Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can we make n00b/noob a filtered word?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 20, 2008
The last thing a kid-friendly game needs is a power-gamer insulting the players for not playing the cards that HE thinks they should have been playing (even if they don't have them, which lack of course just shows how inferior they are).

Yes this happened today to someone playing a battle near where I was battling.

On other fronts, I understand why numbers might be filtered (so kids can't tell an adult how old they are?) but it makes it difficult to answer a simple question like "What level are you?" Any chance the dictionary chat could match phrases or combinations when numbers are involved?

*Edit* It wasn't the suggestion of what cards to play that I was commenting about. It was the player in question insulting the other player afterwards for not doing what he was told. In this case, being called "noob", as in "stupid newbie who doesn't know what the heck he's doing". Hence, the subject of the thread.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
Slickriptide wrote:
The last thing a kid-friendly game needs is a power-gamer insulting the players for not playing the cards that HE thinks they should have been playing (even if they don't have them, which lack of course just shows how inferior they are).

On other fronts, I understand why numbers might be filtered (so kids can't tell an adult how old they are?) but it makes it difficult to answer a simple question like "What level are you?" Any chance the dictionary chat could match phrases or combinations when numbers are involved?
I have been told what spells to cast many times. Rather than being "told to" I think it's more of a suggestion. Of course they happen to always be spells I don't have. Therefore, I tend to think it is inexperienced players, not power players, doing so.

The main issue with numbers is giving out phone numbers. While disallowing numbers completely for safety alone is not something I agree with, it is a feature of the game.

There are two ways to know someone's level. First, click on them, then the arrow at the bottom of the window that pops up. You will know max health, mana, their main school as well as level and other stats. You can get a complete and full look at other players. In addition, there is an option in quick chat to announce your level. I don't remember exactly where it is as it's not something I ever use. But it's there. ;)

Survivor
Sep 04, 2008
I heartily agree that noob should be filtered. I hear swear words enough in a day to day setting that they don't bother me all that much but being called noob, especially by someone who IS a noob, really sets me off.

Defender
Jul 31, 2008
I have to agree as well. When somebody calls another player noob, it sound much more like a offense then anything constructive

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I'll add something to this as well.

I have been playing two different mmorpgs for nearly 5+ years now, and if I received a penny whenever someone called someone else a 'noob', I'd be a multi-BILLIONAIRE.

And this is not just to little kids, I am ancient, and I am pretty sure close to dying of old age, and someone calling ME a noob (im sure it will happen eventually in this game as long as 'noob' remains unfiltered) would strike a little nerve and make me go "HEY you, you, im NOT a noob!" Lol, anyway, I agree that it should definately be filtered.

I compliment the moderators, programmers, and administrators for making this such a clean, fun game, and I am glad that they decided to "clean up" after so many other unfiltered chatting games. It is actually a nice change of pace for me to enter a mmorpg environment where I dont have to listen to WoW chat all day long.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2008
Slickriptide wrote:

*Edit* It wasn't the suggestion of what cards to play that I was commenting about. It was the player in question insulting the other player afterwards for not doing what he was told. In this case, being called "noob", as in "stupid newbie who doesn't know what the heck he's doing". Hence, the subject of the thread.

Agree also.

On the not being able to type numbers, I can understand the reasons for and against. You can of course indicate your level, mana, hit points etc via menu chat - but not in battle I guess?

One this I do find myself always wanting to do is see what level another wizard is. Out of curiosity mostly, or to see if they are in "too deep" with a duel and might need a hand. An easy way to view another wizards level, magic school, remaining hit points etc might be nice.

Happy Dueling.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Slickriptide wrote:

:-(
I so agree with you, Slick; I honestly wonder sometimes what some of these players are thinking while online. I like to offer advice myself; but I NEVER get as personal as some I have seen! I actually saw a much higher level player LEAVE a battle just because the other one didn't have the spell they wanted cast! I stepped in and helped out; but that's not the point here : This is a game, not a competition. Its all about fun, not about who's best. If that's a player's goal, they should go online with another game. Don't spoil our fun because of your impulse-control issues.

Oh, there IS a Speed Chat shortcut to show your level, Life Points, and Mana Points; It's just kinda buried in a not-so-odvious layer ...

And my best advice if someone is calling you a "noob" ? Remind them that THEY were a "noob" also one time; Nobody knows all the tactics and best moves until they've gone through a few bone-headed ones first.

Thank you
:-(

Survivor
Jun 07, 2008
why was it a filtered word in the first place. yes it should have been deleted earlier and it should be deleted now.

Community Leader
Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
i understand about the numbers thing. your basically saying that because of duels right? that question ALWAYS comes up i just say, my level rhymes with plenty sick. noob is very annoying. its basically gamer talk for you just started playing you stink. or your so much better than me.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
Kilajula wrote:

There are two ways to know someone's level. First, click on them, then the arrow at the bottom of the window that pops up. You will know max health, mana, their main school as well as level and other stats. You can get a complete and full look at other players. In addition, there is an option in quick chat to announce your level. I don't remember exactly where it is as it's not something I ever use. But it's there. ;)

From playing with my kids, we have found that checking on a wizard's stats by clicking on them gives results that are very much out-dated. It reports our levels as being a lot lower than they actually are (sometimes by two or three levels), and I've never understood why this is the case, since the progress our wizards make in the game is always being saved by the game on the servers, and not just on our computers.

