Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 17, 2009
I have a question about the open chat feature.

If I said something that is not allowed in text chat but allowed in open chat, and someone else with open chat saw that would they be able to report me?

Administrator
Open 18+ chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

To answer your question, anyone with 18+ Open Chat can see what you typed. If it is inappropriate, they WILL report it. When in doubt - don't.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Nov 06, 2010
they this report me for nothing i report the truth i dont like no following the rules but if i could win reedem cards and crowns i would stop whatever i am doing :D

i am sorry

Survivor
Nov 06, 2010
Survivor
Feb 12, 2012
ya really fun to chat but hard to find somebody to chat to! I think wizardxs is really safe! keep up the good work!!! 8)
<$Kool King Kong$>

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
beastlydeath wrote:
ya really fun to chat but hard to find somebody to chat to! I think wizardxs is really safe! keep up the good work!!! 8)
<$Kool King Kong$>
why cant we type numbers in the words or the number itsself why did they filter that why is there something inappropate about that seth trolltamer level 23 life wizard

Administrator
Adrew134 wrote:
beastlydeath wrote:
<$Kool King Kong$>
why cant we type numbers in the words or the number itsself why did they filter that why is there something inappropate about that seth trolltamer level 23 life wizard

The reason we do not allow numbers to be said is to ensure that Wizard101 is safe for children of all ages. While an adult might not exchange a phone number a child might or it could happen the other way around. But we would rather be safe. You can share your level with players by using quick chat. Also when you click on a player you can look into their character to see more information about them, including their level.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
smvb wrote:
MrLincoln wrote:
Hello again students!

I wanted to touch base on this subject and the act of using the report function to let us know about players that do find ways to violate the filtered chat system we have in place.

It is important to remember that we take false reporting just as seriously as we do using inappropriate language. Please be careful and make sure that you only use this button when you witness a player using bad language.

Thank you!

So the Report button is only for reporting chat violations?

My son came back to the game to find a message saying that someone had reported him (he had gone to eat dinner and left the game running). He was very upset about it, since he had done nothing. He was so upset that he had exited the game before I had a chance to see what the message that he received said. Because of this incident, I am glad to find out that falsely reporting someone is taken seriously.

I have never reported someone on this game, yet, but I have reported someone on another game. They had lured my child into a battle, and didn't join the battle after all, meanwhile taunting them as they "died," since my child was not strong enough to face the enemies alone. This was all done using that game's menu chat, not the filtered chat, since at that time, filtered chat was only allowed between "true friends." It was extremely upsetting for my trusting daughter. I subsequently found out that they don't keep logs of menu chat, and that the report was probably ignored.

Is the same thing true with this game? Are reports only investigated through examination of text chat logs?

My main question is this, though: will someone get in trouble for reporting someone who has been mean to them, but hasn't said anything bad in text chat? I can see where a child might do this, not knowing that they are only supposed to report text chat violations. Having not attempted to report someone, I don't know what the game says when you click on Report.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2011

I too applaude the filter, but like the above mentioned, I belive the filter is a bit to harsh. Being unable to use basic words such as four, or numerals is very cumbersom. They do the no number thingy to keep people from telling their age, which counts as personal Info.

Explorer
May 18, 2010
I am very glad that KingsIsle takes reporting serious because I have been false reported allot. Like a week ago or so, this guy reported me for being "angry"? I just asked him if he had colossal and then he got all angry at me and said I shouldn't be talking for my level. And also, don't you love it when you log on the game and take a couple steps and then all of sudden you get a message that you been reported. I don't know what some peoples deal are with reporting others for no reason. Some people also report me for my school, which is life. A guy threatened to report me if I didn't back out of the Tower of the Helephant. He said life school was the worst school of all. That didn't tick me off. What ticked me off is when he said "Life is very useless, they never attack. All they do is heal. I don't know why KingsIsle even made the life school, they are not helpful at all. They're just a big waste. Now get out before I report you for being unruley." I don't care if people make a statement about the schools. We all have our own opinion. But you don't report them for the school they are. I'm just really glad KingsIsle takes reporting serious and actually looks at the reports.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2012

Now how do you get text chat? I am on lvl 9 and i can't seem to get it? Why don't i have it?

Thank You :-o

Explorer
May 18, 2010
starwarsfan1122334... wrote:

Now how do you get text chat? I am on lvl 9 and i can't seem to get it? Why don't i have it?

It has nothing to do with the levels. You have to be 13 years of age or older to unlock text chat. I think if you're below the age limit for text chat, you have to get a parent/guardian's permission to unlock it.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
starwarsfan1122334... wrote:

You get text chat when you register for a new account and put in your information and age...etc.If you are 13+,you will have text chat.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I am very pleased that W101 takers false reporting as seriously as the genuine violations.

