Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stuck Choosing a Secondary School!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 23, 2008
I just started a new Wizard. He's Balance, and level 15 in Krokotopia. I just want to know what spells I should train to go well with Balance's gameplay. I have 4 Training Points saved up, but I don't know what to save them on! I would like to know (preferably from Balance Wizards themslves) what I should use my Training Points on. Please help!

Thanks! :-D
Kyle ShadowStaff
Grandmaster Necromancer
Devin SpiritRider
Magus Theurgist
Kyle SandStaff
Journeyman Sorcerer

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
Alrighty, here we go. Here's how my Sorcerer spread out his Train Points. This is going to take a while, as you will need to hit lv 60 AND complete ALL Zeke quests, AND ALL other quests that offer Train Point rewards. But, it's well worth it in the end!
Death up to Feint (7 Tp's) Do this first!
Ice up to Tower Shield (5 Tp's) Do this second!
Life up to Satyr (7 Tp's) Do this third!
You'll need to be at least lv50 and have access to Celestia for these:
Sun damage spells to Gargantuan (4 Tp's)
Star spell Amplify (1 Tp)
Buy the Sun and Star cards last. The reason I put Death first is because Feint is super helpful for boosting those Judgements and Spectral Blasts. Ice's Tower Shield is great; I always keep max copies in all my decks, and along the way, you get a 70% Fire-Storm double shield. I put Satyr last because I often didn't need the massive heal it gives until the tough Celestia bosses, and anyways, Helping Hands is good enough until you get Satyr. The Celestia Astral spells I included so I could give my Spectral Blasts and Judgements that extra kick. A +225 base damage from Gargantuan and the +15% damage boost from Amplify really helps against the bosses. Also, go to the Krokopia Amulet shop and buy a "Greebly's Gemstone." At least I think it's there. It gives 3 85% Ice shields, something that is real handy in Celestia. Also, another Amulet I keep on me is "Troll Ear Pendant." You can buy it in Marleybone Amulet Shop, and it gives 2 Guiding Light spells: +40% to next heal.

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
I have to disagree with the previous poster. Learning life up to satyr is a complete waste of training points now that you can learn Treant. I would also be a bit iffy with spending the training points to learn feint as well. Balance has the unique advantage of not having many enemies that resist their school of magic. So while other schools have to use prisms or stack up the damage to get around resistance, balance doesn't have that problem unless they face balance.

You can also find a necklace with feint (a better version even - 'Jewel of the Feint') and that's all you really need when facing a boss. If you want a second school for hit spells (which I didn't on my balance), then I would recommend Myth. For 6 TP (less than either life or death) you will learn a hit all spell - Humongofrog. For 8 TP you can learn all the way up to earthquake, also a very handy spell to have. You also have the side benefit that balance foes never use the spirit shields, only elemental.

I would definitely recommend that you learn a lot of the new spells in CL once you get there -

Sun school (4 training points) - damage boost up to Gargantuan
Moon school (1 training point) - Treant
Star school (2 training points) - Amplify (+15% to damage) and the shield spell

You might also consider learning one of the damage school morphs from the moon school. That to me would be far more beneficial than wasting the training points to learn feint. You might even decide not to learn myth (which I didn't, as I said above), but wait and learn several of the Moon school morphs. Balance does quite well just using the spells from it's own school.

The last spell I would strongly encourage you to learn requires that you PvP a bit. You can learn a sun spell from Diego the duel master outside of the arena. This spell is active for four rounds and blocks 90% critical attack and 90% stun. It requires that you have a certain PvP rank in order to learn it however. I started PvP around level 26 on my balance wizard I believe. I just played enough matches to get the rank required to learn the spell. It comes in VERY handy in Celestia. I recommend all wizards learn it.

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
I disagree with Gelwyn and mostly agree with OzzyRocker.

I didn't learn any secondary schools with my Balance until CL. In CL I found A LOT of balance bosses so had to learn morph to Storm Cat in order to battle them. I also learned the enchant spells to boost Judgement as OzzyRocker said.

With so many training points left, I went back and learned Feint and in hindsight would have learned Feint along the way. It REALLY boosts Judgement. The game was easy enough with Balance but with Feint along the way would have gone all that much faster.

Not sure Tower sheild is all that necessary given Balance's existing shields. One annoying Fire Elf and there goes your tower shield. Also, I now don't recommend training to Satyr but only Sprite. At the higher levels, no way I want to waste 4 power pips on Satyr.

And Gelwyn, not sure which Balance's enemies you have been up against but while they more often cast elemental shields they definitely cast spirit shields, especially as they advance (e.g., DS and CL).

And Myth as a secondary? Definitely wouldn't recommend that. Earthquake is weak and takes off all your hard placed traps. Humongo frog is weak too and can be had with an amulet.

Anyway Kyle, Balance is a fun school. Enjoy!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have a legendary balance.

I trained in Death to feint. The extra boost helped with attacks. I then trained in Ice to get Tower Shield. This also gave me access to the storm/fire shield. I only took Life to sprite, mainly because on my other wizards i seldom used Satyr due to the fact it takes 4 pips and sprite is much easier to cast when you are not life and balance does get helping hands.

Upon the release of Celestia I trained in Sun for the boosts. A gargantuan on a hydra or spectral blast works great. Even now, I still have training points left.

