Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Snow Angel Level 58 Ice Spell

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
I kinda posted this earlier on the Dorms part of the message board but I didn't know if you guys would answer it on that......I hope I dont get banned for multiple posts Anyway, KI, I love Celestia and I'm sure many other wizards that play wizard 101 love it also, but I wanted to talk to you about the level 58 spell, Snow Angel, and its taunt effect, I know taunt could be used with ice because of their shields and hight health, but what if an Ice wizard wanted to cast Snow Angel without being attacked by every monster, not to mention it doesn't help in PvP..... I have seen the Leviathan and Efreet spells and they have really good after effects and I was wondering if you might just look into changing it and I'm sure a lot of Ice Wizards will be happy if you at least look into the Snow Angel effect
Again if this is a multiple post I'm Sorry PLEASE dont ban me
P.S. Post comments below

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
You are right beyond anything, the game has really put ice down in almost every situation but this worse than it could be. I love the school ice its a great idea but they constantly bombard ice players with really unfair chances to every other school and the problem is because there are so many flaws they arent many more ice students so no one voices out. Like really
we shouldnt havent even gotten a spell if snow angel is here to stay i dont see much difference from it and frostbite. Ice will always be the weakest and our health and resistance isnt helping us in the long run with the spells we get. Most players want ice powered down because it takes so long to knock us out, but this is way to far. I have heard of instances of bullying from storm students because ice is so weak and the game doesnt want to help us. I know friends that have stopped playing because of this and its just insane. If you ask me we should get a spell that does damage to us and then in turn does damage. Or something because this taunt stuff is making tons of ice wizards frustrated over the new release

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I agree with both of you thorvon65 and DarkMage591
this spell just seems unfair for ice student

Survivor
May 31, 2010
Well to be honest, I dont know why ice wizards are complaining about snow angel. I like it when ice wizards use taunt like spells to keep the heat off the other players, plus since ice focuses on high defenses, it should not bother you because thats your role as a ice wizard.

Though I am storm, I dont put down ice wizard. Sure we have awe inspiring attacks, but our defense is TERRIBLE! You cant imangine how many times i've been one hit K-O'ed in pvp. Storm and ice are opposites, which might explain why some storm wizards are putting down ice wizards, though its no excuse.

As for its use in pvp, it is somewhat worthless. If taunt worked like a reverse beguile, that is making all enemies forced to attack you, it might have a promising role in the future.Ice is one of the coolest schools in the game(no pun intended).

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
danielv105 wrote:
Well to be honest, I dont know why ice wizards are complaining about snow angel. I like it when ice wizards use taunt like spells to keep the heat off the other players, plus since ice focuses on high defenses, it should not bother you because thats your role as a ice wizard.

Though I am storm, I dont put down ice wizard. Sure we have awe inspiring attacks, but our defense is TERRIBLE! You cant imangine how many times i've been one hit K-O'ed in pvp. Storm and ice are opposites, which might explain why some storm wizards are putting down ice wizards, though its no excuse.

As for its use in pvp, it is somewhat worthless. If taunt worked like a reverse beguile, that is making all enemies forced to attack you, it might have a promising role in the future.Ice is one of the coolest schools in the game(no pun intended).
Well to be honest here this is the main reason people are ok with it other schools support the idea because they want ice to be their shields ever since celestia was released on test realm i have just been used, just because we have shields and good at defence doesnt mean we are your personal shields we are kind of our own players and its kind of pointless to give us taunt spells because most ice can take something by themselves do to their health so most of the time we dont play with groups but groups always find a way to use us and the biggest school that discriminates like this is storm. This is just unfair and all other schools should realize we are actual players to not just other peoples shields

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Storm wizards and other wizards are really starting to bully..... I saw a leviathan and I said "nice spell" and the other wizard said "wait till you see your [cruddy] one when you get 58" that really made me feel bad KI I think you should look at this post and change it PLEASE Ice wizards deserve a LITTLE better than this!

