Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Wild Bolt Spell - a Civilized Chat

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 24, 2010
Your losing players and your money if you dont listen to there feed back they have to say.

the only thing i like about the new wild bolt is the better accuracy

Survivor
Mar 28, 2010
I personally hate the changes to wild bolt, Storm is the most powerful school and that was their best spell for power (when it worked) but the fun was hoping it worked, I would get excited when it finally hit! but now that excitement is gone and it's just not as fun to play wizard101 anymore. I removed wild bolt from my deck and maybe play the game once a week now and I certainly don't want to buy crowns anymore especially since the epic cards and Gamestop fiasco!

you losing players and Money KI!
now what are you going to do about it?

Defender
May 17, 2009
akifoniq99 wrote:
maxitola2009 wrote:
akifoniq99 wrote:
I do like this new change. Storm's wild bolt could get up to 70% easily and be used VERY easily to be almost invincible. Also, storm has many great attacks ( I not gonna say anything about defense) and no other school ever had a 2 pip killing machine! Now that the wild bolt problem is fixed, all the schools are now 100% even. But this is not the last of my least favorite spells! I am coming after you judgement! XD :P

Luke ThunderShade
Level 60 myth

This is proof PvP has gone way too far!

Who says this is about pvp? LOL! I just dont like judgment.

Why don't you like it? What's so bad about having a balance friend help you kill the enemies? Apparently this is about PvP.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2010
I really dont like the changes to wild bolt. Now let me explain why.

First of all, you didn't listen to the community. It was 62 to 28 for crying out loud!

Second of all, anohter "wild bolt change hater" posted this and I really liked it. Take it away... darthjt!

darthjt wrote:
Anyway, let me ask this, how many people need to complain, quit, sign a petition, or do something drastic to get the spell back to its original state? Will it matter what we say or do? You say you are listening, but so far, almost everyone hates what you have done to Wild Bolt.

Here are the reasons. 1: You waste 2 pips on a supposed 33% chance at 1000 damage ( and like ElIemental Blast, usually you get ice, the lowest )

2:You can use wand and get more damage without the use of pips.
3:Storm has low health to begin with, so we have to hit hard and fast to even have a chance!
4:We fizzle the most, so, if we can, use spells, and enchantments to get a spell to work 70, 80, 90, and even 100% of the time, which would take a lot of other casting and costs, would we not then earn that right?
5:We are trying to keep all the schools in balance, yet, this clearly takes a great spell from storm. Yet, we are now giving Ice an amulet that gives a +45 attack blade, plus you can have pet with DragonBlade, Plus other enchantments, to make their attacks very very powerful, plus they can steal your shields, have lots of tower shields, and have resistance to all magic. Meanwhile, Balance, there is only tower shield that will protect you, and that is an ice spell, unless you buy them, and at most we can only get 5, unless you buy them, they have 125 per pip judgement spell, plus blades, hex, add feints in, and without shields or dispel, your done for, especially with low health. So, we are trying to keep the playing field even, right?

Does any other school have a spell that wastes pips? why should storms?

Either make the spell have a 0 pip cost, which would then be fair, or make it be 200 or 1000 damage a 50/50 chance, that way, it would be fair.

_
Another thing, nobody will use the spell if there is only a 23.3% (70% accuracy divided by one third chance of doing 1000 damage) chance of hitting a 1000 damage hit. KI would just be better off removing the spell all together.

On a lighter note, to find a comprimise, the change could only be effective in PvP. I think the whole reason KI changed the spell is because the PvPers hated it. Storm PvPers may be mad, but I think thats where the change originated, and everyone else suffered for it.

I see this as very unfair, so please change wild bolt back to its incredible, powerful, loved and missed by diviners everywhere, self.

David Stormhunter, Grandmaster Pyromancer, Savior of the Spiral
David Dragonhunter, Master Diviner, Oni Slayer
David Earthheart, Initate Theurgist, Wizard City Protector
David, Adept Sorcerer, Mastermind
David Deathwielder, Apprentice Necromaancer, Hero of Unicorn Way

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Pyrsik wrote:
You have simply neutered the spell. There is no strategic value to it anymore. I see no reason why anyone would include it in their deck. Why would anyone want to use a spell that will hit roughly 2/3 of the time,and if it does it, you have a 1/3 chance of a good hit? In my opinion, you have taken out the "wild" and replaced it with useless. :?

