Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I hope I'm wrong, but...

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I completed a quest yesterday that involved killing NPC's that had to drop an artifact in Stormriven. I killed 18 before the ONE item dropped. Now, during 2 of these battles, other players were available and I joined them. During the other 7, none of my friends were on, and I was alone in the room. How to solve this, when during each battle, I did not start, and the NPC's were ice, as am I? I bought henchmen. With crowns. I sense a theme, and it upsets me. Is KI purposely lowering the drop rate for quest items so players have to use crowns, thus insuring players will have to buy more crowns as the difficulty increases? There are many NPC's, and bosses that I can solo, but there are some, like Selwyn, that were insanely hard. I am not whining about the difficulty of the actual NPC's; what I am wondering, however, is if the cheating bosses and NPC's and the lowered drop rate are part of a money making scheme (for lack of a better word) by KI? It would sadden me to believe that, as I have a subscription, and my son and I both play. However, if this is true, and other players, parents and kids alike, have the same thoughts, it would be extremely disappointing. I am all for free enterprise, and see nothing wrong with KI making money. BUT, if KI purposely changed the game simply to force players to purchase crowns, that's just wrong, and in the long run, a poor business decision, because parents like me will simply let their subscriptions run out and find something else to do with all that free time.

As I stated in the subject line, I hope I'm wrong. It just seems to make sense that suddenly you need more henchmen, which you can only purchase with crowns, and crowns is how KI makes money. Simple supply and demand economics-if people aren't buying what you're selling, increase the need and increase your profit margin. KI has certainly increased the need; I will be interested to see their financials at the end of the fiscal year.

Erin Ice Weaver
Grand Master Ice, Level 55

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
Loreis04 wrote:
I completed a quest yesterday that involved killing NPC's that had to drop an artifact in Stormriven. I killed 18 before the ONE item dropped. Now, during 2 of these battles, other players were available and I joined them. During the other 7, none of my friends were on, and I was alone in the room. How to solve this, when during each battle, I did not start, and the NPC's were ice, as am I? I bought henchmen. With crowns. I sense a theme, and it upsets me. Is KI purposely lowering the drop rate for quest items so players have to use crowns, thus insuring players will have to buy more crowns as the difficulty increases? There are many NPC's, and bosses that I can solo, but there are some, like Selwyn, that were insanely hard. I am not whining about the difficulty of the actual NPC's; what I am wondering, however, is if the cheating bosses and NPC's and the lowered drop rate are part of a money making scheme (for lack of a better word) by KI? It would sadden me to believe that, as I have a subscription, and my son and I both play. However, if this is true, and other players, parents and kids alike, have the same thoughts, it would be extremely disappointing. I am all for free enterprise, and see nothing wrong with KI making money. BUT, if KI purposely changed the game simply to force players to purchase crowns, that's just wrong, and in the long run, a poor business decision, because parents like me will simply let their subscriptions run out and find something else to do with all that free time.

As I stated in the subject line, I hope I'm wrong. It just seems to make sense that suddenly you need more henchmen, which you can only purchase with crowns, and crowns is how KI makes money. Simple supply and demand economics-if people aren't buying what you're selling, increase the need and increase your profit margin. KI has certainly increased the need; I will be interested to see their financials at the end of the fiscal year.

Erin Ice Weaver
Grand Master Ice, Level 55

You are correct. KI has become nothing but a "money making" machine. I have a lvl 50 Death GM and my second is myth (only after going into CL and finding that fire blows there) so I had to wast 4900 crowns just to change to myth when all I wanted was to get rid of fire, and make Myth 2nd and keep life as the tertiary. But, NO, I had to lose ALL my life and fire, then re-learn myth and life. Why? Why could I not just say I want to sell back this many points and not get charged almost $7.00 to lose ALL. It's not the money, it's the principal. What, $166.80 per year for a family account + buying crowns isn't enough for them? Guess not. They care not for the player and more for their pockets. Guess that's why their players couldn't get enough votes to make them #1 this year...after they tried to bribe with a lightning bat.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Okay first of all i think that the drop rate is totally random. For example, i got three wayfinders after doing the warehouse at least 13 times.

Secondly, KI like any other video game company is a business. Its fun and exciting but its a business. Business make money. Yes there gonna want you to spend crowns but i dont think its a scheme.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2009
Question: Do you like that they are hard or not?

And I agree with DanielThunderFlame (and whatever the rest of it is)
that the drop rate is totally random.

Survivor
May 05, 2009
I agree with the others that the drops are totally random.

However, they are very very very low.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't have to do 300 collect this that and the other quests.

Okay 300 is an exaggeration, but it sure seems like it's that many quests.

A little adjusting on the drop rate wouldn't be a bad thing.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
I hope you're wrong too, but I have this unnerving feeling you're not.

I understand that KI needs profits and Crowns are a good means to that end. I have a problem with that when the need for Crowns is built into the game mechanics.
Far too many of these bosses are impossible to solo without buying elixirs and henchmen, and many players do solo the game.

I'll buy items freely, but I refuse to be mugged.

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
Guess what when players went to test realm they used crowns to play and hired henchmen to play OF COURSE KI got the idea of doing this from its own players No its not random I have been fighting the same sharks alone without any henchmen and gotten NOTHING for more battles then I care to count it was actually over ten fights thats just plain NUTS. you may say random I say RIGGED to get more money.... only wayto get the needed items is to either hire or jump into others battles forcing wizards to socialize with players they don't know and some get mad others I have seen hold back and wait for YOU to start a battle this happens MORE then anything then they jump in with you your first in line and they seem to forget your the first one hit. I have also seen some jump in and only heal themselves and hit none of the enemy.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
For one: Corporate America. We must adapt to this, or leave. Since leaving will never happen, we're left to adapting to our surroundings, because we're humans, and that's just what we do.

Moving along. I've been playing for a good minute now, and never have I (no, not even once) bought a henchman. Most fights of mine are done solo, some have random people around me. The drops are random guys, implemented to give you more of a challenge, so people aren't able to BREEEEEEEZE all the way through the new world. Instead, you can halfway enjoy it now. I know! Shocking right?!

I sense a fad of paranoia; but maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. Either way, goes back to the start of my post: Corporate America. :?