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
they should atleast change so it gives an absorb to you by how much the damage you do by it or steal all the shields on the target and give them to you

Explorer
May 09, 2009
I got my hopes up I was hoping for something awesome with something else than a taunt. :( The spell is cool I just was hoping for something a little different.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
The should make it stun for 2 round or add some sort of ice armor like rebirth instead of taunt and make the damage all at ones

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
I agree with you all the way im an ice wizard myself. I love the class alot granted our attacks are a little weaker then the others but that doesnt mean you make our level 58 spell no use or even worth getting i rather stick to my colossus thats given from the malistaire ice robe. Now its great game they did a very good on makeing it. Its great for family and all but please cut the ice wizards some slack on our level 58 spell 660 over 3 rounds and mega taunt i mean that just makes us a target and we dont want to die and loose are chance at getting a quest done. Granted we got pretty good defence and health but that don't mean we made to protect everything one. What if we want to solo well i would not cast snow angel and wast 8 pips just to do 660 over 3 rounds. I dont mean to sound un grateful but please wizard team make our spell better then it is cause its not that good as it should be. Maybe instead of mega taunt shield us or dispell any attack for one turn or maybe stun. The look of it is great just need to the fix the effect. Also i have seen alot of other wizards calling ice wizards noobs. I hope this helps ^^

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Does Taunt even work on the Test Realm? The times I've morphed to Gobbler, I've used the multi-taunt as well as the hit-and-taunt spells. And yet the monsters will continue to pound away at whatever wizard they've been hitting.

It's almost like the aggro doesn't work anymore.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
I honestly don't understand why Ice wizards are so disappointed with Snow Angel. And it is far better than Frost Bite, in that its an AOE! Plus, the d.o.t. is extremely valuable, because it renders shields completely useless. This has made Ice wizards a much bigger threat, and that's coming from a Legendary Diviner.(In Test of course )

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
yunggrillz:

I don't know this for sure... but, as I understand it, only the taunt is AOE. That means we have a slightly better DOT spell than frostbite with the added effect of taunting all enemies. The taunt doesn't help us when we're solo. It doesn't help us in Arena. The only way it helps us is if we're protecting others. If that's the case, then it has limited uses because you're not going to cast it if you're hurt. If it does indeed only attack one target, we're better off using frostbite to clear shields because its less pips and we can follow up with a heavy hitter afterward.

Also, that means that just about everyone is a far heavier hitter than ICE at Rank 8 because ice bonuses to damage in our clothing are always less than everyone else. Basically, assuming the actual attack does indeed only hit one target, we got completely shafted compared to everyone else. If I am not accurate and the damage part of the spell is AOE, then I'm fine with it, but, I still think they need to drop taunt from it either way.

Explorer
Jul 15, 2009
Ok first of all the people who are mean to ice wizards: not cool. Its not nice its not friendly and its not good. You know people just tease other people just to make themselves feel better, but I for one believe that the ice school is GREAT! It has allot of defenses allot of health and beautiful attacks. But people who just take advantage of that is not very nice. When KingsIsle made the ice school, I'm sure they didn't make it to be made fun of. The ice school is special in its own way and no one can judge about how bad the ice school is, because thats their opinion, nobody can stop you from saying how awesome the ice school is because thats your opinion. I think snow angel is a great spell, and just think its different to it has taunt and I understand how confused some of you are about "well whats so special about taunt it doesn't amount to anything." But maybe it will some-what help in the future worlds you never know. So don't just feel down about it. KingsIsle made the lvl 58 ice spell special, and for a purpose even if it does have taunt to all enemies. I hope this encouraged some of the ice wizards. :)

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
DarkMage591 wrote:
I kinda posted this earlier on the Dorms part of the message board but I didn't know if you guys would answer it on that......I hope I dont get banned for multiple posts Anyway, KI, I love Celestia and I'm sure many other wizards that play wizard 101 love it also, but I wanted to talk to you about the level 58 spell, Snow Angel, and its taunt effect, I know taunt could be used with ice because of their shields and hight health, but what if an Ice wizard wanted to cast Snow Angel without being attacked by every monster, not to mention it doesn't help in PvP..... I have seen the Leviathan and Efreet spells and they have really good after effects and I was wondering if you might just look into changing it and I'm sure a lot of Ice Wizards will be happy if you at least look into the Snow Angel effect
Again if this is a multiple post I'm Sorry PLEASE dont ban me
P.S. Post comments below
ok first off ice is awesome and who ever makes fun of ice i just say how about we pvp a bit and i put up 5 full power pip ice armors on my self and you tell me how funny it is ;) ice rocks in its own way and about ice angel i felt left down in several ways first off ice is up for some ruff times because of the new spells i mean look the new level 58 death spell will knock down our ice armors faster then it would if it was a fire dragon and thats bad news for us which is why we need a good spell to make up for it that would be the ice angel of course which has several problems ill display them all carefully.
1 the taunt ain't cool for us in this kind of situation ESPECIALLY IN PVP!!!! look in pvp we have a lot of hard stuff but you know we pull through its hard in pvp for ice but you know just be patient and you'll make it now its almost utterly useless to try pvp because of the new extremely over powered face melting spells and in pve its got an up and down soloing taunt is useless and with a group it might help a bit but i may be wrong but i think it only taunts one person could be wrong but if it does it just makes things worse. I dont know kingsisle I think that you should change the taunt with a tower all or maybe even a 2 or 3 round stun i mean i know where tanks but elementally thats what ice is for immobilizing opponents now in wiz101 thats not what ice is for ice is tanking but i still think a big stun would help a lot for us. dont worry ice wizards out there kingsisle will fix it i'm 99 percent curtain