I still would actually prefer the original Wild Bolt that does 1000 damage and has 10% BECAUSE, if you have robes, and hats, and boots, etc., it could enhance your chances of hitting the enemy with it. However, even though I still disagree with what I am about to say, if you have nothing to increase your chances, it would stay 10% for 1000 damage. On the other hand, this new spell, if you do the math, first, you have 2/3 chance of it hitting. Second, you have 1/3 OF the 2/3 chance that you get 1000 damage. If you do the math, fraction by fraction, which is 1/3 * 2/3 = 2/9. 2/9 is the same thing as .2222222etc., move the decimal over twice and you have 22.2%. Obviously 22.2% is higher than 10% so you actually do get the better deal with this card. Of course though, all this is baded off of if you dont have anything to boost your chances with the original card which pretty much EVERYBODY does therefore, I still think that the orignal Wild Bolt is better. Sorry if I confused anybody, lol.

Defender
May 17, 2009
David8675309 wrote:
I really dont like the changes to wild bolt. Now let me explain why.

First of all, you didn't listen to the community. It was 62 to 28 for crying out loud!

Second of all, anohter "wild bolt change hater" posted this and I really liked it. Take it away... darthjt!

darthjt wrote:
Anyway, let me ask this, how many people need to complain, quit, sign a petition, or do something drastic to get the spell back to its original state? Will it matter what we say or do? You say you are listening, but so far, almost everyone hates what you have done to Wild Bolt.

Here are the reasons. 1: You waste 2 pips on a supposed 33% chance at 1000 damage ( and like ElIemental Blast, usually you get ice, the lowest )

3:Storm has low health to begin with, so we have to hit hard and fast to even have a chance!
4:We fizzle the most, so, if we can, use spells, and enchantments to get a spell to work 70, 80, 90, and even 100% of the time, which would take a lot of other casting and costs, would we not then earn that right?
5:We are trying to keep all the schools in balance, yet, this clearly takes a great spell from storm. Yet, we are now giving Ice an amulet that gives a +45 attack blade, plus you can have pet with DragonBlade, Plus other enchantments, to make their attacks very very powerful, plus they can steal your shields, have lots of tower shields, and have resistance to all magic. Meanwhile, Balance, there is only tower shield that will protect you, and that is an ice spell, unless you buy them, and at most we can only get 5, unless you buy them, they have 125 per pip judgement spell, plus blades, hex, add feints in, and without shields or dispel, your done for, especially with low health. So, we are trying to keep the playing field even, right?

Either make the spell have a 0 pip cost, which would then be fair, or make it be 200 or 1000 damage a 50/50 chance, that way, it would be fair.

_
Another thing, nobody will use the spell if there is only a 23.3% (70% accuracy divided by one third chance of doing 1000 damage) chance of hitting a 1000 damage hit. KI would just be better off removing the spell all together.

On a lighter note, to find a comprimise, the change could only be effective in PvP. I think the whole reason KI changed the spell is because the PvPers hated it. Storm PvPers may be mad, but I think thats where the change originated, and everyone else suffered for it.

I see this as very unfair, so please change wild bolt back to its incredible, powerful, loved and missed by diviners everywhere, self.

David Stormhunter, Grandmaster Pyromancer, Savior of the Spiral
David Dragonhunter, Master Diviner, Oni Slayer
David Earthheart, Initate Theurgist, Wizard City Protector
David, Adept Sorcerer, Mastermind
David Deathwielder, Apprentice Necromaancer, Hero of Unicorn Way

Not only storm PvPers miss it and are mad about it!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
This change has turned storm into a bad joke! Sure you hit hard when you hit. But unless you have someone with you on full time healing duty. You are defeated before you get to hit. Personally I think if the programmers can't solo every mob battle as every class. They should be fired.

Survivor
Dec 05, 2009
Im not a storm wizard, but this seems like a very good change. Before, It had a 1 in 10 chance, I mean, COME ON! If I got that from beating krockatpia I'd try to give wizard 101 a virus (I probably could, If I knew where my old computer was. It got fried from a virus. But Im not a storm mage, so don't worry). Now it has about a 1 in 4 chance if you factor in the accuracy. And it has 1/2 a chance of doing real damage. (is 10 dmg really usefull?)