Case in point, I was in the shopping district, watching yet another scamming offering A hydra mount for treasure cards when his friend kept standing on top of me while on her stag. Not a big deal I just kindly moved. She kept following, I left, then I returned she said "Add me". Now I am a level 80 and no longer accept friend requests (it is off) so I menu (mute) chatted "No Thank you" which to me is polite and safe since it is menu/mute chat and makes it so players can not private chat me. (I have open chat but many times use the menu so other players can not text/whisper to me begging or being disgusting)

She said plz plz plz plz plz, I again menu/mute chatted "No", she then said "Yes!" and this time I simply ported to my marked spot (shopping district walls glitch) and she saw where I went and then reported me....

This is a classic example of what players must deal with. I found it amusing since I only menu chatted and did not open myself up to an infraction... I do not swear around filters anyway because of the clear TOU/TOS.... but I still found it amusing that users/players still do not understand what is a reportable offence yet.

They beg for gifts, you say no, they report you, they ask to be added or for a ride on your mount, they report you, you do not even need to text chat or open chat to be reported... it is silly.

I feel confident I was without fault and I simply changed areas and prevented more drama.... but the immaturity some days is mind boggling.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I was a bit upset the first time one of my wizards was reported. I didn't see that I'd texted anything inappropriate. I didn't text anything else though. Then a couple others in my party said they'd been reported also. It would seem that all four of us had been. The really bothered me until I re-read the TOS.

A year of so goes by and another of my wizards was reported for (in my mind) a silly matter of saying no to someone. I didn't want "to be his girl"; I'm an adult and married. Just doesn't seem right to me. I told him no in a polite manner, but they didn't seem to like being told no. The individual reported me a second time and laughed and said they had done so. Then they ported away.

So there are some in the game who seem to enjoy spreading their own brand of meaness without thinking of the consequences they, in turn, will reap.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
I am kind of new to wizard101 but like, i want to know how to tell a specific person in one spot, to cast a certain spell. They show up as pictures. And it looks way simpler than writing it out completely. Please enlighten me :D.

Survivor
May 18, 2012

I love playing wizard101.. But sometimes.. Some people get by with saying bad words. Well, they you another form of language i guess you can say. Haha. Well... Yeahh.. I am scared to report them cause i dont wanna be "muted" :(
So. I only play when my friends are on :D They make me feel safe lolz :D So.. Anyone else feel like that?? Hahaha.. Am i the only onee :( o. o i hope not ha! Reply :D

Survivor
Apr 17, 2012
I have found that a lot of the complaints, about not being able to type numbers, refers to a player's level, etc. All you have to do is click on the individual, click the left arrow at the bottom of the character menu, and it shows you their level, gear, pets, stats, etc. So there is really no need to type numbers for these things. The only time you can't do this, is during combat.

How can Wizard101 actually know the information they are given about a player, when starting an account, is correct? Someone can easily put in false information. I believe, but may be wrong, that it is the younger players, like under 18, who stand in the Commons and use foul language. I actually did report someone, a couple of weeks ago, for "shouting" (all caps) actual swear words. I warned her that I would report her if she didn't stop. She refused, even with her friends trying to shush her, so I reported her. I have since ridden through the Commons looking at chats and found that this kind of language happens a lot, at the same time, from a number of different people. Even changing realms doesn't really help.

I'm an older player who started playing, after watching tv ads (got addicted after the first 10 minutes), and find this very disturbing. Is there some way to have an *employee monitor* roam around the Commons, periodically, reminding people that they can be banned for this offense? Standing there reporting every person who does it just isn't viable.

Happy are they who share in the joy and success of others. :D

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
unikkorn1 wrote:
I have found that a lot of the complaints, about not being able to type numbers, refers to a player's level, etc. All you have to do is click on the individual, click the left arrow at the bottom of the character menu, and it shows you their level, gear, pets, stats, etc. So there is really no need to type numbers for these things. The only time you can't do this, is during combat.

How can Wizard101 actually know the information they are given about a player, when starting an account, is correct? Someone can easily put in false information. I believe, but may be wrong, that it is the younger players, like under 18, who stand in the Commons and use foul language. I actually did report someone, a couple of weeks ago, for "shouting" (all caps) actual swear words. I warned her that I would report her if she didn't stop. She refused, even with her friends trying to shush her, so I reported her. I have since ridden through the Commons looking at chats and found that this kind of language happens a lot, at the same time, from a number of different people. Even changing realms doesn't really help.