Survivor
May 31, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
danielv105 wrote:

Well to be honest here this is the main reason people are ok with it other schools support the idea because they want ice to be their shields ever since celestia was released on test realm i have just been used, just because we have shields and good at defence doesnt mean we are your personal shields we are kind of our own players and its kind of pointless to give us taunt spells because most ice can take something by themselves do to their health so most of the time we dont play with groups but groups always find a way to use us and the biggest school that discriminates like this is storm. This is just unfair and all other schools should realize we are actual players to not just other peoples shields

Ok think of it this way. suppose your in a boss fight with 3 other people. your ice, and your team is a storm, life, and balance. your enemy is starting to attack the storm, life, and balance. If storm goes down, its going to be a long fight you may not win. If life goes down, your team has lost for the most part. If balance goes down, it weakens everyone(since balance is most effective in group play). Now the 1 milllion dollar question is would you use snow angel or a taunt to save your team?

Lets say you dont and you ignore their problem. they end up all defeated and your all alone, and you know that your going to go next, and thats its only a matter of time.

Now lets say you do use snow angel. As a result, your team gets a second to breath and focus.Your team starts to defeat the opposition, while you take some damage, but with your shields and resistance, its not a problem.

What i'm trying to say is that in a battle, ice wizards are tanks. they will not go down easy with their resistance and shields. In a team, they keep other wizards from being crushed like a bug. Remember, everyone needs everyone in order for a team to be a sucess.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Danielv105:

Are you an Ice wizard? Yes, we're tanks. If you're trying to get the bad guys to focus on you, you'll probably hit them all with frost giant, hoping for a round of stun, or use Mega Taunt (yes, it works. Perhaps too well. I couldn't get them to stop hitting me. :D ). Outside of that, you're much more likely to shield your friends with towers or some such. Could it come in handy? sure. I won't argue that in this one rare occasion, it might. But is that fair? Everyone else has a rank 8 spell which is useful in MOST situations, not one or two.

If you go first (usual for the situation you're describing) and you cast this spell early, (still in your criteria) all the enemies are going to attack you anyway. What is the purpose of taunt there? If you want to assist by removing towers, etc, this is a great spell for it. But, if you are hurt (not uncommon in Celestia right?) you don't dare cast this spell unless you are planning on having to port back in because taunt could bring all the enemies down on your head. Do you see what I'm driving at? In addition, taunt is useless in every situation EXCEPT the specific large group situation you are describing.

Quick check list: Solo? useless. PvP? useless. Small group? usually useless. Large Group? Sometimes, if you have enough health and are in a good situation for it. It would be much, much better if you got to put tower shields on all your allies, or limited ice armor for all, or even no bonus, just a little more damage. Remember, taunt ONLY helps against computer run enemies and if other people are doing damage or healing, it almost never helps there either. As an X level spell, Mega Taunt is far more effective for distracting enemies.

Finally, I would like to point out that as an Ice wizard, when you are the "designated shield" for the group, you stack your deck that way, which means mostly shields and ice armor, a few taunts, maybe some frostbite for select shield killing assists, etc. You don't have time or pips to cast anything other than defense when you are "shielding" in Celestia. The only enemies you are going to frostbite are in fact, ice enemies, because unless you have multiple ice characters in your group (which changes the whole dynamic of the situation you are describing), those are the only ones casting lots of towers. If that is the case, you're never gonna build up 8 pips worth to cast snow angel because you're far more effective stunning, hitting them with melt, an occasional frostbite, ice armor, mega taunt, etc.

