Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No way!

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
Okay, so, I worked to get my Ice colossus pet to adult, looked forever to find someone to hatch an orthrus with me, and then spent 35,000 gold to hatch what I thought would be an Ice Hound. So then, I wait over 17 hours for my "Ice Hound" to hatch. I'm so excited to see it and... it's an Ice Colossus. Hmm... So I wasted all my gold to get a pet I already have? What the heck is that? I either want a refund or I want my Ice Hound. What a waste of time and money. There's so much more I could have done with 35,000 gold. But instead, I get a pet that I HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE! I am beyond angry about this! Who came up with the idea that you pay to get a pet you already have? THIS IS MADNESS!

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
It's amusing, isn't it?

Someone once suggested being able to bet on PvP matches and the Admins said that gambling is not and never will be part of Wizard101, BUT in pet hatching, you're essentially betting that you will get a rare hybrid pet.
It's a crapshoot, and you lost.

Defender
May 30, 2009
I don't understand why everyone forgets the part where they say you MAY be able to get a different pet from hatching. The second colossus is certainly different from the first because of the talents it received so you DID NOT get the same pet back as you had. You only got a pet that LOOKS like the original. Keep trying with the orthrus/colossus combo or find someone who has an adult ice hound to mix with. Not everything in life is guaranteed and this would be one of those things (clearly stated with the release of the new pets).

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Seriously, did you not notice the bit in hatching regarding a CHANCE, NOT A GUARANTEE of new pet from mixing some of the pets. Yes it is frustrating, but that is part of the challenge of obtaining desired pets, but demanding return of gold or free pet is the whiners way out of their own folly. If you had paid attention to previous posts and hatchings you would know that it is not guaranteed and it generally takes multiple hatches to get desired pet.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
af6at wrote:
It's amusing, isn't it?

Someone once suggested being able to bet on PvP matches and the Admins said that gambling is not and never will be part of Wizard101, BUT in pet hatching, you're essentially betting that you will get a rare hybrid pet.
It's a crapshoot, and you lost.

Exactly! That's exactly what I was thinking when this happened!

Hypocrites!

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
Okay, so, I worked to get my Ice colossus pet to adult, looked forever to find someone to hatch an orthrus with me, and then spent 35,000 gold to hatch what I thought would be an Ice Hound. So then, I wait over 17 hours for my "Ice Hound" to hatch. I'm so excited to see it and... it's an Ice Colossus. Hmm... So I wasted all my gold to get a pet I already have? What the heck is that? I either want a refund or I want my Ice Hound. What a waste of time and money. There's so much more I could have done with 35,000 gold. But instead, I get a pet that I HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE! I am beyond angry about this! Who came up with the idea that you pay to get a pet you already have? THIS IS MADNESS!

hahaha! the hatchery isnt always for hybrids sometimes you get the same pet but with different stats, its practally a game o' luck! maybe if ya try again you might get it! ( idk why i put the devil face )

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
What are you whining about?

Celestia is a giant make up to Ice, with a kicking damage-over-time group hit spell at level 58, nasty Legendary gear, an amulet that gives a stacking Ice Blade, and, a pet that has some nice talents that can be bought with gold instead of Crowns.

So save up 13,000 gold and ask some one nicely to take you to Celestia Base Camp so you can buy the Starfish.

For me, on one account, the Starfish got Mana, Ice-Shot, and on the other account, Blizzard card, Ice-Giver, and Spritely. Have not taken either to Epic.

Or if you are really in love with that Colussus, hatch one with the Starfish. Costs less and you have more control over what goes in.

(I thought Celestia pets would have Celestia talents like improvements to Critical Hits or Blocks, or give Celestia cards, silly me. Next time I will use the test realm.)

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
ic0517 wrote:
What are you whining about?

Celestia is a giant make up to Ice, with a kicking damage-over-time group hit spell at level 58, nasty Legendary gear, an amulet that gives a stacking Ice Blade, and, a pet that has some nice talents that can be bought with gold instead of Crowns.

So save up 13,000 gold and ask some one nicely to take you to Celestia Base Camp so you can buy the Starfish.

For me, on one account, the Starfish got Mana, Ice-Shot, and on the other account, Blizzard card, Ice-Giver, and Spritely. Have not taken either to Epic.

Or if you are really in love with that Colussus, hatch one with the Starfish. Costs less and you have more control over what goes in.

