Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Epic Bundle Complaint (Just a small one)

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I'm an adult player who received the epic bundle for Christmas. I am very happy with the gift, except for one detail. WHY do all girls have to get the princess gown? I'm sure there are many lovely princesses who play Wizard, but I'm not one of them. I'm a mom of boys, I like to dig in the dirt, and my wizards like to wear armor.

Anyway, the real concern I have is this: KI sends a message to girls that they should be princesses and wear dresses when there is no stylistic choice for the outfits. As a feminist wizard, I find that idea is, um, medieval, and inappropriate for the post-modern world.

It's not an acceptable alternative to pay crowns to stitch the gown's stats into other gear, either. Wizards shouldn't have to pay additional money to be pleased with the product they already purchased.

Please give girls better robe choices with gift packs. Pretty please? Pink Princess Please?

Thanks for reading,

Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist, level 58
Rowan Earthsong, Sorceress, level 52
Scarlet Ravensong, Pyromancer, level 51
Alexandria Dreamwalker, level 19
Moira Shadowmancer, level 5

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
I totally agree. I am quite the tomboy and when I got the gown I was sort of upset.
Brianna Wildblood
Brianna Daydreamer

Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
I agree. I'm not a mom, but I am female. I got the epic bundle and I was a little disappointed that I got a princess gown for "epic clothing". I mostly was looking forward to having actual armor. I think we should be able to choose what clothing we get in the bundle. I am tomboy NOT girly-girl.https://www.wizard101.com/posts/listSmilies.ftl#

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I could see guys wanting something ornate without the steel plating and chain mesh, I mean we are supposed to be wizards, not knights. It may have helped your argument to point that out.

Or have you fallen victim to the other side of the same double standard?

Why wouldn't a girl want to be a princess?
Why wouldn't a boy want to be a knight?

Indeed, the more diverse support your cause has, the more likely you are to get your way.

or maybe not

Someone decided this combination of clothing would sell best in a castle themed package. When the gift cards no longer sell, then they will change something.

As for stitching, it is perfectly fair. You pay crowns to stitch anything, weather the stitched clothes were bought with crown or gold. If you could stitch the gift card clothing for free, then, it would be unfair.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I have to disagree about the stitching as well. I use it all the time to get the look I want for my wizards. It only costs 100 crowns per item. In terms of real money, from gift card exchange rates, that works out to 20 cents. I'll argue that a lot of crown items are very overpriced (mounts, reseting training points) but this is a very reasonable cost IMO. What was more costly for me was having to dye the gear from the epic card bundle. Really I wish we could at least have chosen what colors we wanted when we chose the gear. The red and gold color scheme for the boys is ostentatious and totally not my style. It cost almost 10000 crowns for me to change to a much more desired color scheme.

If you just got the card, then you have 5000 crowns with it. 300 crowns to change your appearance isn't that much of a cost.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
zebulous wrote:
I could see guys wanting something ornate without the steel plating and chain mesh, I mean we are supposed to be wizards, not knights. It may have helped your argument to point that out.

Or have you fallen victim to the other side of the same double standard?

Why wouldn't a girl want to be a princess?
Why wouldn't a boy want to be a knight?

Indeed, the more diverse support your cause has, the more likely you are to get your way.

or maybe not

Someone decided this combination of clothing would sell best in a castle themed package. When the gift cards no longer sell, then they will change something.

As for stitching, it is perfectly fair. You pay crowns to stitch anything, weather the stitched clothes were bought with crown or gold. If you could stitch the gift card clothing for free, then, it would be unfair.

However, my point is that not all girls want to be princesses. Therefore KI should allow us a choice of garb. And, no, I shouldn't have to pay to change the style of my gear after having already purchased a bundle.

Don't really care if you disagree with me. I wasn't rallying support, simply stating an opinion.

Cheers!

Squire
Jan 21, 2010

You do have a choice of garb! If you don't like the way your clothes look you can pay to stitch, just like all the other players.

I take it: the castle, the gryphon, the wand, the PVP circle, and the extra house ticket are not enough? You are saying the epic gift card is not good enough. If you are demanding something not included in the bundle then you must believe that the bundle is not good enough.
You want three tickets, or passes, each good for a free stitching. That is the only way I could see you getting your way. Stitching is the utility the game uses to change clothing apperance. No shop in the game, not event the crown shop, gives the buyer a choice on how their outfit will look before they buy. You are allowed to pick colors, but not the shape.
At first I thought that it was odd that we could not pick colors, then I realized that we use the accept gift menu and not a shop menu when we pick out our outfits. The accept gift menu may be unable to the color choice menu.