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
maxitola2009 wrote:
akifoniq99 wrote:
maxitola2009 wrote:
akifoniq99 wrote:
I do like this new change. Storm's wild bolt could get up to 70% easily and be used VERY easily to be almost invincible. Also, storm has many great attacks ( I not gonna say anything about defense) and no other school ever had a 2 pip killing machine! Now that the wild bolt problem is fixed, all the schools are now 100% even. But this is not the last of my least favorite spells! I am coming after you judgement! XD :P

Luke ThunderShade
Level 60 myth

This is proof PvP has gone way too far!

Who says this is about pvp? LOL! I just dont like judgment.

Why don't you like it? What's so bad about having a balance friend help you kill the enemies? Apparently this is about PvP.

Whats the big deal! Chill! I just saying I do NOT like judgment. Beside, I already a warlord and getting tired of pvp. Also, I like balance but I do not just like that spell. Do not add extra details to my post assuming I think of that. Okay then. Done. End of sentence.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Kaboom88 wrote:
Im not a storm wizard, but this seems like a very good change. Before, It had a 1 in 10 chance, I mean, COME ON! If I got that from beating krockatpia I'd try to give wizard 101 a virus (I probably could, If I knew where my old computer was. It got fried from a virus. But Im not a storm mage, so don't worry). Now it has about a 1 in 4 chance if you factor in the accuracy. And it has 1/2 a chance of doing real damage. (is 10 dmg really usefull?)

It is a good thing you are not a storm wizard, considering your math. Wait a second, given your math, you work for KI, don't you!

First off, 1 in 4 chance if you factor in accuracy? accuracy being what, 70%?
so, you have a 70% chance of hitting a spell, for 2 PIPs, that can do 10, 100, or 1000 damage.

Ok, starting the game, my wand did 70 damage, at level 25, my wand did 90 damage, at 45 my wands did 100 damage. All of these, cost 0 pips to use.

So, you are saying, that 100 is a lot of damage? for 2 pips? Is that what you are saying? Because you did say, it has 1/2 a chance of doing real damage!
Not 1/3 if it hits, being that it is 70% accuracy. So, out of 70% accuracy, if it hits, according to you, 1/2 a chance is for real damage, although, to me, 10 and 100 is a total waste of pips! So, a total waste of a spell.

Now, on the other hand, once a storm becomes Level 58 and has critical gear with gargantuan, then the spell is still Overpowered. WildBolt Can hit from 1000 to 4000 damage with critical and rarely ever fizzle. So, is the spell still not broken? Why change it to affect all the lower levels when it was great for them, if it was just overpowered at Celestia? Now, it still can be overpowering but just useless to anyone below level 58. How is that fair?

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
Kaboom88 wrote:
Im not a storm wizard, but this seems like a very good change. Before, It had a 1 in 10 chance

Umm...and this is why you know nothing about how the spell worked. With accuracy gear/cards/pets, it was easy to get near 50% accuracy (had you even bothered to read previous pages and posts you would have figured this out), so yeah...plenty of reason to be angry. 1 in 2 chance was quite easy to achieve...

So no, NOT a very good change.

Hey KI, are you even bothering to hear us anymore about this issue? Or are you hoping we just all get tired of complaining and we will forget about it, cause that is not going to happen i assure you.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
cmullins wrote:
Used Spell For Sale!

Wild Bolt Spell Card
Low Miles, Great Condition

Willing to negotiate on price.

Open to trades. A nice stick and a couple of rocks will do as a trade.
(probably be more useful too)

:(

How about a fair trade, both cost two pips, i'll trade ya fire elf spell for it. :P

On my storm i never used it anyways. Is never in my deck because the twenty one times i used it i fizzled twenty one times so i never cared much for it either way.

:-)

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
arollison wrote:
I think the change is adequate and fair, and I will tell you why. There is no other school that has the opportunity to do 1000+ damage with 2 pips. I am a balance gm and I have to wait 5 rounds (if I get power pips each round) to hit judgment at 1000, not including gear, pet and boosts.

If you were to change wild bolt back to its original state, I would not be upset, however, I believe requiring more pips would even things out. Perhaps since all the storms are complaining (even though they have lord and triton), KI will change the bolt back to its original state. If they do, I hope they will require more pips. It takes the other schools building up pips to do any damage too.

