Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Needs the Old Wild Bolt Back

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
With the old wild bolt storm dealth fast and hard damage, without the old wild bolt storm does slow and hard damage and by the time storm can do its hard damage storm is blocked and typically already dead.

At epic, storm has around 80% power pips while other schools have a 100% or close to 100% power pip chance, this means the other schools on a pip per pip bases have 20% or so extra damage already built into them. A balance player with the top 58th level balance gear and a pet with pip chance upon it has over 100% power pip chance.

With the introduction of strength cards and critical damage, storm is absolutly killed in damage to health and damage to defenses and even damage to damage per pip. Ice players with a critical of 20 appear to hit critical damage on just about every attack they make, while storm players with as high as 150 critical and a 20% critical hit bubble manage to hit critical damage around 30 to 40 percent of the time. No matter how strong storm's base damage is, it still doesn't offset the constant and easier critical hits of the other schools. Critical hit chance should be the same for all schools and yet it is quite clear that ice hits criticals very easily and while storm struggles with them no matter what storm wears. When players use strength cards and hit critical damage constantly everyone has storm type damage, and with the new epic school cards everyone has hard hitting mass attacks. Here storm loses out on damage again, as storm lord is a seven pip attack all and most others now have eight pip attack alls giving them eight pips worth of damage with around 100% pip chance. A white pip less expensive means nothing casting wise when pip chances are 100% as it still takes four normal pips, except it might take storm more than four pips to cast its 7 pip spell cause storm still gets lots of white pips.

Epic storm players have around 2200 health, epic balance players around 3300, and epic ice players somewhere above 4000 with 30 to 40 percent resist all. Storm even has trouble wearing its epic gear as the gear comletely lacks storm protection and storm protection is what largely kept storm alive in both game play and pvp play. Even with the old wild bolt, storm would have to hit an epic ice player a few times in order to win against them, and ice players all have tower shields and a storm shield making the matter next to impossible against a decent ice player.

In PvP everyone has tons of storm shields, they even have storm dispels since balance players who were winning over 2 out of every 3 tmes in PvP were complaining about how they may occaisionally lose to storm players when storm players in PvP were losing slightly more than they were winning.

Dragon bladed pets come out en mass in December once again boasting everyone's base damage, and storm players simply do not have the health to survive this insult.

The current position of storm players is that they can deal large damage, but they lack the health to survive to be able to cast and when they do survive they are subject to tons of storm shields and dispels. With all the new Celestia cards, everyone mass attacks and has ways to largely boost their damage. Storm players are stuck with 2200 health, no way to get through more than ample storm shields and dispels, and are quite slow to attack now due to its pip chance and a lack of a quick and high hitting 1v1 attack.

Suggested fixes to storm:

1. restore wild bolt back to the way it was (even in PvP if storm plays at a 4v4 table it takes way too long to try and defeat everyone one at a time, and ice school and most others require more than one wild bolt hit to defeat them);

2. update the epic storm gear to include storm resistance;

3. make it so all the schools hit critical the same percentage of time given the same critical hit numbers (I know an ice player who hits critical damage about all the time with only the critical wand bonus);

4. remove all dispels, at least from PvP;

5. remove dragon blades from the game (dragon blades were amongst the worst ideas ever as everyone already did huge damage);

6. stop listening to PvP players who already win most all of the time and simply want to win all of the time, also stop listening to low level PvP players who want the game changed so that they play stronger without any of the advanced gear or level stuff;

7. when conducting polls to listen to players don't toss out the results of the polls simply cause the vote didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, tossing out the indifferent votes those who opposed the change in wild bolt to those who wanted a change in it was 2:1. The only thing the poll did do was show the players that our input really doesn't matter even when we are told it does.

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
seasnake wrote:
With the old wild bolt storm dealth fast and hard damage, without the old wild bolt storm does slow and hard damage and by the time storm can do its hard damage storm is blocked and typically already dead.

At epic, storm has around 80% power pips while other schools have a 100% or close to 100% power pip chance, this means the other schools on a pip per pip bases have 20% or so extra damage already built into them. A balance player with the top 58th level balance gear and a pet with pip chance upon it has over 100% power pip chance.

With the introduction of strength cards and critical damage, storm is absolutly killed in damage to health and damage to defenses and even damage to damage per pip. Ice players with a critical of 20 appear to hit critical damage on just about every attack they make, while storm players with as high as 150 critical and a 20% critical hit bubble manage to hit critical damage around 30 to 40 percent of the time. No matter how strong storm's base damage is, it still doesn't offset the constant and easier critical hits of the other schools. Critical hit chance should be the same for all schools and yet it is quite clear that ice hits criticals very easily and while storm struggles with them no matter what storm wears. When players use strength cards and hit critical damage constantly everyone has storm type damage, and with the new epic school cards everyone has hard hitting mass attacks. Here storm loses out on damage again, as storm lord is a seven pip attack all and most others now have eight pip attack alls giving them eight pips worth of damage with around 100% pip chance. A white pip less expensive means nothing casting wise when pip chances are 100% as it still takes four normal pips, except it might take storm more than four pips to cast its 7 pip spell cause storm still gets lots of white pips.

