Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Expanding the chat vocabulary?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I just started playing this game three days ago and I am hooked! But I've been rather surprised at the limited acceptable vocabulary in the chat system of the game. I understand it is to keep things clean which I agree with. But my issue lies in not being able to communicate using this list of words I've put together:

Actor, actress, Whoosh, disqualify. I'm sure there are a lot more words which may have not been considered but I am not entirely clear why these words were left out. Certain text faces are allowed like :p or the smile and the frown. Are there any plans to increase the vocabulary of the chat? Anyone else have suggestions for words they may want to see added to the chat vocabulary?

Historian
May 15, 2009
there are a lot of these words that can be used to make a innapropiate sentence
When you are over 18 and are buying months of subscription Via Credit card and it verifies your over 18 you have a wider variety of words to choose from

Explorer
Nov 07, 2009
it does annoy me, for example, you can have carpet (totally useless, why would you need to use it) but not carpets. The same thing happens with curtain. You can use pizza, but not chocolate. Plus the word noob can be used, this is an offensive word and i think it should be blocked

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
It is also irritating that you can't say numbers. I don't see how you could say something inappropriate with numbers.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I was going to mention the number part.

It just feels really weird saying something like "I'm on level eighth" because you cant say eight. Not even 8. Yeah...nice to see some agreement.

(On an unrelated note I've stumbled across a completely different forum on wizard101 but am not registered to that one. I didn't know there were two parts to this site.)

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
The reason the numbers are not allowed is because they do not want the players giving out their age. It is a way to protect the younger players because you never know who plays this game and what their background is.

Sincerely,
Esmee RainbowWalker ;-)

Historian
May 15, 2009
thats wizard101 central the main forum site and mini games

the reason we cant say numbers is because they dont want players giving each other their phone numbers and stuff

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Umrag wrote:
It is also irritating that you can't say numbers. I don't see how you could say something inappropriate with numbers.

Lol, you really have some issues if you can't figure this out. With numbers, you can give out phone numbers, home addresses, etc. That would be giving out personal info. So in other words, an evil person can drive to your house and go "Knock, Knock" on your door whenever he or she wants. Who knows what danger that would put people in. If you want to give out your lvl, use menu chat, its no big deal.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Numbers are not permitted because it can be used to give out personal information, such as age or address. This is to protect the children from predators.

While it appears that you can spell out the numbers (most of the time) when used in past tense form, you cannot string them together.

You most likely stumbled upon wizard101central.com

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
ReginaClaire wrote:
The reason the numbers are not allowed is because they do not want the players giving out their age. It is a way to protect the younger players because you never know who plays this game and what their background is.

Sincerely,
Esmee RainbowWalker ;-)

That is understandable and acceptable. I've only been a part of this game for about 5 days. I'm happy to know how secure the system is here.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2010
i also hate the number block but what they should do it if the number is more than 5 numbers BLOCK it. if it is after the words i am or i is it should also block

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
maybe you could change it so that you can say
LEVEL 10
but if its the number alone, block it
and btw, there still are unblocked ways to ask someone their age, such as "how many years are you" or "how many years do you have", etc

Survivor
Dec 08, 2009
I think that you should be able to say "I'm sorry, what did you say?". Sometimes, when I am eating lunch, I come back and one of my friends is right there and I can't say anything!!! I feel so HELPLESS!!!!! (By the way, is it possible to have Text Chat on an account that has Easy Chat once you are 13 or what ever the age limit thing is????? If not, PLEASE make it so!!!!!!)

Zachary Fireheart LV. 19 Fire Wizard

Survivor
Sep 17, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
I just started playing this game three days ago and I am hooked! But I've been rather surprised at the limited acceptable vocabulary in the chat system of the game. I understand it is to keep things clean which I agree with. But my issue lies in not being able to communicate using this list of words I've put together:

Actor, actress, Whoosh, disqualify. I'm sure there are a lot more words which may have not been considered but I am not entirely clear why these words were left out. Certain text faces are allowed like :p or the smile and the frown. Are there any plans to increase the vocabulary of the chat? Anyone else have suggestions for words they may want to see added to the chat vocabulary?

here are some words i want added: grover, carpetS (chars first name)'s, greek, USA, athena, hephaestus, hermes, apollo, hera, :3, olympus, percy, hogwarts, rugS, numbers 1-60 (for lvl), err, latin, actor
there are others i cant hink of right now XD. i also want to see it easier to say 'have you seen any__?' in menu talk.
it also seems weird that you can say 'zeus' and 'artemus' but not any of ther other greek gods. i think you should be able to say all of them.
Paul 'Percy' Thunderthief

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
There are some that it just makes no sence at all. you can put grapes but not grape. there are a lot of things you can not put 's. And thats even with 18+ chat

Explorer
Dec 02, 2009
I just think you should be able to say the word flu. For use in sentences like: I have the fizzle flu. Or: Fizzle flu is contagious!

Kimberly Thunderheart, master diviner

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
It irritates me that we can't say "U" insted of you or "R" instead of are. It's also annoying that we have to use apostrophes for every contraction. It'd be easier if we didnt have to