I agree 100%

Like i said earlier, i never use wb anymore because of the fizzles. But in my opinion it was unfair the way it was with only needing two pips for a high hit where other schools required many more pips. I have been in a fight stacking my prey when some storm jumps in and in same round uses wb and kills all my stacking in first round. Not very fair i would say. Also isn't storm the hardest hitting school as it is? I understand the health issue with storm, I have a legendary storm and her health is kind of well embarrassing. So yes i agree that storms health could use a boost but that would also make storm nearly impossible to take down as well.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirdy Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
darthjt wrote:
arollison wrote:
I think the change is adequate and fair, and I will tell you why. There is no other school that has the opportunity to do 1000+ damage with 2 pips. I am a balance gm and I have to wait 5 rounds (if I get power pips each round) to hit judgment at 1000, not including gear, pet and boosts.

If you were to change wild bolt back to its original state, I would not be upset, however, I believe requiring more pips would even things out. Perhaps since all the storms are complaining (even though they have lord and triton), KI will change the bolt back to its original state. If they do, I hope they will require more pips. It takes the other schools building up pips to do any damage too.

Ok first off, Being Balance, you have spells that only Tower shield can block. Secondly, we can not put any stop spell on you. Third, you have 85% accuracy. Fourth, you have 700 more health than storm.

Ok, what was your complaint again?

Oh yeah thats right, its not fair that storm has a spell that has 10% chance of working that does that much damage. And it is also not fair that there is no Balance shield, or dispel Balance, or a serious permanent mega health boost for storm. Nothing is fair in the world, sorry.

But, KI said they listened to their community, but 62% of the people said they did not like the change to Wild bolt, 28% did and 10% did not care. If this is how they calculate their percentages, and I think it is, then Wildbolt has about 2% chance of hitting for 1000. USELESS!

Just a Wild guess here but I would imagine that the 62% you are referring to are probably mostly if not all storm school or lower levels using the treasures. With a high probability of them being PVP'ers. So yes you would all want and expect KI to leave it as it was.

And yes each school has their differences but, in the past year seeing it and watching people every day complain about the OVER USE of wb, and not just storm school using it either. I can't think of any other spell that I have seen used as much on a daily basis in any other school as wb.

Also how many people can say they use every single school spell they have in their decks all the time? None that i know of. There have been many changes made that I feel have been unfair to my kind but others wanted and embraced the changes. Can't please every one all of the time.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirdy Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback, we are listening!

For those of you who are wondering where your posts went, swearing at us is not only going to result in your post being rejected, but you may find yourself expelled from Wizard101.

Please keep this civilized.

Here are the reasons. 1: You waste 2 pips on a supposed 33% chance at 1000 damage ( and like Elemental Blast, usually you get ice, the lowest )

I noticed you never mentioned Life in there. So having next to no attacks and until the new schools came about, no multi attacks either. All Life can do is keep healing themselves while they take umteen rounds to heal stack heal stack heal stack then attack. Hmmm wonder how many pips have to be used to get in a mediocre attack at best? And what was your complaint again? Oh yes that you have to waste TWO pips.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
Draco0209 wrote:
We all HAVE tried the new bolt on the test and found it completly worthless.
How many need to say it?What surprises me is that KI believes this is a reasonable change.As a subscriber with 3 accounts in my family(tatal of 11
grandmasters)I can tell you we are very unhappy with this change.Over 60%
of the community hates this according to the poll,yet KI STILL put in the live
game.WHY? If you were actully listening to your subscibers you would not
have made this blunder.Do we need to cancel our subscritions to get your
attention?As a player that has all grandmasters in all the schools I'm speaking from expierience when i say bolt as it is now is useless.Please listen
THIS time to what we are telling you.Did anyone on the staff try this?I
cant imagine they did or THEY would have told you it wasting pips to caste
this spell.

