Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Defeat [Monster] and collect [Item].

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I wanted to talk about these quests here on this thread. In my opinion I think KI should do away with these types of quests or at least make just like defeat so many of [monsters] by saying you always get what you are trying to find.

These quests are to difficult
Indeed they are. I was on a new wizard trying to collect clues from lumbering trolls and it took a few days (not constantly playing), but still, this is ridiculous.

There are to many defeat and collects in Celestia.
This is also true. Celestia sends you from one defeat and collect straight to another with full quest lines with only defeat and collects. These quests need at least made easier seeing how not everyone is lucky. Also, they shouldn't make you collect so many since you have to defeat literally they made me beat like 10 to get 1 of the things I needed. Ridiculous. Please reduce of these quests and raise the chance of collecting item in the future.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I know it's not my place to say, but this is getting annoying. Can you ever just play the game? You always have something to complain about. If you think the game is that imperfect, why do you play?

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I know it's not my place to say, but this is getting annoying. Can you ever just play the game? You always have something to complain about. If you think the game is that imperfect, why do you play?

Hey for once i actually agree with you.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
ok, before the thread gets hijacked, i agree with bravevline. It takes WAY too long to do things like that. I wouldn't say take them out, per say, but reducing the number would be better. it can take hours (if continuously played), to find the items you're looking for.

Taylor Lifebringer Lvl 60 Life

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Defender
Aug 26, 2010
wiler5002 wrote:
The rate that it will count is random.

As a programmer, I can tell you that random isn't really random and is in fact more a probability issue. It would be a simple change to increase the probability of collecting an item.

I agree this needs to be changed. I, for example, needed to collect 3 items, I defeated 20 enemies before I got the first one. Since defeating them was basically the same 4 spells for each battle, the game got really boring.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I totally agree. For some of these quests the probability is so low it makes the game more of a chore than a challenge.

I propose that KI make sure the probability is always greater than 1/5 per enemy of collecting something.

Even in this case there is a chance that you could kill 10 enemies to collect, but it won't happen too often.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
I have to agree that the defeat and collect quests get to be more of a chore than relaxing/exciting gameplay.
When I stopped playing last night, I had 1 shark tooth. This morning, it took 5 hours to get the last 5 teeth. That's just way too long.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
Probabilty aside...

I find that if I kill too quickly (especially in WC or Krok), I hardly collect. So I always let the monster hit me before killing. If they fizz, I still wait for them to hit me at least once.

Also, I don't stay in the same battle area. I'll move one or two areas over for the same monsters.

When I do collect, I try to remember the spell order/combo I used and try to repeat it in a different battle area.

I get frustrated too - especially when I solo. But honestly, I don't think I've ever spent more than a couple hours total (I'll do a side quest and come back.) I try everything - repeat spell patterns or purposely mix...

If all else fails... transfer to a crowded realm and see if anyone else is doing the same fight you're looking to collect on.

N ora RavenSong lvl 60 balance
Ellie NightWeaver lvl 46 death
Lenora LionHeart lvl 37 myth
Nora SeaStone lvl 15 storm

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
ellielee wrote:
Probabilty aside...

I find that if I kill too quickly (especially in WC or Krok), I hardly collect. So I always let the monster hit me before killing. If they fizz, I still wait for them to hit me at least once.

Also, I don't stay in the same battle area. I'll move one or two areas over for the same monsters.

When I do collect, I try to remember the spell order/combo I used and try to repeat it in a different battle area.

I get frustrated too - especially when I solo. But honestly, I don't think I've ever spent more than a couple hours total (I'll do a side quest and come back.) I try everything - repeat spell patterns or purposely mix...

If all else fails... transfer to a crowded realm and see if anyone else is doing the same fight you're looking to collect on.

N ora RavenSong lvl 60 balance
Ellie NightWeaver lvl 46 death
Lenora LionHeart lvl 37 myth
Nora SeaStone lvl 15 storm

While this is a remedy, I still maintain that the parameters need to be tweaked.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2011
I had no trouble in WC and KT for defeat and collect quests.
MB was kinda easy too, maybe took a couple tries, but nothing too bad.
MS was almost as easy as WC and KT, because i had to collect 10 skin samples from infected villagers in kishibe village, i got all 10 from defeating 12 of them
DS was a PAIN! I got the draconian slayer badge from how many manascale sorcerers i had to defeat in the crucible
CL is about has hard as DS, but you normally have to collect more things

Colin Swiftcaster
LVL 54, Grandmaster Necromancer

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
bravevline wrote:
I wanted to talk about these quests here on this thread. In my opinion I think KI should do away with these types of quests or at least make just like defeat so many of [monsters] by saying you always get what you are trying to find.

These quests are to difficult
Indeed they are. I was on a new wizard trying to collect clues from lumbering trolls and it took a few days (not constantly playing), but still, this is ridiculous.

There are to many defeat and collects in Celestia.
This is also true. Celestia sends you from one defeat and collect straight to another with full quest lines with only defeat and collects. These quests need at least made easier seeing how not everyone is lucky. Also, they shouldn't make you collect so many since you have to defeat literally they made me beat like 10 to get 1 of the things I needed. Ridiculous. Please reduce of these quests and raise the chance of collecting item in the future.

Yea, 37 battles and not one of the things I'm supposed to collect in Celestia. This IS ridonkulus.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
Well, just think of all the nice stuff to sell you're probably collecting along the way?

Champion
Feb 14, 2010

I don't mind these types of quests and my son actually prefers them to just a straight number to battle. Either way I don't have a stong enough opinion about it to care one way or the other.

af6at wrote:
When I stopped playing last night, I had 1 shark tooth. This morning, it took 5 hours to get the last 5 teeth. That's just way too long.

Really? 5 Hours... Is that a bit of an exageration?
1 hour I could believe. I mean, how long does each battle last for you?

I have gotten stuck a few times in Stormriven and the Science center for up to 90 minutes max; so I do understand the frustration.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
hey i dont like it either its not very fair, i love the game but i once had to beat like 20 guys just to finish the quest of getting 2 items, srsly no lie! i feel for ya, and i dont agree with akihirohattori5 :(

Ryan Dragonsword, Level 52 Grandmaster Pyromancer.
Secondary School Divination all spells learned.
(yes its a long signature deal with it) :P

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
TamelaD wrote:
wiler5002 wrote:
The rate that it will count is random.

As a programmer, I can tell you that random isn't really random and is in fact more a probability issue. It would be a simple change to increase the probability of collecting an item.

I agree this needs to be changed. I, for example, needed to collect 3 items, I defeated 20 enemies before I got the first one. Since defeating them was basically the same 4 spells for each battle, the game got really boring.
uh i aint no programmer but i agree its not really random: its PROGRAMMED on the rate. random is when you pull a name outta a real hat, there isnt random on computers.... yes i am confusing
the rate is just too high regardless, either lower the number or make the rate in our favor a little more.

Ryan Dragonsword, Level 52 Pyromancer.
Secondary School Divination all spells learned.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
You people are over exaggerating. Ik these type of quests are hard but at least it gives us something to do and is a challenge. And never can you spend more than an hour on one of these quests, I mean for real?

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5, I think that may be a little extreme there. I've now had over fifty battles with no items, and I like the game. But in order to improve the game, it's up to us to point out the little things that may or may not need to be tweaked. So we don't want to quit, but it's VERY frustrating when you have your millionth battle with another sign saying, "Didn't collect, try again."