Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Drops...what am I doing wrong?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 19, 2008
I play with my son all the time. We do the boss battles together....yet he always gets the good stuff (yes, like the staffs)!

How is it I NEVER get them?

Am I doing something wrong?

We also NEVER get pets. Why?

Is there some trick? I have gone back in later alone over and over and over...all I get are clothes for other schools.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
Your're not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell. I have a few characters and one is a myth/balance guy. I saw the troll pet on the second day since the game went live. It took me a little bit to get him to bastilla to get the drop, and I still haven't gotten it. Now mind you I spoke to the person with the pet to find out where they got it, and the posts in ravenwood confirmed it, but I still haven't gotten the troll. A couple of days ago I got the flame dagger. Now I play my other characters, but when my family is not playing I play my myth student who lives at bastillas house.

Today I got the dark sprite. No troll....

Oddly for my healer, the second time I fought the fire boss in firecat alley, the pixie dropped. I my son fell out of his chair screaming "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!?!?!" My son picked up the mander in krokotopia on the first shot.the next evening.

So my guess is that it's random, or that they have some kind of scale to keep it interesting.

Best of luck!

Tristan Ravenheart
Journeyman Sorcerer

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
I've been playing since beta days. And ever since, I haven't gotten a pet drop. I get cool equips but mostly not for my school which is ice. Not giving up though and I remain optimistic. :-)

Survivor
May 23, 2008
I have also been playing a while, and my sons seem to always get more/better drops than I do. I would venture to guess that the younger the person the more they get since my 6 year old does get more than my 8 year old. I have been tempted to change my age and see if it improves :)

Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
i got 3 staves in 5 days, 2 from gravewynd lady in firecat alley, as well as the dark sprite from her, and one staff and a mummified deck from one of the princes in the pyramid. i forget which one though.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
You're not doing anything wrong. It's just that the good stuff is rare and the highly desirable stuff is really rare.

I decided I was going to get a pet. I spent three weekends fighting Prince Alicane and Lord Nightshade for hours upon end. I finally added Bastilla and Prince Gobblerton to the mix for some variety.

I've won enough of Alicane and Nightshade's wardrobes to open a Halloween costume shop! In addition, I've got a bunch of staves, an assortment of necklaces and the occasional interesting ring.

After literally days of trying, I finally landed a Snow Snake pet from Prince Gobblerton this past Sunday when I was close to giving up for the day.

I'm still working on those other pets, though I suppose I might head back to Krokotopia and finish the story there before I try more pet gathering.

Anyway, it's just dumb luck. If you want it and you aren't lucky on the first draw then you have to be willing to be persistent.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hehe, also, if pet drops were that common, one wouldnt be as eager to continue playing by fighting the same boss. :P

It adds variety to be able to decide to try for a pet, it also allows players a hightened sense of anticipation, and makes it more exciting in the end. Makes repeatable fights more interesting.

Trust me, there is a reason those drops are so rare. :P

I, with dumb luck, my Myth wizard actually got a Dark Pixie pet from Lord Nightshade the second time I fought him with a friend. My Storm wizard must have fought him dozens of times, and he still does not have a Dark Pixie. Made it pretty exciting when I got the pet. :P

Survivor
Feb 18, 2009
Slickriptide wrote:
You're not doing anything wrong. It's just that the good stuff is rare and the highly desirable stuff is really rare.

I decided I was going to get a pet. I spent three weekends fighting Prince Alicane and Lord Nightshade for hours upon end. I finally added Bastilla and Prince Gobblerton to the mix for some variety.

I've won enough of Alicane and Nightshade's wardrobes to open a Halloween costume shop! In addition, I've got a bunch of staves, an assortment of necklaces and the occasional interesting ring.

After literally days of trying, I finally landed a Snow Snake pet from Prince Gobblerton this past Sunday when I was close to giving up for the day.

I'm still working on those other pets, though I suppose I might head back to Krokotopia and finish the story there before I try more pet gathering.

