Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Our Level Cap increased, why not our pets?

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Ok, here is a question, if we got to finally increase our level cap to 60 and learn new spells, why did KI not think to increase our pets level cap and let them learn new talents. All those empty talent slots and unused Pedigree score. It would not be hard to do.

Oh, and if KI ever does decide to allow pets to increase their level and learn new talents, please change the xp needed.

125 for teen is great
250 for Adult if good too
500 for Ancient is not Too Bad
750 for Epic would be much better
1000 then for Legendary would be fine.

But here is a nice little catch and a goal for everyone to strive for. When you get your pet to Legendary, they actually get a Legendary Talent, not a random talent.

Legendary talents can be:
Mega Tower Aura: May Cast 90% Tower Shield
Fairily: May cast Fairy
Spell Nullify: 20% shield to all attacks
Monster Giver: +20% to all attacks
Fizzle me NOT: Never Fizzle +100% accuracy or even 30% would do

These are just a few ideas, please tell me what you think, maybe we can get KI to incorperate them in next update if we have enough responses!

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

The pets don't need a new age level for KI to introduce new Talents.
Celestia has introduced several new Epic Talents. We only had 4 pre-Celestia.

Also, Celestia pets have higher pedigrees and, more importantly, a higher ratio of active Talents - most have 8 or 9. Sea Dragon has a full set of 10 active Talents.

The Celestia pets have been improved.
This leaves room for later expansions to possibly introduce even greater improvements - like an manifesting an extra slot.

That being said...
I would love,in the future, to see some Astral school damage Talents.
And to see Talents that give bonuses to Crit and Block.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bcbdla wrote:
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

The pets don't need a new age level for KI to introduce new Talents.
Celestia has introduced several new Epic Talents. We only had 4 pre-Celestia.

Also, Celestia pets have higher pedigrees and, more importantly, a higher ratio of active Talents - most have 8 or 9. Sea Dragon has a full set of 10 active Talents.

The Celestia pets have been improved.
This leaves room for later expansions to possibly introduce even greater improvements - like an manifesting an extra slot.

That being said...
I would love,in the future, to see some Astral school damage Talents.
And to see Talents that give bonuses to Crit and Block.

Ok, let me see if I got this right. You are saying, that the Sea Dragon, will get all of its talents, all 10 of them?

I wonder if that mean, if a person hatches with a sea dragon, will they possibly get more talent than 4 with another pet? That is, if I am reading this correctly.

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
I'm saying that all of the 10 possible Talents that can manifest help thewizard directly. None of them are stat boosters.

The Talents that can possibly manifest (only 4 on any given pet will manifest) are:
Pip chance
Two May Casts
Health Gift
Universal damage, resist and accuracy
3 Gives Cards

The petnome has five Talents that did not exist before Celestia.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bcbdla wrote:
I'm saying that all of the 10 possible Talents that can manifest help thewizard directly. None of them are stat boosters.

The Talents that can possibly manifest (only 4 on any given pet will manifest) are:
Pip chance
Two May Casts
Health Gift
Universal damage, resist and accuracy
3 Gives Cards

The petnome has five Talents that did not exist before Celestia.

Right, we call these active talents and the rest are selfish talents. I know this already. So, my idea, was to let our pets be able to expand their level cap too, let them move up and get 5 or 6 talents, change the system a little bit, if they have to.

make it be:

baby, child, teen, adult, elder, ancient, epic, and Legendary. that gives 8 talents

exp could look like this then:

just an idea and people would love the more talents

but like I said, nobody wants to train a pet to epic or legendary, without getting an epic or legendary talent with that pet, nobody wants a selfish talent from that slot. We should get a well earned talent from training our pet that far.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
actually, i like the way they have arranged pets except for selfish talents and hatching. if we had a ton of talents, the spiral would be full of overpowed pets and things would be easier, but not much more fun. a little bit of what makes this game fun is suspense. with pvp, people would be ranting a ton, and in pve it would be so simple that the game would lose some of it's shine. as i said, i think besides selfish talents at epic and hatching, KI did a good job with pets

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Right, we call these active talents and the rest are selfish talents.
Stat boosters are passive Talents, yes.

