Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Library Dues Quest Gone?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 24, 2008
I began a new wizard yesterday and noticed right away that they have changed the order of things at the start. For example, instead of Headmaster Ambrose having you talk to the professors first, he now sends you straight out to fight on Unicorn Way. The Enrollment Quest comes after.

A little later on, however, I realized I had not gotten the Roving Reporter quest from Boris Tallstaff in the library. That's where we interview the professors, then the trees, etc. That quest chain ends with us being given the Library Dues quest to find the History of Magic Books throughout Wizard City.

Figuring the order had been changed also, I didn't worry about it too much -- until I was fighting Lady Blackhope and still didn't have the quest! The History of Life Magic book was sitting right there, but I had no quest to get it. (Also, without the XP from Boris' interview quests, I was facing Lady Blackhope at a lower level than I normally do.)

I am now Level 6, have unlocked the Three Streets, and have talked to all the NPCs. Boris, however, still has no quest to give me and I have not been able to find any trace of the History Books quest anywhere.

Does anyone know if they've moved this quest to a later part of the game? (Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, imo.) Or did they maybe forget to put it back in when they changed the order of things?

I really don't want to continue playing this new wizard if this is a bug.

Survivor
May 24, 2008
UPDATE
I reached Level 10 this morning on my new Balance wizard and -- lo and behold! -- Boris Tallstaff wanted me to be a "Roving Reporter" and interview the professors. After then talking to the Trees, Gamma, Headmaster Ambrose, and Bartleby, I was finally given the "Library Dues" quest to locate the History of Magic books!

I have been holding off on doing any of the Book Boss battles (other than Lady Blackhope), since I wasn't sure what was going on. Had I not been intentionally delaying the fights, I could have done General Akilles, the Harvest Lord, and Prince Alicane by now.

So KingIsle, in their wisdom(?), has decided that the History Book quest can wait until someone is almost finished with Wizard City before giving them the quest! That is just ridiculous, imo.

Also, there are no "signposts" to direct you to the quest. I happened to be checking with Boris constantly, but somebody who is new and unfamiliar with the game might not find the quest until much, much later. Unless they regularly go to the Library to buy Treasure Cards, I think the next quest that actually sends you there doesn't happen until you are in Krok!

I can understand that KI may have wanted to move the "Roving Reporter" quest farther away from the Enrollment quest. They both cover much of the same ground and involve a lot of running around Ravenwood. However, they could have set it to trigger at Level 5 or so. (Certainly no higher than Level 8.) And they also should direct you to the Library, even if it's through a pop-up message (like Diego).

I have to wonder if the people who make these decisions actually play their own game...

Survivor
Jun 04, 2008
Whew! Thank you so much for your post! I just started a new wizard - again, - and being a, ahem, well-seasoned, wizard101 player, I KNOW there are quests are out of order from the usual Wizard City line-up. Like the Library Dues quest, the Roving Reporter, Diego the Duel Master and Advanced Combat. I even started yet another wizard, hoping maybe I just missed something in my previously hurried state. Unfortunately, now I have two wizards running around with sub-par skills. :-P

I completely agree that the new task order leaves a lot to be desired, when it is necessary to back track to be able to fullfill our quests. Or like you said, sending us out unexperienced and less prepared to defeat bosses. I hope that this matter is reconsidered and resolved

Thanks for alerting other members that we may be able to find these quests still, if only further down the road than some of us are used to. ;)

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
Well....I have a question concerning this quest, since the thread is here.

I've found every History of Magic book except one: The History of Myth Magic.

My Quest Log states that it is in Festival Park, but I don't see it anywhere. I've searched both the tent area & the surrounding grounds.

I don't know how to get to the floating island with the fountain, if there is a way to get there.

So...anyone know where this particular book is at?

Cronniss Starrmyrr

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
Ok, in reference to another post I made in this thread (don't know if it will even appear), I have found the History of Myth Magic tome.

The Quest Log states that this particular tome is in "Festival Park."

The Quest Log is incorrect in this, as it is not in Festival Park...but in "Cyclops Lane."

While you have to go to Cyclops Lane to get to Festival Park, Festival Park is a "named location." I would think this would be a bug within the quest and needs to be updated to display the correct information.

Cronniss Starrmyrr

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Skorp wrote:
UPDATE
I reached Level 10 this morning on my new Balance wizard and -- lo and behold! -- Boris Tallstaff wanted me to be a "Roving Reporter" and interview the professors. After then talking to the Trees, Gamma, Headmaster Ambrose, and Bartleby, I was finally given the "Library Dues" quest to locate the History of Magic books!

thank you for this report, i have been checking nyself for this quest, have gone to the library so many times, even checked headmaster in case it changed starting npc... I much appreciate your work and posting on this quest.

Scarlet MoonRiver
*apprentice theurgist*
lvl 9

Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
absent123 wrote:
Skorp wrote:
UPDATE

thank you for this report, i have been checking nyself for this quest, have gone to the library so many times, even checked headmaster in case it changed starting npc... I much appreciate your work and posting on this quest.

Scarlet MoonRiver
*apprentice theurgist*
lvl 9

I decided to knock the "Library Quest" off my list and went back to every one of them that I missed. Well... the one for Triton can no longer be accessed. I defeated the boss three times today but did not get through the gated door. Bummer. I really wish there was a delete quest button sometimes but even more annoying is that I put the effort into it and now will not get the credit. boo

Administrator
Well... the one for Triton can no longer be accessed. I defeated the boss three times today but did not get through the gated door.

Can you give me more details? This quest does not have a gated door between you and the book, the book should be located in the Harvest Lord's room.

Let me know if you are still unable to reach this book for some reason and I'll have our Technical Wizards take a look.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-