Anyway, it's just dumb luck. If you want it and you aren't lucky on the first draw then you have to be willing to be persistent.
lol i have some nice luck :) on my ice guy when ifought alicane he dropped staff on first try and i got mander pet on like fourth try and my death guy got sprite from alicane in like three kills lots of other nice drops :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I would have to agree with the fact that they make you feel like your doing something wrong. I've beaten both Nightshade and the Gobbler Prince many many many times and have YET to get a pet drop like you "supposively" can or should. I've asked others to join me to help with the quest and they all have never gotten anything more than a treasure card.

I wish there were more details on how this is done. Like, do you need to not have a pet beside you to get a pet drop? If that doesn't matter, does it matter what pet you have beside you? If not, is there something more one should be doing to help with the drops other than continously try over and over again? It gets disheartening and down right frustrating sometimes when you realize how much time you spend on doing these trying to get the "drops"

Help Professors....Please

Hunter SilverHeart

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Since someone brought this back up!

Scarlet got her first ever (and the second only out of 6 wizards) LAST NIGHT after finishing east and west parts of the Big Ben quest! She won a little golem guy! And to top that he had a cool name!

So keep trying all!

It only took 6 months and 1 day from my post! lol

And as for the last note above that asked about not getting a pet if you have one equiped....that doesn't affect it. I say that because my mom has won like 5 dary fairies and she always has one equiped.

Anyone else have suggestions or hints?

Defender
Sep 20, 2008
just keep trying pets are really rare drops along with wands. mostly you just get clothes and daggers.i only just got a krokotillian with card from prof. meowarity and im an adept pyromancer.
james starblade adept pyromancer(duh)

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
My pyromancer got the sprite from Nightshade when i helped my dad who was on the quest "The Dark of Nightshade". :D (It was my second time beating Nightshade.)

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
well all i have to say is paticients is all you need and alot of it.
i have made it a hobby to collect all of dropped pets i can and have gotten quite a few..storm bat,gouhl,troll,ice snake, and very rare treant(oakheart)
and pixies and much more.
If you go to the fansites link wikia101 there they will tell you where most dropped pets are located who is dropping them , then fight fight fight LOL
Good Luck
Monica sandust
GrandMaster LIFE

Survivor
Apr 09, 2010
well yesterday i decided i wanted an snow snake i went to prince gobbler and fought him i don't know how many times and at i think 25 26 times i got it oh and with all the cloths i got i sold them and bought a house :) so its just dumb luck in two more weeks i am going after the fire cat

Valdus Fostrunner level 25 thuamatugre

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
lol I know it is SO frustrating, I have been trying TONS of times to get a sprite from Alicane! I got lucky with my dark sprite, I got it on my first time without even trying to get it. I wish we could give people pets

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Slickriptide wrote:

i used to have good luck with pets. before the update, which made them even more valuable. youkai's minotaur gives the card when he is maxed out. all the bosses in the plaza of conquests drop a pet (on the second day of the update, i helped a friend with sea lord and got storm snowman pet :D ) including the much sought after ianthine spectre, dropped by the gurtok demon (by the way, you might want to increase that pet's drop rate, KI. ) by chance, i have acquired some good pets. there's my fire serpent, my lifebat, my frostzilla, my krokotillian (the one from meowiarty that gives the card :-) ) , and the dark sprite and greater imp, neither of which i knew i had until i checked my bank lol. well, cya in the spiral!

paul ironflame, level 50 grandmaster pyromancer, savior of the spiral 8)

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
The chances of getting a pet when you are by yourself is a rare ocassion. I seem to have my best chances when I am with a group. I have gotten a few pets like the Crabling from Crazed Forest Spirit in Village of Sorrow in Mooshu, Silver Colossus from that underground place in Grizzleheim. All the
other rare pets I got fighting in groups like a Leprechaun from Death Oni in Tree of Life in Mooshu, 2 Death Ninjas from Crimson Fields in Mooshu, and the Blue Banshee from Nightshade in Stormdrain Tower in Haunted Cave. I also got a 2 Firebirds from Jade Oni. I got a 2 Blue Ghosts from somewhere in Firecat Alley and a Dark Sprite from idk where. Oh yeah got some skeleton guy too but idk where from. From somewhere in Krok I got a Fire Salamander. And a bunch of Imps, Sprites, and Blue Cyclops but that was when i was a noob.
It's just a matter of persistence because the Crabling took me over a month to get my Death Ninjas on first try each, well actually first time I wasn't trying. My Silver Colossus about the 3rd time around. My Blue Banshee took about a month also. Leprechaun kind of just happened I was actually hoping for a gong.

