Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lack of gold and where to find it!!!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
I am having trouble finding enough gold to get better weapons and stuff. Is there anywhere in the game where you get extra amounts of gold for defeating enemies? Thanks in advance..Fiona Dragontamer

Developer
Have you sold all of your extra equipment to a vendor? I find that is where I get most of my gold from.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
Yes I have...its just not enough...I bought a new knife and now have no money :(

Survivor
May 28, 2008
The best way to get gold is by selling items dropped by monsters. In Wizard City. The more powerful monsters drop better stuff, which sells for more gold. There could be better ways, but repeating the Kraken in Triton Ave should be fast and easy since he doesn't have any helpers and you can restore your life and mana by going back to Old Town.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
gswift7 wrote:
The best way to get gold is by selling items dropped by monsters. In Wizard City. The more powerful monsters drop better stuff, which sells for more gold. There could be better ways, but repeating the Kraken in Triton Ave should be fast and easy since he doesn't have any helpers and you can restore your life and mana by going back to Old Town.

Have you actually tried that? Even a "Perfect" Server, there's usually what amounts to a waiting list to beat the guy! And those who are waiting are constantly jumping in the way, and generally acting like jerks!

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
8)
I've been refining my methods, and discovered a new method of saving money that sounds stupid but actually works : I never use Potions, except after a Final Boss. And if I must use one, I don't refill in Wizard City; I jump onto a Mini-Game, since the "Mana" points earned not only refill your Health and Mana Points, they also refill your Potions! I've saved quite literally hundreds if not thousands of Gold doing this.

The downside? I have to plan much farther ahead of time in terms of which Quests I do, what Monsters I fight, and how long I linger inside an area before returning to the "safe areas" where you regain Health every few seconds and find Blue Sparks. I also have to be vastly more aware of Red / Healing Sparks in a Questing Area; but I find its not much more than the kind of "no Potion" thinking I had to use back at 1st or 2nd Level.

It IS possible to do without Potions, except in Sunken City, where their wise use is essential to surviving its threat.

This is just my Opinion, and I am voicing it ....
8)

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Lack of gold in Marley Bone and Moo Shu goes up. I have got up to 11,000 gold. or buy crowns or earn them. its a wonderful thing crowns I love my triton robe my dryad shoes and my Judgement hat. well i bought that with gold :-) judgement hat ! :) my brother bought storm zilla robe for only 10,000 here is a tip. buy them brown on brown them recolor them what robe you bought its a great way to save gold

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
ya i made my gold from the kraken but it still not enough for some armors

Survivor
May 23, 2008
Stop buying items, you don’t need them. Most of the items you buy (with the exception of the very high cost ones) are going to be surpassed by drop from battles. In short you are wasting your gold; stop spending and your problem will go away.

Take advantage of your bank. I tend to bank lots of good gear so I can tune my outfit when I get a new drop. Save your best +mana; +health; +damage; +accuracy; +power pips in the bank, then if you get a drop that is an upgrade but don’t need it at the time, put it in the bank and sell any lesser items you have. Why does this help? Well when you get that great new item, but wearing it drops you too low on something for example, you can get a backup item from your bank.

That being said, what would I consider things you should buy? New spellbooks, the class specific ones you get are well worth buying, and the drops I have seen are not good. The only other things I feel is a must are shield amulets, for ~250gold, these are amazing. It might be tempting to buy wands, and as long as you keep using them I suspect it is worth it, but I find I stop using them after Wizards city in favor of more buff spells like shields/traps/blades/etc.

The post above about potions is a good one. Never pay to fill them, for that matter just stop using potions at all. I have found it takes me much less time to jump to town and recharge mana off wisps and any health you need you will get from wisps running back to your current quest area. For me wisps are significantly faster than popping a potion and playing a mini-game.

Group, Group, Group. Did I mention Group? I have no idea how the magic ‘you get stuff” formula works, but I am pretty sure the more battles you fight in the better your chances of getting gear, and the more mobs the better. To that end, if you are in the area of a boss mob and see some folks looking like they may go, help them even if you don’t need the battle for a quest. Bosses drop much nicer toys, and even if you can’t use them as an upgrade, they sell for that shinny stuff you are missing.

All this being said my vice is Dyes… my kids don’t mind looking like clowns, but I try to color my new gear. I have kept up because they like to buy pets. So, playing this way we are all over 20k gold near the end of Krokotopia. No idea if that is good or bad, but slowly we are climbing. It is hard not to buy some of the nice 15k items, but I figure that by the time we get near 40 it will be a wasted item so we are saving up for end game items.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
therealwar wrote:
ya i made my gold from the kraken but it still not enough for some armors

8)
Grinding on "Micro-Bosses" like Kraken is a good idea; so good in fact that there is usually a line for the Kraken (who's Drops, I admit, are sweet).

But if you are Grinding for Gear, as the stuff bearing an NPC's name sells for more, try what I do a lot : Go back a world, or all the way to Unicorn Way if you are high up but without Spiral Keys. Rattlebones and that Lost Soul-like ghost (I forget their name) drop some nice things, including a Unique Pet or two I understand. XP rewards might not be great on either; but by the time you get to Colossus Blvd, either one is easy. I'm on Marlybone now; so I just down both with just my wand (70+ dmg per Wand-spell makes it so easy, it should be a crime ... heh)

This is my Opinion; and I am just voicing it ....
8)

Survivor
Oct 18, 2008
well if you are in krokotopia or marlybone or moo shu then you should find some friend and do lots of instance level and when you are done just sell the things you got and also you should just do your quests if i didnt buy everything i do i would most likely have over 18,000 gold! thats because i do my quests and i get with my friends and we do our quests
- toggypug

p.s. if you need more advice tell me

Survivor
Oct 21, 2008
This was my original post and I gotta say everybody has stepped up to give some hints. I'm not a newbie anymore and just finished Mooshu. In a month and a half I did the whole thing with 1 wizard. Can't wait for the new world. Better hurry I may move on. Anyway, I ended up with the best that gold could buy for my life wizard and still have 34,000 + gold in hand. Lol... who would have thought it. I am lv 45 with 4 training points and good gear...Bring on Dragonspire...anyone who needs some help and sees me on..just holler, I'll be there...

Here's a tip I discovered. Go to the library and buy tough cards. the kind you use on another card to create a gold card. Get with someone of the opposite magic school as you and battle something easy..ie dark sprites or something, use the tough cards on your deck cards then drop them and pass. After a few turns kill the critters and then trade gold cards with your friend. wala.. you have a second school of magic. Works ok..at least it did for me..

Fiona Dragontamer

Survivor
Nov 19, 2008
i dont got any tips new tips sry my only one is SELL THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have 41,000 so do you think it works HEHE

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
This is the best way to make gold:

1. Farm Jade Oni
2. Farm Tomugawa the Ebil
3. (non-upgrade) Kraken
4.(non-upgrade) Harvest Lord
5. (Depends if you have a friend to help)(Non-member/member) Lord Nightshade
6. Ivan Soulsinger
7.(Suggest group of 4) Malistaire
8. Farm Grubb
9. Farm THE WHOLE KENSINGTON PARK

yeah yeah if you are wondering and need help just look around dragonspyre for me. I am Adam Blade level 41 death. I always go on Pixie Area. 1 I ussually go on Saturdays 800 am - 9pm Sunday 1 to 7 Weekdays _6;00 PM 7:00 PM hope to see you. Just tell me on this reply if you want to meet

Adam Blade- Master Death/Storm
I farm allot tomugawa the ebil in mooshu