Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Higher rank gardening spells - not worth it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 20, 2010
Sure you need the bug spells and the soil spells of all ranks, but the other "growing" spells just don't seem worth it due to their too small area of effect or too high energy cost.

I bought all the "double growth" spells for rain, magic, sun, music, etc. in Krok - but the area of effect is so small it's rare you can cover even 3 plants at once with the spell. Yet the energy cost is 8 points. So at least 3 plants must have the same need and be sitting right next to each other or you'll spend more energy tending plants using this supposedly "better" spell! I don't get it.

The higher area spells from MooShu show they cost 15 energy points each! I have not bought any of these, as even with a huge area of effect the spell would have to cover at least 5 plants to be worth the extra energy!

This just doesn't seem right. Yes, I understand buyer beware, but isn't the point of leveling up to get more and better spells that help you be a stronger gardener? Why bother to get the higher rank spells if they use up MORE energy per plant than the lower ranks spells and actually make you LESS able to garden?

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
My first gardener bought all the spells, never used the 15 energy ones. Did get used to using the 8 pointer though.

My second and third gardeners bought the first two levels, but as I was trying to stay within energy limits I had smaller gardens, and only really used the first level spells.

My fourth bought just the level one, did fine all the way to GM.

As you point out, they over limited the areas, and the best I could do was line up pots, but outside, the plot positions made things less than impressive.

Defender
Dec 01, 2010
I am not sure what you guys are talking about.

I've always had a larger garden. The spells for 8 energy is great. I always get around 9 plants in it. if I were to do it 1 by 1 it would cost 3 energy each, YIKES! the 15 energy spells are really awesome also, I am able to get about 30 plants in one cast. if you have same types of plants they will have the same needs, example if you have 30 dandelions then they will need pollination and water. thats it, other than the pest control. thats is only about 30-45 energy for 30 plants daily which is about 1 energy per plant.

I hope this helps!

Survivor
Feb 20, 2010
danton1983 wrote:
I am not sure what you guys are talking about.

I've always had a larger garden. The spells for 8 energy is great. I always get around 9 plants in it. if I were to do it 1 by 1 it would cost 3 energy each, YIKES! the 15 energy spells are really awesome also, I am able to get about 30 plants in one cast. if you have same types of plants they will have the same needs, example if you have 30 dandelions then they will need pollination and water. thats it, other than the pest control. thats is only about 30-45 energy for 30 plants daily which is about 1 energy per plant.

I hope this helps!

I have had to cap the size of my garden at about 12 plants because even with 65 energy, I can't reliably take care of more than that. I have about 6 plants on medium plots, 2 or 3 large plots, and 4 or 5 small plots, all mixed in together so it looks nice. I never have more than 2 plants of the same kind at a time, because that's just boring. There is only one spot in my garden right now where I can get 4 plants inside the cast radius of the 8 point spell, and only 3 of the plants in that area ever seem to have the same need. I use an 8 point spell maybe once every two or three days tops. Are you using pots or stacking them or something? I just don't see how it's possible you can fit any more than a few tiny plots under one spell.

They need to make the radius of these spells much bigger if they want us to try to spend time and gold getting the spells. The radius should be about half the size of the typical bug killer spells. Then you could cover 6 or 7 plants every time, so maybe three or so plants with the same need would be covered reliably and the spell would be worth it.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
I'm a granmaster Gardener with 70 energy, and the problem i'm running into is I don't have enough energy to take care of all my plants. I love big gardens but with 2 plants with lvl 4 or 5 pests and they are at opposite ends of the garden there goes 3/4 of my energy. Now i have to water, sun, or do any of the other regular items to maintain it, there goes all my energy. Now i sit back and wait for a refill and hope nothing dies in the mean time. I have a idea that might help us gardeners. Come out with a gardening outfit (something like the beast-master outfit for pets) so that we can increase out energy by 10 to 15% or even 20% that would be very nice. This will help us maintain our gardens with out worrying if the plants will die because our crowns and energy has run out.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Lay out seven small or middle sized pots, one in the center, six around, sort of like the side of a soccer ball, and pack them in tightly. Do not use plots, you can't get them close enough together. Put the same plant in each. I suggest Honey Sickles for medium or Pink Dandelions for small. Because so far there are no large pots, you cannot use seeds that require large plots. The spells that use "8" energy will work on all seven plants, in pots packed in tightly, if you target the center plant. But don't cast it just when one plant has a need, try to wait until most or all need it.

