Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spelling and Grammar: Why They're Important

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 18, 2010
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
Yes totally. Ppl who you dont even no, can easily tell wheter your a good person or not just by how you spell. DUDE GIVE HIM A BREAK!

I am a woman not a dude. No I won't give him a break. It is a bad idea to threaten other people. You don't know who you are threatening.

Megan-who will now stay on topic here.

BTW-I do think a spell check and grammar check would be lovely on these boards. I do have spell check through a toolbar. I believe I got from a popular search engine that begins with "Go".

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:
look if the game didnt even exist the message boards woulnt either. plus you dare YOU say that to me. if you met me irl you would be to scared to say that.

David-many of us posting here are adults. While I understand talking tough is very hip in school (especially junior high). I would suggest here it is not. The person you are addressing is an adult. I highly doubt they would be afraid of you in real life.

We all understand these boards would not exist if the game did not. The point is about any board you post on using the internet. Your words, spelling and grammar paint a picture of you that millions of people can see and form. Frankly, I have rather unflattering image of you from your words and actions here. What is sad is that image may be far from the real you. I have no way of knowing. If I met you in real life you would have a very hard time changing my mind. Later in life these things can haunt you and hurt you. They can cost you money and jobs.

People in game have commented how nice I am. That is because of my words and actions. I make them reflect who I really am. I try hard to live by "Do unto others as you would have them do to you.". In other words I treat others how I expect them to treat me. I weigh my words and actions carefully . They have very real repercussions.

Megan

um thats cause you dont know who my friends are and who i am. maybe i caption of wrestling team. maybe my friends can beat people up in one punch, which they dont cause they nice, but they can. and i dont think your nice by
the way you talk to me. and i might not be in junior high but i might. you dont know any of that so just dont say that stuff any more

I have no idea where to even start on this post. As many have said before, this forum thread is to put the idea of spelling/grammar checking onto the boards. You have just proved the deep need for that. Apparently my friend Megan has offended you. Knowing her though, that was not her intent. Threatening and malicious intent is offensive to all here. And your utter lack of understanding show you as nothing but an immature bully. In game it is optimal to not use proper grammar and spelling. What the posters here are asking for, is a way to make sure that threads can be understood by all. It requires at least some understanding of the English language; spoken and written. Alas, I must also jump to the defense of the people not quite so eloquent. Sometimes it is easier and faster in today's world for shortcuts, and shorthand. A lot of children do not read as much as they can or should, in this world of gaming and technology. Therefore, they do not realize that they are using improper grammar or spelling. Some leniency is required as well. Understanding can come from both directions. It can come across as being a bully from both sides.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Spelling and grammar are important because humans require a standard means by which to share information. It is especially important for children and adults to cultivate adequate literacy in writing in this Age of Information.

Consider: How often does a person attempt to share information with another person via writing? Although previous ages have allowed us to rely primarily on verbal communication to share information, the current age is increasingly text-based. If a person can't write well, he or she severely limits his/her ability to communicate with other people.

Writing well IS possible in the context of e-mail, text, and in-game chat. For example, to cite a previous opposing example, "heal then attack, plz" isn't so hard to type, it takes less than 3 seconds to produce the request to "heal and then attack, please", and the language is rather standard for in-game chat. Not only is the abbreviated text readable, it is acceptable to the filters, and it is also polite.

Further, from my PoV as the director of a remedial writing program at a college, if you don't learn to write well, young wizards, you will find yourself placed in remedial classes when you try to attend college. Essentially, if you don't learn proper writing skills in elementary, middle, and high school, you WILL BE REQUIRED to learn those skills before you will be allowed to enroll in college courses. There's not much worse than learning that you have to take middle-school language classes at the beginning of your college career. Trust me on this.

(BTW, around 60% of entering college freshmen are placed in remedial reading and writing courses. Does this tell us anything about the effectiveness of public education in the US?)

Finally, as several of the wonderfully articulate authors in this thread have mentioned, a cyber trail is difficult-to-impossible to erase. Every time a person posts a message in a public forum such as this one, he/she leaves a record of his/her intellectual abilities. A cyber-reputation is a terrible thing to waste.

Oh and, lest I forget the focus of the original message, PLEASE KI, give us some good editing tools in-forum.

