Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Really?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 24, 2010
Okay so I think it's a little ridiculous that people are asking others to give them crowns items, or crowns (which of course they don't know you can't gift crowns) I mean, I understand that their parents won't buy them crowns or a membership, but it is possible to get far with out crowns or a membership. I made it to level 17, then I finally decided to get a membership (smart huh?)
I hate how when people ask for crowns, and you say no, they go off yelling how they're not getting anywhere without them. KI, you need to come up with some type of way to get a good portion into the game, without being a member or using crowns. yes it took me almost a year to get to level 17, with much time fighting the Kraken and Harvest Lord. Now, this problem needs to be fixed, because i know a lot of people who quit because of this as they call "Ripoff Cheat Game". (i don't believe it is, but some things do need to be changed)

Administrator
Wizard101 has a free to play area that you're invited to enjoy for as long as you want, however every school has a tuition.

If players wish to explore beyond Triton Avenue, they will need to purchase time in the game with a Membership, or areas in the game with crowns.

Remember, young Wizards, you can EARN your own Crowns!
Go to https://www.wizard101.com/game?context=iaf .

Follow the instructions and you're well on your way to Earning Crowns that will allow you to purchase Premium areas of Wizard101.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
May 24, 2010
yes but then there is the problem where none of your friends or family want to play, like my family. they think this game is a waste of time, and everyone in my school believes that too. we still need another way to gain crowns, one that everyone can use, and is fast and simple. maybe instead of gold on the KI mini-games, maybe crowns? i think that would help a lot of players. and it would help convince people to continue playing because the game is not only fun, but is also now a little more fair. and for the mini-games idea, don't put like a thousand crowns, maybe like 10 or 20 crowns, so that way you won't lose money because people are only using the mini-game way. this really would help fair game play. please consider these ideas, and make a better way to get crowns for those who can't.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Wha?

You can unlock areas permanently with crowns?

So... in the end, would it not be cheaper to buy a bunch of crowns and unlock every area instead of buying a life-long membership?

That is weird. I never really knew about that. I'll have to do a big search on that.

Administrator
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Wha?

So... in the end, would it not be cheaper to buy a bunch of crowns and unlock every area instead of buying a life-long membership?

That is weird. I never really knew about that. I'll have to do a big search on that.

Which Buy Option is Right for Me?

Whether you purchase a Membership or use Crowns to pay by area, really depends on how you think you will play the game.

If you plan to push through as much of the content as possible in the shortest amount of time, then a month to month Membership is the best value for you.

If you plan to play several characters over a long period of time, then a 6month or 1year Membership is probably the best value for you.

If you only have a few hours a week to spare, or will hold off playing for long periods of time, then purchasing individual areas is the best value for your time. It allows you to purchase just the next street you need to progress, and once you've purchased an area, it's accessible to all your characters on that account. Purchasing individual areas lets you progress at your own pace without feeling like you have a Membership hanging over your head.
The prices for the individual areas can be found here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/areapricing

If you're not sure, then use the Free to Play portion of the game as your guide. See how fast you move through to the end of Triton Avenue, and gauge your passion and your available time accordingly.

About Crowns
Players can EARN Crowns!
Go to https://www.wizard101.com/game?context=iaf .
Follow the instructions and you're well on your way to Earning Crowns that will allow you to purchase Premium areas of Wizard101.

As for items requiring Crowns, items that do not shortcut the game (such as Henchmen, Elixirs etc) are available also for Gold and/or are found as drops of creatures in the Spiral. There are alternate ways of obtaining these types items that do not require paying with Crowns.

Exceptions do exist of course, including Stitching (putting the stats of one item onto the appearance of another), and Respec (turning in your secondary school cards for the Training Points back)

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
May 24, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Wha?

Well i guess you could get a membership, and if you find an area that really like buy it with crowns. but i think that still something has to be done about this crowns situation, because from my perspective, it looks like nothing is even being considered here. i understand that KI is extremely busy working on new game items, but i think this might be a good thing to consider trying to do when they're not so busy.