Yes its boring, but it works.

If you want to try a new plant, plant ONLY one to see if its hassles are worth its benefits TO YOU. For instance, I came across a plant that had Rank 5 pests. No thank you.

Spoiler information exists on other websites.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
With gardening, you have two options:

1) Have a "pretty" garden thats in rows with plants intermingled or plants spread out around your house instead of all right together. This will pretty much force you to keep your garden small and you will have to use level 1 spells for most of it since you won't have 3 or more plants in the same area that need the same thing at the same time.

2) Have an efficient garden that is in a cirular pattern with either all the same or similar plants so they will need the same things at around the same time.

I currently have three different gardening areas in use. All using plots not pots. One has 5 Pink Dandelions, one has 5 Laugh-O-Dils and the last has 1 King Parsley and 6 White Laugh-O-Dils. I am able to take care of all three areas using the level 2 spells.

If you decide to go with pretty gardening, you will need to stick with only a few low level plants (especially if you spread them around your house) so you don't have to cast costly rank 3-5 pest spells and so you can continue casting rank 1 spells to keep the plants alive.

KI will probably not change the cost or the AOE of garening spells just so people who want to have pretty gardens can have large pretty gardens. If they did change the cost, those of us who have efficient gardens would get such huge benefits that it would unbalance the game.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2010
I don't seem to have any trouble. I plant small plots 2 rows of 3. In one I have Pink Dandelions. In another I have Yellow Dandelions. In the last I have Pink and Yellow Dandelions and Fickle Pickle. I am able to use a level 2 spell to cover each section of 6 plants. I currently have 20 plants if you count the Stinkweed on the other side of my castle. Planning the plots is the hardest part. If you want to grow different plants just do 2 or 3 plots each with a different type, then rotate them out as they mature. If you put the plots close enough together and keep the same type. You shouldn't have any problems.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
vimrich wrote:
Sure you need the bug spells and the soil spells of all ranks, but the other "growing" spells just don't seem worth it due to their too small area of effect or too high energy cost.

I bought all the "double growth" spells for rain, magic, sun, music, etc. in Krok - but the area of effect is so small it's rare you can cover even 3 plants at once with the spell. Yet the energy cost is 8 points. So at least 3 plants must have the same need and be sitting right next to each other or you'll spend more energy tending plants using this supposedly "better" spell! I don't get it.

The higher area spells from MooShu show they cost 15 energy points each! I have not bought any of these, as even with a huge area of effect the spell would have to cover at least 5 plants to be worth the extra energy!

This just doesn't seem right. Yes, I understand buyer beware, but isn't the point of leveling up to get more and better spells that help you be a stronger gardener? Why bother to get the higher rank spells if they use up MORE energy per plant than the lower ranks spells and actually make you LESS able to garden?
You sound like the type of person that spreads thier plants to far apart. :? Here are tips, 1. Keep your plants close together. (Unless some plants dont like others.) 2. Use a growing spell that costs 8 energy ONLY if you can get atleast 3-9 plants that need it into the circle. (depending on how far apart your plants are.) 3. Use a growing spell that costs 15 energy ONLY if you can get atleast 11-18 plants that need it in the circle (again, depending on how far apart your plants are.) 4. If you want a big garden, be shure you can get a lot of crowns every few months.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
I think each rank we should get increase of energy refill. Because the 4-5 lvl pests drain a lot of it. In addition, some plants have 4 needs at the same time like fickle pickle.