Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard 101 for adults

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I have been gaming a long time, both on computer and role-playing real life.
At first, it was hard just to enjoy a game on a computer (the size of the game on the early Apples was...small). At about the same time, D&D launched, and a few years after people started to play games on the net...not that there was much of a net, this was just about the start of AOL and other companies, and you had to FTP into a computer (no Explorer or clones, email was primitive) to play MUDs and MUSHes (text based games with people over the globe). Eventually this gave rise to the initial primitive on-line RPG games which later grew into the mass games we have today.

The early games had role-playing, but it was also social, and people across the globe became friends. We are now protected, we can't socialize, and I can understand why, too many 'bad people' cruising the net....

But this idea, a verified world of 'mature' individuals, would allow us a place to have fun, relax, gossip and such. Our gaming needs are different...we don't need to show who is the biggest and toughest in PvP, we all have jobs, and we know that no game can be as hostile as the real world in a recession. But to come here, relax, take out agression as needed (watch out M.D.), and relax with friends would be nice.

Just my two cents worth (unless you are in Calif, where Arnold and his taxes has taken half of that in taxes )

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
KingsIsle Entertainment has developed Wizard101 to be an exciting and fun online experience for people of all ages. An important part of that is providing a safe environment for our young players, and that’s a responsibility we take seriously. To that end, we’ve implemented features specifically designed for player safety.

While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We appreciate your ongoing feedback and ideas.

Sadly, for me, the strict censorship of the chat system has only served to transform an online experience that should be filled with friends and socialization into a world of isolation and solitude. MMO's are fundamentally a social experience. However, the strict censorship found in Wizard101 creates a situation where communicating is often so frustrating that I simply do not bother. Quite frankly, it is not worth the headache to try and come up with alternate words to convey my message. Consequently, I play alone 90% of the time.

Obviously, this is my decision and I don't expect others to share or agree with it but the fact of the matter is I am not the only one. I have a number of friends who have tried Wizard101 only to stop halfway through the trial. When I ask why the left the number one reason they cite for giving up is the chat system.

I understand the reasons behind the China-esque censorship and believe that it may, arguably, be a necessary evil. However, though I do not have a viable solution, I am glad to see the topic come up for discussion. Hopefully, an alternative solution or an improvement to the current system may come from this topic.

Galen Titanbane
49 Ice Wizard

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
Well, I myself am quite happy with the current system. There are lots of things that I can not type but if it keeps children safer I am all for it. An adult realm or chat system sounds great but realistically there is no way to keep children from accessing it no matter what safe guards you try to take. If I want to talk to my friends I use a different chat option (Yahoo!) which I switch back and forth to during the game. I know that would not work with everyone but it is fine for me.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
Creative and bored individuals will always find ways past censors. And when all else fails they can always just say things like "soap you" because after all its the intent behind a word that matters not the word itself.
If the word filter wasnt so hardcore then this wouldnt be an issue, but in an understandable effort to control language I think they filter way to much.

For instance bed, decorate and statue are STILL censored.

Either KI needs to start adding more inoffensive words to the dictionary or give us another more advanced method of communication.

I won't quit or anything over this, as I like W101 too much, but it is quite lonely being unable to talk to anyone beyond the most basic of words, and as the poster above mentioned I dont really bother trying to talk to anyone.

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
CatSydsMom wrote:
To look at this from a marketing standpoint, having a safe environment for kids is great. They have their "safe" environment with the current chat system.

They are looking at this from a marketing standpoint. There are a handful of MMOs aimed at and considered safe for kids. There are hundreds (thousands?) of similar games aimed at adults. Gearing so much content to adults would make this game like Everquest or LOTRO. How exactly would this game stand out? It would slowly evolve into every other online game. They have to be able to compete. How can they say this game is kid safe when there's a seperate section that is less than safe for kids? An area that they could very well enter despite everyone's best intentions to keep them out? That undermines KI's entire marketing strategy. Sure, they want everyone to play. But they want us -- the adults -- to do so understanding that this game is kid safe and friendly. They want parents (adults with money) to know that they are doing their best to keep their kids safe.

