Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pesky Porters

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
We all have to deal with it. Those low level people porting into area's that they are not ready for. Hardly any of us like it. Some don't mind, but for the most part we are sick of it. When we can't even keep 2 life wizards alive in a single street fight, we don't want to have to worry about the low level random wizard that jumps in. its hard enough on us to take care of ourselves. So my husband came up with a really good idea.

When it comes to porting a player can only port to a friend. That player must stay within 50 steps by the quest arrows steps, to their friend. If they go over this distance they get a countdown timer and at the end of the timer they are sent back to their home or area of level. no marking without the spiral key. to any area. that includes level 5 wizard city players can not go to krok without a friend there. and if they go more than 50 steps away they are sent home. and so on with every world.

would love feedback on this from any and all.

Taryn Dreamhaven
Paige Lotusblossom

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I like it. It is an affective way of stopping people running around causing trouble and marking spot to return to later to run around causing trouble.

Megan

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:
We all have to deal with it. Those low level people porting into area's that they are not ready for. Hardly any of us like it. Some don't mind, but for the most part we are sick of it. When we can't even keep 2 life wizards alive in a single street fight, we don't want to have to worry about the low level random wizard that jumps in. its hard enough on us to take care of ourselves. So my husband came up with a really good idea.

When it comes to porting a player can only port to a friend. That player must stay within 50 steps by the quest arrows steps, to their friend. If they go over this distance they get a countdown timer and at the end of the timer they are sent back to their home or area of level. no marking without the spiral key. to any area. that includes level 5 wizard city players can not go to krok without a friend there. and if they go more than 50 steps away they are sent home. and so on with every world.

Taryn Dreamhaven
Paige Lotusblossom

the only problem with this is that if the high level friend is on a mount and the low level isn't, then the low level would be ported back for no reason. also, if half way through a duel then a single player could be left with several different monsters, thus killing him. my final worry is that the low level's other friends may teleport, meaning that they could go more than the distance away from the first player, and the two other friends would be able to go anywhere if they stuck together

Juan Duneshade
Level 23 :D 8)

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
May i reiterate, you would need to have someone on your friends list within 50 steps that has natural access to the world in particular in order to forgo the autoport countdown. the other friend may jump in, but without the spiral key, or having someone on their friend list WITH the spiral key within range, they would immediately face the countdown. The concept is to keep players who are not appropriate for an area from roaming and causing trouble in fights that other players have started, generally fights they are less useful in or fights they usually end up porting away from anyway. It would cause a flee penalty the same as running from the fight normally. In response to the 'mounted will get away,' if the high level player is intent on having the low level player's help, they can either attempt to stay with them, or allow them to port to them again.

also to clarify, not necessarily within 50 steps of the person you ported to, but within 50 steps of ANY friend with the Spiral Key for that world. Yes, this would mean that if the higher level is defeated and flees to bottle up, they will have to return quickly lest the low level player face a fled reaction. This can best be prevented by the low leven friend systematically reaching the world you're attempting to work in, as it represents having help in a fight you wouldn't have anyway and losing the same way you would without the help.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
Great idea! I have another idea though.

I don't think they should be allowed anyone should be allowed to teleport to the low levels who go to the high level places when they are there. And then make it so the low levels can't enter a battle without the high level player's permission. Maybe an accept button on the player, like the send away button.

A few notes so there is no confusion. A higher level player player can't use the low level to pass though a dangerous area then teleport (since the high level might not have pressed accept yet) because absolutely NOBODY can teleport to the low level player. You don't have to be a high level to no go though this. You just need to have completed the STORYLINE quest for it. Please tell me if you see any flaws.

Hopefully KingsIsle will put this in the game

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Can't wizards only port to friends already? I don't know...there are a lot of bugs in this idea. Speaking of bugs, this method has the potential to make the game very glitchy because of its complexity. The plan is an enigma; there's so many different parts to it. Also, the whole 50 steps plan doesn't really fix the problem. A 50 step radius is a decent-sized playground that other wizards play in, so how does it prevent them from joining a battle? On that note, how does a timer (which would probably be 10 seconds) fix the problem? Can't a low level wizard can join a battle, trigger another monster to join the battle, and flee the scene unscathed (due to being ported back home or to the last safe area they were in) in 10 seconds? I can do that in 5 with my Initiate Necromancer! I hate having low level wizards in high level areas as much as the next person, and I'm sorry if I'm totally missing something that in turn makes this entire post a slew of inane ramblings, but I think this idea needs work. A lot of work.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2009
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:

Taryn Dreamhaven
Paige Lotusblossom

That seems reasonable, except as Jaun mentioned, the issue with mounts would be a big deal and frustrating. I agree, I get very annoyed sometimes, but I think I have a better idea. My idea is when you're on the street, anyone can port to you, regardless of level, and there would be no timer. But if you're in a battle and even if your ports are on, a little sign shows up saying that your friend would like to port to you, and what level they are. You then have the ability to accept or deny them of porting. Also, when you're in a regular street battle and you're the first one, if someone tries to join your battle, the pop up will also appear telling you their name and level and you have the ability to accept or deny. This way, people have control over their battles and porting abilities.

