Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Night & Day (Envionmental States) for Worlds

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 14, 2009

Hello Fellow Wizards,

I was floating around Wizard City tonight on my Seraph Wings, and it was deathly quiet. Well, after all, it is 5:00 AM (EST), so I suspect not a lot of people online right now. :D

As I was floating around with all the quiet and no other wizards in Wizard City Commons, it made me think that it should be dusk or that the whole environment should change to reflect the overall feel of the deserted streets of Wizard City at night.

I am wondering how many other players would like this sort of change in the environments based on time of day?

As an adult, who plays online at night a lot, it would be very cool to have a completely different feel in the environment during those times.

I, for one, really loved the night time scene of Grizzleheim by the fire during the first trip to Grizzleheim. I wish you could go there at night and have a similar experience. Me and my friends gathered around the camp fire and talked for a while when we were there the first time.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
OH MY GOSH! the SAME idea that i got one day!!!!
We should totally have Night and Day atleast maybe just in Wizard City.
It would really impress new players that start out in Wizard City. Also might impress those critics that test the game out every now and then
Also wouldnt it be nice to have a storm pass by like every hour or so?
Would be a great addition to the game WIZARD101! PLEASE MAKE IT DAY AND NIGHT IN WIZARD CITY!!!! also a rainstorm every now and then would be so life like! great idea by the way!!!

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
Wh1rledPeas wrote:

Hello Fellow Wizards,

I was floating around Wizard City tonight on my Seraph Wings, and it was deathly quiet. Well, after all, it is 5:00 AM (EST), so I suspect not a lot of people online right now. :D

As I was floating around with all the quiet and no other wizards in Wizard City Commons, it made me think that it should be dusk or that the whole environment should change to reflect the overall feel of the deserted streets of Wizard City at night.

I am wondering how many other players would like this sort of change in the environments based on time of day?

As an adult, who plays online at night a lot, it would be very cool to have a completely different feel in the environment during those times.

I, for one, really loved the night time scene of Grizzleheim by the fire during the first trip to Grizzleheim. I wish you could go there at night and have a similar experience. Me and my friends gathered around the camp fire and talked for a while when we were there the first time.

I love this idea. But how are KI gonna do MB at daytime?

Explorer
Dec 18, 2008
I'd love to see like weather effects in home/castles and worlds, like during the winter it could snow or something, or rain or just be hot, maybe even cloudy with a slight drizzle, but I love the idea of night and day cause some houses would look better with night time, like the oasis camp for instance it would look better with night.

Community Leader
I see what you mean :) Yet remember wizard101 is not only US based, they have players from all over the world So what would be dark for US would be day for them so that being said should they have to play in the dark? ;)

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
MeCatz wrote:
I see what you mean :) Yet remember wizard101 is not only US based, they have players from all over the world So what would be dark for US would be day for them so that being said should they have to play in the dark? ;)

Hello MeCatz,

I had already considered this before my initial post, but I didn't identify it because the reality is, it would never be an issue. Let me elaborate a moment.

While playing the game, we all see each other running around in the same environment. The impression is that we are looking through a window into a different world. But in reality, the ENTIRE experience is being generated on the LOCAL computer. We are not watching remote video of someone else.

So, on my computer, the world may appear daylight, while on someone else's computer, the world may appear night time. Neither of us would ever know the difference. The game could easily generate the sky and lighting based on the user's local time zone.

Now. There is the subject of "sharing the experience". In regards to this, I suspect that most people would like to be in the same lighting situation as others in the game. This could be addressed by several concepts.

1. When the game picks a realm for you, it could group users who are in geographic proximity to each other. This would mean that "most" users in that realm would be seeing very similar lighting.

2. Users could default to playing the game in the global Wizard City time zone, with an option to change to a time zone based on their geographical location.

3. Assuming that the massive difference between the number of users online at varrying times means 90% of the players are in a similar time zone to my own, KI could just pick the closest time zone to the majority of the users as a standard time.

In ANY of these cases, users should all be in the same "time zone" when at someone's home. If I live in the US and my friend is in Europe and I'm visiting their home, I would expect to see lighting that is appropriate for HIS geographical location.

After all, if I was in New York at 4:00pm and teleported to Greenwich to visit my wizard friend, it would be 9:00pm there and would be dark already. The change in daylight mode would be expected in that case.

Anyway. Good thoughts and discussion! Glad to see at least a little interest in this sort of thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 5 (Apprentice Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 2 (Novice Sorcerer)