Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical hits should be banned from pvp!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I think that these "critical hits" are cheating and need banned from pvp. I for one, miss the way pvp USED to be! Critical blocks are WAY underpowered!

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
Totally agree that Critical needs to be removed from PvP, but not that it's "cheating". With the opening of Celestia came more powerful spells, including Critical, new gear that gives Critical as well as Critical block - sadly this block does not often activate by what I've seen in PvP. There have always been PvP issues that KI has addressed such as:
- overuse of bolt and lower level players using higher level spells, KI removed trading of cards to stop this problem
- teams using chain stun as a sole way of winning, KI has attempted to address this with stun blocks, sadly some teams have still found a way around this
- lower levels utilizing Polymorphs to gain more powerful spells and the possibility of Critical - KI removed these from the bazaar and the Polymorph cards can no longer be traded (lower level wizards have found a way around this by teaming with a high level wiz)
Where I believe the Critical is a huge problem is in teams that pair with a low level wizard, I refer to them as "puppets" (the ones to break shields and give blades to the higher level), and a high level wizard that has the Celestia spells and gear to hit Critical. Often the high level wizard has a lower rank, or has ranked down to "help" their lower level friend get rank and gear. This team combo is often then paired with a team of say, adepts or magus - these teams are not able to compete against the Celestia spells, and certainly not the critical hit - even if they used the point to train with Diego against the Critical, often the card does not come up, or if so, the Critical is not always blocked.
How can this be fixed? I believe that ranked PvP needs to be set up much like practice PvP is - by levels. If you team, your team is within the same level as you are, and you will face a team within your level (adepts, magus, master, etc.) I understand that a PvP match also is based on rank, but would it not be more fair to pair say 2 adept (or magus, or master, etc), even if 1 is higher rank, than an adept vs a Grandmaster or Legendary? If PvP were to be set up this way, then the 55 - 60 bracket can keep their Criticals if KI deems to have them remian in PvP.
There are numerous posts on the current PvP issues, here and on Central, so I'm confident KI will take a look at the problems in the arena and address these issues just as they have in the past.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Um, lets see, you do realize that there is a critical block spell!!!!!!! braveline, do some research before ya post.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
bravevline wrote:
I think that these "critical hits" are cheating and need banned from pvp. I for one, miss the way pvp USED to be! Critical blocks are WAY underpowered!
Why? I barely never get any criticals, but always get blocked.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Um, lets see, you do realize that there is a critical block spell!!!!!!! braveline, do some research before ya post.
I did plenty of research, the thing is that they might train vengeance and you can only get so much block for all schools at once when they can get over 100 critical rating for their school. You don't know which school they will be, but they do (at least I hope they do or the may need a mental check) and with their clothes and vengeance they can go right through conviction. Believe me! It has happened to me!

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
bravevline wrote:
I did plenty of research, the thing is that they might train vengeance and you can only get so much block for all schools at once when they can get over 100 critical rating for their school. You don't know which school they will be, but they do (at least I hope they do or the may need a mental check) and with their clothes and vengeance they can go right through conviction. Believe me! It has happened to me!

I agree that critical should be taking out of arena. The fact that you get hit with it means game over for you. The block doesnt always help you, you still get alot of damage done.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
bravevline wrote:

yea and whats so bad about that. the only thing that really annoys me is that the one who goes first has an advantage. in real war, it doesnt matter, but hear, you dont control who goes first. I say the person who goes second should get an extra pip. Now the critical is fine. maybe YOU should get a bigger critical chance

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
Hey man whats your problem? Why dont you get your rating up and you should critical. You will see there is NOTHING wrong with critical.

Andrew-Legendary Life, PvP walord

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
I don't have a problem with critical, however that being said, I do think critical block should apply to the person healing themselves with critical healing gear. I also think they need to make new arena gear with high amount of critical block say 70 and make it even with critical attack. This would trim out the one hit wonders (150 critical players) and gear would have resist which pvp seriously lacks right now.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
travisAk wrote:
I don't have a problem with critical, however that being said, I do think critical block should apply to the person healing themselves with critical healing gear. I also think they need to make new arena gear with high amount of critical block say 70 and make it even with critical attack. This would trim out the one hit wonders (150 critical players) and gear would have resist which pvp seriously lacks right now.

Some of you people are so funny! Ok, think of it like this. Critical block is a hit that you got lucky and got your shield in way, otherwise, it would have certainly been fatal. So, think of critical block as a shield in a fight. Now, if you are going to heal yourself, would you put the shield up? LOL you probably would, since you stated what you did in your post. But hey, not all light bulbs shine brightly!

As Far as Banning Critical Hits from PvP, I think the critical aspect is a great idea, but if you are ever going to have characters of a low level face characters of a higher level, you should give lower characters some chance at critical hit/block, instead of making them become gm or legendary first.

