Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Complimentary Class Combos?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 02, 2010
I'm new to the game and I'm trying to figure out what class combos make for the best combos. I'm not asking which class in the game is most powerful and such but asking what secondary class compliments the main class the best?

MYTH -
STORM -
LIFE -
BALANCE -
DEATH -
FIRE -
ICE -

Before I start spending talent points for my wizards to learn other classes cards I want to get an idea of what secondary class would compliment the main class the most. Sorry if there is already a post about this but I couldn't find it & would appreciate directing me to that thread to look at it if there is such a thread.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Hmmm this kind of depends on your style of playing but i can guarntee with storm the best secondary is life, and ice the best secondary would be storm because of stats and weak attacks.

Sean Ironflame Lvl 50 Grandmaster Pyromancer
Sean Stormblade 30 Magus Diviner
See ya in the Spiral

And if you want help in the game post it here and tell me what realm in central time

Champion
Jan 27, 2009
all classes work the best with ether death, life, or ice as a second and/or third
Death for feint
Life for heals
Ice for tower shield

Hope this helps

Survivor
Jun 28, 2010
In my opinion, the best combos are opposites. Why? Because let's say you were Life, facing off against a Life enemy. If you were to choose Death as a secondary school, instead of having a resist, it would have a boost. It makes it easier to get a boost without the need of a Prism.

So, to answer your question....

Life - Death
Myth - Storm
Death - Life
Fire - Ice
Ice - Fire
Storm - Myth
Balance - Any Spirit (Myth, Life, or Death)

For Balance, Why those? Because Myth, Life, and Death all have a boost against Balance monsters. So, i hope this answers your question.

A LOT of other people think it's best to do

(If you do PvP)
Death until Feint
Ice until Tower Shield

(If you don't do PvP)
Death until Feint
Life until Satyr

I personally don't like this way. Why? Because It uses too many Training Points. Then, you can't use you're Training Points for other secret trainers around the Spiral. So, no I don't like this way. Do you? How should I know? Do whatever you want!

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
First, we need to know your primary school.

Here are the two basic teams:

Light-Fire,Balance, Life, and Myth
I put balance on the light side because it is orange.

Dark-Ice, Storm, and Death

Why do people keep mixing opposites? :x

Survivor
May 24, 2008
I've played for quite some time and also believed that using your opposite school was the most desirable. After experimenting, however, I've decided that is not necessarily the best way to go. As you advance through the worlds of the Spire, the bosses of your own school become far more difficult as well as cagier. They are just as skilled at shielding against their opposite school as we are. For example, a Life wizard might feel that Death is the best secondary school since it can be used most effectively against Life opponents. Unfortunately, there is nothing more frustrating than trapping and blading a powerful Death spell only to have the Life opponent shield for Death.

Consequently, I have found that I do better if I pair Life with one of the attack schools (in my case Fire) since these will do solid damage against a Life foe. Also, I have found the higher level cards in the secondary school to be more of a liability since they can't be accessed via power pips. I think it's a good idea to experiment to find which school supports your primary and play style best.

Defender
Apr 08, 2009
Gaymer wrote:
I'm new to the game and I'm trying to figure out what class combos make for the best combos. I'm not asking which class in the game is most powerful and such but asking what secondary class compliments the main class the best?

MYTH -
STORM -
LIFE -
BALANCE -
DEATH -
FIRE -
ICE -

Before I start spending talent points for my wizards to learn other classes cards I want to get an idea of what secondary class would compliment the main class the most. Sorry if there is already a post about this but I couldn't find it & would appreciate directing me to that thread to look at it if there is such a thread.

Myth - If you choose this as your main school I would reccommend you pick life or storm as your second.

Death - I think this a great school. A good secondary school for Death is life or storm.

Storm - I would have to say life for a secondary!

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
thunderbird120 wrote:
all classes work the best with ether death, life, or ice as a second and/or third
Death for feint
Life for heals
Ice for tower shield

Hope this helps

This is the ticket. When you learn how to really play the game, meaning you understand the schools, become a competent player and set your deck up properly you realize the above combo is the best right now. People will give you some other ideas and at one time I thought like them, but after having two accounts, and 12 grands, I now know use the above combo.

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
What I think:

MYTH - DEATH
STORM - LIFE
LIFE - STORM
BALANCE - LIFE
DEATH - MYTH
FIRE - LIFE
ICE - STORM

But remember to add Elemental Traps/Blades and Spirit Traps/Blades from the Balance tree on krokosphinx island

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
WhoMan101 wrote:
In my opinion, the best combos are opposites. Why? Because let's say you were Life, facing off against a Life enemy. If you were to choose Death as a secondary school, instead of having a resist, it would have a boost. It makes it easier to get a boost without the need of a Prism.

