Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Secondary Schools

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 28, 2011
Well, I'm kind of new to this game.
So, When do I get to choose my secondary school?
or how do I know which is my secondary school?
I'm so lost, lol.
As far as I know, I'm a Ice Wizard.
I'm sure many are laughing right now. Haha.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
Defender
Feb 17, 2009
My first school was ice also, and I have never regretted it. Partly because people hate facing ice, but they also like to have us on their side.

Anyways, I chose life because it was handy when a teammate died, or was about to, I could heal them real quick, and still have enough health to attack.

Thomas Swiftthistle, Legendary Ice.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2011
Sydnia:

I'm new also, 1 week today :), but have picked up a couple things. Your main school you get your spells at various points, for free, by visiting the appropriate Professor.

As for Secondary, you can start that once you have "training points", you get the points at so many levels and from quests. What you pick is up to you. I've looked around the boards to see if there was any insight from the pros about good combinations of Primary with Secondary but haven't seen it yet.

My main's Primary is Myth and I chose Death as my Secondary for no other reason than I liked the Ghoul spell which does damage and returns half of it back to you as a heal. I'd say go to all the trainers look at the available spells, through all the levels to make sure you have the whole picture, then pick what seems like it would be fun based on how you like to play.

The spells start at Level 1, 6, 10, and on up. So that's when you can look for new ones for the Secondary. One thing I'm still trying to figure out, just so you know ahead of time, is that I currently 2 training points available and my Death (secondary) trainer doesn't even talk to me anymore lol.

Anyway, that's the little I know about it right now. Good luck and most importantly, have FUN!!

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
sydniawesome wrote:
Well, I'm kind of new to this game.
So, When do I get to choose my secondary school?
or how do I know which is my secondary school?
I'm so lost, lol.
As far as I know, I'm a Ice Wizard.
I'm sure many are laughing right now. Haha.

Not laughing at you. We were all new to the game once. So, let me share some thing I've learned.

1. There is no official choice of secondary schools. You earn training points in various ways throughout the game (leveling, Zeke quests, and Celestia quests later on). You can use these training points to learn certain spells from schools of magic other than your primary school. You can also purchase supplementary spells like shields from someone in the fairgrounds in WC or spirit and elemental blades and traps from Niles the Balance tree in Krokotopia. It's better to use most of these points on one or two schools spells as you have to get the spells in order from lowest to highest. Splitting your training points up amongst too many schools means you'll never get more valuable spells. The school or schools you choose are your secondary schools.

2. I've found that the best option for most schools is to focus on two secondary schools with an emphasis on boosting your own attacks or better defending or healing yourself. The reason is that as you level (and buy better gear) you power pip level will increase, as will the attack boosts you receive for your primary school's spells. Because of that, it's a waste of both your power pips and your attack boosts to use high level attack spells from secondary schools. Even if you're facing a boss from your primary school, it's still better to use your own spells. Just be sure to use a prism first. The three best secondary schools with this idea in mind are ice, life, and death. For ice, you get the spells up to tower shield. You'll get a shield that protects against fire and storm along the way, and you'll end up with a tower shield that will protect against everything...including balance. It takes 5 training points to get the tower shield spell. If you want to focus on attacking as opposed to defense, then go with death up to the Feint spell. Feint lays a 70% trap on an enemy, but also puts a 30% trap on you. It's certainly worth it though, and nothing boosts an attack like Feint. It takes 7 training points I believe to get Feint. Life is an obvious choice for one reason...healing. If you take on life as a secondary school, you want to focus on getting the Satyr spell. It's the best healing spell you can get with a training point. I forget how many training points it takes for that, maybe 6 or something like that. Since you're an ice wizard, I'd recommend going with life as a secondary up to Satyr and Death up to feint. choose which one you figure you need first, and stick with that school till you reach either Satyr or Feint, then switch to the next school.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
just visit the schools and train whatever spells you think you may benefit from. On my storm wizard i trained some life spells to counter the fact that my health is low. I also occasionally used life damage spells against storm bosses with very high resist who also seem to cast a lot of myth shield on themselves. But its a waste to consume power pips on spells from other schools so as my power pip chance increases i feel that the only thing that matters is good zero mana spells from other schools, such as tower shield from ice. Its basically not necessary to have a secondary school at all and its annoying that all the recepies for crafted items assume that a secondary school is used a lot. I would happily trade all my taining points for something else, like a passive 3% damage increase or something. BUt that is not possible.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
One thing I never understood. Why would any school except for life and death ever choose anything other than life as their secondary school?

Training spells from other schools is a waste of training points, in my opinion. And casting those spells is a waste of pips. And being able to heal I would think is an abvious choice.

If you train Tower Shield, Feint, and Satyr, you'll automatically have trained attacks from the Ice, Death, and Life school. Why anything else at all? Like Storm. Storm is powerful, sure. But in order to cast those powerful spells, you need to forego any power pips and wait extra turns to possibly cast that spell, which may simply result in fizzle. And other than flat out damage, Storm offers nothing that could match the utility of Tower Shield, healing spells, or the death spells up to and including feint.

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
It's really a waste of training points to train in life as well, as you can wait and learn the Treant spell at the appropriate level. Until then you can use the fairy spell (that all wizards learn free) or use TC to heal.

I recommend all schools learn ice to Tower Shield. In your case, it's already your primary school. I would instead recommend learning death to feint for ice.

The remaining training points I would save until you get to Celestia and learn from the new schools. You would benefit the most from learning Sun - damage boost up to Gargantuan, Star - the shield and damage boost spells, and Moon - Treant. I would also PVP enough so that you can learn the spell from Diego that blocks critical and stun.

I wouldn't worry about using all of your training points, because new spells will be coming. The latest news is that we will be getting new spells with the next release, in the near future. It's always best to plan ahead. :)