Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Who Needs 'Em?!

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I still can't figure out what Mansions are supposed to do for us. Mansions, although visually appealing, aren't as convenient as dorms. The dorms are a decent size so they're easier to decorate, but not so easy as to become cluttered and messy, they also have a world door 2 ft. away, and of course they're free! Why would you give all that up?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I still can't figure out what Mansions are supposed to do for us. Mansions, although visually appealing, aren't as convenient as dorms. The dorms are a decent size so they're easier to decorate, but not so easy as to become cluttered and messy, they also have a world door 2 ft. away, and of course they're free! Why would you give all that up?

Well, you're not giving it up. The dorm is always there. I think the mansions are fun, and from a moving through worlds standpoint, they are better because you can hit your home button and you're standing next to a world gate. I never saw the point originally, but then I decided I had to craft the Grizzleheim house. Decorating it and acquiring stuff to fill it is surprisingly fun. They are also much, much better if you are a gardener.

Defender
May 17, 2009
Mansions are much larger than dorms, and can hold much more items including plants and crafting tables. While these might fit in a dorm, it would be crowded. Certain houses have dueling circles, and some are to empty out some of your backpack. Also, the mansions have a spiral door inside them. Mansions are certainly more convinient than dorm rooms, and as for your comment about, "Cluttered and messy," the dorms are much easier to get crowded. They also have no unique part about them, just a simple wood small area. The mansions have a unique feeling, can express some of your tastes, and just look cooler. Do you think your friends would be impressed more with a Celestial Observatory, or a simple boring dorm room? Unless this post was sarcastic, I really don't know why you would even think about this, let alone post it.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
Well you would give it all up for a few reasons.
1. in the future you'll have too much furniture for you're dorm
2. in a "mansion" your spiral door is right behind you when you go to your house.
3. THEY'RE AWESOME!

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I like houses! Dorms are boring! Many people like castles/houses/mansions. You don't have to use them but that doesn't mean other people can't.

Defender
May 25, 2009
I need them. I love my castle, and would much rather have a nice, roomy castle than a 20 ft wide space. I like to show off my things, and none of my statues, Garden, plus anything else would possibly fit in that drawer that they call a Dorm room. Its good for noobs (In the most possible respect), but I need my space, man. If you dont have a Castle, I recommend getting one. The cheapest one is only 8000 Gold, which you can get more than 2x as much farming Trial of Spheres once! That Castle has plenty space, but I like my fancy Life house :). That's why houses are important.

Anthony Ghosthunter, legendary Theurgist

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
maxitola2009 wrote:
Mansions are much larger than dorms, and can hold much more items including plants and crafting tables. While these might fit in a dorm, it would be crowded. Certain houses have dueling circles, and some are to empty out some of your backpack. Also, the mansions have a spiral door inside them. Mansions are certainly more convinient than dorm rooms, and as for your comment about, "Cluttered and messy," the dorms are much easier to get crowded. They also have no unique part about them, just a simple wood small area. The mansions have a unique feeling, can express some of your tastes, and just look cooler. Do you think your friends would be impressed more with a Celestial Observatory, or a simple boring dorm room? Unless this post was sarcastic, I really don't know why you would even think about this, let alone post it.

First, no. This wasn't sarcastic, and the fact that you actually think I'd waste my time creating a thread that's entirely satirical is kinda insulting to me. Obviously you didn't mean it that way, so I'm not taking it personally. Anyway, I guess we just have different perspectives on what domiciles should do for us; mine is more practical as yours is more ostentatious (forgive my word choice if it's incorrect; hopefully you get my point). I use my dorm as a shortcut to Wizard City, plus there's a spiral door right next to my dorm. I don't need a "unique" living space (especially since most of my living is outside my dorm) that "expresses my taste". Last time I checked there were infinite copies of every house, so how "unique" can your castle really be? Also, I don't need to buy something and decorate it to express myself. I carry anything I need with me and I'm not much of a gardener. I keep my backpack clean and sell anything I have no use for or put anything my other wizards would like in my bank, which comes with my free dorm. Although I don't like PvP, that's probably where I'd go if I wanted to battle with friends. I'm not a big fan of furniture either since it mostly sits in whatever place I put it in and collects virtual dust, so this is probably why I feel a dorm is easier to decorate than a castle. Lastly, I don't try to impress my friends with my living space; I'd rather put my energy in impressing firends with my skill and knowledge. You know, stuff that counts. Plus, I have better things to spend my money on than some castle.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
Well, you're not giving it up. The dorm is always there. I think the mansions are fun, and from a moving through worlds standpoint, they are better because you can hit your home button and you're standing next to a world gate. I never saw the point originally, but then I decided I had to craft the Grizzleheim house. Decorating it and acquiring stuff to fill it is surprisingly fun. They are also much, much better if you are a gardener.

