Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Marleybone Magic

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 30, 2010
The Balance instructor said that he came from a place called Marleybone and it had no magic. So how can O'Leary use magic if their world has no magic??

Defender
Aug 13, 2010
My feelings exactly!

I mean the Rat Magicians are obviously occult and do it as a specialty, and maybe I will forgive Meowiarty, Katzenstein and the Clockworks using magic, but when hooded thugs with knives and big, brawny moggies start summoning Cyclopes out of thin air...I call shenanigans.

My sentiment is that these enemies should rely on natural / physical attacks much more often.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I'm pretty sure Prof. Wethersfield meant that Marleybone wasn't known for being a world where magic was prevalent. Magic was probably introduced to Marleybone by Malistaire (the reason why we're there in the first place), then people like Meowarity and Dr. von Katzenstein used it for evil, and pretty soon it trickled through the system and the O'Leary's got their hands on it. Then there were people like Prof. Wethersfield who searched the spiral for a power to combat the new weapon that turned average street thugs into extraordinary villains to be reckoned with. He of course found Balance and now teaches it to aspiring Sorcerers at Ravenwood.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
It is possible that Marleybone has no magic of its own, and only was introduced to magic when it came into contact with the other worlds of the Spiral. Look at how much more scientifically advanced it is, compared to Krokotopia or even Wizard City. Instead of being able to summon a Cyclops to help move heavy goods, the Marleybonians had to invent machines that could do the lifting for them.

Once they were introduced to the other worlds, however, they began exploring them like crazy in order to discover the secrets of magic. The burglars have most likely stolen a hefty amount of this knowledge, and is using it to further their crimes.

So while Marleybonians do not possess their own magic, they have assimilated it from other cultures - just as Wizard City has assimilated magic found in Krokotopia, Mooshu, Dragonspyre and now Celestia. The more the Spiral is explored, the more magic is found and used by the many cultures that are in contact with each other.

Defender
Aug 13, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Prof. Wethersfield meant that Marleybone wasn't known for being a world where magic was prevalent. Magic was probably introduced to Marleybone by Malistaire (the reason why we're there in the first place), then people like Meowarity and Dr. von Katzenstein used it for evil, and pretty soon it trickled through the system and the O'Leary's got their hands on it. Then there were people like Prof. Wethersfield who searched the spiral for a power to combat the new weapon that turned average street thugs into extraordinary villains to be reckoned with. He of course found Balance and now teaches it to aspiring Sorcerers at Ravenwood.

Yeah, I guess that's probably the most likely story. We still don't see the dogs using magic.

Still, I'd like to see a world where not every creature you fight is able to summon monsters out of thin air like we Wizards do. Keep in mind we had to get an 'education' to do this, unlike creatures in Mooshu, Grizzleheim, and other worlds.

Explorer
Nov 26, 2008
Well, really MB doesn't have any magic, haven't you noticed its canine residents don't know how to use magic? They'd much rather stand in the street and socialize. And as Bookshelvings said, the "monsters" of MB were probably the work of Malistaire and don't really count as certified MB residents.

Molly
Master Sorcerer