Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The game is getting to be almost unplayable!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
Now, I'm not normally one to complain but when we've been playing this long and it's becoming almost nothing but an exercise in frustration, it's time to pull the plug.
So many things are beyond frustrating here I barely know w here to begin!
Let me give you two examples; the sunken city looking for "grubb". When you get there, there are the 4 circles, and if you're VERY lucky, there is someone else there to join you. But when you get to the dungeon, that person isn't there anymore, and it's simply not possible to venture in alone (no, don't lie and say it is because it's not).
And that's not the only one of those I've run across either.
Then there are the adventures that I call "bottleneck" quests. You can't go any further along until you finish them and unless you have at least 3 people helping you, you can't finish them at all.

Sorry if I sound overly-frustrated but I am. I'm trying my best to help my son with a few things and it's getting us nowhere.
We talked about it and unless something drastic changes, we'll simply stop playing/paying for this game and play something else.
It WOULD be nice for someone from K.I. to make a comment but I know that won't be possible, they seem to avoid any and all attempts at communication.

Administrator
Young Wizard, we are quite communicative with our players.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time, but there are a couple of hints that may help you.

First of all, let me point out that Sunken City is not required to progress to the next world. Most Wizards complete Sunken City when they're about half way through Krokotopia and well into their upper 20s.
While we realize that there's no delineation between required and side quests, there are often many Wizards around who are willing to help.

Secondly, if a player leaves the entry sigil before the countdown, they will not enter the dungeon with you. This is most likely what you are seeing.
If you and your son form a group (just select him in the world, and the friends panel will appear - there's an option there to group together) you will be kept together when you transition between areas, and combat and dungeon sigils will be held open for your group members to join before anyone else can join.

If you're not finding the community you were looking for in the game, you may want to venture over to http://www.Wizard101Central.com which is one of our top fansites. They have an extensively helpful community of players who jump at the chance to assist and inform others.

I hope you take the opportunity to give it another try, and I think you'll find that once you walk past Sunken City and onto other areas, that you'll return to it a stronger, duel savvy Wizard.

community@wizard101.com
A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
lego869 wrote:
Now, I'm not normally one to complain but when we've been playing this long and it's becoming almost nothing but an exercise in frustration, it's time to pull the plug.
Let me give you two examples; the sunken city looking for "grubb". When you get there, there are the 4 circles, and if you're VERY lucky, there is someone else there to join you. But when you get to the dungeon, that person isn't there anymore, and it's simply not possible to venture in alone (no, don't lie and say it is because it's not).
Then there are the adventures that I call "bottleneck" quests. You can't go any further along until you finish them and unless you have at least 3 people helping you, you can't finish them at all.

Sorry if I sound overly-frustrated but I am. I'm trying my best to help my son with a few things and it's getting us nowhere.
We talked about it and unless something drastic changes, we'll simply stop playing/paying for this game and play something else.
It WOULD be nice for someone from K.I. to make a comment but I know that won't be possible, they seem to avoid any and all attempts at communication.

My sugesstion is to get someone to help both you and your son, as you also need some guidance through the game. I have yet to find any dungeon in the game that a well prepared player cannot handle. What does well prepared mean:
1) Not trying a dungeon before you are the correct level. (This is your trouble with Sunken City...come back when you are level 25, or even 30)
2) Understanding the spell combinations of your school.
3) Correct deck contruction for that specific dungeon/battle.
4) Having Treasure cards that will help fill gaps (if necessary, try to avoid this crutch if at all possible).
5) Potions filled and healing in your deck.
6) An understanding of when to use potions and healing spells.
7) Know how to watch foe 'walking' patterns and move without getting caught.
8) The correct wand and amulet for your character in that specific dungeon/battle...and clothing if you have options.
9) You have a feel for battle circle play. Watching pips, knowing enemy school, health and possible spells at each pip level.
10) The most important is Self-Confidance. Don't lie to yourself that it isn't possible, way too many players of all ages have proven that it is possible.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
lego869 wrote:

Try leveling up all the way to 45 or 50 and then going back and soloing it. I think it will be a breeze for you.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Try using crowns to buy potions and or henchmen from the crown store. They were really helpful for me. I finished Sunken City alone at level 36 with them.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
lego869 wrote:

I have waited to do sunken city after being a grand. that is until making a life wizard and had to do it for a new spell. Just wait tell you are bigger this is not a required place except for a life wizard . :-)

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
if you are looking for a dungeoneering companion, i reccommend porting to the first realm on the list labeled "crowded", unless you are in one labeled "full". more wizards around ups the likelihood of help. also, try waiting until someone or multiple someones are already on the sigil, and THEN go in.

second, not being able to complete a few dungeons does not - DOES NOT - render wizard101 unplayable! that's probably the biggest overstatement i've ever heard. you can buy stuff (to give you combat bonuses - great for dungeons), level up (to help make it easier to beat dungeons, might i add), and play the treasure card black market (typically found in the wizard city shopping district, lets you get powerful cards - maybe to use in dungeons!), among other things.

also, knowing how to put a deck together properly is key. you can't rush in with your deck all attacks! you have squeeze every last drop of usefulness out of every single spell you know - heals, shields, blades, traps, minions, everything. personally, i advise you to get the deck with the highest card carrying space you can use, and also to have 40%-60% of the deck be attack spells (i typically go for high forties, and rarely fail).

as a last-ditch effort, i recommend you and your son each get one trustworthy online friend to help with dungeons, the four of you cooperating. trust is key.

Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
FoxFyr wrote:

second, not being able to complete a few dungeons does not - DOES NOT - render wizard101 unplayable! that's probably the biggest overstatement i've ever heard. you can buy stuff (to give you combat bonuses - great for dungeons), .

So, what you are saying is in order for this almost unplayable game to become playable, I have to pay MORE money to Kings Ilse?
Sorry, not going to happen, the monthly tab is already too much for what we get on this game.
Nice attempt at shilling for them though...

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
lego869 wrote:

If you ask for help most ppl will (I would in most case's) so try that.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
lego869 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:

second, not being able to complete a few dungeons does not - DOES NOT - render wizard101 unplayable! that's probably the biggest overstatement i've ever heard. you can buy stuff (to give you combat bonuses - great for dungeons), .

So, what you are saying is in order for this almost unplayable game to become playable, I have to pay MORE money to Kings Ilse?
Sorry, not going to happen, the monthly tab is already too much for what we get on this game.

Is not necessary to buy or spend more money on the game to finish anything at all. I have a great wizard character which has allowed me to end up doing almost every single dungeon without help and without spending any money. But I definitely like to be over leveled for the areas I am playing, so I am more powerful and confident.

I have made also friends along the way, more powerful than me that I usually call when need help. They always go and help me, as I go and help others when needed. That is what makes the MMO games fun: community, communication, friendship. But go by yourself does not make it impossible either, I am prove of that.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
lego869 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:

You can buy equipment with gold, that virtual money that you get from quests and battles!

Defender
Apr 10, 2009
lego869 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:

you seem a little hostile at this point so my advice to you is just to quite. if you are having more trouble than it is worth then dont do it. you dont need to post a comment yelling at KI just because you are having a hard time. and you REALLY dont need to post a comment yelling at foxfyr for trying to help you. also i'm pretty sure he ment pay with in game gold . but if you simply dont want to quite forget the quest and come back to it when you are higher lvl, but at your point it would be best for you and us for you to simply quite W101.

P.S. i dont get why you say no one helps, every time i go to night side i see a crowd of people trying to go in.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
thx to zoromon42, umrag, and jetomev. u r absolutely rite - i ment ingame gold.

lego869, as 2 characters in star wars 1 said, u assume 2 much. u dont have to pay jack in crowns, theres this handy place called the bazaar, strictly gold items, and in the 1st world, ws.