I see your point, but why would you get a castle (that's what I meant, not "mansion") and use a dorm? From the moving through worlds standpoint, I guess it's a matter of time. Let's say you just went through Spiral Geographic and you want to refill your potion bottles. With a dorm you only need to hit the home button, leave your dorm, and go through the Commons tunnel. With a castle you need to hit the home button, go to your spiral door, select Wizard City, leave Bartleby, and get to the Commons tunnel. Maybe it's just me, but I can think of better things to acquire than some useless furniture, and I don't garden. Anyway, to each his own. You obviously have use for castles. I don't.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
I like houses! Dorms are boring! Many people like castles/houses/mansions. You don't have to use them but that doesn't mean other people can't.

Dorms don't have to be "boring"; they can be decorated just like castles can. I'm not asking KI to remove castles! lol I'm just having trouble seeing why their necessary.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
drifter5130 wrote:
Well you would give it all up for a few reasons.
1. in the future you'll have too much furniture for you're dorm
2. in a "mansion" your spiral door is right behind you when you go to your house.
3. THEY'RE AWESOME!

I wouldn't give it all up for a few reasons:

1. Furniture can be sold, and I'd rather sell furniture than try and find a place for it.
2. In a dorm, you're a shorter distance from things you might need (the schools, recoloring store, potions, the Bazaar, etc.)
3. THEY'RE FREE!

Defender
Oct 09, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I don't think mansions aren't "needed". MANY people love them. Besides, you can have more space for parties and more room for putting in stuff you need, like crafting tables. In a dorm, barely any space, you have to buy a pot every single time you want to plant, (if it requires a large plot, you can't do anything about it). And also, it could look pretty messy if you want to put a bunch of items you just HAVE to see every time you go to your house. And, there isn't a PVP circle in it like a few other houses.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
saphirathedragon wrote:
I need them. I love my castle, and would much rather have a nice, roomy castle than a 20 ft wide space. I like to show off my things, and none of my statues, Garden, plus anything else would possibly fit in that drawer that they call a Dorm room. Its good for noobs (In the most possible respect), but I need my space, man. If you dont have a Castle, I recommend getting one. The cheapest one is only 8000 Gold, which you can get more than 2x as much farming Trial of Spheres once! That Castle has plenty space, but I like my fancy Life house :). That's why houses are important.

So...houses are important because you can show it off and you can garden? I have more important things to do, I guess. I have the gold, but it just doesn't seem worth it. To me, spending Crowns on a castle is even worse.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2010
I agree and disagree, i use my dorm for you know loike the stuff that i really like but dont want at my house, and sometimes i disagree becasue the castle is much better you have better room space and the ability to have more room to play and have partys with your friend and stuff like that. :) Its a good and bad thing ya know :)

Alexandria
lvl 53 Ice

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Wizzgal wrote:
I don't think mansions aren't "needed". MANY people love them. Besides, you can have more space for parties and more room for putting in stuff you need, like crafting tables. In a dorm, barely any space, you have to buy a pot every single time you want to plant, (if it requires a large plot, you can't do anything about it). And also, it could look pretty messy if you want to put a bunch of items you just HAVE to see every time you go to your house. And, there isn't a PVP circle in it like a few other houses.

I never got the point of Wizard101 parties, either. What do you do? stand around and talk to people, finding new and interesting ways around the chat filter to actually say something of value? You can put crafting tables in your backpack, and to be honest I'm sick of everyone using gardening as an excuse for castles! We didn't even have gardening until a couple of months ago. I tried it; it's not as fun as everyone makes it seem. As far as I'm concerned furniture is just eye candy that doesn't even look that good, and I don't play PvP. Even if I did, there's an entire place for PvP.

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
Well, to each their own...I only have a dorm room. Good enough for me. I havent started gardening, but I will have some plants for my dorm. When I craft, I just pull down which crafting table I need from the attic.
I did have a home, but I just never got into decorating that much. But hey, if ya like having a castle/home then that is cool to :) I like training my pet, doing quests.
Have fun!!

Defender
May 25, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
saphirathedragon wrote:

So...houses are important because you can show it off and you can garden? I have more important things to do, I guess. I have the gold, but it just doesn't seem worth it. To me, spending Crowns on a castle is even worse.

Who said you have to buy houses with Crowns? I farmed Trial of spheres maybe 7 times to buy my house. Gardening gives good rewards, and if you pvp, awesome TCs. I also like to craft, and the crafted gear got me to Captain in pvp, when I was below Private using level 58 Gear. To me, showing off a Castle is expressing how you decorate and what you like. I have a HUMONGOUS Garden and that says I like to Garden. If you bring a person in your Dorm, "Wow, you have a bed, a desk, and a Bank. Pretty cool". I dont think so. I also have a big pet place, which expresses that I like to train pets. This could also fit in pvp, "Why do we need to pvp? What does it do to our character? Nothing". Well, if you get a good rank, you look cool. Same with houses.

Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist (Getting Pokemon White later :D)

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Odd. I happen to find the "convenience" aspect of getting everywhere all the time is ENHANCED by having a home above the "dorm".

By far, the easiest way to get from one spiral location to another is by hitting home and then immediately using your home's spiral door with an IMMEDIATE "x", followed by an immediate port to the common area, no 60 second wait needed, and no "travel" of any kind needed. It ALL done from where you are currently standing.

Without a home, you have to wait to exit the dorm door, travel to Bartleby, wait to enter Bartleby, wait to select the Spiral destination, and wait to select the common area.

Homes are quicker than dorms for inter-Spiral travel.

When one considers the different levels at which certain trainers and vendors are needed and the number of times a multi-wizard player needs to go cross-Spire ... the time savings and convenience of a non-moving, 3-button port is well worth the paltry fee of purchasing the house.

There IS a 60 second wait between porting to your castle and then porting to your dorm. If you are already in your castle when you press home, the game takes you to your dorm room. You do NOT have to switch "homes" in your back pack to get to your dorm, but you do have to wait 60 seconds between double tapping the home key.

I use that 60 seconds to dump stuff I want to keep, not sell by mistake, or use wastefully in a trivial fight, in my attic. My dorm room has all crafting tables, pets awaiting training, and potted plant gardening, usually stinkweed because no other plants like them. 14 stinkweed pots in your dorm generate in excess of $3000 per day ... for no effort other than checking on them when you pass thru your dorm. That's just from selling the treasure cards they produce. There is room for more if you are not training pets.

I also travel light. But I find the home enhances travel, and significantly speeds up my game. Playing 6 wizards ... it helps to move quickly and paint as few screens as possible when you are moving from place to place.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
Well i think dorms are just too small i mean if your a gardener, you hardly have any space to garden. I love castles cause you can express yourself or have a party and show off your cool stuff.

Now dorms are good for pet corrals, bag emptiers, or gate ways to wizard city but, thats all people really do in them. (plus they get really crowded...) :?

Bradley Blade legendary pyromancer

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:

I see your point, but why would you get a castle (that's what I meant, not "mansion") and use a dorm? From the moving through worlds standpoint, I guess it's a matter of time. Let's say you just went through Spiral Geographic and you want to refill your potion bottles. With a dorm you only need to hit the home button, leave your dorm, and go through the Commons tunnel. With a castle you need to hit the home button, go to your spiral door, select Wizard City, leave Bartleby, and get to the Commons tunnel. Maybe it's just me, but I can think of better things to acquire than some useless furniture, and I don't garden. Anyway, to each his own. You obviously have use for castles. I don't.

Yes, but when traveling from world to world in general, it's quicker if you have your own house. Also, I've seen times where the servers were overloaded, and people were stranded in the spiral chamber unable to go to the next world. That doesn't happen if you have your own door. I typically don't worry about getting a house until I reach DS. Once I have access to DS, having my own spiral door comes in handy when I need to fill my health and mana (much cheaper than using a potion). Simply mark your area, click the home button, and then take the spiral door to DS. In the basilica you can find both mana and health wisps. Simply fill up and port back to the area you marked and continue on questing with all of your potions intact. Having a home also helps if you want to do some gardening without buying a large supply of pots that will crowd your room. It's also nice to be able to set up all of your crafting tables for quick use. Those are the reasons I like having a house, but everyone is different. If you don't want one, don't buy one. It's your wizard, develop him or her how you see fit.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Dorms are small, that's the main issue with them. Yeah, they're free, but that's about the only good thing. You're also restricted to using Pots for planting, and many of the larger furniture items you pick up just won't fit. You quickly end up with something that looks more like a storage cupboard than a home...

I, personally, like decorating a house. Even though I'm the only person who sees it, I don't mind spending a few days on designing the perfect forest, or creating world-themed rooms in my castle, and I even spend gold on purchasing additional furniture for this very same purpose.

It's a little something extra for people to do amidst the mad hunt for xp and gold. And having my own spiral door rocks.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
although they may not be in wizard city, its far better to have a castle then a dorm. besides, if you get tired of a castle, you can always unequip it, allowing you to port to your dorm, buy a second castle, so you can alternate between your castles and dorm, or just sell your castle. plus, all houses are equipped with a spiral door and a unique feature, from the pvp arenas of the massive fantasy palace and cl observatory to the frozen gobbler of the ice castle, to the unicorn of the wooded cottage. and thats just too name a few. also you'll have an outdoor area and a much larger indoor area, probably with two floors. big improvement. big :)

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Well, ahem, the Mansions are good for decorating, parties, and everything, while the boring, old dorms are well, just for a novice who needs to find a little more experience.