Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Drop Rates on Collection Items WAAAY Too Low

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
I'm only in the Grotto so far, but I've seen enough to know that the "defeat and collect" quests are absolutely ridiculous. Barely into CL (not even level 51 yet...), and I've already killed 80 crabs. 80 CRABS! I'm currently working on collecting the algae in the Grotto, and it's giving me fits. I've killed at least 8 crabs and have not gotten even ONE piece. Out of three...

Please, KI, be nice and increase the drop rates.

Historian
May 15, 2009
or how about you quit your whining and keep killing
or did you not notice gear experience and GOLD you collect? i would be happy if that happened to me that means id earn a ton of gold for items like amulets and new robes

seriously dude its CELESTIA for 50+ if you cant take it then stay out of celestia and go fight rattle bones or something i dont want celestia made easy

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I had a post about this in the Test Realm thread.

Collecting failure has gotten completely out of hand. With <75% of the quests in Celestia based on collecting, noone wants to have to battle 20+ monsters in order to gain 3 items.

After Celestia went Live, I loaded up my grandmaster Necromancer and proceeded in to Celestia. My VERY first fight quest in Celestia was to collect 4 sealants from the Crustacean Pincers. I fought 27 of them before I got my first sealant. This is completely unacceptable.

It appears that KI refused to address this problem (along with a whole lot of other things). It's unfortunate that KI doesn't understand that something like this changes the game from being entertaining to tedious, repetitious and boring.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
Thechaosmagician wrote:
or did you not notice gear experience and GOLD you collect? i would be happy if that happened to me that means id earn a ton of gold for items like amulets and new robes

seriously dude its CELESTIA for 50+ if you cant take it then stay out of celestia and go fight rattle bones or something i dont want celestia made easy

Here's an idea. How about you quit trolling. You get like 130 gold per fight and about that much XP, which is tiny. Basically, fighting really doesn't profit you.

I'm guessing you haven't done CL and don't know a lot about this game, since you think that battles actually do something for you (with the exception of the occasional item drop).

A girl I was playing with had to try for an hour to get 3 foul-smelling algae containers, and it took nearly that long for me. If you drop by the algae farm, you'll hear players talk about how rigged the drop rates are. I was there, I heard (an experienced) it all.

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge. I have 6 Warlords on my main account and am loving CL so far (minus collection quests). However, this is not challenging. It is repetition, a cheap way to extend the length of a world.

So please, get your facts straight before you start trolling all over sensible threads.

Thank you.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Thechaosmagician wrote:

I've been pretty lucky with the drops so far, but my friend hasn't. Having to fight thousands of the same monster cuz of one quest isn't in any way upping the difficulty; it's just making the game less enjoyable and more tedious. You talk about the "gear[,] experience[,] and GOLD" we get from fighting? Since I got the entire set of clothing from Spiral Geographic I'm pretty good on gear right now. Plus, the gear I've gotten is either not usable, or weaker than the gear I already have. I haven't gotten any experience from street fights, so I don't know where you got that from. You get gold for everything, so that's not even a good point. Also, what about the people like me who can't just "keep killing"? I play this game in my spare time (which I don't have much of), and a lot of times I can't just focus on that quest for the duration because there's other stuff I want to do in the game. I say keep the difficulty, but make the game less tedious.

Historian
May 15, 2009
0SMR0 wrote:
Thechaosmagician wrote:

Here's an idea. How about you quit trolling. You get like 130 gold per fight and about that much XP, which is tiny. Basically, fighting really doesn't profit you.

I'm guessing you haven't done CL and don't know a lot about this game, since you think that battles actually do something for you (with the exception of the occasional item drop).

A girl I was playing with had to try for an hour to get 3 foul-smelling algae containers, and it took nearly that long for me. If you drop by the algae farm, you'll hear players talk about how rigged the drop rates are. I was there, I heard (an experienced) it all.

