Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
I have noticed a few things disturbing as time has gone on.

1) More and more minors under the age of 13 having text chat. I know this is a parental allowance thing but more and more people are learning how to get around the filters.

2) More and more minors are getting access to open chat. I have seen a lot of children using open chat to harass and attack other members. You can usually tell they aren't adults because of conduct on chat (usually, not always as there are some adults I have seen who conduct themselves like a 10 year old would). It's very disturbing to see children having open chat because there are some words that aren't blocked on open chat that I don't think is appropriate for minors. I saw a player with open chat admit she was 11. I thought the point of the various levels of chat would be to protect minors from predatory adults.

3) People false reporting. I have seen an increasing amount of these. Some people are reporting just because someone is rude. I know this isn't a reason for reporting. There have been sometimes were someone hasn't cursed nor was rude but the person who reported them was someone with text chat so therefore one of the words they used is a filtered word that for open chatters they could see it but text chatters would only see ... I had a friend who has open chat and he typed a number. Numbers open chatters can see but instead of looking at context, someone reported him because it came across as ... so therefore they thought he swore.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
kanatira wrote:
I have noticed a few things disturbing as time has gone on.

1) More and more minors under the age of 13 having text chat. I know this is a parental allowance thing but more and more people are learning how to get around the filters.

2) More and more minors are getting access to open chat. I have seen a lot of children using open chat to harass and attack other members. You can usually tell they aren't adults because of conduct on chat (usually, not always as there are some adults I have seen who conduct themselves like a 10 year old would). It's very disturbing to see children having open chat because there are some words that aren't blocked on open chat that I don't think is appropriate for minors. I saw a player with open chat admit she was 11. I thought the point of the various levels of chat would be to protect minors from predatory adults.

3) People false reporting. I have seen an increasing amount of these. Some people are reporting just because someone is rude. I know this isn't a reason for reporting. There have been sometimes were someone hasn't cursed nor was rude but the person who reported them was someone with text chat so therefore one of the words they used is a filtered word that for open chatters they could see it but text chatters would only see ... I had a friend who has open chat and he typed a number. Numbers open chatters can see but instead of looking at context, someone reported him because it came across as ... so therefore they thought he swore.
i must agree to this. many times i have been reported simply becaue i mispelled a word. if you ask me, they should remove the filter except for a few bad words. this is my suggestion. and when they changed the filter last time. why did they mark out the word bed? i cant think of any bad terms that bed could stand for. if you ask me i would gladly tell KI what words i have seen people use as bad words. i would not be mean as to report them but i wish there was a way we could suggest to support. attention moderator who is reading this: i can suggest these items! just contact me whenever you want to point out rude or bad words and how they are used in the game.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
OK. I can see how #1 and #2 can be noticed, since all wizards have a symbol that shows what type of chat level they have (with open chat having no chat symbol at all), and all one has to do is see a characters behavior to reasonably guess their age.

However, it is #3 I have a problem with here. How can you see an increase of false reporting? How can you even see any reporting unless you are the one being reported? There are no visuals that show to other wizards when someone is getting reported, just as there are no visuals to other wizards why they were being reported. All you're doing here is making assumptions that: A) they are being reported; B) that it is a false report: and C) it was because a text chat person (another assumption since even the person being reported doesn't know who did the reporting) could not see a word an open chat person used.