Survivor
May 24, 2010
i think it adds to much luck into the game, plus now I'm a lvl 41 going up against 58 - 60 with critical and I can not train or have the gear to block this. Yes I can lvl up, however I liked PVP at the lower lvls when it is more like a chess match trying to plan your players next move. Now with Critical it is so random and to much up for chance. I hear people all the time, "If I had critical hit you would have been dead." To me that is not skill just hopping for a critical hit (that is random) to hit. Needs to be removed from PVP.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
bravevline wrote:
yes but you can get critical blok clothes -.- thats why I always get critical block and mostly critical

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
briebrie11502 wrote:
i think it adds to much luck into the game, plus now I'm a lvl 41 going up against 58 - 60 with critical and I can not train or have the gear to block this. Yes I can lvl up, however I liked PVP at the lower lvls when it is more like a chess match trying to plan your players next move. Now with Critical it is so random and to much up for chance. I hear people all the time, "If I had critical hit you would have been dead." To me that is not skill just hopping for a critical hit (that is random) to hit. Needs to be removed from PVP.
it doesnt need to you can train conviction and stuff that will make it better then you almost always block it (except if it is the 3 round type of spell almost never block it)

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Some of you people are so funny! Ok, think of it like this. Critical block is a hit that you got lucky and got your shield in way, otherwise, it would have certainly been fatal. So, think of critical block as a shield in a fight. Now, if you are going to heal yourself, would you put the shield up? LOL you probably would, since you stated what you did in your post. But hey, not all light bulbs shine brightly!

As Far as Banning Critical Hits from PvP, I think the critical aspect is a great idea, but if you are ever going to have characters of a low level face characters of a higher level, you should give lower characters some chance at critical hit/block, instead of making them become gm or legendary first.
lol! are you running out of cheese? xD

Survivor
May 21, 2010
Hey Kingsisle you know why i play this game because of pvp and critical rating has ruined it. i had a storm warlord over 3,000 rank i was good in pvp. now i have an ice level 58 which has a weak level 58 spell compared to the other schools the resist i get from the "best ice gear" is like if i was wearing nothing and to top it off critical rating doubles spells which can kill any wizard in one or two hits ice in pvp takes it slow building up blades shielding healing and with critical rating and new level 48 spells thats no longer possible now its all a kill fast game and at that game ice will never win we dont have any strong spells for it. so am not saying take away critical rating how about it hits half of what it does now so if a spell hits 2,000 with critical it hits 3,000 still big but better compared to 4,000

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
I do agree that Critical has ruined the game especially PVP, which I spend most of my time in.

I know that KI will not remove it from the game, unfortunately.

It used to be where a well planned team in pvp can dominate. I guess KI has figured out a way to penalize the people who actually used strategy to win, and now, have the "hit and hope" crowd pray for Critical to win. Sad that this is what PVP had boiled down to.

If I wanted luck and chance I would play the Lottery a whole lot more.

If KI is to keep Critical in PVP, reduce it to 30-35% boost not 100%. I know they say it is for the questers, bu most of the bosses block Critical hits anyways, so why is it there in the first place?

I heard that they made Critical so that PVP battles would be shorter. UM, I have not heard too many complaints battles being too long, and if a players feels so, there is that little tab called "FLEE" that they can option to.

Come on KI. What were you guys thinking?

A lot of my Warlord Grandmaster friends have gotten fed up with it and now made a bunch of adept and magus characters where the battles are still relatively pure.

*** And for those people who face the low level, legendary combos ...... Just take out the low level fast and the legendary is toast. I have done this many times with my Magus team and the Legendary end up FLEEING most times out of frustration. ***

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
1BLUE1 wrote:
Hey Kingsisle you know why i play this game because of pvp and critical rating has ruined it. i had a storm warlord over 3,000 rank i was good in pvp. now i have an ice level 58 which has a weak level 58 spell compared to the other schools the resist i get from the "best ice gear" is like if i was wearing nothing and to top it off critical rating doubles spells which can kill any wizard in one or two hits ice in pvp takes it slow building up blades shielding healing and with critical rating and new level 48 spells thats no longer possible now its all a kill fast game and at that game ice will never win we dont have any strong spells for it. so am not saying take away critical rating how about it hits half of what it does now so if a spell hits 2,000 with critical it hits 3,000 still big but better compared to 4,000

The best ice gear has nearly 40% resist to all schools, you call that like wearing nothing?

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
The critical block/block stun spell is great for blocking stuns. But even with it adding to my critical resistance it fails more than effectively blocking the critical strike.

I actually like the new wild bolt I hit with it way more than I did with the old way (1000 damage). Im wondering about the how people that complained about wildbolt in the past view the critical strikes. In essence everyone has potential to cause heavy damage now with 1-2 pip spells. I saw a scorpion do 1100 damage.