No WE all HAVE NOT tried the new bolt in test, only the ones here complaining i would imagine. I myself have not and many others I know have not as well. Not everyone can access the test realm when new things come about to test. I can but am not always on or just go straight to the game. Of course it wasn't important to me to test it so i didn't, as i believe many many others didn't for the same reason. The only school who actually tested it was pretty much storm, so in my opinion the poll was useless seeing as it was mainly storm school responding. Where is the sense in that? I am surprised only 62% said keep as it was! LOL

We have several accounts here as well and i find that it is very immature to make threats to cancel subscriptions especially over TWO pips. I have a Storm Legendary that got that far in game because she is VERY POWERFUL. Have never once used wild bolt, well not once that worked anyways. I gave up and took it out of my deck a long time ago. Not crying over spilled milk that's for sure.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
greco55 wrote:
wild bolt is wrong now, i wasted two pips for a 10 damage hit? if i used the sword i would have hit for a larger damage and it not cost me two pips. you need to change it to 250, 500 or 1000 or change the hit, if it hits at 10 or 100 then no pips are used. OR change the spell to 50% accuracy with a 750 hit damage, 70% accuracy with 500, 750 or 1000 hit damage.
OR make it a repeating spell at 90% accuracy 300 first hit 350 second round and 350 the last round, that way the opponents can shield the rest of the damage.

Or here's a thought. How about make it seventy five %, with 50 hit damage then an 70 hit then another 70 hit then another 70 hit. Oh wait then that would make it like the fire elf spell that also takes 2 pips.

Storm has all powerful attacks i don't understand all the complaining. Look at Storm Shark, it takes just 3 pips and does 375 - 435 before buffs. Is there another school that has that high a spell at 3 pips? How about Tempest? Similar to judgement but no comparison really with the attack bonuses storm gear has. Or Kraken even? That's 520 - 580 for 4 pips! The only thing that comes even close to that is spectral blast which could be between 365 - 550, the 550 being the storm attack. Then there is Stormzilla 5 pips 650 - 730 no other 5 pip spell compares. How about Triton 6 pips 795 - 875 or oh Lordy! 7 pips 690 damage to ALL and a stun. The next closest to Lord would be Ice with Frost Giant 7 pips at a measly 475 damage to ALL and a stun. Other one would be Fire with Fire Dragon 7 pips 450 damage with 351 over 3 rounds which is not instant with no stun. No comparison yet again. Oh lets not forget windstorm, a trap with just one pip goes on all opponents not just one. Does any other school have anything like that? And of course there is also the amulet that gives you a second stackable windstorm with higher stats. WOW sounds like everyone should delete all their characters and create all Storm's. So when you look at the big picture, in every way you look at it, Storm has a leg up on ALL the pip spells.

Storm has always been very powerful compared to all other schools. Storm has ALL good spells learn to use them instead of just relying on one very low level spell. Everyone is complaining about having to take out wild bolt from their decks. Do you all use all of the other spells as well or did you take some of them out of your deck a long time ago? No one uses all of the spells they have in the same deck they use. And yes health is lower, but could you imagine if health was the same and all storm's attacks were all more powerful than all other school's? Wizard would become a world of storm vs storm.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
rupertjames wrote:
MordanTheGreat wrote:
After getting bolted by the mobs in the Grotto that have an uncanny ability to hit at 1000, I vote to eliminate this spell! LOL

Yep i agree that storm will be better off having any other spell because at least then we might be able to use it, instead of leaving it out of our decks.

Funny you say that mobs hit 1000 all the time, because that is exactly my opinion too. i dont think i have ever seen them hit anything but 1000, and once one got critical on me with a blade and wild bolt and killed me off first turn (his friend put the blade on him)

The MOBS in the Grotto or anywhere else in Celestia have their own rules. The bosses cheat but we can't its just the way it is. They have low health but dang look at their pips! Chances are the majority of times they will get first go as well. The odds will always be in their favor. The new world in the spiral is different from all others in the fact that it is a grand world so it is more of a challenge. In my questing there everyone i quested with loved the fact that it was such a challenge. Its what the grand people needed after wandering around the other worlds farming and running to others aid. Not that that was a bad thing just got kind of boring after awhile. But i have taken hits anywhere from 7 to over a grand from the mobs there using bolt. Most often it has been at the lower end thankfully.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
Akylax wrote:
I just canceled my subscription because of this. I had grown to really enjoy my storm. Wild Bolt was great because I had some control over it -- I could try to get my accuracy up with Keen Eyes and other spells and gear.

But now it's just another boring spell.

See ya, Wizard 101.

I suspect many more will be following suit unless legitimate complaints are addressed,and those with no merit are left alone.

Now I guess that was a mature thing to do right? Yay another whiner gone! And maybe more to follow? Sweet! See ya :)

Oh by the way did you happen to notice that there is over 10 million people who play wizard101? They must be doing something right. Can't please everyone on everything so deal with it like anyone who else who doesn't get everything they want.