Now, the gift card is a way to get you a code. If you had to get the code off of the site you would need to use a credit card.
Buying the gift card does not make you any better than a person who buys a clothing set in the crown shop. If I can't stitch a Supreme Overlord set for free, you can't stitch your epic bundel set for free either!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
How funny! To have a small complaint (it says so in the title) and get such virulent replies by, I'll just bet, a bunch of males.

Guess what? You obviously did not read my post, because none of you lovely gentlemen have responded to my actual complaint. Just. Like. A. Male.

And I still don't like the pretty pink princess outfit. And I still think KI should change it :D

Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist, level 59
Rowan Earthsong, Sorceress, level 53
Scarlet Ravensong, level 52

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
My adult friend was quite disappointed her girl wizard had to have the princess clothes. She said "I am not a girly girl.".

I would prefer slacks and a tunic myself. I stitched my level 58 clothes to my level 48 Life gear cause I like it much better. I stitched my hat to a different one too. I too fall into the not girly girl category.

I really think offering female wizards a choice is a great idea. Please consider it KI.

Megan

Survivor
Jan 21, 2010
i would prefer that they gave us a choice of whatever clothes we wanted instead of knight or princess clothes
(i would choose the pirate stuff from marleybone)

Explorer
Dec 05, 2010
I don't have it, but, no offense, it looks really ridiculous. Personally, I'd prefer to wear the boys' outfit. I'd rather be a knight than a princess. I never got over wearing the Tunic of the Breakneck while riding my Bengal Tiger.

Katherine GoldCaster
Level 40
Master Diviner

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
Its not really just the epic bundle cloths. Even though the other cloths might not be 100% princess stuff i personally think that some of the boys cloths look much better. Say the halloween hat: girls get a hat with odd hair and boys get a hat that is a skeleton. (not fair). I am also sorta sick of having a mini skirt or a robe. I get that the boys get dress cloths but they also have other stuff. and i agree with queenlybluebean.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
You make a good point, but what you're neglecting is the fact that there's no equality in your suggestion. Why do the girls get the choice between a princess dress and knight's armor, but us guys get stuck with the armor whether we like it or not? To be honest, I'm not fond of the armor and would rather have something more "wizard-y" because we fight with wands, not swords (well you get what I mean). I'd rather have a tunic or a cloak, but to do that, I have to stitch my clothing. Sound familiar? What annoys me is you're so busy defending the woman's side of the argument and condemning the alleged 'men" that dare to disagree with you, you don't realize that if you made your argument a little more unisex-friendly you might actually have more people behind you. If I may say so, that's sounds just like a feminist.

Anyway, they should've just let us choose what style and color (cuz that red and gold is tacky) costume we wanted the clothes to be along with the stats.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
I'm an adult player who received the epic bundle for Christmas. I am very happy with the gift, except for one detail. WHY do all girls have to get the princess gown? I'm sure there are many lovely princesses who play Wizard, but I'm not one of them. I'm a mom of boys, I like to dig in the dirt, and my wizards like to wear armor.

Anyway, the real concern I have is this: KI sends a message to girls that they should be princesses and wear dresses when there is no stylistic choice for the outfits. As a feminist wizard, I find that idea is, um, medieval, and inappropriate for the post-modern world.

It's not an acceptable alternative to pay crowns to stitch the gown's stats into other gear, either. Wizards shouldn't have to pay additional money to be pleased with the product they already purchased.

Please give girls better robe choices with gift packs. Pretty please? Pink Princess Please?

Thanks for reading,

Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist, level 58
Rowan Earthsong, Sorceress, level 52
Scarlet Ravensong, Pyromancer, level 51
Alexandria Dreamwalker, level 19
Moira Shadowmancer, level 5

Professors and Me. Lincoln...
you may want to edit this but i think you should at least bear out what i say.

i am in major agreement with this..

even in real live and if you read your historys there are maidens who wore armor and fought beside the male counter part .
in Europe most notably Joan of Arc.
check out the article at /www.archaeology.org/9701/abst...armatians.html to see more of the same about women in armor and weapons

more often the womans armor was of harden Leather rather than iron alloy but a lightweight mail was often used along with the leather to provide a greater protection.

if your worried about the guys having to wear skirts to make it even think of the Scottish highlanders in the 9 yards of woolen plaid used to male the KILTS they wore but then that were usually only knees length to avoid tangling the feet

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hi AkihiroHattori5,

Since you agree that clothing is limited for BOYS as well, awesome. But it isn't our responsibility to address the topic for boys. After all, that would be presumptuous. A BOY should address this issue :-)

Oh wait, you just did :-D

We're GIRLS, and are interested in the styles of girls' clothing in the game.

Ladies, what clothing styles would you like to see added to the selection?

queenlybluebean who is NOT a pink-princessey kinda wizard