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
It may just be chance, but when my friend and I go farming, we find we get the more valuable and higher rarity items when we overkill the critter we're rolling.

You're still not guaranteed a pet, but it may increase your liklihood.

Your Milage may vary: We've gotten 4 storm cats and 2 life minataurs this way, but have yet to see an ianthine demon out of Gurtok.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
Slickriptide wrote:

i used to have good luck with pets. before the update, which made them even more valuable. youkai's minotaur gives the card when he is maxed out. all the bosses in the plaza of conquests drop a pet (on the second day of the update, i helped a friend with sea lord and got storm snowman pet :D ) including the much sought after ianthine spectre, dropped by the gurtok demon (by the way, you might want to increase that pet's drop rate, KI. ) by chance, i have acquired some good pets. there's my fire serpent, my lifebat, my frostzilla, my krokotillian (the one from meowiarty that gives the card :-) ) , and the dark sprite and greater imp, neither of which i knew i had until i checked my bank lol. well, cya in the spiral!

paul ironflame, level 50 grandmaster pyromancer, savior of the spiral 8)
What is the Drop Rate For Pet From Foulgaze The Dark Sprite?

Explorer
May 22, 2009
Listen up, because this is important. You are NOT guarnteed any drop, because it is all based on a rondom formula. I know that it sounds grim, but sadly that is the truth. So just hope that you get lucky and keep trying, but you know there isn't really a thing that says "you have the right to get every drop in the game on the third try or sooner" is there? Think aobut that one. I'm sorry that you arent getting any good drops, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
As storm I've been playing ravens with a fire school friend, the total amount of pets he has found while we have played together is 14, the total pets I've found with him is 0.

I helped a friend try to get her grand death school boots for 5 days streight, 4 hours per day without break, she still didn't get them and evidently quit over it cause I no longer see her around.

For the last week I've been running the fire DS gurlok over and over again trying to get a storm ring, so far no ring for me and even I feel like quitting if this doesnt stop cause I toss in credits every day to try to get the ring. At the same time another fire school was able to get his athame, ring, and robe the very first time he did Malistair.

I'd say the pet and school drops need to be fixed.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I've noticed that fire school always finds pets rather easily. When I talk to friends online and they say they can not find the pet they want at all and yet they have a friend that has found ten or so of them, I always ask if that friend is fire school, and so far the reply is always yes their friend that finds all the pets belong to fire school. I don't think its bad luck everyone is having, but rather bad programming favoring one school over the other, or individual players over other individual players (all again seem to be fire school though).

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Dodgee wrote:
The chances of getting a pet when you are by yourself is a rare ocassion. I seem to have my best chances when I am with a group. I have gotten a few pets like the Crabling from Crazed Forest Spirit in Village of Sorrow in Mooshu, Silver Colossus from that underground place in Grizzleheim. All the
other rare pets I got fighting in groups like a Leprechaun from Death Oni in Tree of Life in Mooshu, 2 Death Ninjas from Crimson Fields in Mooshu, and the Blue Banshee from Nightshade in Stormdrain Tower in Haunted Cave. I also got a 2 Firebirds from Jade Oni. I got a 2 Blue Ghosts from somewhere in Firecat Alley and a Dark Sprite from idk where. Oh yeah got some skeleton guy too but idk where from. From somewhere in Krok I got a Fire Salamander. And a bunch of Imps, Sprites, and Blue Cyclops but that was when i was a noob.
It's just a matter of persistence because the Crabling took me over a month to get my Death Ninjas on first try each, well actually first time I wasn't trying. My Silver Colossus about the 3rd time around. My Blue Banshee took about a month also. Leprechaun kind of just happened I was actually hoping for a gong.

I'm storm school and a grand master now... I think I might have found three pets total since I first started playing. Don't hold me to that though, cause I can't rightly say for sure if I found even one with my storm character as the very few pets I did find likely came from my low level other characters.

Explorer
Dec 18, 2009
well i am told that the game modedors know when you are trying to get something really good so they lower the chances of getting it. or so i'm told