Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Should 'dating' be reported?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
More than rudeness, creative swearing, and cards for codes, someone is almost always saying 'be by boy friend' or 'i need a girl' or 'your hot', particularly in The Commons. I don't know about the general Wizard101 population, but this kind of bothers me, since I know much younger people who play this game. Should this be reported, or just ignored and left alone? I am especially looking for your advice, Lydia Greyrose.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
If they are getting much more personal than "I need a boy/girl" then I would report it. If that's pretty much all they say or do, then I would leave it be. I've reported people for asking personal questions like "where do you live" or "what is your real name", but general dating nonsense I tend to tolerate. I don't know that dating is one of those reportable offenses.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2010
If it starts to get worse then yes i sure would right then and there report them.. but if you get away then just stay away and ingnore them...

Explorer
Jul 15, 2009
I'm going to give you the best advice I have for you. Reporting is mainly used for people swearing and saying stuff that shouldn't be said or innaproppiate things. Dating on the other hand ... hmmm very good question. I think if it goes to far then you should report them, but if your saying when the wizards say be by girl friend or guy friend, then tell them that they shouldn't be doing that. Also if they swear at you for saying don't do that, then you can report them, but I would give them a warning first. But remember if it goes to far then report them. I hope that answers your question. :-)

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
This is not a reportable offense although it is very annoying.

The creative swearing is though however reportable.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2009
I one hundred percent agree with you. I have had people ask me numerous times, and it's sorta creepy.

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
Not much can be done. As far as the young ones they are the ones mostly doing it since the ones who have an account under their birthday are duck taped and ear plugged. The ones who are under their parents birth day are set free. Thats not to say all kids do (at least not me) but a lot do and some who are muted for age are probably pretty decent people who just want to play a decent game.
And srsly, what adult would care to do a dating thing on wizards when they got a ton of other ways to date.
As far as rude crude and socially unnacceptable behavor, um, you havent been in tenth grade lately right?

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
i think the 'i need a boy' or 'i need a girl' should be filtered out

i need a ...
if the words girl, boy, man, woman, guy, or , gal finishes the four word sentence .

to me it is one of the most immature things any play can do.

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Passively standing there with "I need ... whatever" should not be reported.

Bothering people, harassing them, should be.

And I don't think "filters" work. Darwin theory mandates that this type of communication MUST go on ... and it will ... however inappropriate. How are we going to "filter" "Jump three times if you want me ..." hats off to Tony Orlando and Dawn .... lol.

Filters should not be exected to take the place of good parenting. Parents HAVE the means to protect their children from seeing inapproriate material on this site. That should be the end of it.

Their needs to be way of stating I have asked to be left alone and I am still being bothered by this person that does NOT require exiting the game for a time consuming e-mail.

Do not filter conversation.

Filter offensive accounts.

It would also be a boon to everybody if people who want to "chat" for an extended period were given a place to go do so. A place where their activity has NO effect upon gameplay. I would strongly support a "cafe" in the commons area of EACH world SUPPORTING social activities. I only ask that entering that cafe REMOVES you from the game servers and lets you waste bandwidth in a place where performance does not count.

Well, game performance anyway .... lol.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2009
I think this should be outlawed. Sure, several times it's probably harmless, but there's always the off chance of some pervert using Wizard as a tool to meet underage people.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
We have had thousands of reports about dating and yes it should be reported as soon as you see it report that person and we will check if it is true or not if it is true we will start looking for that person on wizard101 if it is not true you will recieve a message back saying "False reports will not be tolerated and could cause your account a suspention" so we are asking for no more reports and we saw Anna OwlGem on camera reporting Wolf WatterHammer for nothing so she false reported that character so please stop false reporting.

Survivor
May 03, 2010
Dating should be reported because: 1: it is very annoying! and 2 because it might hurt that player
I believe you should report both if the one asked accepts it
this way the person asking cant ask again and the one that accepted cant accept again

Lucas GhostFlame level 60 necromancer
Richard LionHeart level 26 Conjurer

Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
Contrary to popular belief, Online Dating IS NOT A bad thing.
However, I see the point in people being upset about it in this game,
where as it seems to me that the majority of people doing that do this are indeed younger or very immature. The point is though, as aforementioned above. KI gives Parents the ability to filter what their kids can say and see, and to further the security of "perverts" trying to gain personal information from younger kids they place filters on the chat system. Anyone who tries to go around those restrictions should be Reported, common ways of spotting those errors are kids placing a "oh" or "o" between the words such as "That is my boy o friend" <- THAT should be reported. As well as people who cheat the filter by misspelling innocent words to substitute or make do for easily figured out harmful/hurtful words.
As of now KI has placed no rule on this issue, and I don't believe its that big of a problem. Besides, like I said before.. Online dating isn't bad, and no one should judge people who do it. Not everyone who plays Wizard 101, and has a online boyfriend/girlfriend met them on the game. I for one, am one of the people who has a online relationship and DID NOT meet them on the game.

