Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Secondary school for Death?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 27, 2008
Seeing how we get what - 11 or 12 training points ( one at level 1 then every 4 levels till 20, then every 5 levels - correct?)

Last time around, I focused my secondary on Strom. It gives a nice second set of damage cards, but the accuacy can be a pain

This time around, I am concidering Balance.

Balance doesn't hit quite as hard, but doesn have higher accuracy and access to Weakness @8 Sandstorm @16 and Powerplay @22, but don't hit quite as hard as the Storm spells do.

Early on the extra damage will definately come in handy, but later on, I think Balance will help out more

Anyone have any opinions?

-p

Survivor
Aug 30, 2008
I have a Balance Wizard with Death as my secondary mostly for the Life stealing. Balance hits a lot harder than my Ice or Fire Wizards do.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2008
I'm leaning towards Balnace as secondary this time, but I have to admit, that I did like the extra damage that Storm brings.

But it looks like Balance will really help out later on, at least I think.

-p

Survivor
Jul 16, 2008
Progenitor wrote:
Seeing how we get what - 11 or 12 training points ( one at level 1 then every 4 levels till 20, then every 5 levels - correct?)

Last time around, I focused my secondary on Strom. It gives a nice second set of damage cards, but the accuacy can be a pain

This time around, I am concidering Balance.

Balance doesn't hit quite as hard, but doesn have higher accuracy and access to Weakness @8 Sandstorm @16 and Powerplay @22, but don't hit quite as hard as the Storm spells do.

Early on the extra damage will definately come in handy, but later on, I think Balance will help out more

Anyone have any opinions?

-p
why not start with balance main and storm secondary...

i am currently a life main with storm secondary and it it working very well
:-)

Survivor
Jun 07, 2008
Death Primary / Fire Secondary

Its the best combo for death wizard.

Why?
Death has great healing ability's but it dosnt have enough raw power and no AoE skills that hit all enemy's early on, your taking fire because at lv 26 you will get an AoE skill that hits all enemy's, also you will have a Trap card that adds 25% fire damage and an AoE fire buff that adds damage to all to fire spells, and HEX from death that adds even more damage to all spells.

Later in the game you will be fighting bosses and monsters, there's usually 2 or even 3 at a time solo in the game, that's when AoE attacks come handy.

Storm
Has no AoE attacks for secondary class..

Life
Is for healing, which death has a lot of it.

Ice
Too Weak to kill anything...

Balance
Tornado is weak later on in the game...

Myth
Pretty ok AoE skill at lv 22, Fire is still better choice because at lv 42 you will get hellelephant hits for 700, as for myth you get a skill that hits only for 305.

And as for

Storm Primary / Choose Ice Secondary
The buff from Tower Shield ice will save your life many times, costs 0 pips to cast.

Storm is a glass cannon, lowest HP for all wizards, low hit rate, high damage.

My storm wizard was Life as secondary lv 33 before wipe, that school sucks for storm, because it eats a lot of pips and you just DIE because of it, wish i took Ice...

Also played
Balance primary / Storm secondary lv 28
All i can say not enough power, storm secondary spells suck, offer nothing good to balance player.

I would say take Fire as Secondary no matter what your Primary School is, its the most balanced school.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
My death wizard never really had much use for a second school, but I settled on Ice for the zero-cost Tower Shield and the 'hit all enemies' Blizzard spells. Even so, I rarely if ever use them- Death magic is the best!

Survivor
Jun 27, 2008
616247 wrote:
My death wizard never really had much use for a second school, but I settled on Ice for the zero-cost Tower Shield and the 'hit all enemies' Blizzard spells. Even so, I rarely if ever use them- Death magic is the best!

Every so often I run into a series of Death mobs that just slows things down, plus haveing a few extra lower pip spells inthe deck can come in handy.

I'll have to look at the Ice and Fire spell sets to see what is there.

-p

Survivor
Aug 20, 2008
Death/Fire for me too. Having the DOT with the Elf can come in handy and for your Pips it does almost as much guaranteed damage as the Banshee does on average, though the latter costs an extra Pip. It also nicely takes care of Shields, with the first hit being the weakest. And then there's the AOE as was already pointed out.

Balance is not bad at all as a Secondary however, it's just that Death is so well-rounded on its own. Second best accuracy, second best self-healing capability, its only downside to me is the damage type itself. While the Devs have tried to spread the love around with the damage types enemies resist it always seems to be the annoying ones that are Death enemies and resist some 50% of your damage. Which is why a straight-up damage dealing Secondary works so well for Death. Simply toss your other damage type at Death typed enemies and let your Power Pips take care of everything else.

For Secondaries in general, I'd always recommend Death for the simple fact that it offers very reliable healing and damage with the Drains. You probably won't be using the Wraith a lot due to the pip cost, but the abilty to remove a wounded enemy with a Ghoul or Vampire and heal yourself at least enough to survive the next hit has saved my bacon more often than straight-up attacking or healing.

Survivor
May 24, 2008
nanoentity wrote:
Ice
Too Weak to kill anything...

I've played both Ice/Death and Death/Ice and I had no trouble killing anything. It just might take another round or two. At least I didn't have to contend with Fire's fizzle rate.

One thing I liked about Ice as a secondary was the Volcanic Shield against Fire and Storm. Since those two elements can cause you the most damage, being able to shield against them was a huge help.

nanoentity wrote:
Myth
Fire is still better choice because at lv 42 you will get hellelephant hits for 700, as for myth you get a skill that hits only for 305.

Apples and oranges. Helephant hits a single target for 625-705. Myth's Earthquake hits all enemies for 310 each plus removing their shields and charms. Although the damage alone doesn't equate with that done by Myth's own Humongofrog, when you're facing 3-4 mobs in MooShu, the stripping of their shields & charms can come in very handy.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
ice to weak to kill? i solo with ice and do great. also its better if you do ice primary and storm secondary. ice gives a BIG health boost