Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Group Teleports

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
I originally posted this as part of my "Matching System" post, but I thought it was important enough to warrant its own post.

The idea here is to enable teleportation so that members of your group can teleport to you without the need to be friends. I know the idea of "friends" is nice in a game like this, but sometimes you end up friending someone just to get a quest done because you need to be able to port to each other. And I am certain it has happened to everyone, that someone you friended to be nice and help them out suddenly ports into an instance or fight with you, messes things up and then flees. I think enabling group ports would eliminate the need to friend people you are only teaming up with for this one instance. With group teleports you can create a temporary group, be able to port around (which makes many dungeons easier) and go your separate ways after. I have been burned several times by the random porter and I am now very wary of adding friends for that vary reason. If I could just make a temporary group and have the porting benefits I would be much more inclined to help out those asking for it, and I would be much more inclined to keeping myself open to friend requests too.

I also think that, group ports should be separate from friend ports in that you can turn off friend ports but still allow group ports. Group ports shouldn’t need the ability to turn off, because if you don’t want your group members porting to you why are you in a group? This would prevent the random port from friends who are not the appropriate level for the dungeon you are doing with your group. Also, if you are hanging out with one or two friends and don’t want to be bothered by the random porter you can group up and turn off friend ports and you can port to each other (when necessary) but still be in your private world. Sometimes two wizards can accomplish tasks quicker and more efficiently than four wizards can.

Allowing Group ports would also add to the respect of the game. If people grouped up and turned off friend ports all those random porters would have to ask to be added to your group before they can just port to you. Asking before porting is proper etiquette in a game like Wizard, and Group ports would help police that annoying side of the game.

This idea, in my mind at least, seems to be the easiest to implement. As far as I can tell, all that would be needed in the programming code would be to add a check to see if you are grouped with the wizard you are trying to port to BEFORE checking to see if the person you are porting to is accepting friend ports. If you are grouped with that wizard, it wouldn't even check if the person was accepting friend ports, it would just execute the porting subroutine. If you are not grouped with the wizard then it would check to see if your "friend" is accepting ports before executing the porting subroutine.

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
Sorry i didnt really feel like reading all of that but i think i got the idea. so i'm gonna say i like it lol. Also how about some sort of mass teleport spell, where everyone around you would teleport with you to either a marked location or your home.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
I didn't read the whole thing either, but did get all the way down to the next to last paragraph.

I think your idea is wonderful. It would be most helpful. I often have to delete people so I can add someone that I am helping for that instance only.

So great job with that idea!

Delver
Sep 18, 2009