Delver
Dec 26, 2009
I agree too. I think low levels are trying to find a way in. Back before CL I decided to solo Karuvian Scargiver. He had 1,000 health left and I had very little too. All of a sudden, a level 16 noob with no text chat joins the fight. You will think this is strange but he killed it. I am not satisfied because he must of got my drop. I could of did it solo and had better chances of a drop. I have soloed Gurtok Demon 3 times and won, by the way. This is an outrage, since I never actually soloed Karuvian Scargiver successfully. I am even mad when a magus ports in CL. I have this friend Alex Mythspear and he has ticked me off with ports. Yesterday he ported to me so I yell at him "IF YOU PORT TO ME ONE MORE TIME I WILL DELETE YOU" and I did use caps. Can't you see what a FRIEND he is? Here is advice to get low levels off your backs. Delete them and turn off buddy requests. I have buddy requests off nearly all the time because of low levels. I will turn them on for master, grandmaster and legendary only.

Survivor
May 29, 2010
I know it may sound bad to have so many low levelers running around, but what if it was by accident that they teleported there. If you have a problem with having low levelers teleporting constantly to you, then don't befriend them. But honestly, curiosity is not a sin. And I would know that because I am only a level 25. A couple of times I would accidentally teleport somewhere that I am not ready for because my sister (she is a higher level than me) or her friend asks me to teleport there. Or another higher rank wizard (I have a lot of them as my friends) would end up asking for help even if I am a lower rank. Everyone must remember that everyone is equal, no matter the magic or level.

Cheyenne Owlwhisper

"Oh hale Lord Voldemort!"

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Can't wizards only port to friends already? I don't know...there are a lot of bugs in this idea. Speaking of bugs, this method has the potential to make the game very glitchy because of its complexity. The plan is an enigma; there's so many different parts to it. Also, the whole 50 steps plan doesn't really fix the problem. A 50 step radius is a decent-sized playground that other wizards play in, so how does it prevent them from joining a battle? On that note, how does a timer (which would probably be 10 seconds) fix the problem? Can't a low level wizard can join a battle, trigger another monster to join the battle, and flee the scene unscathed (due to being ported back home or to the last safe area they were in) in 10 seconds? I can do that in 5 with my Initiate Necromancer! I hate having low level wizards in high level areas as much as the next person, and I'm sorry if I'm totally missing something that in turn makes this entire post a slew of inane ramblings, but I think this idea needs work. A lot of work.

The whole idea is not going to completely remove something that already exists in mass quantity anyway, merely reduce it. People porting to their friends in ANY world, regardless of level of 'port target' character, and then running off to get into other players fights unwelcomly, happens anyway. they jump into fights, pull in extra foes, die or port out, and leave the player with the extra trash to deal with already. The purpose of the 50 step limit is to prevent them from STAYING there and doing it repeatedly, perhaps they will realize it's going to be fruitless and attempt to stay with their 'host' friend. It's not going to increase a problem that's already there in mass quantities, only decrease it. A level 12 in MooShu that isn't near a friend will be ported out, if the 'range' of the '50 step rule' is reduced to less than the width of a battle circle gap, and no battle can be initiated while the countdown is in order, then they wouldn't be able to join any group outside of their host's battle circle.

Also, regarding again the issue with mounts, if a host character wishes their low level companion to stay with them, they would ensure the range between them does not exceed the '50 step rule' range. If that means dismounting, then so be it. if they get outside, tough luck.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Delver
Mar 18, 2010
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

The whole idea is not going to completely remove something that already exists in mass quantity anyway, merely reduce it. People porting to their friends in ANY world, regardless of level of 'port target' character, and then running off to get into other players fights unwelcomly, happens anyway. they jump into fights, pull in extra foes, die or port out, and leave the player with the extra trash to deal with already. The purpose of the 50 step limit is to prevent them from STAYING there and doing it repeatedly, perhaps they will realize it's going to be fruitless and attempt to stay with their 'host' friend. It's not going to increase a problem that's already there in mass quantities, only decrease it. A level 12 in MooShu that isn't near a friend will be ported out, if the 'range' of the '50 step rule' is reduced to less than the width of a battle circle gap, and no battle can be initiated while the countdown is in order, then they wouldn't be able to join any group outside of their host's battle circle.