Epic storm players have around 2200 health, epic balance players around 3300, and epic ice players somewhere above 4000 with 30 to 40 percent resist all. Storm even has trouble wearing its epic gear as the gear comletely lacks storm protection and storm protection is what largely kept storm alive in both game play and pvp play. Even with the old wild bolt, storm would have to hit an epic ice player a few times in order to win against them, and ice players all have tower shields and a storm shield making the matter next to impossible against a decent ice player.

In PvP everyone has tons of storm shields, they even have storm dispels since balance players who were winning over 2 out of every 3 tmes in PvP were complaining about how they may occaisionally lose to storm players when storm players in PvP were losing slightly more than they were winning.

Dragon bladed pets come out en mass in December once again boasting everyone's base damage, and storm players simply do not have the health to survive this insult.

The current position of storm players is that they can deal large damage, but they lack the health to survive to be able to cast and when they do survive they are subject to tons of storm shields and dispels. With all the new Celestia cards, everyone mass attacks and has ways to largely boost their damage. Storm players are stuck with 2200 health, no way to get through more than ample storm shields and dispels, and are quite slow to attack now due to its pip chance and a lack of a quick and high hitting 1v1 attack.

1. restore wild bolt back to the way it was (even in PvP if storm plays at a 4v4 table it takes way too long to try and defeat everyone one at a time, and ice school and most others require more than one wild bolt hit to defeat them);

3. make it so all the schools hit critical the same percentage of time given the same critical hit numbers (I know an ice player who hits critical damage about all the time with only the critical wand bonus);

5. remove dragon blades from the game (dragon blades were amongst the worst ideas ever as everyone already did huge damage);

6. stop listening to PvP players who already win most all of the time and simply want to win all of the time, also stop listening to low level PvP players who want the game changed so that they play stronger without any of the advanced gear or level stuff;

7. when conducting polls to listen to players don't toss out the results of the polls simply cause the vote didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, tossing out the indifferent votes those who opposed the change in wild bolt to those who wanted a change in it was 2:1. The only thing the poll did do was show the players that our input really doesn't matter even when we are told it does.

I disagree with you 90%. The other 10% I agree with you use is the ice part. I have few ice friend that use to had a 462 as rank. Then, as soon they got lvl 58 gear, there rank went to captain. Ice is almost invincible. They resist 37%, boost 29 (more then commander gear boost which is 22%), and health really high. KI really need to look at this game once and a while and how they really ruined it with some players. And I like the new bolt for my storm though. It makes a great shield breaker spell along with my wand and prism. :D

Luke ThunderShade
Level 60 warlord
Conjurer

Ryan LegendBlade
Level 54 warlord
Diviner

Survivor
Jul 18, 2008
yea storm needs WILD BOLT back it can do as much as most of the schools can do without wild bolt i mean KI just try to get a storm high lvl without the old WILD BOLT with the old wild bolt gone that means my storm is just a waste it needs WILD BOLT more then any school needs to power up I mean its 10% i mean how could it not kill someone as fast it hit if it did that bring it back

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
You really need to redo some reasearch, or at least get someone else to do it for you because your post is some storm bias. Storm has 80 pip while others have 100? um NO. Storm has the same as myth, fire, and ice. The new bolt is fine and people can easily get the old one to 80% accuracy now so it wont come back. As well your critical testing sucks. It is pure luck. So 90% of what you have said is plan wrong, redo your research and then come back to complain just to be said no to by KI again. KI does not appriciate players exploiting on their game to win, especially when they complain after they get ride of it because they cant come up with an axtually strategy

Survivor
Mar 18, 2010
Man They really should have wild bolt back i hate not having wild bolt

Explorer
Jun 18, 2009
Well, the new wild bolt is annoying to me. I am about to die in battle. My friend Wild Bolts the monster. Whoopie- 10 damage. And I die. I'd rather have a whopping 20% for 1,000 damage than 70% for 10, 100, or 1,000. It wastes pips most of the time.

Explorer
Oct 12, 2009
When you put it that way, Wild Bolt was the only card storm had to defend it self. Honestly I think many storm players try to buff up their attacks so much, that by the time the other player(s) have their attack ready and to dish out big damage, the storm player is placing the last buff, they are KO'd.

My point being is that some storm wizards dont realize their massive power that they dont use it at the right time.

