Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gravity

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I keep thinking about some different spell ideas. One I'm playing with is the idea of a myth spell called gravity, or if not gravity then vortex.

5 pips, 70% accuracy, deals 30% of damage based on the current health of the target

In other words, it cannot defeat an opponent but lower the damage based on fixed 30% damage to all. And the animation would be something like a large black bubble that appears in the center of the arena, it grows and then implodes, shrinking backward before disappearing in a small white pea sized ball of light.

This spell is not affected by blades or traps. It would be unchanging, constant.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
If we look at this realistically (I apologize if you're not, it kind of looks like you are), then we should take into account two effects. The force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the object being affected; therefore, if a fairy with 12,000 health should take, logically, less damage than a gobbler with 500. If you were to say that you should substitute the mass with health, we have one more problem; for every force exerted on 1 by 2, 1 exerts an equal force on 2. As a result, this spell should also damage the caster.

Defender
Sep 20, 2008
mythomagic6 wrote:
If we look at this realistically (I apologize if you're not, it kind of looks like you are), then we should take into account two effects. The force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the object being affected; therefore, if a fairy with 12,000 health should take, logically, less damage than a gobbler with 500. If you were to say that you should substitute the mass with health, we have one more problem; for every force exerted on 1 by 2, 1 exerts an equal force on 2. As a result, this spell should also damage the caster.
You do realize your discussing logic in a video game about student wizards, right?

Survivor
Dec 01, 2009
mythomagic6 wrote:

Does this guy come with subtitles?

Luke Windwraith
Level 34 Thaumaturge

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
Galen wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:
You do realize your discussing logic in a video game about student wizards, right?

I see your point, but I'm a real stickler for physics :P

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Galen wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:

Eh... I am the exact same way. I have to rationalize everything to death. I wish I could just be content with being ignorant sometimes. Meh. no wonder I'm myth.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Galen wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:

Thank you for making me crack up.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2009
mythomagic6 wrote:
Galen wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:

I see your point, but I'm a real stickler for physics :P

I see that!

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
mechatails wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:

Luke Windwraith
Level 34 Thaumaturge

no, i don't think so. i'll be happy to de-nerd-ify that post, but only if you ask.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:
mechatails wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:

Luke Windwraith
Level 34 Thaumaturge

no, i don't think so. i'll be happy to de-nerd-ify that post, but only if you ask.

I will "de-nerd-ify" it, as you so crudely put it.
In real life, the strength of the pull that gravity has on something depends on how much matter the object contains (i.e., how much mass it has). A gobbler would have more mass than a fairy, and as a result would ALWAYS take more damage. As for the second part... Think of it this way. If you push very hard and suddenly on a wall, you get pushed backwards. This is the same thing, except that gravity acts over a distance.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
mythomagic6 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:
mechatails wrote:
mythomagic6 wrote:

Luke Windwraith
Level 34 Thaumaturge

I will "de-nerd-ify" it, as you so crudely put it.
In real life, the strength of the pull that gravity has on something depends on how much matter the object contains (i.e., how much mass it has). A gobbler would have more mass than a fairy, and as a result would ALWAYS take more damage. As for the second part... Think of it this way. If you push very hard and suddenly on a wall, you get pushed backwards. This is the same thing, except that gravity acts over a distance.

crude? why do you think i used dashes? anyway, i was offering to do so. i know what your post meant.

Explorer
Jun 30, 2009