Also, regarding again the issue with mounts, if a host character wishes their low level companion to stay with them, they would ensure the range between them does not exceed the '50 step rule' range. If that means dismounting, then so be it. if they get outside, tough luck.

As long as the ability to port to ALL worlds is there this will always be an issue. At least this helps minimize the impacts. This idea is a huge step in the right direction. I like it because it tethers (for lack of a better word) the lower level wizard to his upper level friend. If you want to go to an upper level world you better stay with your friend. If you don't poof you are out of there pronto.

My concern is if there is another battle within that 50 step radius the low level person joining a "strangers" battle. The highlighted text does answer that to a degree. I would add no battles UNLESS you in the SAME battle as your friend holding the Spiral Key.

I have no problem with someone being able to go to Base Camp and look around. I do have a problem with people running around joining battles they can't handle.

Megan

Survivor
Sep 04, 2009
what i think is just getting rid of the whole idea and putting in a fresh one so here it goes:

my idea is to for low level player to port they have to port to a safe zone then they can't enter any non safe zone while they're there and if they have the spiral key to that area then they can port anywhere in that area but then again that would not be very fun for someone like me who can handle a marleybone battle but is in krok because i subscribed when i was a journey man

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
The only problem I have is that it seems to be a really complex solution for this problem. It's building a rollercoaster to get from A to B instead of building a bridge. I think it would just make more sense to give worlds a level requirement. KI already has the technology (I think it's just a matter of re-formatting the Subscriber-Only method, but I know nothing about computers), and I can't think of a reason why a Level 13 wizard would need to port to their friend in Celestia.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
The only problem I have is that it seems to be a really complex solution for this problem. It's building a rollercoaster to get from A to B instead of building a bridge. I think it would just make more sense to give worlds a level requirement. KI already has the technology (I think it's just a matter of re-formatting the Subscriber-Only method, but I know nothing about computers), and I can't think of a reason why a Level 13 wizard would need to port to their friend in Celestia.

Curiosity and power leveling are two reasons. There are people who take their low level wizards to the Chancel and level them up quickly. They go from low level to high level in nothing flat by doing the Chancel over and over. Apparently, this dungeon has not been fixed like the others.

Megan

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
Curiosity and power leveling are two reasons. There are people who take their low level wizards to the Chancel and level them up quickly. They go from low level to high level in nothing flat by doing the Chancel over and over. Apparently, this dungeon has not been fixed like the others.

Megan

Curiousity killed the cat, and power leveling? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I'm still not convinced level requirements aren't the answer.

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Curiousity killed the cat, and power leveling? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I'm still not convinced level requirements aren't the answer.

Is there just something in you that requires you to be rude and offensive? She was answering your question. And she is right. There are too many players that jump to higher level area's to power level. Yes KI has done things to try to stop them from doing that. Yet it is not working. This idea was just that, an idea. There is no need to be rude to people putting idea's out. If you don't agree thats one thing, but being rude, just to be rude is not needed. Constructive criticism is nice and welcome. But this board is made for people to put idea's out. Instead of putting the person down for that, maybe saying what you see could be potental problems with the idea, and what you would do to fix it instead.

Taryn DreamHaven

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Pardon me? Why so rude? What did I do to you? I simply put two answers that I know are reasons lower levels go to Celestia to answer your question.

Megan

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
Pardon me? Why so rude? What did I do to you? I simply put two answers that I know are reasons lower levels go to Celestia to answer your question.

Megan

Please excuse me, I didn't mean to offend you. I meant those were dumb reasons to go to a world you're not experienced enough to access and obviously not welcome in for the most part. For me, going through the Spiral for the first time was an amazing experience for me because each world seemed cooler and more wondrous than the last. I don't care how ridiculous it sounds; I can't fathom ruining what I got out of going through the Spiral, fully exploring each world and then advancing, by helping an Adept get into Dragonspyre just because they're "curious". Then there's the enhanced leveling that comes from porting to higher level worlds. The virtue of patience was instilled in me a long time ago; I know that with time and practice comes excellence. It would be appreciated if KI supported having patience, especially in a generation that's losing sight of this virtue fast.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

Please excuse me, I didn't mean to offend you. I meant those were dumb reasons to go to a world you're not experienced enough to access and obviously not welcome in for the most part. For me, going through the Spiral for the first time was an amazing experience for me because each world seemed cooler and more wondrous than the last. I don't care how ridiculous it sounds; I can't fathom ruining what I got out of going through the Spiral, fully exploring each world and then advancing, by helping an Adept get into Dragonspyre just because they're "curious". Then there's the enhanced leveling that comes from porting to higher level worlds. The virtue of patience was instilled in me a long time ago; I know that with time and practice comes excellence. It would be appreciated if KI supported having patience, especially in a generation that's losing sight of this virtue fast.