Also I would bet my wild bolts (why not they are collecting dust) that the people who said they will or did quit actually haven't. If they did they are probably back by now because lets face it, storm isn't the only school and dang this game is so addictive to just walk away over to pips!

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
EternalDamned wrote:
This change has turned storm into a bad joke! Sure you hit hard when you hit. But unless you have someone with you on full time healing duty. You are defeated before you get to hit. Personally I think if the programmers can't solo every mob battle as every class. They should be fired.

I disagree 100%. Like someone else posted earlier, you all make it sound like storm has just one spell! OMG

I can't believe most of the people who posted here. Then i have no idea how i managed to get to grand on my storm in a few weeks let alone to legendary in 2 days with never ever using wild bolt. Hard to believe i was actually able to solo plenty of Celestia on my own as well on my storm but no where near it on my other schools go figure. Must mean they are all weak schools and a joke! Oh and news flash that isn't the only card i never use.

We get it, a small % of the over 10 million players are upset over a change they obviously relied too much upon in the game and can't deal with it or get over it. Storm is 14.285 % of the schools like the other 6 are. So actually the 62% who voted against the change are 62% of the 14.285% which would be 8.85%. Ball park but not such a big number now is it? And that would only be accurate if 100% of all the storms voted which is highly unlikely, I know i didn't. So how many people actually voted in that poll? So that 62% could be of what 200 voters? 1000 voters? 2000? Not much compared to over 10 million i would say.

As for having to have a full time healer with you, why not spend half the energy that you spend on gear and treasures and enhancements to get better control of wild bolt and solving that problem yourself? So many Storm's before and after you have, what makes you so special? I also have a Life Legend who gets asked to come along and give a hand, nothing wrong with that. There are so many Life people out there who love to help, that is why most of them chose the healing school go figure.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Armiger
May 10, 2010
ZoeC010 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

For those of you who are wondering where your posts went, swearing at us is not only going to result in your post being rejected, but you may find yourself expelled from Wizard101.

Here are the reasons. 1: You waste 2 pips on a supposed 33% chance at 1000 damage ( and like Elemental Blast, usually you get ice, the lowest )

I noticed you never mentioned Life in there. So having next to no attacks and until the new schools came about, no multi attacks either. All Life can do is keep healing themselves while they take umteen rounds to heal stack heal stack heal stack then attack. Hmmm wonder how many pips have to be used to get in a mediocre attack at best? And what was your complaint again? Oh yes that you have to waste TWO pips.

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Ok, this is the rudest player ever! Before you decide, to Post to everyone and especially try and quote numbers and statistics, learn how to do Math!

Next, actually give a good arguement, besides, oh, it makes the game a bit more challenging! I have stated my Opinion on Both Sides of this Issue and Apparently, your lack of intelligence prevents you from understanding the simplest grasps of reality.

I will not waste any more time replying to you or your comments, until you actually have a valid point. Learn to be Civilized and actually acknowledge that people do have a legitament complaint.

As for you comment about life, how about we take fairy, a 480 heal and make it heal for 10, 20, 0r 480! lol See how that works!

Seriously, where do people who post get the idea they should?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, unfortunately, some people do!

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
I think that the wild bolt change was a bit drastic and my main character is not even storm so I want to propose a change, you can change wild bolt as 4 pip cost, 30% accuracy and 1000 damage storm.

Survivor
Apr 10, 2010
they messed up wild bolt it shocked me when they did that considerinnga that i have a storm student

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I have followed this thread and several other related threads for some time now. Most of the new posts either rehash the same arguments, or are written by someone who clearly does not wish to read the entire thread. It occurred to me that it may be useful to have a post which summarizes all the salient points. In the interest of maximum usefulness, I will summarize the points separately from my opinions. Please reply if you feel I missed anything.

Damage Arguments
1. Damage of 10 or 100 is too low for a storm spell.
2. Wands can do more damage.
3. Storm is the most powerful school so the old bolt makes sense.

Strategic Arguments
1. Bolt has no strategic value anymore.
2. The old bolt was an equalizer for Storm's low health.
3. The new bolt wastes pips, traps, and blades.
4. Wild bolt isn't "wild" anymore.

Class Comparative Arguments
1. Does any other school have a spell that wastes pips?
2. Class x has attribute y and the old bolt was an equalizer.
3. The new critical system is KI giving every class a chance of bolt.

