Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Balance Truly Balaced?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
First off i'd like to say that this is not complaining that balance is over powered. I am just wondering why there isn't any balance spells that use life, death, or myth. I do have a low level balance and i was doing one of the their school quests. The trainer said that balance is the the best of all schools or something like that. It seems like the only spells concerning life, death, and myth are blades, traps, and a shield. This is just a suggestion but maybe KI should add a spirit attack.

Oran Stronghammer lvl60 Life
Ronan Goldensword lvl45 Storm

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
i think the reason balance is considered a sort of combination of all schools is because they use a lot of charms/traps/blades that effect all schools rather than the other schools which tend to focus only on one school (as storm you cast a blade that increases damage from storm only by 30%, or accuracy of storm only by 30%...as balance you can increase damage of ANY spell by 25% or accuracy of ANY spell by 10%)
you can use that howeer you want. Bascially it makes the secondary school for balance more potentially useful than a secondary school would be for other schools. Personally i made death the secondary school for my balance wizard so he can heal now with bladed death spells.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It's balanced because the Balance school attacks don't have a school-specific shield.

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
I agree.

I do not see how adding a "Spirit Blast" - same damage stats as the Spectral Blast would give any advantage to Balance that it does not already have. Based upon the docs and buffs Balance has, I suspect such a spell HAS existed at some time. It makes sense when you think of the symmetry of it.

That means the developers probably found it too strong during their testing ... and chose to remove it.

That also makes sense now that I think on it.

Casting a Spirit Blade, an Element Blade, a Spectral Blast and a "Spirit" Blast would take 4 combat rounds yielding 6 buffed spell effects costing 10 pips.

Any other wizard would need 12 rounds to deliver such a blow and be LONG dead before he finished it.

Probably too hard to figure out how to make it fair AND worth doing.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
I agree that Balance should have 2 spirit school based attacks, a spiritual blast and spiritual hydra.

I'd also like to see a elemental and spiritual prism that would convert a balance attack into a random school attack in that category.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
This would be a cool idea, I think. Balance is a highly element-oriented class, and it's difficult when, until level 35 or so, we have mostly shields and traps, but no spells that do any real damage. Versus life (whose wizards keep healing) and death (they suck everyone dry with all of those health-siphoning spells), who get a boost for attacking us, we need something more powerful, if we're ever going to stand a chance.

A spiritual blast (like the spectral one) would be a great help, especially against those other pesky Balance enemies- I once traded shields/traps with a guy in Grizzleheim for over 2 hours; Balance vs. Balance fights can last forever!

Laura Shadowsong
Level 50 Balance

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
bgmacaw wrote:
I agree that Balance should have 2 spirit school based attacks, a spiritual blast and spiritual hydra.

I'd also like to see a elemental and spiritual prism that would convert a balance attack into a random school attack in that category.

I agree with the prism idea for balance. I have a level 53 balance that is currently in the Grotto. My last battle before that was against the Crusteacen Shellbreakers in the Survey camp and of course they are balance. I was running solo for this quest, but Balance against Balance is one of the hardest schools I have done so far. I was constantly spammed with Judgement which did more damage to me than it did to them with the same amount of pips and blades and traps. Even using my secondary school which is life was hard because in order to keep from dying I could not save enough pips to do any real damage to them.

So yes, the prisms would be great.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
clyde1997 wrote:
I am just wondering why there isn't any balance spells that use life, death, or myth.

This was explained during the Krokotopia quests dealing with the order of the fang. The manders invented balance, but when the kroks arrived having just witnessed the power of elemental magic, they pushed the school in that direction once they seized control of Krokotopia.

clyde1997 wrote:
I do have a low level balance and i was doing one of the their school quests. The trainer said that balance is the the best of all schools or something like that. It seems like the only spells concerning life, death, and myth are blades, traps, and a shield. This is just a suggestion but maybe KI should add a spirit attack.

Oran Stronghammer lvl60 Life
Ronan Goldensword lvl45 Storm

The spirit schools are present in ways other than attacks. For instance, helping hands (life), hex (generic strong trap somewhere between curse and feint for death), and a second minion with a different tactical purpose than the first (myth). There are, of course, other elements such as the super high power pip percentage and accuracy (straight out of the spirit triangle) but this is just to give you an idea. Balance magic is "balanced", but the current school of balance teaches in a more lopsided fashion due to the history above. From a game dynamics perspective, giving balance spells that do spirit damage would unhinge the game as they would then be the only school to be able to cast damage from every school using power pips which they arguably get the highest percentage for.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
I agree with the prism idea for balance.

I don't favor this for two reasons. First, balance is the only class that can do damage from other classes with its own class spell (ie. Hydra and spectral blast) and therefore, a prism isn't really necessary. Second, balance damage is a combination of all schools and therefore its opposite should logically be no schools. A prism converting balance damage to its opposite would effectively be a -100% shield.

goldendragon18 wrote:
I have a level 53 balance that is currently in the Grotto. My last battle before that was against the Crusteacen Shellbreakers in the Survey camp and of course they are balance. I was running solo for this quest, but Balance against Balance is one of the hardest schools I have done so far.

Balance on balance can be frustrating, but if you keep some hyrdas and spectral blasts in your deck, it isn't too bad. Shield until you get 4 power pips (or 4 and at least 1 white pip if you don't want to risk having to wait a round), then hydra followed by blast. While it doesn't work every time, it works most times.

goldendragon18 wrote:
I was constantly spammed with Judgement which did more damage to me than it did to them with the same amount of pips and blades and traps. Even using my secondary school which is life was hard because in order to keep from dying I could not save enough pips to do any real damage to them.

In this situation, I recommend three things. First, train tower shield or use it in treasure card. Second, use helping hands before you get whittled down instead of healing cards. Its a lot of healing per pip and it benefits from power pips. Typically, two "hands" can be cast in the same number of pip slots that it would take to cast one satyr with more total healing albeit over three rounds. The over time action, however, gives you rounds to build and shield (using the recommended towers) while you prep that hydra-blast combo I mentioned before. Finally, look for gear at the bazaar and other Celestia stores that has high balance resist. I recall having very high balance resistance at level 54.

I hope this helps.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
I kind of agree with you on this i have a friend who is grandmaster balence in celestia and he isnt all that strong in attack or defence i think balance is made to power up attacks period end of story

Cody Titanheart-Master Thaumaturge