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge. I have 6 Warlords on my main account and am loving CL so far (minus collection quests). However, this is not challenging. It is repetition, a cheap way to extend the length of a world.

So please, get your facts straight before you start trolling all over sensible threads.

Thank you.

for your information i have played celestia heck i played it on the test realm where it was much worse with all its bugs and glitches

and just for future references dragonspyre was much worse than celestia has been
its collection quests and i do mean this took forever and a half!
i had friends and their friends port to me to drag in more mob and that still took a very long time
i know what i am talking about
but i am glad i did
with all the fights it took me to collect the required items i had earned enough to buy a permenant mount!

the fact that gear also counts towards the total gold i get because most gear i get i dont keep i will collect until my inventory is full before selling all that is unnecessary

i am not trolling, but i am tired of having people complain about something in the game that makes it fun
i dont mean to sound like i am trolling, i really don't, but complaining ruined dragonspyre and it ruined the quest that was supposed to start your journey into celestia

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
It is hard, and the drop rate is a bit out of whack. However, I have made over 10,000 gold selling the non usable items that do drop from all these crabs and sharks. Plus I got free boots, a hat and an amulet. Tweak it a little, but I have to say, it's more fun than it is annoying!

Erin Ice Weaver
Grand Master Ice

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Thechaosmagician wrote:

i am not trolling, but i am tired of having people complain about something in the game that makes it fun
i dont mean to sound like i am trolling, i really don't, but complaining ruined dragonspyre and it ruined the quest that was supposed to start your journey into celestia

Sorry but those are your opinions. Ki needs to be mindful of the needs of ALL their players. If more players are having problems than not it makes sense to adjust things. There will be people like yourself who think it is to easy and there will be others still thinking it is to hard. But, most people will think it is just right. I did DS both ways. Either way was fine with me.

My son is having trouble in CL. He has limited computer time. Two-three hours to collect is not fun for him or me (and I have the time to do it.). He sits there, stuck doing the same battle over and over for days. The game quickly becomes tedious, frustrating and boring. Adjusting the drop rate for collecting quests seems a good thing to do.

Telling people not to whine is rather rude and unnecessary. It doesn't solve a thing.

Megan

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:

Collecting failure has gotten completely out of hand. With <75% of the quests in Celestia based on collecting, noone wants to have to battle 20+ monsters in order to gain 3 items.

After Celestia went Live, I loaded up my grandmaster Necromancer and proceeded in to Celestia. My VERY first fight quest in Celestia was to collect 4 sealants from the Crustacean Pincers. I fought 27 of them before I got my first sealant. This is completely unacceptable.

It appears that KI refused to address this problem (along with a whole lot of other things). It's unfortunate that KI doesn't understand that something like this changes the game from being entertaining to tedious, repetitious and boring.

I'm at the Stellarium now, and I've already killed enough crabs for the second badge (100) and the first shark badge (50). And I'm only in the third area!

You're right about almost every quest being a defeat & collect. It is a cheap tactic used to lengthen the Celestia content. I just received a quest that requires me to collect 6 shark teeth, and I am absolutely dreading spending an hour of my time trying to get them. If it's not bad enough that it's insanely hard to get these items, the battles are actually hard. I have no problem with this at all, I love the challenge. However, if we're going to spend 10-15 minutes (and that's with experienced players) in a fight, please at least give us SOMETHING.

I'm not asking for anything major. All I'm asking is that KI makes the drop rates a little bit more player-friendly. It would definitely make Celestia a better place.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
0SMR0 wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:

I'm at the Stellarium now, and I've already killed enough crabs for the second badge (100) and the first shark badge (50). And I'm only in the third area!

You're right about almost every quest being a defeat & collect. It is a cheap tactic used to lengthen the Celestia content. I just received a quest that requires me to collect 6 shark teeth, and I am absolutely dreading spending an hour of my time trying to get them. If it's not bad enough that it's insanely hard to get these items, the battles are actually hard. I have no problem with this at all, I love the challenge. However, if we're going to spend 10-15 minutes (and that's with experienced players) in a fight, please at least give us SOMETHING.

