended") damage" at all? ... ;)

And WHOM, or WHAT, would be considered ... INNOCENT ... by whatever monitoring agency is charged with the bagging of bodies and tallying comparative statistics? For example, DO pets and Minions count?

If so, has PETA been notifed this is a theoretical exercise and no ACTUAL harm of non-human participants is allowed?

Does a building have to be physically reduced to rubble or would simply making it "unuseable" qualify for success under these Rules Of Engagement?

I ask because DOT spells and "Big-Pippers" castings are very effective under these circumstances, but Gobbler Wind(either end), Bat/Bird Guano, and a host of other "environmental" WMD's are more quickly applied.

Best Wishes.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Defender
Oct 05, 2010
storm cause you could summon a kraken and boom bye bye one street, boom, bye bye another, prisim on trioton and boom all done

Explorer
Nov 14, 2010
I say it would be a tie between the storm wizard and the fire wizards for the most damage

second I would say Balance because not only Ra's giant feet and burning hot sun but also because the balance wizards could tip the scales of Balance making the team stronger while makein the Wizard city defenders weak.And then there is the death and myht wizards,the myth wizards could stun people and then attack the twice(CHEATER SCHOOL),and then death would come in and then probably use there dragon to pioson the streets,then finally the ice and life wizards, Life wizards would either heal thier team or grow something to lie in while the real schools are doing something, the Ice wizards would probably stun or freeze ppl or entire areas making it easier to destroy.This is my logic on the ordeal

Balance rules and storm is just the water school renamed.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
Historian
May 01, 2010
life or ice will do the most, why? they have great endurance, they can heal(life), makes battle out longer, and have weaknesses and insane health(ice)

which would do least? storm, yes it is the highest damage school but they will get defeated earlier than the life and rest of the schools, hence less damage than the others.

i got these ideas from my regular school, fire, those reasons are why DoTs are so powerful, less damage over more time is better than all out front, some may agree(mostly those in fire XD) some may dissagree

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Sorcery.
It has no opposite, because it is balance and chaos in itself.
It takes some of the good qualities from each school, and it works well with any other school. We can dish out pretty good amounts of damage on our own, and then add COLOSSAL amounts of damage to any other wizard's attack. Our biggest weaknesses are not being able to do much against one kind of enemy- another balance. They resist, and we are the only school without a convert.
hehehe that's my case then

Taryn Dragonsong
Legendary Sorcerer 8)

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
alex321694 wrote:
Excellent post.

Points of clarity please.

Does "collateral damage", as being used here, extend to the "unintended but unavoidable" property damage (buildings/infratructure) as well as the "accidental" prosecution with extreme prejudice of innocent, untargeted bystanders, how unfortunate, happening to be occupying an organic life-form within the targeted area at the scheduled time of our ... "assignment"?

The mission calls for the destruction of every street ... one would think that includes the infrastructure as well as the biology. Does it?

If we have been sent to DESTROY Wizard City ... how can there be any "collateral (ie; "unintended") damage" at all? ... ;)

And WHOM, or WHAT, would be considered ... INNOCENT ... by whatever monitoring agency is charged with the bagging of bodies and tallying comparative statistics? For example, DO pets and Minions count?

If so, has PETA been notifed this is a theoretical exercise and no ACTUAL harm of non-human participants is allowed?

Does a building have to be physically reduced to rubble or would simply making it "unuseable" qualify for success under these Rules Of Engagement?

I ask because DOT spells and "Big-Pippers" castings are very effective under these circumstances, but Gobbler Wind(either end), Bat/Bird Guano, and a host of other "environmental" WMD's are more quickly applied.

Best Wishes.

not sure what kind of clarification you need. The poster was quite clear. Malistiare turned you against Merle so all of wiz city is now your enemy, there are no innocents, you are on a ramapage so anything in your path you will destroy.

Sheesh what's so hardi n that to understand

Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
Wow. I am thoroughly impressed. :-) I love reading your answers, especially since they were so well-thought out. (alex321694's is my personal favorite. I like when people bring reality into unrealistic situations.) Now, here's my own opinion.

Vash's Answer
I'd have to say, no, not Storm, but Balance. Yes, sunsword44, I agree with you. Here's why:
Yes, a Storm Legendary would do a massive amount of damage, especially on Cyclops Lane (would CL even EXIST after a Storm Legendary went through it?) However, you have to remember this very important fact. Storm wizards have low health. Meaning? We would die rather quickly, meaning our rampage would be brief, yet destructive. Kind of like a tornado, but filled with water, lightning and the occasional mythical Titan. [/nods]
But Balance has much better health than Storm, and none of the streets in Wizard City are Balance-related. (Unicorn Way is a balance of Life and Death) So, this means no restraints. Just major pwnage.
:)
Now onto our next question, which ironically, also has to deal with Balance.