Bottom line if you get hit by a critical (other than wand) your probably goingto lose the match if not outright. The positive aspect I guess is having this element has shortened what could have been overly long matches. I have mixed feelings about with its an improvement or not.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
I have to pose the question to KI: Is there a bug with the spell conviction?

I blocks stuns just fine, but isnt it supposed to have a 90% resist to critical hits? I can understand bad luck and have it even a majority of the time. But it never blocks the critical hit. Not once for me. You may want to have a second look at your coding on that something is wrong.

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
bravevline wrote:

First off, critical is not cheating. So you need to retract that statement. Furthermore, it does not need to be removed from PVP. No one is guaranteed a critical hit or block, it is a random occurrance. Incidentally, those of us who have mastered the art of crafting can craft gears that gives a higer critical and block rating, thereby increasing our chance of scoring a critical. Also those who do not craft can purchase gear with the same critical hit and block but at the cost of hugh amounts of health.

critical is not the problem of PVP. I don't need critical to defeat my opponent and moreover, if you are not at a level where you can access critical then you still would not win against someone who is of that high level unless they have poor dueling skills.

The problem is not critical, in this case, it is obviously the match-up system. It would be good sometimes, if we just stop to think about an issue before we jump and post about banning this and that.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I agree that critical has ruined pvp in a way. Now, you cant say to me that I am saying this because I lose to critical, but that I have done critical only strategies, in the end, it never feels like a "fair" fight. I don't think it should completely be removed though, or weakened. I have two suggestions.

1. Remove the spell vengeance.
When people have the best non-crafted critical gear, its around 20-30% chance of hitting it. I don't find this as a big deal but when you add a zero pips spell that boosts your critical by 20% for four rounds, critical becomes more of a coin flip then a lucky shot. Vengeance has turned pvp into a game of who can attack first. To keep up with this, I will sometimes play with a critical based strategy, but in the end I don't feel the game was fair. Maybe removing the spell is too much, maybe change it to plus 50 critical rating (10% chance.)

2. A way too power up block ratings.
How about when someone hits critical their chance of hitting critical is added to your block chance. Normal black chances are around 6%, so if a balance wizard with vengeance hit critical on you, your chance of blocking it would be a 52% chance. But now if someone with a 30 critical rating without vengeance hit critical on you, you would only have a 12% chance to block it.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Oh plz! what a bunch of whiners. Critical is fun in pvp and Ifor one like it there. Yes it is the luck of the draw with the critical hit and block, but it makes the pvp so much more fun and interesting. Before the storms ruled the arena, now it is anyones game and I LIKE the change. Has my wiz ever won with a critical, no; has my wiz ever lost from a critical hit, yes; has my wiz ever blocked a critical, yes, the point is yes there is some luck to it, but there was always luck in the pvp game. Some like to say, Oh pvp used to be all skill and blah blah blah, really? Yes, some skill is required to play; you do need to be able to train points properly and you do need to know how those cards will work, but if you go first that is luck and if your cards come up perfect, that is luck, and if your cards come up stinking that is luck too. So as far as I see it, some skill is involved, but it is not what people like to imagine themselves as, it is not brain surgery people, and lots of wins even without the critical are based on pure luck of the draw, not just skill.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
bravevline wrote:

I agree. Criticals should not be in PVP. As an example, my Storm did great in 1v1 pvp till i hit the grandmaster lvl. Next thing I know, I am taking on Legendarys with their criticals. I dropped from a Captain to a much lesser rank in no time flat. Then i have to fight my way back up to Knight. The only factor that changed was the criticals. Nothing else. The way PVP used to be was more fair and much more fun.

I mean, someone goes critical on a firecat and does 1000 damage? I have seen people be killed by it, believe it or not. I got wiped out by a Storm bat doing between 500 - 1000 damage. Its just ridiculous.

KI, dont let a person lvl be held against them in pvp. Criticals for none.
- Lucas Silvershard, PVP Warlord, Legendary Pyromancer

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
Same i hate critical hits! There so unfair man i got 1 hit K.Oed by a dumb firecat! I 'm even a fire wizard my defense on fire is huge and i get knocked out! Its way too unfair after the battle they even brag about it I just hate that! I used to always win before Celestia came out with all the critical gear! I overpowered others way stronger than me but now I cant because of criticals it needs to be banned or more and more people will stop doing pvp!

Aaron Drakewalker Level 31 Fire wizard Secondary class:Balance

My goal is to become one of the strongest pyromancers in the spiral.

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
What else are you going to complain about? Maybe your done. Oops nevermind, your back at it. Critical was focused toward Celestia, now PvP. What I can't stop telling everyone is getting worked up about losing is fine, (I do it sometimes too) but don't go to the forums and say, "BAN HEALING"!
"BAN CRITICAL"! It is so annoying. If you can't win a match, don't play. Simple.