Write well,

Iridian Shadowweaver, Grandmaster Theurgist
Rowan Earthsong, Grandmaster Sorceress
Scarlet Ravensong, Master Pyromancer
Alexandria Dreamwalker, Adept Conjurer

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Spelling and grammar are important because humans require a standard means by which to share information. It is especially important for children and adults to cultivate adequate literacy in writing in this Age of Information.

Consider: How often does a person attempt to share information with another person via writing? Although previous ages have allowed us to rely primarily on verbal communication to share information, the current age is increasingly text-based. If a person can't write well, he or she severely limits his/her ability to communicate with other people.

Writing well IS possible in the context of e-mail, text, and in-game chat. For example, to cite a previous opposing example, "heal then attack, plz" isn't so hard to type, it takes less than 3 seconds to produce the request to "heal and then attack, please", and the language is rather standard for in-game chat. Not only is the abbreviated text readable, it is acceptable to the filters, and it is also polite.

Further, from my PoV as the director of a remedial writing program at a college, if you don't learn to write well, young wizards, you will find yourself placed in remedial classes when you try to attend college. Essentially, if you don't learn proper writing skills in elementary, middle, and high school, you WILL BE REQUIRED to learn those skills before you will be allowed to enroll in college courses. There's not much worse than learning that you have to take middle-school language classes at the beginning of your college career. Trust me on this.

(BTW, around 60% of entering college freshmen are placed in remedial reading and writing courses. Does this tell us anything about the effectiveness of public education in the US?)

Finally, as several of the wonderfully articulate authors in this thread have mentioned, a cyber trail is difficult-to-impossible to erase. Every time a person posts a message in a public forum such as this one, he/she leaves a record of his/her intellectual abilities. A cyber-reputation is a terrible thing to waste.

Oh and, lest I forget the focus of the original message, PLEASE KI, give us some good editing tools in-forum.

Write well,

Iridian Shadowweaver, Grandmaster Theurgist
Rowan Earthsong, Grandmaster Sorceress
Scarlet Ravensong, Master Pyromancer
Alexandria Dreamwalker, Adept Conjurer

First, I think I speak for everyone when I say FINALLY! A credible voice of reason! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to give your professional opinion on this matter. That statistic is harrowing to say the least, and seeing some of the posts in this Forum I'm devastated to say I only see it getting worse over time...

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
um thats cause you dont know who my friends are and who i am. maybe i caption of wrestling team. maybe my friends can beat people up in one punch, which they dont cause they nice, but they can. and i dont think your nice by the way you talk to me. and i might not be in junior high but i might. you dont know any of that so just dont say that stuff any more

You're right. We don't know who you or your friends are. We don't know if you're the captain of your middle school wrestling team with a bunch of juicehead gorilla friends (that's C-A-P-T-A-I-N; you can't be the "caption" of your wrestling team because a caption is a short description or title accompanying an illustration in a printed text), or some elementary school weakling with a big mouth and a computer. We don't know if you're truly threatening or just a compulsive liar; then again we don't care because we don't know you and have no way of finding out who you are in real life. You might as well just stop showing off. That, however, doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much as you pretty much telling FireFan02 to shut up. She has the privilege to say whatever she pleases and shouldn't apologize for putting you in your place. You voluntarily posted negative comments on this thread; the fact that you're incredibly sensitive and can't take what you dish out doesn't make what she said harsh. In fact, I think she stated her opinion in a very civil way, while you on the other hand stated your opinions in a very rude and immature way. You got what you asked for.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:
I have no idea where to even start on this post. As many have said before, this forum thread is to put the idea of spelling/grammar checking onto the boards. You have just proved the deep need for that. Apparently my friend Megan has offended you. Knowing her though, that was not her intent. Threatening and malicious intent is offensive to all here. And your utter lack of understanding show you as nothing but an immature bully. In game it is optimal to not use proper grammar and spelling. What the posters here are asking for, is a way to make sure that threads can be understood by all. It requires at least some understanding of the English language; spoken and written. Alas, I must also jump to the defense of the people not quite so eloquent. Sometimes it is easier and faster in today's world for shortcuts, and shorthand. A lot of children do not read as much as they can or should, in this world of gaming and technology. Therefore, they do not realize that they are using improper grammar or spelling. Some leniency is required as well. Understanding can come from both directions. It can come across as being a bully from both sides.