So, my idea, was to let our pets be able to expand their level cap too, let them move up and get 5 or 6 talents, change the system a little bit, if they have to.
I understand perfectly well what your suggestion is.
Before going that route - which may still occur in future expansions- they improved the pets by maximizing the potentials of other features in the system. That allows room for later growth.

Instead of opening an extra slot, increased the ratio of active and passive Talents.
Low pedigree pets have a ratio of 4:6. The L48 pets are 6:4 (at best).
The Celestia pets have improved to be 8:2 (at worst). Sea Dragon is 10:0.
The Celestia pets are much more likely to manifest Talents that are of direct benefit to the wizard. And all of the Celestia pets have Spritely in the petnome.
In addition, they have added new Talents that did not previously exist.

Again, that leaves room for improvements, like opening a 5th slot at "Legendary", for future expansions.

baby, child, teen, adult, elder, ancient, epic, and Legendary. that gives 8 talents
exp could look like this then:
just an idea and people would love the more talents

When you think about game design, you can't just think about adding features that make it easier for players to succeed.
Sure, players would love to have 8 slots suddenly open because it's all benefits for them.
Game designers will balance things out with challenges and obstacles - that's what makes a game a game.

Also, they would not completely revamp the system to add in earlier Ages. Certainly not in the tiny increments of 50xp for the first 3.
What you have suggested is completely unreasonable - it just makes everything easier for the player.
You didn't even increase the effort it takes to get to the Age beyond Epic.
You're saying they should "improve" the pets by giving us twice the open slots (and benefits) for exactly the same effort/investment we currently put in.
That is exceedingly poor game design.

but like I said, nobody wants to train a pet to epic or legendary, without getting an epic or legendary talent with that pet, nobody wants a selfish talent from that slot. We should get a well earned talent from training our pet that far.
Which is why the Sea Dragon-72 has all active Talents in the petnome.
And why 7of them are Epic.
A passive Talent is impossible and an Epic Talent by the time you reach Epic is guaranteed.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Ok, here is a question, if we got to finally increase our level cap to 60 and learn new spells, why did KI not think to increase our pets level cap and let them learn new talents. All those empty talent slots and unused Pedigree score. It would not be hard to do.

Oh, and if KI ever does decide to allow pets to increase their level and learn new talents, please change the xp needed.

125 for teen is great
250 for Adult if good too
500 for Ancient is not Too Bad
750 for Epic would be much better
1000 then for Legendary would be fine.

But here is a nice little catch and a goal for everyone to strive for. When you get your pet to Legendary, they actually get a Legendary Talent, not a random talent.

Legendary talents can be:
Mega Tower Aura: May Cast 90% Tower Shield
Fairily: May cast Fairy
Spell Nullify: 20% shield to all attacks
Monster Giver: +20% to all attacks
Fizzle me NOT: Never Fizzle +100% accuracy or even 30% would do

These are just a few ideas, please tell me what you think, maybe we can get KI to incorperate them in next update if we have enough responses!

Ok, this was my original post and idea, yes, I might have added in more down the line, but they are just ideas. And, Pedigree is the Number Score of Type of Talents a pet may receive:
Common - 1 dot
Rare - 2 dot
Ultra-Rare - 3 dot
Epic - 4 dot

You add them up from talent and derby sides, that gives you your pedigree score. I like your ratio of active and passive talents for the pedigree score, but is that fact or your perspective?

It seems to me, that it depends on what generation pet you have on how many active or passive talents a pet has and not his pedigree score, But if you have inside information, or know something the rest of us dont, please share it with us. I am always looking for more information on my pet hatching, because I do have pets with excellent talents, but, I can always make better pets!