I'm an older player who started playing, after watching tv ads (got addicted after the first 10 minutes), and find this very disturbing. Is there some way to have an *employee monitor* roam around the Commons, periodically, reminding people that they can be banned for this offense? Standing there reporting every person who does it just isn't viable.

Happy are they who share in the joy and success of others. :D

I don't know where you got your information but as for certain players not being able to type numbers, that reason is because they have FILTERED text chat that does not allow them to type numbers for their own protection. They can't give out phone numbers or addresses that could actually lead a predator straight to them. This has nothing to do with their wizards level.

The latest updates that KI has put in place now requires a credit card on file before open chat options can be activated. Some of the ones we are seeing are from older accounts that had this option already in place before the switch.

The foul languae has become a huge issue and there are players currently that have formed a couple of groups to monitor and help clean this problem up. These groups have only been in place a short time but have already started making a difference. KI can not put staff members in every realm or location in the game for this purpose. KI gave us the tools to help with this problem and it is up to us as a Community to follow through. WE report, KI takes care of the rest. It is everyones responsibility to do this were ever they see it happening.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Survivor
Apr 17, 2012
Fallon. You, apparently, misread my first paragraph. I get my information from the Message Boards and other players. People are always asking about another player's level. Not everyone is aware that you can click on any player, click on the arrow in the left bottom corner of the menu and open their Profile. Many people think it can only be done with friends from their list. There are people who will read my post and be grateful for this tidbit. Of course, this doesn't work while in combat.

Thank you for the information about the credit cards. Not having young children I was not aware of this particular aspect. As a counselor, I feel much relieved. It, also, explains in more depth, the reasons behind KI's numerous reminders for adults not to let their children get hold of the credit cards. Kudos to KI. :D

I am glad to hear about the groups forming to help monitor the language. I would very much like to know who to contact or be contacted by someone forming these. I am not averse to standing at the Commons and reminding chatters, in all caps, that foul language is a bannable offense. Many others, however, are afraid of the "fallout" of reporting, with good reason, as has been mentioned already.

Thank you again, Fallon, for your information. And, now, I make a request of you. Your reply to me shows a great deal of contempt. While this does not intimidate me, it can be very "offputting" to others, who are not as confident about posting to Message Boards and Forums. If you cannot be kind, courteous or understanding to others, please, at least don't make them feel ashamed or embarrassed for sharing knowledge; or showing vulnerability through their lack of knowledge or even confidence. They might never have the confidence to come back and that would be unfortunate indeed. You are, obviously, very knowledgeable about and a great asset to this game.

And, now, as I say to the Bosses who tell me they're going to squash me like a bug:
"You and what army? En Garde!" and on with the game!

Kestrel DawnBringer, Level 62 Balance Wizard
Happy are they who share in the joy and success of others.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
@Unikorn1, the way I read your first paragraph, is that most players only want to be able to chat in order to give out wizard levels and stats. Unfortunately, for some, that is not why they are complaining about not being able to type numbers. I have reported players for trying to pass personal information such as phone numbers and addresses. And believe me they are getting very creative in doing this.

As for projecting any contempt, I can assure you that was not my intention. I am sorry if you took it in that manner.

If you wish to join one of the groups already formed, There is a topic in Ravenwood Commons called "Rudeness/Attitudes of Players", that contains a link to a thread on Wizard101 Central. That link will be in the last couple of pages and it is on a couple of posts. We try to get at least one link on each page.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2010
olivia91067 wrote:

I love playing wizard101.. But sometimes.. Some people get by with saying bad words. Well, they you another form of language i guess you can say. Haha. Well... Yeahh.. I am scared to report them cause i dont wanna be "muted" :(
So. I only play when my friends are on :D They make me feel safe lolz :D So.. Anyone else feel like that?? Hahaha.. Am i the only onee :( o. o i hope not ha! Reply :D

Lol I feel like that too! But when my friends are offline I just make sure the realm I'm in isn't Wu. I don't really see much swearing in other realms.

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
I read what mr lincoln said earlier the morning i posted this and i just wanted to clear something up a little.

I mean i see mean people 10% of the time i go to the commons. And only 2% seem bad enough to report. 5% of those people are just annoying and need to be ignored. Thanks and see you again! :D

Survivor
Jun 30, 2012
I guess there are a few holes in the chat system.

People avoiding chat filter is seen every single time. I don't think I should put any examples.
Complex words should not be blocked or what's it called.
The word 'Noob' has been said a bunch in PvP and causes arguments on the forum/message boards. I guess you should remove the word 'Noob' or any other words related.

I don't think I should be talking about the report system here, but it has holes
as well. When I want to report someone for breaking some rules or even one rules, I am not able to type it fully. I want to post at least a sentence about what they did.

Mycin RainTail - Magus Diviner (Level 32 Storm)