Have I made my case to you yet? Taunt is effectively useless on this spell. If you think differently, you are probably NOT an ice wizard, or at the very least, not a very strategic one.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2010
I agree with anyone who doesn't like Snow Angel. And future reference, I am an Ice wizard. Even though I haven't actually SEEN it in the game, from what I've heard, I don't think it's very good. A lot of times, if I'm doing towers or something, I have to do it by myself because I can't find anyone to do it with me and any of my friends are either A. Never on anymore or B. They aren't as far as me in the storyline. Every time I'm soloing, I take out all my taunts. And even IF I'm battling with someone else, I'm usually just duoing with my friend and taunt isn't exactly very helpful then. The only time I use taunt with only one other person would be if they're low on health and that doesn't often happen considering that I can heal and I have a lot of shields. The other level 58 spells are good in anything, but Snow Angel...not so much...I would much rather a Tower shield or something of the like. All of these points are good, but I would rather the spell being changed. At least to something that's good for most of battles, not just if you're ready to take a punch.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
shinyflareon123:

I got snow angel for myself today. The attack part of the spell is good and useful, particularly since they figure your boosts in the damage over time part of it. Also, so that no else is confused (I was confused), it does attack all enemies, not a single target.I think that every ice wizard is in agreement though, the taunt should be removed and replaced with something else. Whether that is more damage, tower shields, or even stun again, it should be something else. As I said previously, I use taunt from time to time and it is a useful spell. However, its only useful under very specific conditions. So specific in fact, that I don't think it should be attached to another spell, unless you want to make it like a mutate spell, or a modifier like tough or strong.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
If you want to know what ice wizards are good at doing and SHOULD do in most cases, I highly recommend you going to the player guide/handbook or whatever it's called and look up magic schools. It describes what each school's role is. Then, if you like, post here when your done reading and say what you learned.

P.S: I'm not a ice wizard, i'm storm actually. However, I have taken a interest in other schools and what they do.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
danielv105 wrote:

Do you have a grand ice that solos? Probably not if you answer like so. Either way those that do solo think this is bad. If Ra is for damage cause nova does weakness, fire does shield cause helephant does damage, leviathen a bit more damage and somewhat defense, myth single hit damage and stun, life multi hit, death a DoT to remove shields and damage. The taunt is probably the worst part of ALL the new main school spells. They should take the stun off and add a bit more damage to the first hit

Survivor
Jun 24, 2008
at least ki has giving ice wizards a double effect card for level 48 and 58
spells death wizards should be the ones mad seeing as they have not been giving any double effect spells been nice to get a -20 weakness on all opponents.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
danielv105 wrote:
If you want to know what ice wizards are good at doing and SHOULD do in most cases, I highly recommend you going to the player guide/handbook or whatever it's called and look up magic schools. It describes what each school's role is. Then, if you like, post here when your done reading and say what you learned.

P.S: I'm not a ice wizard, i'm storm actually. However, I have taken a interest in other schools and what they do.

I have read the manual Daniel. There is nothing in that paragraph that says ice wizards SHOULD taunt all enemies in large groups even when their health is low. In fact, nothing in the manual at all tells any player what they SHOULD do in most cases. It simply defines the school strengths. Have you ever seen taunt in action? I have now acquired and have used snow angel quite a bit. It is a useful spell, except the taunt. If anyone else in your group is attacking or healing, the taunt will have virtually NO effect on the enemies. That makes it useless. The implication is that if there is an after effect on the spell, then there is room for more damage and no after effect, or a different after effect.

Let me give you a scenario. We're on the same team. You've been attacking enemies. Your ice wizard is about to cast Snow Angel. Would you prefer that this spell taunt (which I assure you from experience will be useless to you and will not get them to start attacking me) or would you prefer that they do something like cast a tower shield on all teammates, or even just have the spell do more damage. Let me be clear... I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN TAUNT. There is a reason that almost no one casts taunt. The only time its useful is at the beginning of combat before any of your allies have started attacking. Since I need 8 pips for snow angel, its not useful for this purpose anyway.

Here's the bottom line. I may have taken a somewhat hostile tone with you in my last message and for that, I apologize. However, I get tired of people who do not play Ice Wizards telling me that I shouldn't be complaining about the taunt portion of this spell. If you are relying on your Ice Wizard friends to draw fire and be a shield, then you should be complaining as well because this isn't going to do it for you. Moving on to smo68...

Last time I checked, life drain spells, the staple of death, are double effect spells. The hurt (effect 1) and heal (effect 2). Having said that, I wrote a post where I critiqued all the Rank 8 spells, and you will note that I said I believe that life, death, and balance should all have some sort of after effect. You might want to be careful what you wish for as super nova does leave weakness, but because of that it is considered a "charm" spell instead of a damage spell. That means you can't tough it, etc. I suppose that isn't as big a deal for death, as you have far more blades and traps that you can apply to it, but it really leaves balance players in a lurch.

