Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Aoe and DoT

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 01, 2010
as the title says i have heard these words in like every topic. what do they mean? i really want to know x. x

Delver
May 26, 2009
AoE - refers to an attack spell on everyone (like sandstorm)
DoT - refers to a damage over time spell (like fire elf)

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
Let me explain. DoT means damage over time, example is fire elf. I don't know what AoE means. Maybe attack on enemy?

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Defender
Feb 16, 2009
AoE means Attack all Of the Enemies, including spells such as Humongofrog and Meteor Strike.

DoT stands for Damage Over Time, including spells such as Fire Elf and Heckhound.

Glad I could help.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
RipShred wrote:
as the title says i have heard these words in like every topic. what do they mean? i really want to know x. x

AOE is Area of Effect (or a spell that hits multiple characters/foes)
DOT is Damage of Time (like the fire elf, it does damage initially, then additionally over three more rounds.

Historian
May 28, 2009
RipShred wrote:

AoE: Area of Effect: A spell that make a battle's duel circle special effect

DoT: Damage over Times: Like mostly of the fire attacks.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
DoT is "Damage over Time", a spell that does damage, generally over the next three turns, and sometimes also on the given turn. For example, Fire Elf is a DoT spell. It does 50 damage on the round it's cast and 70 damage on each of the next three rounds. Damage over Time spells are good for breaking and preventing the effective use of shields.

AoE is Area of Effect, a spell that does damage to all enemies. Examples would be Storm's Tempest, Ice's Frost Giant, and Balance's Sandstorm.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
AoE- Area of Effect; effects all enemies or you and your allies. ex: Unicorn and Blizzard are examples of AoE spell.

DoT- Damage over Time; attack damages over more than one round. Sidenote: the Fire school specializes in this type of spell. ex: Poison is a DoT spell.

Delver
Feb 01, 2010
RipShred wrote:
aoe means area of effect which is an attack that damages all enemies and dot means damage over time you should know about these when you talk to the fire teacher in ravenwood for the ravenwood tour quest you get at level 2 but in case you don't a dot is an attack that keeps hitting the opponent for 3 rounds the simple fire elf spell you can get at level 5 is a dot you should try it out.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
AoE= Area of Effect= damages all enemies

DoT= Damage over Time= Spells like Fire Elf that do damage over a few rounds
:D

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
DoT=Damage over Time think Heckhound.

AoE=Area of Effect or a spell that attacks all enemies think Scarecrow.

Megan