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
alexmm121233 wrote:
yes but then there is the problem where none of your friends or family want to play, like my family. they think this game is a waste of time, and everyone in my school believes that too. we still need another way to gain crowns, one that everyone can use, and is fast and simple. maybe instead of gold on the KI mini-games, maybe crowns? i think that would help a lot of players. and it would help convince people to continue playing because the game is not only fun, but is also now a little more fair. and for the mini-games idea, don't put like a thousand crowns, maybe like 10 or 20 crowns, so that way you won't lose money because people are only using the mini-game way. this really would help fair game play. please consider these ideas, and make a better way to get crowns for those who can't.

The only way that the game can continue to exist is through paying members. Crown-only items and/or areas are an incentive to encourage members to purchase subscriptions and crowns. Therefore, they will not put in an option in-game to get crowns for free, because they would lose a huge chunk of revenue.

An alternative suggestion would be that they start offering crowns for the completion of surveys/offers. Many games that I have played do this. The company you complete the survey/offer through pays King's Isle cash and pays you in crowns. However, this probably will not happen here, because so many of the members are too young (legally) to complete surveys/offers.

Survivor
May 24, 2010
someone has to do something about this. i like the idea for the crowns for those who voted, or someone who maybe did a competition, but you are right. there is the problem that younger players still will not be able to participate in those competitions or votes. KI again, you really need to look into this crowns problem, which is causing unfair game play. i also understand that crowns are not need to complete the game, but what if people don't want to spend money on memberships, where you can only go to an area for so long? i feel like no one is really listening to me, or others who may agree with me. for those people who don't have a membership, and can't post on the message boards, and don't have crowns, I'm finding a way to solve this problem. i don't care how many messages i have to post to fix this, i just need people out there to listen to me, and help solve this problem.

alexmm121233 wrote:
someone has to do something about this

We already have - we have given you a way to earn crowns. As Professor Greyrose stated, every school has a tuition - you can play for free for as long as you want however you are restricted to the Free to Play areas of Wizard City. If you wish to progress beyond Triton avenue, you must purchase time in the game with a membership/subscription or areas in the game with Crowns.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Explorer
Jun 19, 2009
Sigh... I Guess everything has a price to it. Nothing in life is free. ( I wish it were so I could get Mega Snack Packs to train my pets and henchman for questing my other 5 characters. ) But not everyone has a big heart and would forget about being greedy. :?

Travis Smith
Legendary Pyro
PvP Captain
Pet Derby Sergeant

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
MILANUP1 wrote:
Sigh... I Guess everything has a price to it. Nothing in life is free. ( I wish it were so I could get Mega Snack Packs to train my pets and henchman for questing my other 5 characters. ) But not everyone has a big heart and would forget about being greedy. :?

Travis Smith
Legendary Pyro
PvP Captain
Pet Derby Sergeant

It's not greedy or a lack of generosity to refuse to give a stranger a very expensive Mega Snack Pack. They cost 2500 crowns which is equivalent to $5.00 or more. If you want the snack pack badly enough, you'll find a way to earn some money/crowns to buy one.

Survivor
May 24, 2010
eh you know what forget it. no one is really listening to what I'm trying to say here.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I don't know why anyone would cry boo hoo and say it's impossible to get crowns. First, you might ask a parent or other relative for a Wizard 101 gift card for your next birthday. Even if they say "no," you still have options.

If you're an adult or teen with a job ... you have money and you can choose to buy crowns using a gift card, credit card, or a subscription.

If you're a kid or younger teen, then may I suggest you get off the computer for a while and do some extra chores. All you have to do is wash the dishes, do some laundry, wash the car, mow the lawn, babysit, or something else along those lines. Take your pay or your allowance and save it until you have $25. Even at only $5 per week, you will have enough in just over a month.

Then, you take your cash and go buy a Wizard 101 gift card from Walgreens, Game Stop, or any of the other several stores that sells them. Voila! You will have crowns. You don't need your parents to buy anything. You don't need a credit card. All you need is someone to take you to the store. (PS: Game Stops are located in many shopping malls, a common place for teens to hang out.)

All that is needed, is a willingness to do some real work, delay that gratification for a while, and save up money for what you want. That's how the real world works, after all.....