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
It's not that the ratio of active to passive Talents equals the pedigree number.
I'm referring to the number of active Talents in comparison to the number of passive Talents in the petnome.

In low-pedigree 1st generation pet, -like Bloodbat, Unicorn and Firecat- the petnomes have a ratio of 4 active Talents and 6 passive Talents.
It is very likely that several passive Talents will manifest given the odds from that ratio.

Higher pedigree pets -like the L48 school pets- have a ratio of 5 active Talents to 5 passive Talents.

The Celestia pets (we have found 5 so far), at worst, have a ratio of 8 active Talents to 2 active Talents. And they all have Spritely, which is a very nice Talent if it manifests.
The odds are very high that mostly active Talents will manifest. The worst possible outcome for manifested Talents in these pets is 2 active Talents and 2 passive Talents. But the most common outcome will be 4 active Talents.

Sea Dragon-72 has all active Talents in the petnome.
It is impossible for it to manifest stat boosters since none exist in the petnome.
Out of the 10 active Talents that have a chance to manifest, 7 of them are Epic.
Prior to Celestia, only 4 Epic Talents existed and now we have 7 on one pet.

There are also several other new Epic Talents that Give Cards.

So, while pets did not gain a new level in terms of age, they were improved considerably. And there is room for even more improvement with future expansions as more worlds are introduced.

It is still possible that a new age, like Legendary, might be added when we hit level 75 or 80. There's still plenty of other improvements that could happen in-between.
But, we should expect the next Age to require 2000xp.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bcbdla wrote:
It's not that the ratio of active to passive Talents equals the pedigree number.
I'm referring to the number of active Talents in comparison to the number of passive Talents in the petnome.

In low-pedigree 1st generation pet, -like Bloodbat, Unicorn and Firecat- the petnomes have a ratio of 4 active Talents and 6 passive Talents.
It is very likely that several passive Talents will manifest given the odds from that ratio.

Higher pedigree pets -like the L48 school pets- have a ratio of 5 active Talents to 5 passive Talents.

The Celestia pets (we have found 5 so far), at worst, have a ratio of 8 active Talents to 2 active Talents. And they all have Spritely, which is a very nice Talent if it manifests.
The odds are very high that mostly active Talents will manifest. The worst possible outcome for manifested Talents in these pets is 2 active Talents and 2 passive Talents. But the most common outcome will be 4 active Talents.

Sea Dragon-72 has all active Talents in the petnome.
It is impossible for it to manifest stat boosters since none exist in the petnome.
Out of the 10 active Talents that have a chance to manifest, 7 of them are Epic.
Prior to Celestia, only 4 Epic Talents existed and now we have 7 on one pet.

Ok, so answer me this then, and I am sure it is just an opinion, but. Lets say I have a damp Demon with Storm Shot, Storm Giver, Pips, and Storm Trap. This Pet has a pedigree of 55.

Now, I take this pet, and hatch him with a Sea Dragon. The Sea Dragon, has spritely, spell proof, pierce train, and pips.

Ok, out of this hatch, I get another Damp Demon. What, do you think his Pedigree will be, and do you think he will have a huge chance of getting active talents vs passive, since both parents only have active talents?

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Ok, so answer me this then, and I am sure it is just an opinion, but... Lets say I have a Damp Demon-55 with Storm Shot, Storm Giver, Pips, and Storm Trap.

Now, I take this pet, and hatch him with a Sea Dragon-72. The Sea Dragon, has spritely, spell proof, pierce train, and pips.

Ok, out of this hatch, I get another Damp Demon. What, do you think his Pedigree will be,

Looks like the pedigree can range from 45 to 60.

and do you think he will have a huge chance of getting active talents vs passive, since both parents only have active talents?
Has a huge chance to manifest PO'P.

Offspring will manifest at least two active Talents since it's not possible for a Sea Dragon to transfer passive Talents.

Very likely to manifest all active Talents since the Damp Demon only manifested active Talents.

