Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game's massive lag

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 19, 2009
Ok, so I've been playing this game for almost a year, and I have noticed more and more that on my new computer (yes, with all data for the game on it) it lags way too much. This has caused me to die many times because of the lag, or just would jump and I'd find myself in a random battle that could have been avoided. Please do something to eliminate such lag from the game.

Delver
Feb 01, 2010
Dracanu wrote:
Ok, so I've been playing this game for almost a year, and I have noticed more and more that on my new computer (yes, with all data for the game on it) it lags way too much. This has caused me to die many times because of the lag, or just would jump and I'd find myself in a random battle that could have been avoided. Please do something to eliminate such lag from the game.
it's not the game it's the computer i have 2 computers i play wizard101 on one of them is very slow and the other is very fast but the very fast one isn't mine i have to ask the one who does own it to let me play wizard101 on there so i usually have to play on the slower one but it's fine you get used to it in fact i used the slow computer to write this message if the game was lagging it would happen to everyone

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Dracanu wrote:

I have the same problem. I thought that the UK version might be better - less people, but it is crowded and has the same lag, even though the UK version is an earlier version of the game.

Since you have been playing the game for awhile you have probably done the following - this is for those who are new to the game and suffer from the same problem.

1) See if there are any other programs that are using up your resources and close those that are not necessary.

2) Move your wizard to a "perfect" realm - less crowded.

3) I would suggest adjusting the game's graphics settings: (You can always change the settings back as needed) [In game press "esc"]
Resolution – 800X600
Full Screen – Off
Graphics Detail – Low
Texture Detail – Low
Smoothing – Off
Shadows – Off
Particles – move the slider all the way to the left for the lowest setting

4) You may also wish to adjust the following:
Gameplay:
Overhead names – None
Chat Balloons – Hide
Quest Helper – Off (turn on when needed)

5) Even turning off the "sound" will help some systems. (I put on my own music – except when I am in MooShu.)

6) Oh!! and the KI standard response – update your graphic card drivers.

Adjusting just one of these settings may eliminate or reduce the problem.

For me the problem of lag started with the update of advanced pets and the change that KI needed to make to their graphics engine. Since I am unable to buy a new computer, I will continue to use my old system knowing that, due to the ever increasing amount of data that is required in the game, there is a bottleneck between my old graphic card and the cpu.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
We started having problems when the advanced pets came live too. Sometimes my lag is worse than others. When Wizard is really crowded and busy on most realms it is awful.

It has greatly improved since the most recent update. My internet provider has merged with another. They said our speed will increase. I am hoping that will help too. I believe that is part of the problem for me.

I wish KI would make some adjustments to Wizard. Most people have older average computer and graphic cards.

I also know it is NOT just folks computers. My friend's husband is a SERIOUS gamer. Wizard lags on their new computer that handles WoW and host of other games just fine.

Megan

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
rolo527 wrote:
Dracanu wrote:

I have the same problem. I thought that the UK version might be better - less people, but it is crowded and has the same lag, even though the UK version is an earlier version of the game.

Since you have been playing the game for awhile you have probably done the following - this is for those who are new to the game and suffer from the same problem.

1) See if there are any other programs that are using up your resources and close those that are not necessary.

2) Move your wizard to a "perfect" realm - less crowded.

3) I would suggest adjusting the game's graphics settings: (You can always change the settings back as needed) [In game press "esc"]
Resolution – 800X600
Full Screen – Off
Graphics Detail – Low
Texture Detail – Low
Smoothing – Off
Shadows – Off
Particles – move the slider all the way to the left for the lowest setting

4) You may also wish to adjust the following:
Gameplay:
Overhead names – None
Chat Balloons – Hide
Quest Helper – Off (turn on when needed)

5) Even turning off the "sound" will help some systems. (I put on my own music – except when I am in MooShu.)

6) Oh!! and the KI standard response – update your graphic card drivers.

Adjusting just one of these settings may eliminate or reduce the problem.

For me the problem of lag started with the update of advanced pets and the change that KI needed to make to their graphics engine. Since I am unable to buy a new computer, I will continue to use my old system knowing that, due to the ever increasing amount of data that is required in the game, there is a bottleneck between my old graphic card and the cpu.

These adjustments do help some. If I am working on finishing a badge, I turn off my quest helper and that helps quite a bit, otherwise I end up getting caught in a battle I am not ready for or don't want.

The above statement about KI telling you to update your drivers is very true. They told me the same thing after I sent them a diagnostic they asked for so they could take a look for other problems with my computer.
I HAVE the most current drivers for my graphics card and did have at the time I sent the diagnostics to them.

When I am playing and moving from one area to another or porting to a friend, I have to wait until my character becomes visible before I move or end up in unwanted battle. By that time I am getting messages from my friends wanting to know where I am or if I am going to join the battle already in progress.

I started having problems when the Pet Pavilion was introduced to the game and it has gotten steadily worse. It does not even matter if the realms are perfect or not. Plus I also have very little data on my computer other than the game.

So, YES, this problem is getting to the point that it is almost not worth trying to run. If it keeps getting worse, I will not waste the money to renew my membership in a couple of months.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Another thought that came to mind – The massive amount of game data that is required may also be causing problems for the bandwidth from your internet provider. This is not only the incoming traffic, but also the outgoing traffic. I have noticed that with each new world there is an increase in traffic. The activity light on my broadband modem is a steady light.