You're right. It is a parents responsibility to keep an eye on their kid. But if you sell a kid with a Fake ID alcohol, you are responsible. That is the position into which an adult realm could place KI. If something were to happen to a kid that happened to get in their, they would bear responsibility. Possibly legally, but definitely in the eyes of the public.

I do agree that the whitelist could use some work. However, I understand it is organic and dynamic. I suppose changes will come in time, once they have an opportunity to see the challenges of communicating.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2009
Hey all,
I am the friend of Steven Dusktail and sometimes its just hard to chat because in a fight for example it has to be fast and you cannot find the right word or you make a typo and thats frustrating. I would suggest to keep the public chat like it is and only change the true friend chat! You need to have an other possibility to talk to your friend to give him the code so why you cannot chat with this person without filter? I think that would help alot!
I am often playing solo to because it is just too complicated to have a normal conversation because of the filter and there are also so many that arent even allowed to text chat.
I understand all the arguments for this system even if i do not think it is that good but making filter off for true friends chat would help to give a more relaxed atmosphere.
Greetings
Duncan OwlHeart

Survivor
May 10, 2009
As soon as adult-oriented realm were added, every clever kid with a desire to:

1) curse
2) pose as an adult
3) prove that they are smat <sic>
4) wreak havoc with adults
5) pwn all of you with skillz

- would find their way onto your precious new realm.

Soon, you would come back to the default white list chat for relief. In the end, the adult-oriented realm will have become the Debauched Teenage Realm. Although you will have your freedom of chat, you will also have gnashed teeth because you'll be dealing with the clever kids described above (the good kids will have no reason to infiltrate your shiny new world).

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
TayD wrote:
I'm just wondering why "bacon" is not allowed.

Same reason Kitchen isn't allowed?

Yes you can try it, I tried and it just kept throwing it out.

wonder if cooking space is allowed? and would the person your talking to understand. This filter is thrown together garbage. One guy got the job of a filter and didn't bother to figure out ALL of the quirks with language.

I am NOT going to be a parent to someone's child they don't bother to watch, yet this filter is doing exactly that. Why bother being a parent when someone throws together a filter that makes it next to impossible to hold a normal conversation without it acting stupid, no it won't let you say stupid either. But you can call anyone a creep and it's ok?

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
I understand this is primarily a children's game, and why the chat restructions are there. I would like to see some new words added to accomodate the new housing options (kitchen, bed, decorate, etc.) But mainly I'd love to be able to type (or just spell out) numbers. Even single digit numbers would be a big advantage in team play, things like "I need two more pips for Blizzard" or "Three more ghouls to finish my quest".

Speaking of teams, could we please get "our team only" chat for PvP matches? It would be HUGE to be able to strategize with your teammates without the other side being able to see it!

Survivor
Jun 23, 2008
I understand everyone's frustration with the chatting system. We play this game as a family, and when my husband works out of town, it's still something we can do together. However, the chatting is difficult because of the filter, but we work around it.

With that said, sadly the filter isn't enough. I just witnessed a little girl talking to a complete stranger and she was able to tell him where she lives, what time it is where she lives, and what school she goes to, and that it was not a high school, but way less. He asked about another girl and she let him know that was not another girl, but her brother playing a female character. They both left the area when I walked to where they were standing, so I have no idea what other things she was able to tell about herself.

There was absolutely nothing I could do as I just sat in horror with terrible thoughts that the stranger could have been anyone. Sure, it could have been another kid her age, just curious about this girl, and her life. How it may differ or be similar to his own, or it could have been a predator. If so, then he would have everything he needs to possibly find her.

Also, her chat filter did not seem to be on, so parents.. Please.. It's there for a reason. Turn the filter on/off however it works on this game, so your child can not talk to other people without your consent.