If you rely on this method, just know that it might be incorrect. Maybe they have fixed this though, since we haven't checked it in a couple of weeks.

Administrator
smvb wrote:
From playing with my kids, we have found that checking on a wizard's stats by clicking on them gives results that are very much out-dated. It reports our levels as being a lot lower than they actually are (sometimes by two or three levels), and I've never understood why this is the case, since the progress our wizards make in the game is always being saved by the game on the servers, and not just on our computers.

If you rely on this method, just know that it might be incorrect. Maybe they have fixed this though, since we haven't checked it in a couple of weeks.

smvb this is something I'm interested in hearing more about, this is not an issue we can reproduce. To help us better understand what is going on, would you be willing to email some screenshots to me? You can simply press Print Screen while you're in Wizard101 and they get saved to your C:/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101/Bin folder.
If you have the view from your computer and your child's that would really help us understand more about this problem.

Thanks for letting us know!
my email is community@wizard101.com
~Professor Greyrose

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jul 10, 2008
I too have had a similar problem and friends I've talked to have said the same: sometimes when you click on someone in your friends list, the levels that show up are really outdated. I've seen friends who showed as level 5-10 when they were really level 45-50.

Also, sometimes I don't even have the option to view a friend's level.

From what I've observed, it tends to happen in these circumstances:
1) when I haven't seen the friend personally in a while. When I have seen someone recently in person in the game, I never have a problem viewing their stats.
2) from friends who haven't logged in the game in a few weeks/several weeks.
3) Usually when I've gone to see the person in the game, the problem fixes itself.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
There's actually a BIG difference between newb and noob

newb - A person who is still new to a game in some way, shape, or form. They are usually without knowledge only due to inexperience and are willing and open to learn.

noob - A person who is ignorant and self-absorbed. They want everything to be THEIR way, even if it is wrong. If they don't know something, they will act like they do and insult people that try to correct them.

Generally, the people you see calling others "noob" are the actual noobs. I'll admit that at times, I really question a person's choice(s) of spell, but I keep it to myself.

I had only at one point referred to a group of people as noobs. These were a group of players that were barely into Krokotopia that were constantly putting me near-death in MooShu because they wanted to fight the ninja pigs. They offered little to no help during the battles, leaving me to basically have to kill everything for them. As though that weren't bad enough, they wanted to go to Dragonspyre! They were pretty much trying to use me as a taxi service to get into worlds they hadn't unlocked and were by no means ready for. Of course, I removed them from my friends list shortly after. Later, I referred to them as noobs when talking to a friend. Another one of my friends who was a lower level was also present and asked if I thought she was a noob. I explained to her that she was newbie and not a noob and offered my brief definitions of the two.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
I agree that both newb and noob should be filtered. I've been playing MMO's for nearly 20 years now, and I am enjoying playing this one with my son. Having people call my 8 year old sone a noob while he trines to learn the ropes of online gaming gets my goat.

I bet it bothers me more than him since I shut off his free chat after seeing how many people have found creative ways to say obscene things through the chat filter. I've actually seen people manage a somewhat butchered, but clear, interpertation of Mother Bleeper.

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
Well, I'll say that it might be a good idea to have it filtered. There's nothing constructive or nice about it, and most arguments using or concerning it are really not ones that are aimed at anything specific, removing the possibility of letting the player improve upon it. Blind rage is never constructive, nor is it appreciated by most, and leads nowhere in helping anybody enjoy the game. If one is angry, it's best to construct one's anger into a cohesive argument.

Personally, the best ways I find to avoid being victimized by the whole "noob" thing is to just compliment the player. Note how nice their hat is, or that they've got a good health amount or power pip percentage for their level. Note how you like how their outfit matches. First of all, it makes you feel better for being nice and takes away that feeling that you're a "noob" or in any way bad of any sort. Second, the player calling you a "noob" will probably get annoyed and go elsewhere. Thirdly, it gives a very, very easy position for you to just walk away.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
I encountered this over the weekend. Running back through Marlybone to help a friend get somewhere they couldn't get...

Came across a battle where the first spot was vacant (someone had died or fled) and one person yelled help so I jumped in.

The one person was constantly belittling the other...horribly. Noob nOOb kept being used in very unfriendly tones. I told them to STOP using that word. Keep in mind that we are battling 4 goons at this point.

Then the person started arguing with me that there was nothing wrong with calling someone a noob. Any word used in a degrading fashion can be mean...and I know that it is impossible to filter them all...

But I vote that NOOB should be filtered because it is being abused by some.

LOL I told the guy belittling the other that using the term NOOB only showed his own ignorance and that each person could choose to battle in the way they saw best with the cards in their hand. I would love to use phoenix everytime but sometimes its not coming up or heaven forbid I don't have enough pips!

Too bad there isn't a "Be nice!" button!