Question
Do you believe that the Balance school is overpowered compared to the others? Also, do you think that the Balance school should have a opposing school (like Life and Death)?

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Old Business:

Wasn't looking for clarity. Giggles, Compadre'. Smiles. The word "collateral" means something to those of us who try to follow directions (a dying art, lol) ... and find humor along the way ... ;)

And you are most welcome, OP. Hope it made you smile. Did me.

New Business:

"Do you believe that the Balance school is overpowered compared to the others? Also, do you think that the Balance school should have a opposing school (like Life and Death)?"

No.
It already does. It is called Chaos ... and it is an "implied" school.

I say no. for now, to the overpowered because the Balance I am playing, limited to his starter deck with all balance spells except 3 pixies, is finishing MOST boss fights literally with 50 health or less, and THAT is on a "If I fizzle, then I die." basis. NONE of the other schools has provided this level of "white-knuckle" experience and ALL schools are played with the same equipment/spell limits to TEST how to best play each school and to learn what they can and cannot do.

I LOVE this guy! Nobody makes me want to yell at my monitor like my Balance wizard. He's exciting to play!!!

Well, there was that Storm fizzler ... lol, but THAT was not "cheering";).

The "School of Chaos" opposes Balance because in The Spiral, magic was originally created by harnessing two "powers". Originally, the Elements provided Fire, Frost, and Storm, but the only beings in existence were the Dragons, the Ice Giants, and Storm Titons, rulers of Land, Sea, and Sky. Later, non-immortal beings, incapable of eternal existence and eon spanning historical memory, were possessed by Spirit, and given Life, Death, and Myth to make their temporary lives and accomplishments ... sustainable ... after their short, physical existence had expired.

In the flux of practicing the arts of Element and Spirit together over time, a third power was discovered that did not depend upon the simple accumulation of physical elemental damage or moral, religious, driven by Gods, spiritual damage that decided the outcome of most magical duels.

There came into existence the power of Will, tempered by the science and understanding of ... Reason. And the Power of Balance came to be.

There exists sources of power beyond Land, Sea, Sky, Life, Death, and Myth. Sandstorms, Locusts, can be WILLED to exist where they do not, and the most powerful force of a shared conciousness, Judgement, can be wielded as if it were a physical thing, by those with the WILL to harness it. Fire, Frost, and Lightening are no longer forces reserved just for Nature. Somewhere, beyond the science of furnaces, refridgerators, and batteries lies an understanding of their existence that allows the REASONING and WILLED mind to simply "make it so". It is this merging of Spirit and Element that gives Balance its unique application of their strengths.

It is also Balance's greatest weakness.

Presented with so many options ... indecision breeds ... time is lost ... oppurtunity squandered ... and survival ... at its greatest risk. Most Balance deaths are the result of indecision, not technical application. Balance requires a Plan, governed by the science of studying magic, and strict adherence to that REASONED plan thru WILL, when the distractions of battle become a clangored blur. This is true of all schools, but Balance is walking a thinner line than the other wizards I play. Much thinner.

This type of Chaos has ALWAYS existed and successfull Balance wizards have found ways to stay focused. But now, the Sun, Moon, and Stars are bringing OTHER powers into play. Is a Fire wizard who morphs into a Treant STILL a Fire wizard? Is a 50% shield worth a nickel in a world of criticals? How will Balance "plan" his attack and defense among so many ... unknowns? For THAT matter, how will any of us live past the first three rounds if mobs EVER develop a coordinated 30 pip attack?

Chaos, the unplanned, unwilled, unmotivated conglomeration of things that just "are" - has always formed the "opposite" of Balance. But Celestia, has not just thrown the doors open for Chaos to bloom.

Pandora's Box has been smashed in the process.

I cannot wait to see what KI does AFTER Celestia.

PS: The real reason there should not be an 8th school opposing Balance is although there ARE 8 chairs in the Wizard creation classroom ... only 6 of them "work". lol.

Delver
Dec 06, 2009
izzi250 wrote:
we'd all be the most poweerful if we all combined powers

That would be called the School of Balance.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
icewing43 wrote:
izzi250 wrote:
we'd all be the most poweerful if we all combined powers

That would be called the School of Balance.

Nope. Balance is just the Elemental Schools.

Explorer
Mar 25, 2009
This question depends on which wiz takes which street... whoever takes UW does most damage automatically cuz UW is weak. If Ice gets CB, they do the least. Same goes for myth/Cyclops lane, Fire/FA, and Storm/TA.