Life - Death
Myth - Storm
Death - Life
Fire - Ice
Ice - Fire
Storm - Myth

For Balance, Why those? Because Myth, Life, and Death all have a boost against Balance monsters. So, i hope this answers your question.

That's foolish. By using a Prism, you get to use your normal traps and blades, power pips and equipment boosts and still do boosted damage because the prism converted it to the opposite school. Don't like waiting for the prism to show up in your deck? Just run down to the Bazaar and buy 10+ treasure card versions of the Prism and load them up in your sideboard -- that way you can always get one whenever you need by simply discarding a card and drawing it.

WhoMan101 wrote:

(If you do PvP)
Death until Feint
Ice until Tower Shield

(If you don't do PvP)
Death until Feint
Life until Satyr

I personally don't like this way. Why? Because It uses too many Training Points. Then, you can't use you're Training Points for other secret trainers around the Spiral. So, no I don't like this way. Do you? How should I know? Do whatever you want!

Ice to Tower Shield, and Death to Feint is definately NOT a PvP exclusive strategy. Think it thru, the Tower Shield actually improves your defense because it will shield you from ANY school. You will also get the Fire/Storm shield ... protection from the 2 strongest schools out there. Feint will boost your damage by 70% ... certainly not something to disregard. All 12 of my wizards do this and I don't PvP at all.

If you're not Death or Ice, that makes it 13 training points to get Feint and Tower Shield. You're still left with 5 training points. If you're anything but Balance, you can get additional Blades and Traps from Niles (just the ones that benefit your school of focus). That still leaves you with 3.

By the time you are in Mooshu, you should be focusing primarily on your school of focus for attacks. Anything else you learn should be looked at for improving your defenses and boosting your damage. If you do that, you'll live longer and end fights quicker.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
thunderbird120 wrote:
Death for feint
Life for heals
Ice for tower shield

Hope this helps

I agree with this poster... the real choice is between going with death or with life for the second school, going ice for tower shield should be done either way. Going life makes survival much easier and you can heal your friends, going death for feint allows you to defeat bosses much faster but does not help so much when they cheat or toss shields up against your trap (you should not trust traps much).

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
WhoMan101 wrote:

Life - Death
Myth - Storm
Death - Life
Fire - Ice
Ice - Fire
Storm - Myth

That's foolish. By using a Prism, you get to use your normal traps and blades, power pips and equipment boosts and still do boosted damage because the prism converted it to the opposite school. Don't like waiting for the prism to show up in your deck? Just run down to the Bazaar and buy 10+ treasure card versions of the Prism and load them up in your sideboard -- that way you can always get one whenever you need by simply discarding a card and drawing it.

WhoMan101 wrote:

(If you do PvP)
Death until Feint
Ice until Tower Shield

(If you don't do PvP)
Death until Feint
Life until Satyr

Ice to Tower Shield, and Death to Feint is definately NOT a PvP exclusive strategy. Think it thru, the Tower Shield actually improves your defense because it will shield you from ANY school. You will also get the Fire/Storm shield ... protection from the 2 strongest schools out there. Feint will boost your damage by 70% ... certainly not something to disregard. All 12 of my wizards do this and I don't PvP at all.

If you're not Death or Ice, that makes it 13 training points to get Feint and Tower Shield. You're still left with 5 training points. If you're anything but Balance, you can get additional Blades and Traps from Niles (just the ones that benefit your school of focus). That still leaves you with 3.

By the time you are in Mooshu, you should be focusing primarily on your school of focus for attacks. Anything else you learn should be looked at for improving your defenses and boosting your damage. If you do that, you'll live longer and end fights quicker.

Please read what I bolded, what this person said is true and the best advice. It's what I told you too, I am making such a big deal about it because I know through experience and learning the wrong and hard way we are right.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
Preacher7719 wrote:
WhoMan101 wrote:

Life - Death
Myth - Storm
Death - Life
Fire - Ice
Ice - Fire
Storm - Myth

WhoMan101 wrote:

(If you do PvP)
Death until Feint
Ice until Tower Shield

(If you don't do PvP)
Death until Feint
Life until Satyr

I agree with most of this post. I really do not like how the PVP works in W101 compaired to other MMORPG's. I am all for PVP, every other MMO I had PVP gear, and PVE for my avatars. The PVP in W101 just does not deliver my PVP needs to me good enough. So, I can not compliment on the PVP aspect of W101.

But as far as the rest goes? Yes, you should be useing more of your focus school by the end of Marleybone, to Mooshu, To Dragonspyre. Which will deffently leave you with 3 training points left at grand. Which is good because Celestia should be out by the end of August. So you have points for the new secondary Schools.