As for your part about shields. Everybody has shields against more than one school, and they are going to use them whether you like it or not because all players will try to minimize damage done to them as much as they can.

Critical can deal a one hit KO in all situations where the target has no shield or a shield that is to weak such as a 50% shield. Everything about critical is all luck. BUT storm does have the most base power. Imagine a fully buffed efreet that hits critical. Even if you have a shield, the damage is still likely to cut your health in half unless you use another shield with it.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
AlecVolterra wrote:
You really need to redo some reasearch, or at least get someone else to do it for you because your post is some storm bias. Storm has 80 pip while others have 100? um NO. Storm has the same as myth, fire, and ice. The new bolt is fine and people can easily get the old one to 80% accuracy now so it wont come back. As well your critical testing sucks. It is pure luck. So 90% of what you have said is plan wrong, redo your research and then come back to complain just to be said no to by KI again. KI does not appriciate players exploiting on their game to win, especially when they complain after they get ride of it because they cant come up with an axtually strategy

Your dead wrong on storms critical hit.I have gear that boost critical hit
to 150%,and accuracy to 110%.KI's math seems to be very different than the
math I know.The gear HAS to bugged.With those stats I SHOULD hit a critical hit EVERY time and NOT fizz unless smoke sceen or black mantle
is on,but that is not the case.And btw my legendary balance has 100% power
pip chance.

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Draco0209 wrote:
AlecVolterra wrote:

math I know.The gear HAS to bugged.With those stats I SHOULD hit a critical hit EVERY time and NOT fizz unless smoke sceen or black mantle
pip chance.

You really need to read the update notes. Critical chance is not a percantage! So wrong answer.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I like the new wild bolt, actually. The new wild bolt made me not as scared to put it in Brittany's deck, because I was scared to cast it for a LONG time. I think the new wild bolt should stay :).

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:
I like the new wild bolt, actually. The new wild bolt made me not as scared to put it in Brittany's deck, because I was scared to cast it for a LONG time. I think the new wild bolt should stay :).

I don't mind the new wild bolt staying and being named something else like "tamed bolt", but the old wild bolt should still be brought back. Perhaps 1000 base damage is a bit strong for it if strong cards can be used upon it (not sure if they could or not), but at the very least wild bolt should be brought back as it was only at perhaps 800 base damage. Storm players lose too much speed and damage without having it, storm is really rather slow compared to balance without it.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
it should also be noted that my balance character was critically hit by a wild bolt by a high damage storm player on the first turn at full 1000 base damage strength and still survived

also, it should be noted that most characters have ample storm damage reductions on their equipment now, except of course storm if they wear the level fifthty eight hard to farm gear

Defender
May 27, 2010
seasnake wrote:

Sry but i have to disagree with you on the critical thing cause my ice is a legendary and i hardly ever get a critical, and even when i do its always against a boss who just blocks it or something

I do agree that the new wild bolt is terrible
1. cause KI gave into the complainers and let them get they're way, I mean whats next judgement gets nerfed?!?!?!?
2. Its absolutely weak now cause the chances of getting the 1000 hit is only like what 35%?
3. I don't have a storm and yet i still don't like the new one, even though i got hit with it continuously when i used to pvp( which I now hate because it is just ruining the fun in the game and doesn't contribute in any way to the game) but even though i got hit with it all the time I still liked it.
KI I say stop giving into the pvp complainers who just want to win in pvp
I also say TAKE out RANKED pvp and replace practice pvp with open pvp that way its never to competitive( the competitive is the biggest reason of the complainers) and leave the tickets stuff and make tickets earn able through open that way everyone can have fun and no tries to cheat it at it cause i mean come on how can you cheat at open.
PvP seems to be the thing the majority of the people in the game play but it distracts them from the rest of the game(some old friends i had only seemed to PvP and thats it, its like they were blind to everything else but PvP) and along with just earning tickets in open arena also leave the stuff but take out the rank needed and raise the cost a little more that way it still gives one purpose which is get cool stuff with the tickets.

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
Draco0209 wrote:
AlecVolterra wrote:

pip chance.

Actually, you do not have 150%. 150 is your critical rating. Mine is 50 and I barely get critical. If you actually look at the critical section in your spell book, it will say your critical percentage. Like mine happens to be 9%.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
yes they do. you put a lot f traps and blades up and get critical just to find out that it was suppose to be 10 damage. KI plz give storm old bolt. ( and i'm not just saying this cause my storm is about to get bolt)

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
The Original Wild Bolt had to be changed due to the fact you could EASILY get it to be 80+% Accuracy. 10% + 30% Unstoppable = 40% + 25+% Gear boost = 65+% + Infallible Aura = 75+%, + Charm = 82+% so an almost 70% chance to hit on the first turn with Wild Bolt, and then you add in Critical Hits. This means you have a 70% of hitting for 1000 and a 25% of hitting for 2000 before your 78% Gear boost. 78*20 = 1,560 + 2000 = 3560. From a single power pip? NO THANK YOU!