I'm not asking for anything major. All I'm asking is that KI makes the drop rates a little bit more player-friendly. It would definitely make Celestia a better place.

I just posted a new thread in the Celestia board regarding this very subject! So now, a question for everyone: Do you think it is coincidence that drop rates have decreased, NPC's have more power pips than players under level 58, quite a few of the bosses have charge interrupt and are coded to do things that are unavailable for players, AND the best way to combat all this is with henchmen? Not your deck minions, but crowns henchmen? All of a sudden, the life henchmen heals, which is awesome for schools that only have pixie or the heal amulets, BUT they cost 50 crowns. Then there are the potions that assist with critical and block. If you buy both, there's 1400 crowns. So, in one battle, if your friends are not on and you are alone in a room, you can easily spend over 1500 crowns in an hour. To someone with an economic background, this sounds like a planned change, not just a coincidence. Looking for opinions, especially from other parents, who have subscriptions and crowns for themselves and their kids who are in Celestia. Thanks!

Erin Ice Weaver
Grand Master Ice
Level 55
Wizard Mom

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
I was posting a new topic on this very thing when for some reason my page got lost. WHY are there SO many fights needed for collection quests? Today alone I've fought 36 Junglethorns, Rubble guys and Celestain Remnants only to get TWO of the items required to finish ONE of these three quests! This, in my opinion, is far beyond entertaining and into the psychotic torture zone. My nerves are shot, I'm extremely annoyed and I just want to get it DONE! If this is "fun" you can keep it. I think a player should not have to fight more than four times to get the items requested. It's wearing, draining and NOT entertaining at all. :(

Grandmaster Necromancer
Taryn
P.S.
That being said (and thank you for allowing me to vent) I love the rest of the game and believe it to be a true masterpiece.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
Loreis04 wrote:
0SMR0 wrote:
Preacher7719 wrote:

I just posted a new thread in the Celestia board regarding this very subject! So now, a question for everyone: Do you think it is coincidence that drop rates have decreased, NPC's have more power pips than players under level 58, quite a few of the bosses have charge interrupt and are coded to do things that are unavailable for players, AND the best way to combat all this is with henchmen? Not your deck minions, but crowns henchmen? All of a sudden, the life henchmen heals, which is awesome for schools that only have pixie or the heal amulets, BUT they cost 50 crowns. Then there are the potions that assist with critical and block. If you buy both, there's 1400 crowns. So, in one battle, if your friends are not on and you are alone in a room, you can easily spend over 1500 crowns in an hour. To someone with an economic background, this sounds like a planned change, not just a coincidence. Looking for opinions, especially from other parents, who have subscriptions and crowns for themselves and their kids who are in Celestia. Thanks!

Erin Ice Weaver
Grand Master Ice
Level 55
Wizard Mom

I just wrote a message on this very subject too! Today alone I have spent well over 8000 crowns fighting in the Floating Lands by myself. Not only did I have three collection quests in a row, but I fought 36 battles and only recieved TWO items for all three quests! It's getting to be very disappointing to me that all KI seems interested in these days is the amount of money in their bank account and NOT their players happiness in the game.

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
At first, I thought that this was a bit ridiculous, but as the song goes, "Always look on the bright side of life..." Just think of all the (1) Gold, (2) Drops (often items worth 1000+ gold!) and (3) Badge progress that you'll get from these quests!

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
At first, I thought that this was a bit ridiculous, but as the song goes, "Always look on the bright side of life..." Just think of all the (1) Gold, (2) Drops (often items worth 1000+ gold!) and (3) Badge progress that you'll get from these quests!

I have absolutely zero interest in the badges. Gold...eh. I needed it at first but now being a legendary and that and objects dropped, I'm pretty well off.
Now if they started dropping CROWNS....but we know that will never be. :D