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
I am REALLY annoyed with this behavior! It shouldn't be allowed on this GAMING site. I have a youger child who also plays on here and he shouldn't have to see that stuff.
It leads to other inappropriate behaviors. I just ran into 3 boys trying to jump on my character, saying they "rap ed me" . NOT OK! I'm disgusted and will be emailing the company about this.

I often go up to those players and remind them that this is a gaming site not a dating site, if you want to date maybe go outside and meet a "real" boy/girl.

Signed,
Discussed Parent

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
icbear wrote:
I just ran into 3 boys trying to jump on my character, saying they "rap ed me" . NOT OK! I'm disgusted and will be emailing the company about this.

I often go up to those players and remind them that this is a gaming site not a dating site, if you want to date maybe go outside and meet a "real" boy/girl.

Signed,
Discussed Parent

Hi Disgusted Parent,

The phrase "rap ed me" is a reportable offense, as it is lewd and threatening language. Did you report the offending wizards?

Iridian, wizarding mom

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
I am changing my mind on this subject based upon icbear's comment and ... what I just experienced.

Coming out of Nightside a male and female were in the tunnel discussing how hot and wet they were, probably due to the sun shining on the waterfall, and what kind of pets they could make ... I laughed to myself at their silly "toon" mating swoons etc. etc. but after reading icbear's post it occurred to me ...

what if my kids were watching me play ... they are in school, but it COULD easily have been a teacher work day or something and they could have been learning to play by watching over my shoulder ...

I would have handled it. No problem

But I would have resented the fact that I would have had to break off my game time to discuss this topic because two lonely people have discovered mouth-a-bation as an alternative life-style. LOL!!!! Go to your dorm room!!!!

It is far past time to put some "chaperones" in the game ... wandering around, undercover (no pun intended) - with the intent to get rid of these people who do not understand what a "family environment" is.

Toon love ... needs some tough love.

Especially in icbear's case.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
I was walking through floating land for reagents. Then chat bubbles started appearing from bushes. Come to find out, 2 people are having a conversation in a tunnel below. They weren't saying anything bad, just how glad they were that they didn't break-up and were apologizing etc. Now these 2 probably thought they found a private enough spot to chat - just because they didn't see others - but obviously, not the case.

I don't know how KI will be able to police people's dating habits. As it is, it is up to us to report people for "regular" abusive language and such. So while dating is not an offense, if people choose to "date chat" out in the open and is obscene, we can do 2 things. Go up to them and suggest whispering, or report them blindly. Since they are on the conversation box, you can click on them and whisper "Can you please continue your conversation by whispering? Kids are present."

As for the 3 boys that jumped icbear - that is horrible and unacceptable without question! It's creepy and they should be banned!

Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
icbear wrote:
I am REALLY annoyed with this behavior! It shouldn't be allowed on this GAMING site. I have a youger child who also plays on here and he shouldn't have to see that stuff.
It leads to other inappropriate behaviors. I just ran into 3 boys trying to jump on my character, saying they "rap ed me" . NOT OK! I'm disgusted and will be emailing the company about this.

Signed,
Discussed Parent

I am sorry but you emailing them about this is not going to get you anywhere, its your own liability if your kid sees that not theirs.
Sure its a Kid friendly gaming environment, but NOTHING is kid friendly anymore. Your kid could just as easily go to school and hear that. (And let me tell you, It is a MAJOR possibility he already has, don't give his age much thought, and if he is really young why are you even letting him on a multiplayer game in the first place?) Regardless of it being kid friendly or not, its also a online game. The key word being online. Internet opens more possibilities than you think to learn that, and also means he's bound to hear that eventually regardless. So please don't complain about something that cannot be prevented, we are all human and regardless of what people think EVERYONE breaks rules, and there will ALWAYS be loop holes.
So please reconsider and think of things before you act, the last thing KI needs right now is someone trying to pressure them into fixing the impossible

P.S. Do you honestly think them banning this will help? If anything it will cause more unrest because they would have to take away the words people use to cheat the filter, and that is A LOT of words. And taking those away will cause the majority of the players to get angry.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Some things should be reported. The Icbear incident should definitely have been reported. I might have stood around watched the waterfall incident to see if it were an innocent conversation, which I have done before, just to see the context. I have clicked on people and told them they should be careful what they say to others. One kid was giving her age, and I clicked on her and told her she should be more careful about that. Things that are truly disgusting and unacceptable in polite society should be reported. Things that predators can use to hurt a child, bullying, and language that you wouldn't want your two-year-old to repeat to your grandparents should be reported. Like I said before, simply standing around and saying "I need a boy/girl" is not one of those things.
And yes, we are all human and we all make mistakes, but there are no excuses for some behaviors. Just saying "we are all humans, we make mistakes" seems to take away from personal responsibility, and I find that to be unacceptable. We are all ultimately responsible for our actions.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
I think that dateing can be reported when its for a good reson i mean you dont just come up to a random guy/girl and say jump three times if you want to go out would you do it in the real world didnt think so just dont be stupped people you never know who your talking to