(I thought Celestia pets would have Celestia talents like improvements to Critical Hits or Blocks, or give Celestia cards, silly me. Next time I will use the test realm.)

That is completely off topic. Ican go to Celestia. I don't want a starfish, I want my Ice Hound I was supposed to get.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
Krailzec wrote:
demanding return of gold or free pet is the whiners way out of their own folly.

It would not be a "free pet" I spent 35,000 gold to get an Ice hound. But I didn't get one. The fact that it takes "multiple hatches" is completely ludicrous! If it takes, say, five times to get it, then I end up with four ice colossus that I don't need, and I end up wasting about 175,000 gold! This needs to be changed, it's completely unfair!

Survivor
May 27, 2009
very true catboy. I have so far spent 264000 gold on hatching my pet and eventually on my last hatch mixing a helephant and a hydra finally got me a fire hydra which has extremely rare talents and increases your stats big time. KI honestly I spent 264000 gold just to get a hybrid. wow. that should say something

Survivor
Dec 06, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:
Krailzec wrote:

It would not be a "free pet" I spent 35,000 gold to get an Ice hound. But I didn't get one. The fact that it takes "multiple hatches" is completely ludicrous! If it takes, say, five times to get it, then I end up with four ice colossus that I don't need, and I end up wasting about 175,000 gold! This needs to be changed, it's completely unfair!

Catboy2197, think of it this way: in real life, parents typically wait 9 months for their baby to be born, instead of 17 hours. All the food, toys, furniture, baby-proofing methods, and equipment are all expenses paid DURING preparation for the child's arrival. Now, let's say that both parents expected a boy to be born, just as you expected an Ice Hound to hatch. Thus, they run out to buy blue wallpaper, sports figures, etc. Then when THE day comes, they find out it's a girl.

It's commonplace that if parents were hoping for a specific gender, or to have at least one male AND one female, that they would have to try and try again. Nothing is guaranteed, and that's the way life (the thing we're all in together, right now) works.

Secondly, if it was so simple to obtain the pet model you wanted--the Ice Hound, in your case--imagine what it would look like if everyone else also wanted it: everyone would also have the Ice Hound through the same methods you used. You would no longer have a pet that is special because its rarity would be lowered.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
From my experiences so far, there seems to be a 50% chance of a hybrid hatching - if a hybrid is available - 25% of hatching one parent's breed, and 25% chance of hatching the other parent's breed. So if you breed an Ice Colossus with an Orthrus, you have a 50-50 chance of getting the hybrid you want, but you were unlucky and got one of the parents' breed instead.

Sometimes, you can even end up with the other person's pet-breed; though that is more common if you are hatching two pets that don't share a hybrid (unicorn and dragon, for instance).

Yes, it's expensive, and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the hybrid... But that is what happens. It's one of the few elements of Wizard101 that requires a huge amount of luck, but changing that around would make hybrid pets much more common and much more people would be bugging others to hatch with them.

If it's any relief to you, try looking up what some of the dedicated breeders that MUST have a specific talent on their Doesn't-Usually-Have-Said-Talent pet spend on breeding and training costs... I've heard numbers doing up to several hundred thousand gold, just for hatching.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
FurryIceCream wrote:
catboy2197 wrote:
Krailzec wrote:

Catboy2197, think of it this way: in real life, parents typically wait 9 months for their baby to be born, instead of 17 hours. All the food, toys, furniture, baby-proofing methods, and equipment are all expenses paid DURING preparation for the child's arrival. Now, let's say that both parents expected a boy to be born, just as you expected an Ice Hound to hatch. Thus, they run out to buy blue wallpaper, sports figures, etc. Then when THE day comes, they find out it's a girl.

It's commonplace that if parents were hoping for a specific gender, or to have at least one male AND one female, that they would have to try and try again. Nothing is guaranteed, and that's the way life (the thing we're all in together, right now) works.

Secondly, if it was so simple to obtain the pet model you wanted--the Ice Hound, in your case--imagine what it would look like if everyone else also wanted it: everyone would also have the Ice Hound through the same methods you used. You would no longer have a pet that is special because its rarity would be lowered.

That's a pretty good point. Maybe I overreacted a bit.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
catboy2197 wrote:

There is a 50 per cent chance of getting the pet that you already have, a 25 per cent of getting an Ice hound, and a 25 per cent chance of getting a different hybrid pet. (I can't remember it's name)