Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lag

AuthorMessage
Adherent
May 20, 2010
You should send in a ticket to support@wizard101.com

The problem sounds like it MIGHT be related to your computer and/or specifically to your graphics card, but Support would be better able to tell you.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2010
for me it is going from one zone to next. like if i go from old town to shop dist, it take like 3 mins to get there. other than that i seem to be ok. also i notice when i did a control + alt + del, it shows wizard is using 50 to 60% of my computer.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
First off, remove all un-need items from backpack. This will cause lag if you have a lot in it.

Check the realm you are in. if it is full or even crowded, switch to a less populated realm. Mine lags everytime I get anywhere near a battle in progress, but I don't think there is anything KI can do about that.

Next, check the driver on your graphics card, it may need to be updated. If this does not help, send a report to support and they will help you figure out if it is your computer or the game itself. You may need to re-install the game if there is a chance that you missed a need patch.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Hi everyone, i want to know some suggestions on how to get my game to stop lagging. I have my full screen off, particles down, shadows smoothing off, i usually dont have any background applications running, i try to go into the lowest populated realms, and also deleted some MB and KB on my computer. So i need support on how to fix this. Thanks.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Rizzy07 wrote:
Hi everyone, i want to know some suggestions on how to get my game to stop lagging. I have my full screen off, particles down, shadows smoothing off, i usually dont have any background applications running, i try to go into the lowest populated realms, and also deleted some MB and KB on my computer. So i need support on how to fix this. Thanks.

I am and others are having the same problem. I have played game on several different computers and the problem still is there.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I used to have a lot of severe lag when I was playing. It appears that you have turned off all un-necessary background.

Have you checked the amount of stuff you allow to build up in your backpack. This will cause lag if you don't keep it cleaned out.

1. Check your graphics accelerator and make sure it is set to "FULL".

2. Check the driver for your graphics card, it may be out of date. If you by any chance have an older graphics cards: ie; Intel Extreme Graphics, you will not get rid of all the lag. Intel no longer supports the older graphics cards. Send an email to microsoft support and see if they can help you get an updated driver.

3. Run "Disk Cleanup" and "Defrag" at least once a month.

4. Check to see how your automatic updates is scheduled to run. I set mine to run around 8:00am every morning. That way all updates will be done long before I am going to play. Updates running in the background while you are trying to play will cause a lot of lag. Disable anything that is running in your taskbar that is NOT essential to your computer security.

5. Is there another computer in your home that may be streaming video or music? If so, this also will create some serious lag in the game. Streaming pulls your internet speed way down and can cause your game to lock up or even kick you off.

6. WIFI. There are wifi hackers out there and if this is what your are using, contact your provider and get a password lock on your wifi. This can also cause lag. WIFI theft is a federal offense if caught but unfortunately it is hard to catch them.

7. By this time, if nothing has helped, contact support and follow their instructions.

The following is what I ran into, but it took a long time to find this out. I am not an expert so please don't take my experiences to mean that it will work for you.

The biggest problem I had with lag turned out to be caused by the Norton360 security I had installed on my computer. Since then, I have switched to Microsoft Security Essentials ( there are 2 versions, 1 is free, I use the free version). If you want to check out this possibility, I do NOT suggest you dump your security just because the change worked for me. What you can do, is turn off your security (NOT your Windows Firewall) for a couple of hours and see if the lag is reduced. You may want to reboot after turning off security, but make sure it is set to stay off until you turn it back on. Most security programs automatically restart on reboot.

Windows Firewall: This has an exceptions tab. Check it to see if Wizard101 is listed in that tab. If it is not, then add it.

No, this does not totally eliminate the lag but it did help me.

And as I said, I am not an expert, but just giving some ideas to look at. I think to some extent, we will always have some lag. Unfortunately, it is worse on older computers and most of us can't afford to buy the newer, faster ones.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
First of all, let me say that as far as plot and play value goes, Wizard101 ranks very high.