PVP has ruined enough items that would have been GREAT in PVE. I'm talking about the 2 Power Pips wands, the removal of Simplify and Elucidate from the Archivist and Sun Trainer. In the upcoming Gardening expansion, Polymorph Treasures will no longer be able to be Traded or sold to the Bazaar and will no longer be received as Drops. However, the Archivist will get his cards back, but the cards are now going to have a Level Requirement for purchase.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
AlecVolterra wrote:
Draco0209 wrote:
AlecVolterra wrote:

pip chance.

You really need to read the update notes. Critical chance is not a percantage! So wrong answer.

Recently did. I can tell you my lvl 59 ice wizard, which has a much
lower critical hit chance hits at least twice as much as my lvl 60
storm.It gets critical HEALS constantly as well wich is great,but
something is rotten in Denmark with the with the critical hit stats.
And would love to hear an explaintion how the #$%& I fizz when
I'm wearing the gear that gives me 110% accuracy without an accuracy
reduction charm on!

Survivor
Oct 15, 2009
Really! You cant trust Wild Bolt anymore in arena or even in Celestia. If people are afraid of Wild Bolt why don't they just storm shield? KI we REALLY want the old Wild Bolt back.

Delver
Jul 20, 2009
Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
AlecVolterra wrote:

yes but to get the old wildbolt to 80% they would first need the right cards to do it. Who knows how long that might take? Plus i srsly think the old wild bolt should come back! i mean its one of storm's only way to win. with our lack of DoTs( yes i know same with life plus life can also heal and wait till a life wand and myth but like no one has a life shields and myth can do double damage) we can barely blade, in fear that someone might shields and ruin our attack. I mean sure we have the most attack but the lowest health. Now with all the new 58 spells i'm not sure we stand a choice agaisnt them ( mine isnt that far yet but...)

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
nijac wrote:
Didn't you complain about the old Wild Bolt?

I did complain about the old wild bolt at one time but when I complained about it was when people without any plusses to accuracy hit with it around 90% of the time and my storm wizard was fizzling satyr much more often than it was fizzling wild bolt at around 20% accuracy with all mods included. This was also at a time before all other schools recieved all types of stackable blades that gave them storm like damage and a time before dispels. The moment dispels were added anything over a couple pips strength on storms became heavily stacked with dispels. The only reason storm isn't currently being stacked with dispels is that now every school is doing huge damage and are now quick to attack. That wild bolt hitting critical at 1000 at 70% damage bonus fails to kill most legendary players as most will have 3000 health with storm resists without even the use of shields ceases to make wild bolt the one overly accuracte hit killing machine that it once was, and with balance often having 100% pip chance while storm has 70 to 75% and is slow to kill with all its white pips and wild bolt being a 2 pip spell its no longer over powered as it originally was. With two power pips and a 100% chance of power pips balance's ice, fire, storm 4 pip card is stronger than storms current wild bolt card as storm still needs up to two white pips to play it and balances card has much higher lower damages. Wild bolt gave storm speed and if it casted at its accuracy percent in order to plus it up for a high percent cast storm often had to sacrifice a lot of health and damage bonus on its equipment to make it effective. That is the thing with wild bolt storm players, sure they use wild bolt a lot but they also gave up a lot equipment and health wise to do so splitting storm players into two distinct groups of players who were quite a bit different than each other rather than being more generic.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2009
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Sigh. Storm actually makes me sad. Look, just make a battle plan, arrange a deck with something EXCEPT wild bolt, and fight like someone from any other school. It is pathetic that the old storm Pvpers only relied on wild bolt. There is triton, stormzilla, Lord... need I go on? Bolt was just a cheap tactic for an easy win.

Historian
May 15, 2009
scarpion18 wrote:
Sigh. Storm actually makes me sad. Look, just make a battle plan, arrange a deck with something EXCEPT wild bolt, and fight like someone from any other school. It is pathetic that the old storm Pvpers only relied on wild bolt. There is triton, stormzilla, Lord... need I go on? Bolt was just a cheap tactic for an easy win.

wild bolt was also REQUIRED for mooshu
because even in mooshu storm has less than 1500 health which puts them at a serious disadvantage
wild bolt was needed to give them a boost
it was the babies in pvp who hated losing to storm who got it changed
even if we could never get it back i would still like the damage changed around
lower the accuracy to 40% and cap it so it cant be boosted by gear or enchants to max out accuracy
and set the damage between 500-750-1000 because they NEED that card for mooshu