As for chatting with strangers, if you are an adult.. I'm just not sure how to work around that, without making it dangerous for some of the kids that play, and their parents don't monitor well enough, or the kids are just too darn clever to figure out a way around it. I would suggest it be taken off for people on the same account, though. Like my husband, my son and myself. We're all on the same account, so I think we should be able to speak to each other freely in private messages, but not to other people. The filters should stay the way the person in control of the account has them set.

Anyway, I hope I didn't babble too much, and wasn't too far off topic. I was just truly afraid with what I was seeing, and I have no idea where to even post something like that, or even if there's anything that can be done at all when you see a kid giving out personal information to a complete stranger.

Good luck to you all, and God bless.

Oh, and try to remember... those filters are there for a VERY good reason, no matter how frustrating it is.

Administrator
See Someone Misbehaving?
If you see other Wizards using inappropriate language, soliciting or harassing language, we encourage you to Report them to Mr Lincoln. To report another Wizard, click on them in the game and Select the Report Button. This screen will appear that will allow you to tell Mr Lincoln exactly what the other player was doing.

Mr Lincoln will review the chat logs and mute or ban the player.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Defender
Jan 07, 2009
Gamma wrote:
See Someone Misbehaving?
If you see other Wizards using inappropriate language, soliciting or harassing language, we encourage you to Report them to Mr Lincoln. To report another Wizard, click on them in the game and Select the Report Button. This screen will appear that will allow you to tell Mr Lincoln exactly what the other player was doing.

While mr lincoln reviews the logs you get to listen to MORE of the swearing and threats for reporting them, been there listened to it more than once.

When a game gets this big is when the trouble starts, small games to me just arn't as much fun. But like any game there has to be a few to spoil it for everyone. Yes I admit I play alot to relax and get away from the real world. I do love playing with a few people and some I'd love to throttle for not paying attention and walking off from thier computers. This is the how can we make the rest of the world bow down to us generation. I'm not bowing to anyone, I play by the rules. I've done my police work for an ISP catching those "bad guys", I want to relax and play. There should be a place for adults only, but who is really an adult and who is a kid trying to beat the system?

Survivor
Aug 22, 2008
While I do agree younger players need to be protected. I don't completely with the system in place. the filters are just too random. You can't say chocolate or egg or bacon but you can say curry. You can't say most countries but you can say Scotland. You can't say he'll or til, as in until, but you can say she'll. It seems totally crazy to me. You also can't use the plural of most words so we do end up sounding like cavemen.

I really like the idea of a tiered chat system. You already have most of it in place right now. You should just add a third tier for confirmed adults. I don't think it would be too hard to impliment.

It gets really frustrating at times not being able to hold a simple conversation with our wizard friends. Please KI do something for your adult base.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
'lo, Everyone,

Would I like to communicate better in real time with a team, especially an ad hoc team put together for a quest or series of quests? Yes, of course I would!

Do I want to jeopardize kids play? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Wizards 101 is a kids game, first and foremost. Yes, we adults play, too, and we can work around some of the issues just by being clever. I was flirting a bit with a fellow player, (she's a "bookend" with my daughter's character, they both have similar appearing avatars, and they're both horrendously destructive to monsters). If I can do that, and I'm thick as a brick, you can, too.

I am willing to live with the whitelist, especially if some other words were in it. My house has a theater, and its really hard to do Shakespeare from the stage without Olde English words. I would like to see abilities to do the first seven natural numbers without the parsing. I've never needed to go past "five" in combat situations, but "seven" would cover all the pips and spells.

But if it isn't possible, I can live with it as is, if my favorite game keeps kids happy and safe.

See Ya Around the Spiral!

David Shadowflame
Grandmaster of Fire

Survivor
Mar 09, 2009
I used to beable to text chat, and now i can't, have no idea why!!! I have never been rude to anyone, so should never have been reported for anything. I barely chat in game, but would be nice to beable too if the need arises. Am about ready to cancel subcription.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
Wizard 101 is a kid friendly game. Adults CHOSE to play this game, so they'll have to take the same restrictions as kids. I do think there should be a realm where people who can't use filtered chat cannot be. Creating a realm for adults would kind of be age disgrimanation (sp) No offence to any of you.