However, the most frustrating portion of the game is the lag. Again, and again, and again, I get pulled into battles I had no intention of entering simply because my game lagged, and when it came out, Bingo! I was pulled into a fight.

It becomes very frustrating when you simply have to go around collecting items to get pulled into five or six battles simply because the game decided to go on vacation for a few seconds at a time.

The monsters don't seem to suffer from lag. Why do I?

Administrator
http://kingsisle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/kingsisle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42

If you are experiencing lag (or slow service) within game play or it sometimes freezes up, it is important to first check a couple of things that could cause choppy game play:

1) Make sure any un-needed background applications are not running. Having multiple applications running at once can use up bandwidth, and process usage on your computer.

2) Another thing to check on is your internet connection. Slower speeds will result in choppier game play.

3) Verify that your graphics cards are in line with the system requirements.

4) Turn off your Quest Helper. You can do this by pressing 'CTRL-T' on your keyboard.

5) Adjust your Game options to help ease the work of your Graphics card:
- Modify the resolution smaller.
- Change the Graphics Detail setting to low
- Turn the Full Screen option to Off.
If you are still having issues after checking all of these things, please submit a support ticket from the "Contact Support" button above.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
I've done all that. No effect.

However, I have noticed that the lag is a lot less in the wee hours of the morning when the load on the Wizard101 servers is a lot less.

Rather than point at things I should do, how about acknowledging that this has been an ongoing problem for years and DO something about it?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
MaxDeGroot wrote:

However, I have noticed that the lag is a lot less in the wee hours of the morning when the load on the Wizard101 servers is a lot less.

Rather than point at things I should do, how about acknowledging that this has been an ongoing problem for years and DO something about it?

Try switching to a perfect realm......
If a lot of the realms are full, which they are on the weekends, it can make your movements slower. Also don't let your backpack get full. It does make a differemce.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
MaxDeGroot wrote:

Because KI can't fix a problem that only affects you. Some of us only experience lag when there are are too many people in the zone (commons, house parties, etc). If you have been experiencing this problem for years, it is likely because your computer is too old (or not the right specs) to play Wizard101 or you live in an area where your internet is not good.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
This just happened to me in a pvp match and thanks to my critical on 4 Availing Hands I managed to win, but I'm lucky I wasn't in a worse situation...

Defender
Jul 27, 2009
This is what i think its is ok we all know that the game is getting more and more people and worlds every year so that is the lag is increasing is beacause with each new person and world the game takes up more and more space. Even if you go between servers that only changes the people not the landscape size. Hope i helped. :D

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
I don't understand why there so much lag on this game.

I play Spiral Knights and Eden Eternal all at high resolution and settings, I never experience the terrible lag I always seem to get when I play this game.

I don't think is my computer or connection. As I have stated I play other online games and don't have the same problem.

KI we spend lots of money on this game, we need better servers.

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
It might be ya'lls computers because i hardly ever lag but then again my computer is less than a month old

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Try 'Disk Cleanup' & 'Internet Options'

Disk Cleanup
1. Click Start
2. Search "Disk Cleanup"
3. Click Disk Cleanup
4. When it opens, after loading, CHECKMARK EVERYTHING.
5. Click "OK" Or whatever appears.
6. Watch a ton of data be cleaned.

Internet Options
1. Click Tools (Internet explorer only I think? cant find it on mozilla firefox...)
2. Scroll down to Internet Options, at the bottom.
3. Click "Delete"
4. Checkmark everything. (You can choose if you want to save passwords or not)
5. Click "Delete"
6. Watch it clean up

Saves me around 8-9MB everytime. Do this every other day, or if possible, daily. Really helps.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2011
I seem to ONLY lag in celestia. In the other worlds it takes a minute to load but I can move around just fine. Celestia is HORRIBLE for me with lagging