We know that teachers don't always do their jobs and that people sometimes forget, but I refuse to take that as an excuse. Yes this is the age of technology, but last time I checked people still need to learn spelling and grammar. Kids spend at least 6-7 hours in school; whether it's spent writing or typing, spelling and grammar is still taught. Speed also has nothing to do with this; to me, if you have a QWERTY keyboard in front of you (which you probably do if you're in the Forum) and you're not about to walk out the door in a couple of seconds, you can use proper spelling and grammar. It's not as exhausting as one might think. It's not that I won't attempt to understand why people in the commons don't use proper spelling and grammar; it's that I can't, therefore I refuse to take any excuses for lack of one of the most essential abilities the average person must have to succeed in life.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5, queenlybluebean and all other concerned posters, thank you all for weighing in on this. It truly is so important. It just amazes me people don't understand it is.

Because of my Mom I was drilled in many things at home. Diagramming sentences actually became fun. (When we studied it in school I was ahead of class.) She urged me to take the hardest English teacher in high school. Thank you Mrs. R.! When I went to college a professor complimented my essays. Mrs. R. taught me well. Those skills have served me well.

Thank you too for backing me up on how things you post online make you look and follow you.

I am dismayed about the percentage of young adults needing remedial writing. That could get me started on a whole rant. I firmly believe it would serve our schools well to go back to teaching the three R's, science, art and history. But, I realize today they must teach to certain tests. Sigh

Megan

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:

We know that teachers don't always do their jobs and that people sometimes forget, but I refuse to take that as an excuse. Yes this is the age of technology, but last time I checked people still need to learn spelling and grammar. Kids spend at least 6-7 hours in school; whether it's spent writing or typing, spelling and grammar is still taught. Speed also has nothing to do with this; to me, if you have a QWERTY keyboard in front of you (which you probably do if you're in the Forum) and you're not about to walk out the door in a couple of seconds, you can use proper spelling and grammar. It's not as exhausting as one might think. It's not that I won't attempt to understand why people in the commons don't use proper spelling and grammar; it's that I can't, therefore I refuse to take any excuses for lack of one of the most essential abilities the average person must have to succeed in life.

I feel the need to apologize to you. I reread my post again and realized that I had left out an important part. I feel that the reason children and some adults now speak and write the way they do, is because parents just roll their eyes at the way kids talk. Proper grammar is in not enforced. While you may find it offensive that someone types thx instead of thanks, they do so because that is the way computer language is. Congratulations for having the ability to speak very well. Not all people do. And some really do not understand they are not speaking well. What they do not need is someone speaking down to them. Being polite goes a long way. If you feel the need to correct someone try to do it in a way they won't be offended. Sounds like you are well on your way to being a very good teacher. I hope that you can take this advice to heart: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Yet I do agree with the need for at least a spell checker on boards. It would be very helpful.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010

um thats cause you dont know who my friends are and who i am. maybe i caption of wrestling team. maybe my friends can beat people up in one punch, which they dont cause they nice, but they can. and i dont think your nice by
the way you talk to me. and i might not be in junior high but i might. you dont know any of that so just dont say that stuff any more

Is there any way to get someone banned from the forums? This kid has nothing to offer this thread, and by the looks of it have nothing to offer anything of value to any other thread. He appears to be some wanna-be "troll", and is doing a terrible job at that.

David, my words to you are that we don't care about your friends, nor do we care about your attempt to try and bully someone over the Internet. Instead, you can either contribute to to this thread with a REASONABLE argument, agree with us, or get off. I wish the Moderators would do us a favor by allowing us a way to rid ourselves of his insolence.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:
I feel the need to apologize to you. I reread my post again and realized that I had left out an important part. I feel that the reason children and some adults now speak and write the way they do, is because parents just roll their eyes at the way kids talk. Proper grammar is in not enforced. While you may find it offensive that someone types thx instead of thanks, they do so because that is the way computer language is. Congratulations for having the ability to speak very well. Not all people do. And some really do not understand they are not speaking well. What they do not need is someone speaking down to them. Being polite goes a long way. If you feel the need to correct someone try to do it in a way they won't be offended. Sounds like you are well on your way to being a very good teacher. I hope that you can take this advice to heart: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Yet I do agree with the need for at least a spell checker on boards. It would be very helpful.