Hannah Lifebringer level 60 Life
Hannah Earthbreaker Level 60 Balance

Survivor
Sep 23, 2008
Thanks guys for the posts! I don't think I'll get Satyr, but definitely Sprite. Feint I think may give a good boost, but a little iffy on the Tower Shield. I think I mainly will use Balance spells for attacking, and not choose Myth as my secondary School. And definitely train to Treant Polymorph, Amplify, and Gargantuan. Thank you all for posting, it really helped me out! :-D

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
Yes, the higher level bosses do occasionally cast the spirit shields as well. Still, not nearly as often as the elemental shields. I did point out that I really did not recommend training in Myth, but if the person really wanted a second school for attacks that was the spirit school I would lean towards.

As balance can easily reshuffle whenever needed (only 2 power pips), I felt the one feint I got from the necklace was more than sufficient for my needs. You can also garden and get feint as a TC drop. I guess it depends on your play style really. I have three wizards that are legendary status now and never feel the need to use feint with any of them - with the exception of my death wizard.

The reason I said that only one was necessary, because the only time it's really useful is for use against a boss. Generally, you're hitting more than one target and it's more economical to blade, enhance with gargantuan, and fire away. Especially considering by the time you get to Celestia, most people with good gear have a very slim chance of getting white pips. So you're wasting a power pip to cast feint. Multiple targets and you've lost a lot of power pips.

Feint is just not a good reason to spend 7 training points on in my humble opinion.

One good reason to train for the tower shield is it's the only shield against balance. While you will have resistance from your gear, it can still be tough fighting 2 or more balance mob and not have any shields against them. Unbalance is just not effective in that particular situation. Also, it's easier to keep a short deck with tower shield, as that is the only shield you need. You also don't have to change your deck for every battle if you only have the tower shield in, unlike using school specific shields.

Again, it really depends on how you like to battle. Personally, I like to keep a short deck that is effective in any battle.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2008
Gelwyn wrote:
Yes, the higher level bosses do occasionally cast the spirit shields as well. Still, not nearly as often as the elemental shields. I did point out that I really did not recommend training in Myth, but if the person really wanted a second school for attacks that was the spirit school I would lean towards.

As balance can easily reshuffle whenever needed (only 2 power pips), I felt the one feint I got from the necklace was more than sufficient for my needs. You can also garden and get feint as a TC drop. I guess it depends on your play style really. I have three wizards that are legendary status now and never feel the need to use feint with any of them - with the exception of my death wizard.

The reason I said that only one was necessary, because the only time it's really useful is for use against a boss. Generally, you're hitting more than one target and it's more economical to blade, enhance with gargantuan, and fire away. Especially considering by the time you get to Celestia, most people with good gear have a very slim chance of getting white pips. So you're wasting a power pip to cast feint. Multiple targets and you've lost a lot of power pips.

Feint is just not a good reason to spend 7 training points on in my humble opinion.

One good reason to train for the tower shield is it's the only shield against balance. While you will have resistance from your gear, it can still be tough fighting 2 or more balance mob and not have any shields against them. Unbalance is just not effective in that particular situation. Also, it's easier to keep a short deck with tower shield, as that is the only shield you need. You also don't have to change your deck for every battle if you only have the tower shield in, unlike using school specific shields.

Again, it really depends on how you like to battle. Personally, I like to keep a short deck that is effective in any battle.

Okay, you have a REALLY good point about Feint, and I don't think I'll train it. Tower Shield is most likely going to be trained, though. :-D Thanks so much for the post, it really helped me out a lot!

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
What I did for my Legendary Balance Wizard is take a friend's advice, anf it was similar to what someone else posted. Here's what I did:

1. Ice through tower (the protection comes in handy, trust me)
2. Death through feint (the extra power from feint is great)
3. then I trained in the Sun School spells in Celestia (except the bullseye spell, don't need it)
4. then got the Strong spells (Sun school? I can't remember, sorry) through Gargantuan
5. Then went back and trained with that little side trainer in Colossus Blvd with the free spell for Balance.
I still have two training points left (would have been three but I accidentally trained something I didn't really need) and I'm going to be very choosy if I get anything else.

Now, when you make your deck, focus on Balance spells, making sure you put in Vengeance. Of course, you won't typically get the Celestia spells until you're at Grandmaster and beyond, but you can still plan for it.
Good luck! Hope this helps.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2008
IvoryJade wrote:
What I did for my Legendary Balance Wizard is take a friend's advice, anf it was similar to what someone else posted. Here's what I did:

1. Ice through tower (the protection comes in handy, trust me)
2. Death through feint (the extra power from feint is great)
3. then I trained in the Sun School spells in Celestia (except the bullseye spell, don't need it)
4. then got the Strong spells (Sun school? I can't remember, sorry) through Gargantuan
5. Then went back and trained with that little side trainer in Colossus Blvd with the free spell for Balance.
I still have two training points left (would have been three but I accidentally trained something I didn't really need) and I'm going to be very choosy if I get anything else.

Now, when you make your deck, focus on Balance spells, making sure you put in Vengeance. Of course, you won't typically get the Celestia spells until you're at Grandmaster and beyond, but you can still plan for it.
Good luck! Hope this helps.

I already trained Tower Shield, and it DOES come in handy! :-D I don't have any training points right now, as I spent them all on training it. I think I may train Life to Sprite, as I am still not sure about feint... The Sun spells are a definite though! :-D Thanks!