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
Recently I have been lagging terribly the past week and have been trying to ignore it, thinking it would stop later, but it is still going on and I have been trying to fix it by restarting my computer, uninstalling the game, using the "recommended" resolutions, but still not one visible change. To describe the lag I can move around just fine but if I were to talk to an NPC or try to run into an enemy there is at least a ten second delay, and it gets really annoying when I'm in battle or in a dungeon and want to get done quickly but when I pick a spell the countdown usually goes down to zero and I usually end up passing or I try to delete a spell and I delete the total opposite of what I wanted to delete. So in all I'm hoping that there may be some simple fix that I can do to be able to play the game normally. Thank you.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2012
I'm having a different kind of lag problem. My death wizard just finished off Morganthe at level 100 and now there is a lag on him but not my other wizards. The only time the lag stops is at home or in a battle. But it happens in every world regardless of what is equipped. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
dravenheart615 on May 5, 2014 wrote:
I'm having a different kind of lag problem. My death wizard just finished off Morganthe at level 100 and now there is a lag on him but not my other wizards. The only time the lag stops is at home or in a battle. But it happens in every world regardless of what is equipped. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this.
It's odd, but I always seem to experience the same stutter-like lag you mentioned on only one of my characters after major game updates. At my home and battles are the only time it stops. I've tried clearing my cache, restarting my computer, running CCleaner and cleaning up the registry, and I've even tried emptying the character's backpack and TC inventory because that used to cause problems in the past, but nothing worked. The only solution I've found, unfortunately, is to completely uninstall and reinstall the game.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Gingercows on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:
Recently I have been lagging terribly the past week and have been trying to ignore it, thinking it would stop later, but it is still going on and I have been trying to fix it by restarting my computer, uninstalling the game, using the "recommended" resolutions, but still not one visible change. To describe the lag I can move around just fine but if I were to talk to an NPC or try to run into an enemy there is at least a ten second delay, and it gets really annoying when I'm in battle or in a dungeon and want to get done quickly but when I pick a spell the countdown usually goes down to zero and I usually end up passing or I try to delete a spell and I delete the total opposite of what I wanted to delete. So in all I'm hoping that there may be some simple fix that I can do to be able to play the game normally. Thank you.
What type of anti-virus program do you use?

I use MacAfee and at one time my screen was freezing often. I narrowed it down to the real time scanning. I lowered the settings on the anti-virus. The freezing and lag stopped.

Even if you don't use MacAfee, you may want to look at the settings of the program you do use.

I hope this helps.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2012
The weird thing is I only have a lag on one wizard. My other wizards are perfectly fine. And it doesn't lag when I'm at "home", just when I'm away.

Survivor
May 19, 2011
My lagging for the game started up again this week and its only on my death and storm wizards. On my storm wizard it keeps telling me that, "This area is closed right now, please try again later." and the lagging starts then. I tried going to WaterFront on my storm wizard in ZF and it told me the same thing. Eventually, it tells me it cannot connect to the server and it gets me annoyed, also when i try to log on again, it keeps telling me that I am unable to connect and I checked my router over and over again and it is fine. I hope KI fixes this soon.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
brian shadowblade on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
My lagging for the game started up again this week and its only on my death and storm wizards. On my storm wizard it keeps telling me that, "This area is closed right now, please try again later." and the lagging starts then. I tried going to WaterFront on my storm wizard in ZF and it told me the same thing. Eventually, it tells me it cannot connect to the server and it gets me annoyed, also when i try to log on again, it keeps telling me that I am unable to connect and I checked my router over and over again and it is fine. I hope KI fixes this soon.
If it's saying that an area isn't ready for you, that means you have never been there on that computer before, or you have reinstalled. It means the game has to reload all the information for that area again. This will go away after you've been through more areas and the game has less to reload every time you change areas.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
I am experiencing EXTREME lag (i.e Can't harvest right away, can't talk to npc right away, can't take my turn in battles right away or end up skipped, etc.) Is anyone else experiencing this today? I've all ready logged out and back in..all other games work fine when I play them (i.e League of Legends, HearthStone, and even browsers like Runescape work fine). Please help