First, whoa! Let me make it clear: I'm just talking about using proper spelling and grammar in the Forum. I have nothing against text speak (although I prefer not to see it). I'm talking about you're/your, their/there/they're, to/too/two, who's/whose, misspelling words that you see more than hear (the names of professors, world names, spell names, etc.), and other things like that. Second, again: speaking. Writing. Totally different. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but even though parents just "roll their eyes" at contemporary colloquialisms, I don't get what that has to do with spelling and grammar. Maybe I'm a complete dummy and I just don't see it. Either way, I'll end this by saying I hope you take this advice to heart. There are two kinds of pathetic people in the world: people who do things that are sad, and people who see other people doing sad things and don't do anything to stop it. That's why I correct people and won't apologize for the way in which I do so.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
BrooklynOrcbane wrote:

First, whoa! Let me make it clear: I'm just talking about using proper spelling and grammar in the Forum. I have nothing against text speak (although I prefer not to see it). I'm talking about you're/your, their/there/they're, to/too/two, who's/whose, misspelling words that you see more than hear (the names of professors, world names, spell names, etc.), and other things like that. Second, again: speaking. Writing. Totally different. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but even though parents just "roll their eyes" at contemporary colloquialisms, I don't get what that has to do with spelling and grammar. Maybe I'm a complete dummy and I just don't see it. Either way, I'll end this by saying I hope you take this advice to heart. There are two kinds of pathetic people in the world: people who do things that are sad, and people who see other people doing sad things and don't do anything to stop it. That's why I correct people and won't apologize for the way in which I do so.

I think you both are on the same page believe it or not, just seeing the hows and whys differently. I know my friend was not trying to put you down. She was just trying to explain why this happens. She agrees more than disagrees with you.

A thought for you, sometimes I see just what you are describing but, I also can tell the person's first language is not English. Many times it obviously is and they are clueless. Makes me wonder at what kids today are being taught and how. We learned all kinds of tricks to remember that stuff. I had extra help at home from Mom. I still repeat a lot them to help me. My personal pet peeve is Me and Johnny went to the store. Johnny and I went. Sometimes too you can tell the poster is a young child.

I congratulate your willingness to correct stuff. I know my friend does too. That is how we learn. My daughter just corrected herself. It was followed with, "Oops, Grandma says to say it this way." the "proper" way of course. :D

This thread has certainly been a good and interesting one. I hope it has had made many people more aware of spelling, grammar and how we are made to look by our words.

Megan

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I'm done with trying to respond to a comment or question, but can't because I can hardly read your comment or question. Is it really that much work to use proper spelling and grammar (this includes punctuation as well)? I know that the majority of people who post in the Forum are kids who will respond saying, "This is the Internet! We can spell however we want to, no matter how uneducated it makes us look!" However, that's no excuse for butchering the English language so badly that you become completely incoherent. I think a solution to this problem would be if KI added a Spelling and Grammar option to the Forum. Of course the easier solution would be to pay attention in English class, but the first solution seems more likely to actually happen.
This is also how we talk when texting and many younger adults talk like this to.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
We have made it abundantly clear that we would like to speak to people (on these forums) who appear to have some kind of education in order for us to have the luxury of being able to understand them. And unfortunately, I think we are beating a dead horse because people will continue to act as if they don't have a clue in their heads. They'd like to choose to act as if they are uneducated. Why would someone choose to act like a dummy? I have no clue, but apparently, stupidity is the new "Hip". We can tell David is a big fan, right David? This is an uphill battle and I am not getting paid enough to continue trying to right the wrongs their parents should have taken care of a long time ago. Good luck with this, Akihiro! Maybe the forum moderators will one day put in some software that can educate people, like the new Microsoft Word 2010 has for checking all sorts of grammatical errors.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bravevline wrote:
This is also how we talk when texting and many younger adults talk like this to.

"...too," but you're not texting, are you? This is the Forum, and if you read the rest of the thread you'd see I mentioned that I text too, but I don't text here. I type so that everyone can understand what I'm saying.

