Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Breeding Broken?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 07, 2009
My wife and I just bred a stormzilla and hydra. According to a breeding post on the message board, we expected that we would get some sort of different looking hybrid pet.

After waiting 17 hours for the eggs to hatch (and having paid 40,000 gold for the process) we got -- another hydra and another stormzilla.

Mind you, the stats are a bit different (by about 1 point). This isn't at all what I expected.

Is breeding broken? Shouldn't we have gotten hybrid pets?

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
There are 4 possible results from a Hatch with L48 pets.
At best the odds would be 25% even.
However, rare pets have a lower probability of being obtained from a Hatch, so the odds for getting a true Hybrid is somewhat lower than getting a Stormzilla or a Hydra.
You should expect to that you might have to Hatch several times to get the specific pet you want.
(And remember that Henry VIII tried many times for a male heir.)

Of course, all Hatched pets are hybrids - they have a mix of the stats and abilities from both parents... that's what the price of the Hatch is based on.

Good luck!

Survivor
Oct 09, 2009
I was looking for a place to put my complaint and this seems most appropriate after combing through ten pages I, with my fiance have tried to hatch pets three times. We first tried to hatch Hotzilla with an ice Collosus and got a Firezilla with the same card as Hotzilla. OK that doesn't sound so bad considering one of us got a pet that we didn't have. Next we tried a spider with a myth ghoul. We got spiders. Lastly, we tried a Satyr with an Ice Collosus and got a regular Satyr. In all we spent over 120 thousand gold each. We were not really happy with any of the pets we received and with a price tag like that, we really should be able to get the mixed pet we want or at least be able to re-roll if you will to get the one we want. YES, everyone should not be running around with the best pets, BUT everyone who pays 40 thousand plus gold to get a pet should get what they want. It is not easy to acru 40 thousand gold and if you can recommend a way I am open to suggestions. Maybe that is what KI needs to do to remedy the situation. Create an area for masters (lvl48) to go and farm real money, not have to scrounge around to hopefully get things that are worth something.

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
1. There are no known hybird forms for the gift card pets. Hotzilla, Burnzilla, Flamezilla and Firezilla are all different variations given by the Best Buy card. The pet's talents will pass to the offspring, but that is all.

2. There are precious few known hybrid forms available in the game. The spiders are not on the list. I'll give you props that you're willing to try to find more, but there is a higher incidence of failure with such attempts.

3. Ice Colossus and Satyr do have two known hybrid form types. Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the many, many maaaaaaaaanyyyyy posts on the subject, this is a rare incidence that is not _likely_ to provide a hybrid type on the first, second third, or sixth try.

-note - it has been suggested that having a character that cannot equip the pet might increase the incidence of hybrids. The results are still in the early stages, so your mileage will vary.

4. - It used to be 90K. 40K is a cakewalk in comparison. The 40K is to gain access to the talent pool of both high-pedigree pets. The potential hybrid form is considered 'gravy' by the game system.

I'm aware that there is a great interest in obtaining the hybrid forms by a number of players. I can certainly sympathize with their plight, but that is only one facet of the breeding process. There are indicators that imply that KI might be planning on expanding the number of hybrid forms available (The bloodbat/firecat hybid), but considering how many issues they've had recently with thier servers locking up under the load, I can see why this development might be held off until the Celestia upgrade.

5. There are two areas that most masters will be able to gain access to with monsters that drop reasonably expensive gear. They are called Dragonspire and Ravenscaar. I'd suggest street fighting on the Plaza of Conquests or the Tower Archives.

Tips:

-Pick a monster that is opposite your character's element. If it takes you longer than 3 minutes to kill a set of two, you need to rework your deck.

- Pick a spot and just roll the critters that come by. Less travel + more killing = more stuff.

My Balance Master can usually rake in about10K in a hour.

Survivor
May 25, 2010
Talance3 wrote:
1. There are no known hybird forms for the gift card pets. Hotzilla, Burnzilla, Flamezilla and Firezilla are all different variations given by the Best Buy card. The pet's talents will pass to the offspring, but that is all.

2. There are precious few known hybrid forms available in the game. The spiders are not on the list. I'll give you props that you're willing to try to find more, but there is a higher incidence of failure with such attempts.

3. Ice Colossus and Satyr do have two known hybrid form types. Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the many, many maaaaaaaaanyyyyy posts on the subject, this is a rare incidence that is not _likely_ to provide a hybrid type on the first, second third, or sixth try.

-note - it has been suggested that having a character that cannot equip the pet might increase the incidence of hybrids. The results are still in the early stages, so your mileage will vary.

4. - It used to be 90K. 40K is a cakewalk in comparison. The 40K is to gain access to the talent pool of both high-pedigree pets. The potential hybrid form is considered 'gravy' by the game system.

I'm aware that there is a great interest in obtaining the hybrid forms by a number of players. I can certainly sympathize with their plight, but that is only one facet of the breeding process. There are indicators that imply that KI might be planning on expanding the number of hybrid forms available (The bloodbat/firecat hybid), but considering how many issues they've had recently with thier servers locking up under the load, I can see why this development might be held off until the Celestia upgrade.

5. There are two areas that most masters will be able to gain access to with monsters that drop reasonably expensive gear. They are called Dragonspire and Ravenscaar. I'd suggest street fighting on the Plaza of Conquests or the Tower Archives.

Tips:

-Pick a monster that is opposite your character's element. If it takes you longer than 3 minutes to kill a set of two, you need to rework your deck.

- Pick a spot and just roll the critters that come by. Less travel + more killing = more stuff.

My Balance Master can usually rake in about10K in a hour.