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
ICE WIZARDS - remember your qualities - you can hit relatively hard and you LAST longer (health and resistance)
I have a grand master in every school and 2 in all but myth and balance because i feel both are THE WEAKER schools, especially myth
myth is difficult to play and balance? just as bad if for different reasons

I love my Storms , but also my Ice, Fire - shrug..;life and death are favorites to for certain reasons

i NEVER put down another school in taunt , though i have been on the receiving end , a balance just yesterday , i told him to heal himslef if eh could and i would carry the fight , lol he said 'why? balance is stronger htan ice, ice is weak', and I said, you never played with THIS Ice; so i hit the 3 bad sharks with a blade and the Ghost rider and they were gone as of the first round part, (he had taken 450 off each with his nova)

ok level 58 ICE spell- Ghost Rider (aka Ice ANgel)-get a blade up first, hey if time an elemental or the star school spell, i dont take time for traps unless there is time while i pip up
IF you get lucky and a critcal hit- send all the other wizards home @!

we get 114 on initial hit with no extras, i believe it like 159? if a blade, the three rounds vary upward accordingly; with critical hit the highest naturally (we have seen about 700 then per rounds)
i also have a Darkstone pet who when trained to adult added 2+ to ice power, i believe our total for power is 14?

We also do well on Hagar the Horrible (aka frost giant spell)- with no aid we get 500+ and if a blade we are in 700's

Myth has earthquake - a waste if fellows with you have put traps on bad buys, hit wise it is 310 +- Froggy is better
Balance has nova - a whole 430 +(yes leaves a weakness behind)

i'll take Ice over those 2 schools thank you, Fire- maybe because so many people 'rave' over fire i just turn away

ICEis literally 'true blue' and 'takes a licking but keeps on ticking' (lol old timex commercial idea);

From the 'old man' kieran silvershard (he more than a year grand master now) , Keira Iceshard , Ice grand master past 5 months or so
and the other 12 grands we own

Survivor
May 31, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
danielv105 wrote:

I have read the manual Daniel. There is nothing in that paragraph that says ice wizards SHOULD taunt all enemies in large groups even when their health is low. In fact, nothing in the manual at all tells any player what they SHOULD do in most cases. It simply defines the school strengths. Have you ever seen taunt in action? I have now acquired and have used snow angel quite a bit. It is a useful spell, except the taunt. If anyone else in your group is attacking or healing, the taunt will have virtually NO effect on the enemies. That makes it useless. The implication is that if there is an after effect on the spell, then there is room for more damage and no after effect, or a different after effect.

Let me give you a scenario. We're on the same team. You've been attacking enemies. Your ice wizard is about to cast Snow Angel. Would you prefer that this spell taunt (which I assure you from experience will be useless to you and will not get them to start attacking me) or would you prefer that they do something like cast a tower shield on all teammates, or even just have the spell do more damage. Let me be clear... I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN TAUNT. There is a reason that almost no one casts taunt. The only time its useful is at the beginning of combat before any of your allies have started attacking. Since I need 8 pips for snow angel, its not useful for this purpose anyway.

Here's the bottom line. I may have taken a somewhat hostile tone with you in my last message and for that, I apologize. However, I get tired of people who do not play Ice Wizards telling me that I shouldn't be complaining about the taunt portion of this spell. If you are relying on your Ice Wizard friends to draw fire and be a shield, then you should be complaining as well because this isn't going to do it for you. Moving on to smo68...

Last time I checked, life drain spells, the staple of death, are double effect spells. The hurt (effect 1) and heal (effect 2). Having said that, I wrote a post where I critiqued all the Rank 8 spells, and you will note that I said I believe that life, death, and balance should all have some sort of after effect. You might want to be careful what you wish for as super nova does leave weakness, but because of that it is considered a "charm" spell instead of a damage spell. That means you can't tough it, etc. I suppose that isn't as big a deal for death, as you have far more blades and traps that you can apply to it, but it really leaves balance players in a lurch.

Um in your senario, I would LOVE for you to taun the enemies so that I live. And yes, taunt does work ok. I've seen it in action. One of my best friends is a ice wizard and he taunts to keep me alive, the storm guy. If you dont like the strength of your school, CHANGE YOUR SCHOOL! Look at the handbook whatever and look for a school that suits your style. Thats all I have to say.Simple right? Easy as pie=3.14. 8)