Survivor
Oct 12, 2010
I think the reson some pepole are like that is because they might have learning problems and not be able to use proper gramer that well just saying :D

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bravevline wrote:

"...too," but you're not texting, are you? This is the Forum, and if you read the rest of the thread you'd see I mentioned that I text too, but I don't text here. I type so that everyone can understand what I'm saying.

its just a part of this generation lay off.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
bravevline wrote:

It is fine to talk that way when texting. It is not okay to come to a forum like this and do it. Just 'cause you CAN do it does not mean you SHOULD.

These forums are a place to exchange ideas and information. Text speak does not do that in a good manner. You need to remember not everyone reading and posting here speaks English as their first language. Why don't find a text translator online and translate your text speak to a foreign language. Want to bet it will be gibberish? Not to mention some people like myself just don't get it.

Once again I remind a young person that millions of people can be reading these forums and judging you by how you post here. This is a lesson you need to learn. How you look, write and speak can get or lose you a job. It can cause you to get or not get raises and help or hinder advancement in education and employment.

If you want a break text your friends not readers on these forums.

Megan

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009

No, I won't "lay off". I'm part of the generation, and that has nothing to do with it. Proper spelling and grammar is not some archaic concept that goes out of style; like many of the posters on this thread have said over, and over, and over, it's easier for people to read and makes you look smarter and more credible. Why am I wasting my time with you? You're obviously comfortable with being inarticulate, and looking uncouth and ignorant. Why should I try and change you?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
BrutalTooth wrote:
We have made it abundantly clear that we would like to speak to people (on these forums) who appear to have some kind of education in order for us to have the luxury of being able to understand them. And unfortunately, I think we are beating a dead horse because people will continue to act as if they don't have a clue in their heads. They'd like to choose to act as if they are uneducated. Why would someone choose to act like a dummy? I have no clue, but apparently, stupidity is the new "Hip". We can tell David is a big fan, right David? This is an uphill battle and I am not getting paid enough to continue trying to right the wrongs their parents should have taken care of a long time ago. Good luck with this, Akihiro! Maybe the forum moderators will one day put in some software that can educate people, like the new Microsoft Word 2010 has for checking all sorts of grammatical errors.

Pessimism, *sigh* It gets to the best of us. It was nice having you for the time we did. The rest of the Grammar Enforcers and I will continue fighting the great fight. Hopefully we'll see you in the future.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
MsSandy121 wrote:

Yes I agree , that is would in fact make me a hypocrite if I did point fingers. Instead I made a general comment. Seems the only ones who took offense were maybe those who felt maybe they fell into that group? *shrugs*

Nooo... the hypocrisy is... let's see... ah yes, it's your comment about us as "OCD twitchy types." Offensive to those who do have O.C.D. and offensive to those of us here who don't. About 500 times more offensive than making sure someone doesn't make the same mistake twice. By the way, those were assumptions, not general comments (that is to say, the former term fits the situation to a greater degree).

What I still disagree with , is people going on these forums not to give a poster and answer to his/her question , but only to do a spell/gramer check on that post. Its rude and unwanted , and still not your place to judge.

As I said, we do stay on topic when posting; the grammatical errors are pointed out on the side. By the way, it's definitely not your place to judge how we correct others; we are jerks if they are, never anywhere else.

OCD, Obsessive Complusive Disorder! She is a hypocrite for saying that term? You don't comprehend how she could use that term, is that it?

It means, for those of you who don't know; Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

Now, if you don't have OCD, FoxFYR, then how do you know this is offensive to those that do have OCD? Now, if you don't have OCD, which you say you don't, then I can see how you personally can take offense, but how can you speak for others? How do you know that others without OCD took offense to her post? I personally did not, nor did I find it 500 times worse than correcting a post.

Also, I would also like to point out, that no sentence ends using three periods. So, if I may inquire? What makes you think you can correct someone else, when you can not even use proper english yourself?

One last thing, even though I know what it means.

Pwnd? Yeah, I think you are!

Delver
Mar 18, 2010

Well proper English is part of your generation too. My son is in your generation. He manages to use proper English everyday. He laughs when he see the stuff addressed here. He says "They just don't get it Mom.".

Daniel, you need to figure out bossing adults around on these boards doesn't work. Daniel tried to threaten me and basically told me to shut up. Hasn't worked well has it?

We won't quit because this is important. You can bet some of us have learned this lesson the hard way. Right now you obviously don't care. One day things said here will come home to roost with you.