Now I feel silly. I totally misunderstood your post. Sometimes those subtle things don't come across well in this type of forum.

For what it is worth I agree with you. I hope people who complain about lower levels in upper level worlds don't power level. If they do it is the pot calling the kettle black.

Thank you for clarifying for me. I appreciate it.

I have another idea for this post. I am trying to flesh it out. Please keep checking back I would appreciate feedback.

Megan

Survivor
Dec 14, 2010
I absolutely HATE this idea because maybe people want to hang out with their friends or see other bosses don't judge people right away maybe they actually are good people and if you can't deal with that then maybe you should play a different game like I bet you did it when you were a low level because I used to do the porting thing ALL THE TIME and in fact sometimes I lasted longer then the level 40s in Mooshu! All i have to say is everyone is helpful so don't judge until you actually start to know them better then judge if they aren't "good enough" for ya. Just get over it if it's REALLY a problem then just don't even fuss around with it.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
Now I feel silly. I totally misunderstood your post. Sometimes those subtle things don't come across well in this type of forum.

For what it is worth I agree with you. I hope people who complain about lower levels in upper level worlds don't power level. If they do it is the pot calling the kettle black.

Thank you for clarifying for me. I appreciate it.

I have another idea for this post. I am trying to flesh it out. Please keep checking back I would appreciate feedback.

Megan

I had to make sure you knew what I meant because I actually felt really bad for offending you, especially after you defending my ideas quite a few times in my "Spelling and Grammar: Why They're Important" thread. *sigh* I need to stop being so subtle. Wait! I mean...oh never mind, you get it.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Perfect!!!! no more noobs attacking celestia. Its like an infestation in their

Just to prove a point, I thought your post got cut off or something because you used the wrong 'there'. "It's like an infestation in there." This right here is why grammar is important. Sorry to go off topic, but I had to point that out.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:
Is there just something in you that requires you to be rude and offensive? She was answering your question. And she is right. There are too many players that jump to higher level area's to power level. Yes KI has done things to try to stop them from doing that. Yet it is not working. This idea was just that, an idea. There is no need to be rude to people putting idea's out. If you don't agree thats one thing, but being rude, just to be rude is not needed. Constructive criticism is nice and welcome. But this board is made for people to put idea's out. Instead of putting the person down for that, maybe saying what you see could be potental problems with the idea, and what you would do to fix it instead.

Taryn DreamHaven

Please tell me this is a huge misunderstanding in the same fashion as FireFan02's. If not, then the answer is yes. Something requires me to be a harshly critical person. I realize how immature that is, and I've been working on it since I was 11. I take opinions too seriously and I attack when I should persuade; for that, I sincerely apologize. I hope it's not too late to say this, but please don't take any malicious tone in my posts/threads seriously. Believe me, I'm never rude just to be rude; I'm too nice to do that lol. What you don't realize is that in most cases, what you read is extrememly watered down from my raw opinion. It takes me hours to post a response to someone just because I try my best to make sure my post doesn't sound ridiculously hurtful. On the other hand, my opinion is "just that": an opinion. As hypocritical as it makes me for saying this, you do have the choice of ignoring my opinion if it annoys you so. Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I'm very sorry.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I had to make sure you knew what I meant because I actually felt really bad for offending you, especially after you defending my ideas quite a few times in my "Spelling and Grammar: Why They're Important" thread. *sigh* I need to stop being so subtle. Wait! I mean...oh never mind, you get it.

I tend to be quite literal. LOL That causes problems here for me. I think from now on when I am being sarcastic I will put *sarcasm intended* or when trying to be subtle *note being subtle here*. LOL

On topic-I have done a 180° on the above post. I have come to the conclusion world/level locks are the only thing that will solve the problems associated with porting. I have been a staunch supporter of unrestricted porting. Recent events and the attitude I can because I want to have changed that. I also am noticing more and more tensions on message boards and in game because of it. I hope KI realizes what a big rift this is causing in our community and that they do need to address it. Ignoring it is making it much worse. KI could simply say people still have access to all the worlds. But, to fully use it one must UNLOCK them all by questing.

Megan