Customer Service Arguments
1. Much time and real money have been invested in items to help accuracy.
2. This change was made just because of PvP.
3. KI didn't listen to the community, the poll showed 62% disapproved of the new bolt.
4. If KI changes this spell, what might they do to the other spells?
5. The new wild bolt wasn't thought out, it and was "rushed" like Celestia.

Miscellaneous Arguments
1. The new bolt doesn't actually hit 33% of the time for 10, 100, and 1000.
2. Why couldn't they have just capped the old bolt at x% accuracy?
3. Why would they even add the 30% unstoppable card in the first place?

That completes the summary of points I have gleaned from the thread.

My Opinions
Before I address each point, I would like to assert that the old bolt was broken and in need of repair. Any spell that can deal 1000 base damage for 2 pips MUST be mitigated because it is wildly stronger than any other spell in the game on a per pip basis, even when compared to gargantuan versions of any other spell. The closest competitor I could find is a gargantuan thunder snake which only comes to 395 per pip at maximum damage, still 105 less than bolt.

The only real way to objectively compare spells would be to calculate an expected damage per pip score for each spell like so: (Average Damage / Pip Cost) * Accuracy. This figure would represent the amount of damage which you can expect to inflict on an enemy with repeated use of the spell over time. At just 40% accuracy, the old bolt jumps from its initial EDPP of 50, to an EDPP of 200. To put that in perspective, the EDPP of triton (the next closest EDPP score in the game) at 100% accuracy and assuming it always hits for the maximum possible base damage only comes in at 145.833.

Since it is widely acknowledged (and I believe largely undisputed) in this thread that it was common for bolt to be boosted to around 70% with just gear and enchantment cards (51% pre-celestia which does include a pet), it should also be acknowledged that it was broken and in need of repair. The moment you were able to get the effective accuracy above 40% using only gear and enchantment cards, bolt went from being "broken" to "wildly broken". It is with these opening assertions in mind that I continue addressing each point with my opinion.

Damage Argument Opinions
Damage of 10 or 100 isn't too low if it can also hit 1000. While I don't agree with the design decision from a strategic standpoint, the new wildbolt is mathematically still stronger on an EDPP basis that most other spells. It is true that wands can do more than 10 damage for 0 pips, but they also do not have a chance at 1000. Storm has never been said to be the most powerful class, just the most damaging. There is nothing anywhere in the storm class (or the rest of the game for that matter) that justifies an EDPP score of 350 (Old Bolt at 70% accuracy) when the average EDPP score of any other storm damage spell at 100% accuracy hovers just shy of 140.

Strategic Argument Opinions
While I wouldn't go so far as to say that bolt no longer has any strategic value, it has most certainly been substantially deflated. It is now "wild" in terms of damage instead of accuracy and also has the dubious honor of being the first spell I can think of to attain a third tactical state. While every other damage spell is either tactically benign (fizzles) or useful (hits), bolt can be tactically detrimental in that a score of 10 or 100 will effectively waste two pips (compared to a wand which will do similar or greater damage for 0 pips) and waste any traps or blades (again compared to a wand from a different school) which have been placed for a more tactically assured storm spell. The chance of a detrimental outcome actually increases as the spell becomes more accurate which is counter to every other spell in the game. I reject the notion that bolt was somehow intended to be an equalizer for Storm's low health, but I acknowledge that it had tremendous tactical value before the change and has now been reduced to a niche spell.

Class Comparative Argument Opinions
Every school has at least one spell which is a waste of pips in the same sense that the new bolt wastes pips in all but a handful of situations. Comparing any other school to Storm and then asserting that bolt was an equalizer for that difference is disingenuous at best. So too is asserting that the new critical system is a way to give every other class wild bolt damage. I acknowledge that there are things which should be looked at and evaluated in other classes, but criticals can be blocked simply by having gear with a block rating (as opposed to bolt cast on an unshielded opponent). I further need to point out that since a critical effectively ups your damage multiplier by 100%, storm has more to gain from this system than any other class because they have the highest base damage in the game.

Customer Service Argument Opinions
The change to wild bolt is a big deal because many customers put a huge amount of time and money (often real money in the from of crowns) into obtaining items and pets which could be used to boost storm accuracy specifically for the purpose of making bolt more useful. The change as it stands now makes much (if not most) of that work futile. I am of the opinion that KI should come up with a third option for bolt. However, I do believe that KI was listening to the larger group of customers when they decided to change bolt.