("jack" is another word 4 "anything" (im not giving u jack, ie))

and if thats my only point in my original post u read, i weep for humanity at the implications. sure the crown items usually r best, but there is über stuff you can get w/ gold. and u can make ur best cards in2 tresur with only 50 gold, maybe less at bazaar (tough). and use ur spells well and ASK 4 HELP, swallow ur pride.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
lego869 wrote:

hey um i no how you said that you cant do it alone but you can... i do sunken city on a regular basis. ALONE!! you should wait till you become a higher lvl before you do the really hard quests. i mean i am a grandmaster so i think it is easy for me.

Noah legend
grandmaster necromancer

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
No offence or anything but it mostly sounds like your complaining. I mean i'm sorry if people are leaving in your battles and stuff but thats not kingsisle's problem. Also the Sunken City thing is hard because you should have some challenge in the game. Not everything is a breeze XD XD XD

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Well personally i prefer playing with a group of friends. I don't really care for soloing the game. I have my group of friends that help me out, and I help them out. Meet new friends and do sunken city together.

Survivor
Nov 09, 2009
The game is not unplayable. Me and my friend plowed through the main quest and I got to level 42 in less then two months. We are currently destroying the dragonspyre quests with ease. I would suggest stratigizing to try and get better. For example, use wands from your opposite school, I am a level 46 ice wizard using the Lambent blade. Also, carefully choose what your secondary school is. Mine is storm. and you dont need to do Sunken City. Once you get to a certain level, it doesnt even give you much experiance anyway. All you get is a title. So I would suggest skipping it for now.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
lego869 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:

Your "shilling" comment was totally uncalled for and frankly is quite rude. You won't get much help from people if you're hostile towards those who try to help.

Apparently, this game doesn't offer you what you want. Your two choices would appear to be either changing your expectations or leaving. Perhaps the latter is better, since your mind seems to be made up.

Explorer
May 09, 2009
lego869 wrote:
But when you get to the dungeon, that person isn't there anymore, and it's simply not possible to venture in alone (no, don't lie and say it is because it's not).

actually, I almost soloed it. The only reason I didn't solo it was because somebody teleported to me about halfway through. It is possible to solo sunken city.

Explorer
May 09, 2009
lego869 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:

He did not mean only crowns. And it is not almost unplayable.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
lego869 wrote:
FoxFyr wrote:

Look, you buy stuff like treasure cards or cloths that cost GOLD from the Bazzar. Don't have gold? Sell the stuff you get from fighting that you don't need. You don't have to pay REAL money to play this game. From what you wrote, you must be rich or new to this game, because you don't have to buy everything with crowns. Otherwise, I agree with FoxFyr.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
Not to toot my own horn, but I solo'd it starting at level 18. It is entirely possible.

I upgraded all my clothes and items to hit-points only. I was a death wizard, so if I was against non-undead, I would cast curse, death trap, then death blade, and finish with vampire.

If I was against undead, I would cast Death Prism (sometimes curse as well), death trap, then death blade, and finish with vampire.

Of course, everyone has their own strategy.

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
I also get frustated, but I don't give up on it. I like all schools and I mostly solo. Oh and Sunken city you don't have to do if you don't feel like it.

The reason I solo and not have many friends is because I let people friend request me. I notice I have more friends on my attractive characters. LOL, but I do have the occasional good friends even on my ugly characters. Well they not ugly, but decided not to use the under eye look anymore.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
It sounds like you need to brush up on your social skills.

"HUH?" you ask.

Social skills have gotten me further in this game than any spell. First of all, when you are standing near a dungeon, and someone approaches, say "Hi". Talk to them. Make a new friend. And be honest. Here's how my conversation might go:

Me: "Hi! Are ya going in?"

Them: "yeah"

Me: "Super! YAY! I've been waiting for awhile, lol! This place is hard!"

Them: "lol, i know i died here twice"

Me: "Got any friends who can help?"

Them: "no"

Me: "Maybe we should wait a couple of minutes and see if someone else comes"

Them: "ok"

Notice the use of capital letters, as well as the use of "we". My distinctive style of writing (which differs from most Wizard101 participants) makes me seem unique and fun. My use of the pronoun "we" makes an assumptive propostion to this stranger: it makes us a team, instead of two strangers. By investing 30 to 60 seconds in some social networking, you can save yourself hours of frustration - and you'll make new friends.