Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I should be immune to Life Spells!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 29, 2008
There is something wrong with the calculator of the game. My suit gives me 32% resistance against Life attacks. When I add a Life shield to it, it equals 102% resistance. Yet, still, when I am attacked by a Life spell with the shield, I still lose health, even though my resistance is OVER 100%. I think this issue should be fixed for the people who achieve the possibility of immunity

Explorer
Jul 12, 2008
Please, the only way to recieve NO damage at all is if you use spirit armor spell. 8)

Survivor
Jul 20, 2008
MasterForm wrote:
There is something wrong with the calculator of the game. My suit gives me 32% resistance against Life attacks. When I add a Life shield to it, it equals 102% resistance. Yet, still, when I am attacked by a Life spell with the shield, I still lose health, even though my resistance is OVER 100%. I think this issue should be fixed for the people who achieve the possibility of immunity

Actually, I believe what happens is that the game takes 32% of the damage off first, then another 50 ,80 or 85 % of damage, depending on which life shield you have, off the already reduced amount of damage. Or maybe it is the other way around. However, for sure, the percentages don't add together like you have it. Also the only way I know you can get zero damage is either spirit armor or the ice version of it.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
MasterForm wrote:

There's a resistance cap, based on your level. I first noticed this at around level 18-20. I was maxmizing my resistance, or so I thought, and I noticed that my myth resistance was capping out at 9% despite the fact that I ought to have had more like 12%.

Put on all of your resistance gear, and then go to the status page and check your actual resistance values. I'm going to bet that you don't really have 32% resistance, though you don't say what level you are so I suppose you might be sufficiently high XP level to achieve that.

In any case, it's not unusual in these sorts of games to cap effects at 95%.

Another thing to remember is that these things are not strictly additive. The get applied in a particular order and that ordering affects the final damage number.

To see how this works, just cast a trap against something that has a shield. The game doesn't just add and subtract the values of the shield and the trap to get a final buff/resist value. It applies the shield first, then applies the trap (and other buffs) to whatever gets through the shield. That's why shields are so awesomely effective.

Your personal resistance is the last thing to get applied. So, even if you really have 32% resistance, that's all you have. The life shield is applied first. Your resistance is applied last. Other buffs are applied in between.

There isn't any way to achieve 100% damage resistance (short of an armor spell, as mentioned previously, and the armor subtracts from the damage, so you can overload it). Given that you've got a shield and such a high resistance, I can't imagine that you're really taking enough life damage at that point to really be worth complaining about.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Yea, I think you were thinking of it the wrong way.

From what I read about your post, lets say a mob casts a Life spell on you that does 100 damage.

You have +32% resistance. So that spell does only 68 damage. BUT, there is a shield on you. 70% of the 68 damage will be blocked. In the end, you still take damage.

I assumed that the shield gave you 70%, since you said your total resistance should have been 102%.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hehe, I just reread the last post. Person said that your innate resistance from armor gets added into the calculation last, so, I guess its the other way around. :P

Life spell is cast on you for 100 damage. Life shield soaks up 70% of the damage first, then 32% of the remaining damage would be taken out, to hit you with the final number of damage points.

Well, that is how I understand it, and I am not factoring in anything else except your own resistance and the shield.

I have also noticed that traps and such get used up BEFORE a prism spell, so the converted damage ends up being much greater. :D Unless I am just wrong now, but I didnt really experiment too much to know for 100% sure. But I am 95% sure of it. :D

Survivor
Nov 08, 2008
MasterForm wrote:

If you have 100% damage resist, it only decreases it in half.
Like when you use hex, and the death spell 70% boost, thats a total of 100%. But, it only doubles the original amount.
Same thing with resist.
So, if some-one used Centaur and lets say it was only 500 damage.
if you resist 100% the effect will be 250 damage. :D

Defender
May 29, 2009

Percentages, in general --not just in this game, are multiplicative, not additive. There is no resistance cap in this game. But with the way you apply percentages in general, you can never achieve a 100%.

For instance, if you have a coupon that gets you 50% off and then another one that applies as well that gives you another 50% off, you don't get 100% and get the product for free. If the product costs $10, with the first coupon you get it for $5, apply the second coupon and you get it for $2.50

Same applies to your resistance. BTW, where are you getting a -70% life shield? You stated a life shield would give you 102% on top of your 32% which means the life shield is 70% -- all the life shields I see are 80%.

Anyways, if you get hit with a 1000 damage life spell (for ease of calculating). The life shield kicks in first and reduced the damage to 200, then your gear resist kicks in and reduces the damage to 136.

MasterForm wrote:

Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
carterma wrote:

Percentages, in general --not just in this game, are multiplicative, not additive. There is no resistance cap in this game. But with the way you apply percentages in general, you can never achieve a 100%.

For instance, if you have a coupon that gets you 50% off and then another one that applies as well that gives you another 50% off, you don't get 100% and get the product for free. If the product costs $10, with the first coupon you get it for $5, apply the second coupon and you get it for $2.50

Same applies to your resistance. BTW, where are you getting a -70% life shield? You stated a life shield would give you 102% on top of your 32% which means the life shield is 70% -- all the life shields I see are 80%.

Anyways, if you get hit with a 1000 damage life spell (for ease of calculating). The life shield kicks in first and reduced the damage to 200, then your gear resist kicks in and reduces the damage to 136.

MasterForm wrote:
The -70% shield could be the death spell dream shield. Hope this helps. This was a very old post, not sure if MasterForm is going to respond.
Thanks, Kieran