I acknowledge that it was a HUGE public relations mistake for KI to author a poll which ended up showing that 62% of people hated the change to wild bolt. But if you think that poll was representative of the larger 10 million strong Wizard 101 customer base then I think you are naive. The total number of participants in that survey never topped a couple thousand. Just look at the number of views on the wild bolt thread vs. the "Are there many older gamers playing W101?" thread in Ravenwood Commons. It should be clear that the majority interest in that survey was comprised of the people who relied on bolt and didn't like the change.

In much the same way it is assumed in this thread that the only complaints about bolt came from PvP folks who lost. I think that is a wrong assumption as well because it is clear from perusing these forums that bolt has been considered a problem for a very long time. I personally know a lot of people who used to complain about Storm players who used bolt in PvE. You can chalk it up to jealousy, but it chapped people's hides that in addition to having an arsenal of the most damaging spells in the game, Storm also got a 2 pip spell which could take a strong enemy out on round one with no boosts.

Particularly because this is an all ages game where much of the revenue comes from kids who are notoriously less objective than adults, I think its safe to say that KI was protecting their revenue stream. I think that a lot of thought was put into the change, but I don't think that programmers think about those changes in the same way that the rest of us do. In other words, I think that a lot of positive tactical applications were overlooked in favor of preserving the term "wild" while keeping the expected damage per pip closer to the rest of Storm's spells.

No one likes change, even when its for the better. That is just human nature. It is natural to defend something that was clearly out of balance for fear of something you use being the next target. For what its worth, I don't think that KI has demonstrated any willingness to change things simply because people complain. I think that they try very hard to listen to their customer base and try to only change those things that are thought to be clearly broken.

Miscellaneous Argument Opinions
I believe firmly that when the new bolt hits, there is a one in three chance of doing 10, 100, or 1000 damage contrary to many assertions made in this thread. This post is not meant to be a primer on statistical averages or computer programming, but I will say that I find it highly unlikely that with a sufficiently large sample size (likely 1000 casts or more of a spell) that you will find a statistically significant deviation from the published accuracies on any of these spells. As to why you couldn't just cap the old wild bolt to x% accuracy... well, depending on the suggestion, it may simply not be that easy to implement in the game. Finally... Why would they even add the 30% unstoppable card in the first place? I believe that to be primarily for the use of storm spells by characters who use them as a secondary school and therefore do not benefit from gear accuracy boosts.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
darthjt wrote:
ZoeC010 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Storm Legendary
Life Legendary
Death Legendary
Myth Legendary
Fire Lvl Forty
Ice Lvl Thirty Two

Ok, this is the rudest player ever! Before you decide, to Post to everyone and especially try and quote numbers and statistics, learn how to do Math!

Next, actually give a good arguement, besides, oh, it makes the game a bit more challenging! I have stated my Opinion on Both Sides of this Issue and Apparently, your lack of intelligence prevents you from understanding the simplest grasps of reality.

I will not waste any more time replying to you or your comments, until you actually have a valid point. Learn to be Civilized and actually acknowledge that people do have a legitament complaint.

As for you comment about life, how about we take fairy, a 480 heal and make it heal for 10, 20, 0r 480! lol See how that works!

Seriously, where do people who post get the idea they should?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, unfortunately, some people do!

He (ZoeC010) is obviously anti-storm, i mean come on, 10 posts in a row, TEN IN A ROW, screaming about how good the change is, how fair it is, how we should "get over it", despite the masses of Storm Wizards who are disgusted with the change. Were you (Zoe) bolted one too many times in PVP and are trying your hardest to convince KI that they did the right thing so your PVP days are more fun? Ah that's right, you represent all the PVE players as well and hope your insane wall of posts will change the minds of anyone who used Wild Bolt pre-Celestia, and used it WELL. Sorry, not gonna happen.

You can keep ranting via your walls of complete garbage, the fact is, Wild Bolt WAS a great spell, it WAS extremely useful, and people relied on it because they spent weeks or even months getting the Accuracy needed to make that spell shine. Oh, spending alot of real cash as well, JUST for that one spell. Any Wild Bolt user before this "change" has every right to be sick of what KI did to it.