I also agree that you should be able to say numbers (12345678910ect.) But KI restricts these so you cant say adresses, email, true friend codes ect. maybe up to two letters before it is restricted. And who knows.

Also I get bogged down with friend requests and i'm not an adult. Friend requests are, most of the time, based on level not age. How can a Seven year old tell that a twenty-Year old person is the one there requesting as a friend. Would you decline a five year old with a guy level 50 as your friend?

I personally disagree with adult realms, but a realm for people with filtered chat. Isn't it annoying when you can't tell the person who your battling with what to do?

Jacob Winterhaven :D

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008

LOL, some of us adults complain as well as the kids, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Eye there's the rub, and my point.

This game is for all ages, lets keep it that way. I have to be creative just like the kids. I will say that we congregate to our own ages and our own levels and just like I discard a bad card I delete friends just as easy.

You would be kidding yourself if an adult chat would make the game better.
Sure there are limits and creative ways around them, I don't think this makes the game any harder, this is an aspect of the game.

I can tell quickly; people my own age, people from my same country, demeanor and skill level.

Example: I met an adult from another country, when asked where- they said, "the land of the cyclops", I responded with "grey ease", "yes" they said.

I consider communicating here another language to be learned and there are fan based sites with the ability to communicate more normally.

I wouldn't change a thing on this because I respect the ambition for safety of all who play.

Warm regards,
Oran Jade Hunter ;-]

Survivor
May 21, 2009
I am an adult with a kid, but definitely enjoy this game a lot.

the text filter does not really bother me much, except for a few words here and there that are filtered and i do not know why. maybe it is the double meanings that somebody could find in them, that i just don't see.

otherwise, I hear a lot about people asking for an adult realm, and others saying it would be impossible to do that because kids will find a way. But, why not try making another realm where you have to log in with your parental controls password, which your children probably wouldn't know anyways?

I think that could be a possibility

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
I find it so hilarious sometimes some of the harmless things I try to say that are filtered out.

For example, I was at a friends dorm room, and he picked up his bed. I ran under where it was so he couldn't put it back, just to mess with him, but he put it on top of me. I said, "you put your ..." What I meant to say was, "You put your bed on top of me." Bed as a word is filtered, and "on top of me" as a phrase is filtered.

Another time, a friend asked if I wanted a treasure card he found, and I said "yeah, ..." what I wanted to say was, "yeah, give it to me." Give it to me as a phrase is filtered.

Normally, I wouldn't think to use those phrases in an inappropriate way, but if they're filtered out, I instantly get why. The phrases are so easily circumvented, all it's really doing is giving kids ideas.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
Gamma wrote:
See Someone Misbehaving?

in order to report the person for saying something terrible you have to find them, and in a crowd it is impossible! there has to be a better way, say report myself so you can check the log? watching a child saying something about a nig, well you get the meaning, I'm not going to lower myself to say that word! But they found a way to say it over and over and over while standing in a crowd so they couldn't be reported.

Administrator
Coming soon, we are adding the ability to click on a players name within the chat window. This will open the Friends panel and make it much easier to find other players.