Your response brings this to mind. If your friends jumped off a cliff would you? After all they are in your generation.

AkhiroHattori5 don't give up. You will reach some people. The only one who can be changed is someone willing to change.

Thanks to all who have stood up for me. I really appreciated it.

Megan

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
OCD, Obsessive Complusive Disorder! She is a hypocrite for saying that term? You don't comprehend how she could use that term, is that it?

It means, for those of you who don't know; Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

Now, if you don't have OCD, FoxFYR, then how do you know this is offensive to those that do have OCD? Now, if you don't have OCD, which you say you don't, then I can see how you personally can take offense, but how can you speak for others? How do you know that others without OCD took offense to her post? I personally did not, nor did I find it 500 times worse than correcting a post.

Also, I would also like to point out, that no sentence ends using three periods. So, if I may inquire? What makes you think you can correct someone else, when you can not even use proper english yourself?

Wow, where do I start...oh I know! As for the whole OCD argument: if you have OCD and you're defending MsSandy, there's something very wrong with you. Last time I checked, she used the term "OCD twitchy folks," implying that all people with OCD are Grammar Enforcers and go into convulsions at the sight of a run-on sentence or an incorrect use of 'your', and vice versa. This argument struck a chord with you since I'm guessing you have OCD, but you obviously aren't guilty of what she is accusing you of. What I don't get is why you're taking it out on FoxFyr when the real offender is MsSandy. By the way, this '...' is an ellipsis. It's a grammar mark used to indicate a pause in speech, like the first sentence, or to indicate the intentional omission of a word (as in "darthjt is a complete ... !").

...so yeah, FoxFyr pwnd? No sir, I do believe you are the one that as been pwned.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
darthjt wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
MsSandy121 wrote:

Yes I agree , that is would in fact make me a hypocrite if I did point fingers. Instead I made a general comment. Seems the only ones who took offense were maybe those who felt maybe they fell into that group? *shrugs*

Nooo... the hypocrisy is... let's see... ah yes, it's your comment about us as "OCD twitchy types." Offensive to those who do have O.C.D. and offensive to those of us here who don't. About 500 times more offensive than making sure someone doesn't make the same mistake twice. By the way, those were assumptions, not general comments (that is to say, the former term fits the situation to a greater degree).

What I still disagree with , is people going on these forums not to give a poster and answer to his/her question , but only to do a spell/gramer check on that post. Its rude and unwanted , and still not your place to judge.

As I said, we do stay on topic when posting; the grammatical errors are pointed out on the side. By the way, it's definitely not your place to judge how we correct others; we are jerks if they are, never anywhere else.

I know quite well what it means and how it could be (as shown here) misused, thank you.

All of which we already knew and all of which was probably copied from the medical site you looked it up on.

It's treating OCD as so... well... *crap! What's the word* "insignificant" (That should do it) as to be a descriptor of an everyday person. If you had mental retardation (I am in no way saying that you do), wouldn't you be touchy about people getting referred to so casually as "retarded?"

It's called an "ellipsis," and is used to indicate pauses longer than those indicated by a period or comma (think of it as pausing to THINK, as opposed to breathe or end a sentence). What makes you think you can correct someone else's use of English, when you don't even know all the punctuation, the simplest part? I should like to add that "cannot" is one word.

I think you had better check again.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:

Well proper English is part of your generation too. My son is in your generation. He manages to use proper English everyday. He laughs when he see the stuff addressed here. He says "They just don't get it Mom.".

Daniel, you need to figure out bossing adults around on these boards doesn't work. Daniel tried to threaten me and basically told me to shut up. Hasn't worked well has it?

We won't quit because this is important. You can bet some of us have learned this lesson the hard way. Right now you obviously don't care. One day things said here will come home to roost with you.

Your response brings this to mind. If your friends jumped off a cliff would you? After all they are in your generation.

AkhiroHattori5 don't give up. You will reach some people. The only one who can be changed is someone willing to change.

Megan

4 the 110th time me and david are not theatning u now lay off its not a theat n im gtin anoyed

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Firefan02 wrote:

Megan

maybe me and dan are sticking up for each other how old is your so like 28 if he is close to that he aint part of the generaton face it ppl dont care as much of every lil thing like they used to