Small chance that one or two non-manifested passive Talents from the Damp Demon could transfer to the offspring and manifest.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bcbdla wrote:
Ok, so answer me this then, and I am sure it is just an opinion, but... Lets say I have a Damp Demon-55 with Storm Shot, Storm Giver, Pips, and Storm Trap.

Now, I take this pet, and hatch him with a Sea Dragon-72. The Sea Dragon, has spritely, spell proof, pierce train, and pips.

Ok, out of this hatch, I get another Damp Demon. What, do you think his Pedigree will be,

Looks like the pedigree can range from 45 to 60.

and do you think he will have a huge chance of getting active talents vs passive, since both parents only have active talents?
Has a huge chance to manifest PO'P.

Offspring will manifest at least two active Talents since it's not possible for a Sea Dragon to transfer passive Talents.

Very likely to manifest all active Talents since the Damp Demon only manifested active Talents.

Small chance that one or two non-manifested passive Talents from the Damp Demon could transfer to the offspring and manifest.

Ok, one last question, I know a pet can have 2 may cast talents, but, can it have 3? And I know it can cast spritely back to back to back, but I have not seen a pet cast the shield, then spritely back to back.

Anyways, Spritely is a must have for all the non life players. Auras are really nice to have too, storm, fire, snow, have not seen life or death aura yet. Myth aura, I dont think I would waste my time on.

Also, there is the new epic talent of pierce train, that removes shields. How nice is this? Yet, also a may cast talent.

So, all in all, I would want 3 may cast talents if not 4. lol

Ok, but then there is still great talents such as spell proof and spell defy that have resistance to all spells. You can get around 20% on these. Add that to ice or the new epic gear 40% resist all, or who knows what that will take ice to 60% or more? Or, the PvP gear.

Pain giver are nice, are they really beneficial compared to these other talents? What talents do you think are best and what would you like to have on your pet?

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
Ok, one last question, I know a pet can have 2 may cast talents, but, can it have 3?
A Hatched pet could. I haven't seen a 1st gen pet with 3 May Casts, yet.

And I know it can cast spritely back to back to back, but I have not seen a pet cast the shield, then spritely back to back.
Could happen, but the triggers are rather random.

Anyways, Spritely is a must have for all the non life players. Auras are really nice to have too, storm, fire, snow, have not seen life or death aura yet. Myth aura, I dont think I would waste my time on.
I'm in Celestia now so, it's all about Block.
Since I'm rarely concentrating on one school as an opponent, the auras aren't all that desirable. Doesn't hurt; but doesn't help a lot.
May Cast Tower Shield would be great, but Tower Shield is a Gives Card Talent.

Also, there is the new epic talent of pierce train, that removes shields. How nice is this? Yet, also a may cast talent.
I hear it's pretty good from my PvP pals.

So, all in all, I would want 3 may cast talents if not 4. lol
LOL

Ok, but then there is still great talents such as spell proof and spell defy that have resistance to all spells. You can get around 20% on these.
I heard they are phasing out Spell-Defying.
And I think the highest I've seen stacked is 16%.

Pain giver is nice, are they really beneficial compared to these other talents? What talents do you think are best and what would you like to have on your pet?
Spritely, Pain-Giver, Spell-Proof, PO'P.
Sharp-Shot would be nice. I'm often in Bandit morph in Celestia.

I really want to see Talents that give bonuses to Crit and Block.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
I would like to see a level cap increase on pets - but I wouldn't mind that getting to, say, Legendary age would take MORE work than getting to Epic. For instance, making Legendary at 2000 experience points (Epic is 1000). This would keep Legendary pets as rare and hard to obtain.

Also, my Sea Dragon manifested Spritely, Pain-giver and Disarment so far. Disarment gives the Disarm Card - the other two cards it can give are Tower Shield and Pierce. However, Spritely is its only may-cast talent.

I personally like Pain-Giver. It provides me with an extra 6% damage (due to my pet's stats being maxed out by now - yes, I use the Mega Snack Pack to save a bit of time).