This option is currently only on the Test Realm, but will be coming to the Live Realm very soon.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
May 23, 2009
The reason you can't say numbers is because people could easily give out phone numbers and adresses. Anybody could be waiting out there( if we were allowed to say numbers) and ask someone for their address and then go to that address and do unspeakable things. I, have known this, as a kid, and I still am a kid, from Club Penguin. They won't let you say numbers in number form. And it is hard for you to give out addresses, because you get less space to chat with. Hope this helped! P.S. I am smarter than an average kid with a 134 IQ and with a little help from my parents! So I have known this.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I am a grand mother and a greatgrandmother. I love this game but there are a few things that bother me.
First, I wonder why you think kids have their parents permission to play. Lots of kids, including my niece are allowed to use the computer as they wish without being constantly monitored- we trust her and have parental controls set through the internet itself.
Second, it is simple to get an adult account even if you aren't an adult. Kids can add and subtract.Lots of kids lie about their age.
Third,I cannot chat with my niece as I am helping her with her game. Is there some way that it could be filtered to allow parents to do text chat with their child?We would like to upgrade my niece but don't want her to chat with just anyone. She can't even talk with her mom who also plays.
Fourth,Why would anyone want to be able to raid another person and steal their things?I would upset me greatly if I paid for an item or skill and some just took it!!!!!!!My suggestion is--Buy your own! This is like teaching your child to steal.
Fifth, I can't add more than 3 friends without removing one, what's with that?
Sixth, I would like to be able to talk to others and not sound like I'm 3 years old. Although I agree with filtering words-its way too limited. A child's dictionary has more words than we can use in chat.
Thank you for letting me air my views and I hope someone in management reads this.

Administrator
ladywiz54 wrote:
I am a grand mother and a greatgrandmother. I love this game but there are a few things that bother me.
First, I wonder why you think kids have their parents permission to play. Lots of kids, including my niece are allowed to use the computer as they wish without being constantly monitored- we trust her and have parental controls set through the internet itself.
Second, it is simple to get an adult account even if you aren't an adult. Kids can add and subtract.Lots of kids lie about their age.

We encourage the parents of our players to take an active role in their child's online activities, it sounds like you already do this with the parental controls you set on the internet.

ladywiz54 wrote:
Third,I cannot chat with my niece as I am helping her with her game. Is there some way that it could be filtered to allow parents to do text chat with their child?We would like to upgrade my niece but don't want her to chat with just anyone. She can't even talk with her mom who also plays.

True Friend Codes are the answer!
True Friend chat is the same as "Text Chat" except it is enabled through the use of a "True Friend" code. If a Wizard knows a friend in real life, outside of the game, they can exchange a code that will allow them to communicate with one another. It may be used by Wizards of all ages. Simply click on the Friends panel and click the small 10101 icon. This will open the following panel.

Click Get True Friend Code, and a code will appear. Give this code to a family member.
The log in to the game and click the 10101 icon in the Friends panel, and enter that code in the empty field and press Check True Friend Code.
Once you've done that, you'll appear on each other's Friends List and can use the direct Text chat through the Friends Panel.

ladywiz54 wrote:
Fourth,Why would anyone want to be able to raid another person and steal their things?I would upset me greatly if I paid for an item or skill and some just took it!!!!!!!My suggestion is--Buy your own! This is like teaching your child to steal.

We agree. This is one of the reasons that the only trade we allow between characters is the trade of Treasure Cards.

ladywiz54 wrote:
Fifth, I can't add more than 3 friends without removing one, what's with that?

If you're playing on the Test Realm, you may be confusing Friends with Grouping. Grouping allows for up to 4 players to be in a group at once. This is currently only on the Test Realm.
On the Live Realm, your normal Friends List can have up to 100 different players, and they will show up on different pages of the Friends List based on whether or not they are online. If you are having issues with your Friends List, it may be full. Use the arrows at the top of your Friends list to cycle through all the categories of Friends, and remove any that you do not wish to remain Friends with. If you're still experiencing issues with your Friends List, please feel free to submit a bug report to Mr Lincoln through the Help & Support tab on the left of the website, then Contact Us.

ladywiz54 wrote:
Sixth, I would like to be able to talk to others and not sound like I'm 3 years old. Although I agree with filtering words-its way too limited. A child's dictionary has more words than we can use in chat.
Thank you for letting me air my views and I hope someone in management reads this.

We are looking at expanding the chat options, and you can learn more by reading our announcement about upcoming Chat Enhancements.

Hope that helps! Please also take a moment to read our Parents section of the website for more information.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-